• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S2| You guys look like shit - Wednesdays on Syfy

JackDT

Knowing that I know from the book I'm sad we don't get a ton more scenes with Miller and Diogo. They have so much on screen chemistry, I love every conversation between them. If this were a TV show that wasn't based on novels you know the writers room would be like, "We gotta keep these two together!"

jerry113

Banned
poor mormons

edit: this episode's visuals were amazing. those rocket booster things off the mormon ship remind me of the garden of kadesh from homeworld

It was funny when they were showing the Navuoo coming to hit Eros from Miller's angle, it was like 'well that looks weird/not well done', then it missed :eek:

Why was Ceres just left unguarded for them to have been able to attempt this plan in the first place?

In addition to the already mentioned Mars ships being retasked, nobody gives a shit about Eros. (I got them hella mixed up when the new season started too)

Zousi

These characters are really starting to grow on me (especially the Rocinante crew). I mean that decision by Holden for example. Just great great stuff. This season is really bringing it.

What about Protogen and their stealth ships? Wouldn't they want to defend their experiment?

The Donniger took out like 3 or 4 of them. Rocci got 1. One was overtaken by protomocule and nuked. How many are even left? 2?

Which stealth ship was the one Fred gave to Avasarala?

kirblar

These characters are really starting to grow on me (especially the Rocinante crew). I mean that decision by Holden for example. Just great great stuff. This season is really bringing it.
The progression leading up to that is a fun narrative chain (knowing that we're still in "book 1" stuff) - first Amos shoots the dude w/ Miller mad, then Miller shoots the Scientist w/ Holden mad, and then Holden gets forced to make that type of call....and makes the same choice they did.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Damn, that automated tug fleet sequence was the coolest thing ever. At least until they do something like that again. ;)

diaspora

Spoilers for Babylon's Ashes but I'm curious to see how they'll eventually if at all will handle
killing two thirds of the population on Earth via an asteroid bombardment.
On a related note, I'm disappointed that most sci-fi doesn't delve into this in general as far as
space wars
are concerned. It was hinted at when people talk about the Krogan Rebellions in ME3, but still...

lt519

Had to step away for a week for work, gotta catch up on the latest episode. My Google Now feed has some cards from pretty major publications giving the show some positive buzz.

I also got an email from Amazon advertising shows and in the photo they had The Expanse right along Mr. Robot and their other exclusives.

Ricker

Anyone in Canada watching this on Space getting an episode of the Librarians instead in the last 2 weeks...? annoying.

Ristifer

Anyone in Canada watching this on Space getting an episode of the Librarians instead in the last 2 weeks...? annoying.
At 10pm? Hasn't happened to me up to this point.

The episodes are on space.ca if you needed to catch up, though.

lt519

The drone fleet turning the Navou was outstanding and great CGI all around. The space walk was a little cheesy though and badly green screened, could have done without.

Amos is hysterical too. "Feels like we're covering up a crime." "It does feel like that..."

Great episode, this season continues to be fantastic.

Volimar

The drone fleet turning the Navou was outstanding and great CGI all around. The space walk was a little cheesy though and badly green screened, could have done without.

Amos is hysterical too. "Feels like we're covering up a crime." "It does feel like that..."

Great episode, this season continues to be fantastic.

"You ever talk to a pedophile?"

Ricker

At 10pm? Hasn't happened to me up to this point.

The episodes are on space.ca if you needed to catch up, though.

No not at 10,I DVR it later,it replays at 2 in the morning, just before the Librarians actually so maybe thats why,will record at 10 next week then,thanks.

Jag

Spoilers for Babylon's Ashes but I'm curious to see how they'll eventually if at all will handle
killing two thirds of the population on Earth via an asteroid bombardment.
On a related note, I'm disappointed that most sci-fi doesn't delve into this in general as far as
space wars
are concerned. It was hinted at when people talk about the Krogan Rebellions in ME3, but still...

In the last episode, Avasarala did mention that (late book series spoiler)
Mars "could throw rocks down the well" at Earth. Thought it was a good piece of foreshadowing and showing their fear that it could happen.

Somewhere in space the Navoo is still speeding along with no one on it.

