• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

Moaradin

Finished all the main movies besides Totoro and Ponyo. Haven't seen those yet. I've come to a point where I can't even rate them, only put them in Categories.

Amazing:
Nausicaa
Mononoke
Grave of the Fireflies
Porco Rosso

Great:
Arrietty
Whisper of the Heart
Castle in the Sky
Kiki's Delivery Service
Spirited Away

Good:
Howl's Moving Castle

I honestly loved all those movies, but the first four stood out the most to me.

GCX

Finished all the main movies besides Totoro and Ponyo. Haven't seen those yet. I've come to a point where I can't even rate them, only put them in Categories.

Amazing:
Nausicaa
Mononoke
Grave of the Fireflies
Porco Rosso

Great:
Arrietty
Whisper of the Heart
Castle in the Sky
Kiki's Delivery Service
Spirited Away

Good:
Howl's Moving Castle

I honestly loved all those movies, but the first four stood out the most to me.
If you loved Nausicaa that much, I'd recommend reading the Nausicaa manga. It's Miyazaki's life work which he drew for 12 years and honestly it's one of the best things I've ever read. The movie only loosely covers the first 2 of the 7 volumes.

The artwork is pretty awesome too:

DdvWP.jpg

Akira

Have not seen:

Pom Poko
Only Yesterday
Cat Returns
Laputa
Arietty
Porco Rosso
Castle of Cagliastro

Each time I watch a never-seen before Ghibli film, I get a little bit sad to know that there is one less to be seen.

My favorite is probably still Princess Mononoke. Back when it got a US release by Disney, I randomly saw scenes of it on a TV show but I couldn't recall the title. I was utterly fascinated at the world I saw in those few seconds of the film. Thankfully I rediscovered it a month later. Great, great film.

If you loved Nausicaa that much, I'd recommend reading the Nausicaa manga. It's Miyazaki's life work which he drew for 12 years and honestly it's one of the best things I've ever read. The movie only loosely covers the first 2 of the 7 volumes.

The artwork is pretty awesome too:

DdvWP.jpg

My favorite manga of all time, and the reaon why I have not seen Nausicaa yet.

omgkitty

Have not seen:

Pom Poko
Only Yesterday
Cat Returns
Laputa
Arietty
Porco Rosso
Castle of Cagliastro

Each time I watch a never-seen before Ghibli film, I get a little bit sad to know that there is one less to be seen.

My favorite is probably still Princess Mononoke. Back when it got a US release by Disney, I randomly saw scenes of it on a TV show but I couldn't recall the title. I was utterly fascinated at the world I saw in those few seconds of the film. Thankfully I rediscovered it a month later. Great, great film.

That's exactly how I feel. Also, I have never seen Princess Mononoke....I should probably remedy that.

So I watched My Neighbors the Yamadas last night.

It was good. I loved the art style, and a lot of the family themes are universal across cultures. It was definitely meant for Japanese people, however.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Have not seen:

Pom Poko
Only Yesterday
Cat Returns
Laputa
Arietty
Porco Rosso
Castle of Cagliastro

Once you watch all Ghibli films, there's plenty of pre-Ghibli Miyazaki/Takahata works to work your way through!

Friends of mine have two young girls. I bought them Totoro. Hopefully they'll love it.

Me, I'm currently buying the less known DVD:s. I watched Ponpoko the other day and wasn't too thrilled with it. Very random in its storytelling, although the ending was gripping as usual.

I'm also not too big a fan of Porco Rosso and Laputa. Mononoke, Totoro, Sen, Nausicaä and Arrietty are my favourites, I think.

Oh, and: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GVs6HxoBQI

I just remembered that I need to get the Arrietty soundtrack. Some totally awesome music there and it's not even Hisaishi.

Jazzem

Just saw Howl's Moving Castle for the second time, first saw it years ago.

Amazing visuals as typical for Ghibli, so many creative touches and effects! The movie had a lot of nice character moments too.

Unfortunately I can see why some have issues with it; the story gets very muddled as it goes on. To be honest, it kind of lost me at points; even though it was 110 minutes long it still felt rushed and weirdly paced.

Still really enjoyed it, but probably my least favourite Miyazaki flick. Of course, that still translates to a terrific film by usual film standards!

