• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

Branduil

This is a likely scenario. I'm just hoping that Miyazaki screws up the production of his film so that Ghibli has no choice but to realize Bamboo Cutter, because I have more faith in Takahata making a good film at this point, even though it's been 13 years since his last one.

What has Takahata been doing the last 13 years?

Watched Arrietty in the theater when it was out a couple months ago... beautiful hand drawn artwork on THE BIG SCREEN! Awesome.

Tales from Earthsea is so bad partly because it shares a catalog with some of the greatest animated films of our time and partly because it is totally uninteresting. I like the music though.

I really can't express enough how much I love Studio Ghibli's movies.

Watched Arrietty in the theater when it was out a couple months ago... beautiful hand drawn artwork on THE BIG SCREEN! Awesome.

The only ones I ever got to see in theaters were Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle

I wish I had gone to see Mononoke in theaters, I think it was playing around here back then but I didn't see that movie until it was on DVD, and it was my first Ghibli movie

GCX

Arrietty is a great movie. A beautiful soundtrack, amazing art and animation, nice little story and an interesting slightly melancholic overal tone. Oh and also awesome sound effects.

J2 Cool

Disappointed by Arriety, and previously Ponyo and Tales from Earthsea. Love earlier Ghibli productions, Takahata in particular. I'm going to check out Gauche the Cellist, and also looking forward to From Up on Poppy Hill - I think it comes out on DVD/Bluray on June 20th in Japan. I've heard good things about it.

wonzo

Banned
Porco Rosso is the greatest Ghibli movie by Miyazaki and Castle of Cagliostro is a close second. (even if it isn't technically a Ghibli movie!)

Hm. Is the animation at least nice? I looked at a couple of screen caps and it seems to look good.
It's the least visually engaging Ghibli movies I've ever seen but the incredible climax more than makes up for that. lol

Moaradin

I just saw Arietty. I really liked it. Out of all of them I've seen so far, here is how I would rate them.

1. Princess Mononoke
2. Nausicaa
3. Arietty
4. Castle in the Sky
5. Spirited Away
6. Howl's Moving Castle

Moving onto Grave of the Fireflies now.

edit: fuck that movie.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Kiki is my favorite.. saw it about a week or two before I moved to Japan so.. it sums up my feelings and experience almost perfectly

I find it hard to get enthused about new Ghibli projects.
I feel the studio peaked with Spirited Away and, though containing greats moments and heaps of potential, everything from the past decade has been disappointing.

Munin

Boggles my mind how you can be disappointed by Arrietty. It was better than the last 2 films by Miyazaki (and much much better than that overrated, messy Nausicaa re-hash called Mononoke)

Meier

0l4VF.jpg

Worth every penny!

Totoro, grave of the fireflies & up from poppy hill pre- ordered!

Still waiting for spirited away & mononoke though :(

OMG this is lovely.. I'm so jealous. :eek:

Fritz

Not sure if you are serious, but no. Maybe when you confuse it with Ponyo, but I doubt that.

Another little Nemo.

Didn't Miyazaki produce a promo to pitch his ideas for the movie or something?

Edit: Apparently just rumors that have been proven false

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/nonmiyazaki/ said:
"Little Nemo" was an American/Japanese joint project, and Miyazaki and Takahata were involved in the pre-production stage during 1982 and 1983. However, due to creative differences with the American producers, both quit the project. It was finally made into a movie with different staff members and released in 1989 in Japan.

There is a rumor that two pilot films in the Japanese "Nemo" LD box set were done by Miyazaki and Takahata, but they were actually done by Yoshifumi KONDOU and Osamu DEZAKI, respectively. Roger Ebert has done a review of the US release.

Here is the test clip (not a promo) done by Yoshifumi Kondo nonetheless.

Daft_Cat

Unfortunately, I'm about as unoriginal as it gets when it comes to Ghibli. My faves are probably Spirited Away, Mononoke, Totoro, and Howl..in that order. I really love Miyazaki's somewhat operatic period, and in addition to that, Totoro is probably my favourite family film.