Yeah, I do kinda feel a little sorry for the Mormons. The Nauvoo has either been driven into a star or jetted off into the void and with that they have essentially lost their grand ark with no real effect on the Eros situation.

Yeah, I do kinda feel a little sorry for the Mormons. The Nauvoo has either been driven into a star or jetted off into the void and with that they have essentially lost their grand ark with no real effect on the Eros situation.

That was one thing that always felt weird to me, like why would the Mormons sub contract this whole thing out to OPA and Fred Johnson? By their very nature Mormons are extremely self reliant and have a long history of DIY.

It would have felt more realistic to me if maybe someone like Scientology, the Catholic Church, a brand new mix religion ala Dune's ZenSunni, or a corporation would have been the ones behind the ship. But then maybe people would have focused too much on that instead of just the Nauvoo itself.

Jag

That was one thing that always felt weird to me, like why would the Mormons sub contract this whole thing out to OPA and Fred Johnson? By their very nature Mormons are extremely self reliant and have a long history of DIY.

It would have felt more realistic to me if maybe someone like Scientology, the Catholic Church, a brand new mix religion ala Dune's ZenSunni, or a corporation would have been the ones behind the ship. But then maybe people would have focused too much on that instead of just the Nauvoo itself.

They did address it in (I think) Episode 4 when the Mormon brother expresses concern to Johnson and his connections to OPA. I always just assumed that Tycho Station was the only one that could accommodate their needs.

Brother Smith: Mr. Johnson, the Latter-day Saints took a considerable risk hiring you to build the Nauvoo.

Fred Johnson: I know. Tycho spins up asteroids. We don’t build ships. Not ‘till now. But trust me, it will be a ship no one will ever forget.

Brother Smith: That’s not what I meant. I meant you. There have been rumblings that you should be replaced as head of operations for the project.

Fred Johnson: Why is that?

Brother Smith: You’re ties to the OPA have been making a number of elders and the general authorities uncomfortable, particularly in light of recent events in the Belt.

LDSS-Nauvoo.png

It's also worth noting that Tycho Station isn't actually owned by Fred Johnson. I think he's just the project leader or whatever for the building of the Nuavoo.

From what I remember from the first(?) book, the station itself is ran by an Engineering Corporation headed by the grandson of the person who founded it. Part of the Tycho family at the very least. The station just has ties to the OPA. In the same vein though, the station also has ties to both Mars and Earth, as they make heavy "contributions" to both governments as a way to ensure neutrality if attacked.

EDIT: Yeah, as in the quote above, Fred is just the Head of Operations for the project. I can't imagine they'll have specifically contracted him for the job. More likely they contracted with the Tycho corp, and were just given him as the manager with little say in the matter.

Isn't Tycho Station by far the most advanced engineering contractor in the whole system? The one you call every time you want something impossible built?

It was in one of the Miller chapters in Book 1 afair.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Ok I finally got myself in the mood and watched s1e2. Picked up a bit. I think I'm starting to like it.

Still kind of bugs me that this character looks like james Franco/ kit Harrington/ and Jay bucharel had a baby heh

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Does this show stream anywhere (in its entirety) like Amazon, Hulu, Netflix?

I subscribe to all those...

Paganmoon

Does this show stream anywhere (in its entirety) like Amazon, Hulu, Netflix?

I subscribe to all those...

S1 is on Netflix and S2 should be too once it's broadcast

S1 isn't on Netflix in the US (as Evolved also has Amazon and Hulu, I'm guessing he's in the US), though S1 should be available through Amazon I think.
Afaik, streamingwise for season 2 it is currently only available through SyFy's own streaming service.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
S1 isn't on Netflix in the US (as Evolved also has Amazon and Hulu, I'm guessing he's in the US), though S1 should be available through Amazon I think.
Afaik, streamingwise for season 2 it is currently only available through SyFy's own streaming service.
Ahhh okay. Thanks.

raindoc

TV Series got me hooked, started reading the books. Just finished #3 and there's one two things I need to know - Questions contain spoilers from the first three books:
1) Do the books explore the aliens that built the slow zone/the ring? and
2) same question concerning what brought on their downfall

I don't want any specifics and I know that 1/3 of the planned series hasn't released yet, but do the 4th-6th book shed more light on the backstory of the rings/their creators & their downfall? is there a tendency that makes you expect a solution to the question "what the hell happened to these guys?" or does it look like the authors will treat this as a mystery that'll stay unsolved?