Who here's watched the first Lupin series from 1971? It's got a lot of pre-Ghibli representation in it, at least for 2/3 of the entire series. And I think a lot of people would like to see where TV Lupin was first formed, especially because of Yasuo Otsuka's excellent key animation team, and also because of the awesome soundtrack.

A warning, though: the first several episodes were directed by someone unrelated to Ghibli, Masaaki Osumi. I love his directing style due to its similarities to the Takahata style, but it's different: grittier, more adult overall, and does riskier things with Lupin and the gang. Get past that (and/or skip the Osumi episodes), and you'll get the stuff you're interested in.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Once you watch all Ghibli films, there's plenty of pre-Ghibli Miyazaki/Takahata works to work your way through!

Heed this man.

Who here's watched the first Lupin series from 1971? It's got a lot of pre-Ghibli representation in it, at least for 2/3 of the entire series. And I think a lot of people would like to see where TV Lupin was first formed, especially because of Yasuo Otsuka's excellent key animation team, and also because of the awesome soundtrack.

A warning, though: the first several episodes were directed by someone unrelated to Ghibli, Masaaki Osumi. I love his directing style due to its similarities to the Takahata style, but it's different: grittier, more adult overall, and does riskier things with Lupin and the gang. Get past that (and/or skip the Osumi episodes), and you'll get the stuff you're interested in.

The first Lupin series is always a favourite, though I haven't rewatched it in quite a long time. I still firmly believe that those who enjoyed Castle of Cagliostro should pursue watching the Lupin series afterward, rather than Lupin series > Cagliostro. Though that's entirely through personal experience.

Tuck

Castle of the Sky... god like. Wow, its so good.

Ghibli's ability to craft unique worlds that seem so full of life and creativity is unmatched.

The girl's dialogue is a little iffy at times though.

Just thought I'd give a heads-up to any Seattle GAF that as a part of Seattle International Film Festival, the Egyptian Theater in Capitol Hill is showing 15 different Ghibli movies throughout June.

castles in the sky: miyazaki, takahata and the masters of studio ghibli

To answer the implied question, my favorite Ghibli movie is Kiki's Delivery Service and I'm really excited to see it on a big screen; my family is Totoro crazy. Went to the Ghibli Museum in 2010 and loved every second of it (even the million people that seemed to be there).

Just watched Arrietty, it was quite enjoyable. I wouldn't put it in God tier Ghibli, but still a solid film. A bit of a relief too after the disappointments of Earthsea and Ponyo. (Ponyo wasn't so bad though, just very limited.)

Anyway, looking forward to From Up On Poppy Hill. It's giving me a strong Only Yesterday/Whisper of the Heart vibe.

cj_iwakura

Okay, Ghibli-GAF. Fire up your DVD players or fire up your Netflix.

036.jpg

We're goin' in. It begins now.
I've never seen Castle of Cagliostro, these will be first-time impressions.

cj_iwakura

Loved it.

IMG_6563.jpg

Not quite in my top 5, but I see the Ghibli style all over this film, especially Clarice. Wonderful cast overall. I need to see more Lupin.

I could easily review CoC on a whim. Seen it way too many times, more than enough to know it by memory. Off on another tangent, though I did post my impressions of...

Puss in Boots (1969)

I set my expectations accordingly for this one, knowing it would have a musical number in it somewhere, knowing the plot was pointless, and ever aware that the swords—were pointed. But the film definitely impressed me with not only its fluid animation, but its rough, sketchy, and off-the-walls satire of the typical Disney flick. The key animators had too much fun making fun out of thin air with this one, yet they also took time out to sneak some subversive scenes in here and there, not to mention the fact that Pero himself is a con-man well above the rest. It's not everyday that a cat works with an army of mic to con the farmers and out-of-town-ers into preparing a royal procession down a country road, accompanied by a widely-variable gramophone that Pero's loyal retainers can barely handle!—but wait: there's more! And more.

Seeing as this is the penultimate film of any historical interest in the Toei catalog (a list made final by Taro the Dragon Boy, which is definitely worth a look from what I've heard), I'm glad that the animators, particularly the ones that would find themselves heading up major projects at TMS and NipponAni, essentially went all-out with nothing to lost and everything to gain from doing a project like this. Sure: the characters are one-dimensional, made of lines of sharp like blades, but the never-ending number of gags, upheavals, and Lucifer making a complete and utter fool of himself was just too damn funny. A real feel-good experience, a project that combats the butchered Horus with its own brand of tongue-in-cheek satire and, by proxy, conscious mockery of the studio executives themselves.
—back in the AnimeGAF OT. It's a film notable for being the first instance of a Miyazaki/Otsuka castle chase sequence, which just gets insane and crazy before you know it. Also the film wherefrom Toei's mascot, Pero as Puss in Boots, originates.