Ranking the films sort of sells the rest of the catalogue short, though. There's only one Ghibli movie I flat out don't enjoy (Earthsea).

Of their latest couple of films, while I enjoyed From up on Poppy Hill a whole lot (caught it at TIFF), but it's got nothing on Arrietty.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I find it hard to get enthused about new Ghibli projects.
I feel the studio peaked with Spirited Away and, though containing greats moments and heaps of potential, everything from the past decade has been disappointing.
That's because Takahata hasn't made anything new yet. Get hype for Bamboo Cutter, man.

Miyazaki peaked at Porco Rosso, tbh.

jett

D-Member
I've enjoyed all of the Ghibli movies I've seen(except Earthsea), my favorite is Spirited Away. Really magical stuff.

I've missed some of the older classics like Porco Rosso and My Neighbor Totoro, I should probably rectify this soon.

Without a shadow of a doubt, it has the best backgrounds in Ghibli, and probably in all of animation.

sunset.jpg

So gorgeous.

Are you forgetting about Disney there, buddy? :p

Futureman

Maybe I'm just not that critical, but I don't get the hate for Ghibili's past decade of movies. Loved all of them. I need to do some re-watches soon though.

Watched Kiki last night. They really love their 12-13ish young girl protagonists!

tuffy

Grave of the Fireflies is based on a true story? That's ruined my day/year.
It is, with one obvious difference about the author's fate.
Akiyuki Nosaka said:
My sister's death is an exact match with the novel. It was one week after the end of the war. At the countryside of Fukui prefecture where I was, it was the day the restrictions on lighting were removed. It must have been the 22nd. It was evening, and I was picking up my sister's bones. I was coming home in a daze when I saw the village lit up. There was nothing like my surprise then. My sister died in my side of the world, and the light was coming back in the other.

Honestly speaking, there was also relief that she died and my burden was gone. No one would wake me up in the night like she did with her crying, and I wouldn't have to wander around with a child on my back any more. I'm very sorry to say this about my sister, but I did have those feelings too. That's why I haven't gone back to my novel (Grave of the Fireflies, published in 1967) to re-read it, since I hate that. It's so hypocritical. It must be absolutely true that Seita must have thought of his sister as a burden too. He must have thought that he could have escaped better if it weren't for her.

There are many things that I just couldn't get myself to write into the story. During composition, the older brother got increasingly transformed into a better human being. I was trying to compensate for everything I couldn't do myself. I always thought I wanted to perform these generous acts in my head, but I couldn't do so. I always thought I wouldn't eat and would give the food to my little sister, but when I actually had the piece of food in my hand, I was hungry after all, so I'd eat it. And there was nothing like the deliciousness of eating in a situation like that. And the pain that followed was just as big. I'd think there is no one more hopeless in the world than me. I didn't put anything about this in the novel.

Chibits12

Banned
I just finished watching Borrowers Arriety. It's such a great movie but too short.

I love how each and every Studio Ghibli movie just pulls you into the story and leave you wanting for more. When I saw Porco Rosso the first time, the whole Baltic Sea theme of the story, circa 1920's, definitely caught my attention.

Great story-telling and atmosphere, the soundtrack and character development, make Studio Ghibli what they are now: one of the last animation studios that deliver quality entertainment.

Concept17

Saw some Ghibli movies at Target the other day and wanted to pick a couple up, but wasn't sure what to go with.

I've only seen Spirited Away, Ponyo, and Howl's Moving Castle. Enjoyed all 3, Ponyo probably the least, but it was still enjoyable.

Any recommendations on which one I should get next? (that can be found in stores)

GCX

Saw some Ghibli movies at Target the other day and wanted to pick a couple up, but wasn't sure what to go with.

I've only seen Spirited Away, Ponyo, and Howl's Moving Castle. Enjoyed all 3, Ponyo probably the least, but it was still enjoyable.