I'm happy with the books either way, but since I'm a sucker for (fictional) ancient alien shit, I feel the need to keep my expectations in check.

Moff

TV Series got me hooked, started reading the books. Just finished #3 and there's one two things I need to know - Questions contain spoilers from the first three books:

I don't want any specifics and I know that 1/3 of the planned series hasn't released yet, but do the 4th-6th book shed more light on the backstory of the rings/their creators & their downfall? is there a tendency that makes you expect a solution to the question "what the hell happened to these guys?" or does it look like the authors will treat this as a mystery that'll stay unsolved?

I'm happy with the books either way, but since I'm a sucker for (fictional) ancient alien shit, I feel the need to keep my expectations in check.

............................................................................................................ ................................... ........................................ ........................................ .......................................... no .................................... .......................... ............................. .............................. ............................... ................

DieH@rd

Banned

Book4 is set fully on the other side of the gate, while 5-6 are back in solar system. As for aliens, we only get hints of their downfall, and then later slow hints about what/who brought them down.

Just keep on reading. Books are good, but what you really want will be unveiled in the books that are still unreleased.

Rolfgang

Finally got the time to start with season 2 and binged the four episodes in one sitting. Goddamn, this season is awesome! I love the chemistry between Miller and Diego and Amos being the cool, cuddly, homicidal maniac as always. Perfect.

Carn82

1: yes, or at least, whats left of things
2: we don't know yet, but I think we will

It's a pretty slow series, and a bit to 'pulpy' for my taste, but I enjoy the books.

New episode tonight:
Home

It's a race against time as the Rocinante chases an asteroid, now hurtling toward Earth. As Earth prepares for the worst, Avasarala is surprised to learn Holden is still alive and that the Rocinante may be Earth's only hope of averting a cataclysmic disaster.

- io9: What The Expanse Can Teach Us About How Life in Space Will Change Our Bodies
- TheRinger: On the Fang’s Edge of TV’s Video Game Gold Rush (includes a few quotes from Ty Franck)
Ty Franck, the prolific coauthor of The Expanse, a sci-fi book series that’s since been adapted as an acclaimed Syfy TV series of the same name, laments the traditional tendency to turn each adaptation into “a two-hour hit list of Easter eggs for people who played rather than making an interesting story.” Franck initially conceptualized The Expanse’s mixture of military conflict and political intrigue in a future where humanity has colonized most of the solar system as the basis for a massively multiplayer online game that he envisioned as “basically sci-fi World of Warcraft.” When the MMO didn’t materialize, he turned it into a tabletop game and then the book series before Syfy came calling. Even in its current incarnation, The Expanse’s many factions and settings — or instances, as Franck originally imagined them — reveal its video game roots.

“If you try to stuff 10 hours of TV into a two-hour movie, obviously that doesn’t work,” Franck says. “And the same thing with the video game stuff. I did all the side quests the first time I played Baldur’s Gate II. It probably took me 120 hours to play the whole thing. Obviously you couldn’t tell the story that I played through in that game in a two-hour movie. Could you do a two-hour movie in the Baldur’s Gate setting? Probably. … It would not be the story that I had played, but it would be in the setting. And I think that’s the other thing, you’ve got to know what medium you’re using and what the strengths and weaknesses of the medium are, and play to its strengths.”

TV’s strength is the space and complexity to let The Expanse stay The Expanse without dramatically reducing its scope. “I think TV allows you to build worlds,” Shankar says. “Not allows you — in TV you have to build a world. It’s about characters in worlds. … [Video game] worlds are inherently interesting. Having more time to explore, you can actually populate that world more.”

It doesn't make sense though, The Expanse doesn't begin it's run this Wednesday evening, it's aired 4 eps already? What exactly are they saying, and were do they source that info?
Yeah, I'm not sure where they're getting it, but thought I'd pass it along. I assume that at this point they'd wait for the season to conclude before releasing it on Netflix. *shrugs*

Top Bottom