If you're going to watch more Lupin: check out the upcoming Discotek release of the first Lupin TV series, initially directed by the venerable Masaaki Osumi and, a third into the production, both Miyazaki and Takahata. There's also a whole bunch of Red Jacket (series 2) episodes directed by Miyazaki and produced by Telecom Ani, but this new box-set looks to be a great deal.

Fusebox

Banned
I watched Arrietty on the weekend, it was kind of sad. They get uprooted from their home, Arrietty is destined to get macked on by Spiller the caveman, and Haru doesn't get taught a lesson for being such a spiteful hag. Kind of a lose-lose situation all round.

Duderz

Banned
I also just finished Arrietty for the first time. It was a little melancholic, but good lord, easily the best Ghibli movie since Spirited Away. I absolutely loved it. The story was coherent, the characters were extremely likeable, with Arrietty taking firm grasp of a strong female lead, but the standouts for me were the backgrounds and the soundtrack. That really elevated this movie to the higher pantheon of Ghibli films, and after watching Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo (and hearing nothing but negativity surrounding Tales from Earthsea), I was afraid their best years were behind them.

Highly recommended. And since everyone else is doing it:

Amazing

Laputa: Castle in the Sky
My Neighbor Totoro
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away

Great

Lupin the III: Castle of Cagliostro
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Grave of the Fireflies
Kiki's Delivery Service
Only Yesterday
Porco Rosso
The Secret World of Arrietty

Decent

Howl's Moving Castle

Meh

Pom Poko
The Cat Returns
Ponyo

watkinzez

UFNGv.jpg

This arrived yesterday. :D
My hastily cobbled together thoughts follow.

From Up on Poppy Hill is the latest film from Studio Ghibli, directed by Goro Miyazaki, son of Hayao. Goro's previous film was the woeful Tales from Earthsea. Thankfully this one is a heck of a lot better.

The film takes place a year before the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, a historically significant event in which Japan showed the rest of the world how much had changed since the war. The main driving force concerns a group of students attempting to preserve their old clubhouse in an era that preferred to demolish the past and build anew. This central theme is delivered via a series of vignettes, like entries of a diary. On reflection, it heightens the nostalgia of the film.

Goro's direction is servicable but not as striking as Ghibli's previous film, Arrietty. That said, I'm not sure if that's a fair comparison, seeing as Hiromasa Yonebayashi had more fantastical material to present in that film. It does a good job of presenting 60s Japan, similar to the way Whisper of the Heart did with 90s urban Tokyo. One of my favourite sequences involved the characters travelling to Tokyo, the height of Japan's advancement at the time, yet still showing its ramshackle charm of yesteryear.

The music, of which I had no expectation, was a pleasant surprise. Very upbeat and jazzy, completely unlike any Ghibli soundtrack before it. My favourite element of the film, and it definitely adds a lot to the flavour.

Don't expect a classic on the order of Nausicaa or Whisper, but Poppy Hill is certainly a very nice film that I think will grow on me on repeat viewings. Goro has proved that in better circumstances he can produce good work.

Kinda Ghibli-related, but I recently checked out the Nasu films ('Summer in Andalusia' and 'A Migratory Bird with Suitcase') and they were really good! I was curious if there were any cycling anime out there and happen to come across these short films.

From the Nasu: Summer in Andalusia - wiki

Nasu: Summer in Andalusia (茄子 アンダルシアの夏, Nasu: Andarushia no Natsu?) is a 2003 Japanese anime film by Madhouse, directed by Kitarō Kōsaka, the famed animation supervisor of the Oscar-winning anime film Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke and long-time collaborator of Studio Ghibli, and adapted from a short 3-tankōbon manga by Iō Kuroda, entitled Nasu, which was serialized in the Afternoon manga magazine.

Kōsaka became interested in adapting the work after his long-time collaborator, Hayao Miyazaki, a fan of cycling, himself recommended the manga to Kōsaka. The film soon went on to become the first Japanese anime film ever to be selected for the Cannes Film Festival.