Any recommendations on which one I should get next? (that can be found in stores)
Princess Mononoke is a pretty safe place to start. Everything's fine though except Tales from Earthsea.

Futureman

I think it's pretty interesting how the main character is usually a young female in Ghibli films. Have they commented on that? Is it more of a Japanese thing, or more of Ghibli wants to shake up what is the norm in movies (male leads)? Haven't seen them all, but it looks like Mononoke and Porco are the only ones with male leads.

Miyazaki likes heroines more than heroes, and he's a casual feminist of sorts too (mainly because he sees them as more hard-working, IDK?). Not that he doesn't give the spotlight to men on the occasion: stuff like Laputa, Conan, and Mononoke have some class-A manly men.

What's weird is how they decided to do a different encoding for each region's release for video. You would think there would just be one master Blu-ray encoding released by Ghibli, and all the different regions would then just change the audio...

But whatever though, looking at some of those comparison pictures, it's really splitting hairs (though the colors did look worse in the Hong Kong encoding, like it's a different mastering almost).

Risette

A Good Citizen
What's weird is how they decided to do a different encoding for each region's release for video. You would think there would just be one master Blu-ray encoding released by Ghibli, and all the different regions would then just change the audio...

But whatever though, looking at some of those comparison pictures, it's really splitting hairs (though the colors did look worse in the Hong Kong encoding, like it's a different mastering almost).
Well later HK releases are just ports of the JP video encode, which are really high bitrate compared to everything else. I don't think it'd fit with the stuff Disney puts on the US BDs.

Futureman

is there an actual legit way to watch the Cellist film? I can't seem to find one in the US, but I didn't look too hard.

also... any good books on Ghibli? I'd be more interested in learning about the company and how they make a movie rather then art books.

Kazzy

I thought it got plenty of love? Most Ghibli films tend to be marked as the holy grails of Japanese animation these days.

It does seem to have a reputation as something of a dark-horse in the Ghibli catalogue. That said, only a fool would consider it anything but one of the very best.

Never seemed like it was the oddball-out to me at all! I guess that;s because my father loves Porco so much he cosplayed as the jolly man when my family still went to A-KON.

Fusebox

Banned
Never seemed like it was the oddball-out to me at all! I guess that;s because my father loves Porco so much he cosplayed as the jolly man when my family still went to A-KON.

Haha, too cool. Porco was the first Ghibli I ever saw as well and I can remember dad calling out to me and telling me to come and watch it with him on TV.

I've become indifferent towards Miyazaki's movies these days (mostly due to overexposure and the pomp surrounding his productions), but Porco will always stay with me. Probably my favorite Miyazaki film, now that I think about it.

Jazzem

Was in kind of a crappy mood, which coupled with this thread made me watch Arietty. Cheered me up just fine :)

Couldn't get over how amazing it looked, I kept marvelling at the immensely detailed backgrounds and smooth animation. Loved the soundtrack as well.

I can understand complaints about the story being slight, but it was still very well executed and touching. As always with these films, the characters felt genuine and well developed.

Hopefully Poppy Hill gets a UK DVD release soon so I can be up to date. As i say I've been a bit unhappy lately, so will probably be rewatching some older Ghiblis; these films are so uplifting :)*

*I know I know, Grave of the Fireflies aside. That one isn't getting a rewatch anytime soon!

GCX

I think it's pretty interesting how the main character is usually a young female in Ghibli films. Have they commented on that? Is it more of a Japanese thing, or more of Ghibli wants to shake up what is the norm in movies (male leads)? Haven't seen them all, but it looks like Mononoke and Porco are the only ones with male leads.
I don't think Miyazaki thinks too much about demographics or "shaking up the norm", telling stories via young female leads just seems to be his thing and suits him best. I don't think it needs to be more logical than that.

The female roles tend to get even stronger when the movie has a male lead. Fio and Gina from Porco Rosso and San and Lady Eboshi from Mononoke are some of the strongest characters in Ghibli movies.

Top Bottom