It was announced that a sequel, Nasu: A Migratory Bird with Suitcase, was being produced, which will be set in Japan on the Japan Cup Cycle Road Race, which was subsequently released in 2007. Directed by Kitarō Kōsaka, it featured Ken'ichi Yoshida, another long-time collaborator of Studio Ghibli, who has worked on several Studio Ghibli films such as Princess Mononoke and Porco Rosso, as animation director. In 2008, Nasu: A Migratory Bird with Suitcase won the best Original Video Animation award at the seventh annual Tokyo Anime Awards, held at the 2008 Tokyo International Anime Fair.

You can feel the Ghilbi charm in these films even though they're more of an adult drama, a la Porco Rosso...definitely worth checking out =)

cj_iwakura

Also, to give Manga some love: the dub of Cagliostro was great.

Also also, I was told that David 'Solid Snake' Hayter himself did Lupin's voice.

Don't know if the weekly film thing is still a thing(was it with Cagliostro?), but I'd like to do Whisper of the Heart next.

wonzo

Banned
From Up on Poppy Hill

Oh my, I had to double check that this was a Goro Miyazaki movie as this was legitimately a pretty damn good one! Everything from the really great visuals to the charming characters really all work together to make this an incredibly homely and heart-warming experience. This was definitely one of the better Ghibli movies I've seen so far.

This and Arrietty have certainly given me hope for the future of Ghibli for when Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata inevitably kick the bucket. Then again... there never would've been any cause for concern if they hand't chased away Mamoru Hosoda in the first place!

man i really wanna watch Arietty, but the BluRay is so damn expensive still hmm, do these drop in price at all afterwards? I noticed Whisper of the Heart is still like 20 bucks or something

A friend of mine hasn't seen ANY of the Hayao Miyazaki films. Yeah, I know, right? I haven't watched any of them in several years, so this gives me a good excuse to go back and view them again with fresh eyes. These will be the English dubs for anybody curious, in chronological order. First up is of course...

Castle of Cagliostro

Castle.jpg

I can't help worry about how my friend might take to the later installments of the Miyazaki overue; their decisive Japanese culture tounchstones, convoluted stories, or rapidly changing themes. But for now, there's nothing to worry about. CoC may be Miyazaki's most accessible, commercial film, which makes sense that he was working within a licensed property instead of his own creation. Even then, Miyazaki's storytelling prowess is on display, even if it lacks his fanciful creatures or economic themes.

The characters in this film are all one-dimensional and archtypical. Lupin is a thief with a heart of gold, Jigen is laidback cool partner-in-crime, Goemon is serious-face badass swordsman, etc. The Count of Cagilistro, the main antagonist, is evil with a captial EVIL, with no grey morality whatsoever. The Princess is...well, she's the princess, she has the depth of Princess Peach from the SMB series. And that's fine, as this is a big adventure film and you don't need complex character arcs or development to make it work.

The problem for me(and some other Lupin fans) is the established characterizations of certain Lupin the III cast members, namely the lead himself. I have rarely, if ever, seen Lupin THIS good-natured, trying so hard to charm and rescue the damsel-in-distress, the treasure of this quest becomes secondary. Same goes for Fujiko, who has transformed into what seems to be a completely different character from pretty much any other incarnation. Much the art style, the Lupin cast has been softened, rounded out for a more generic hero alignment, which I think loses some of the charm of these great characters.

But, if you have never seen Lupin before in your life(like my friend hasn't), none of that means a damn thing, and honestly, I really don't care that much. How can you when the film is so relentlessly charming, exciting, and flat-out fun? The action sequences in this thing are amazing; all wonderfully animated and incredibly clever. There's not a lot of tension to them(Lupin does a Looney Tunes esque leap across the castle rooftops when the plot demanded it), but again, it just doesn't matter. The movie's excellent sense of pacing and awesome set pieces mean you'll be smiling too much to come down on it's basic plotting or simplistic static characters. Even the scenes of comic relief or exposition have a sense of fun to them that is largely missing from contemporary action blockbusters. One of the best adventure films ever, no question.

So yeah, I don't know if this really prepared my friend for the ecological and really-Japanese future Miyazaki films, but this was a damn entertaining start.

Does anyone know if the US version of Arrietty includes the English vocal version of Arrietty's Song? I'm thinking of buying it, but if Disney cut it for their own stupid song, I'm not sure if I want to.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

nausicaa-of-the-valley-of-the-wind-screenshot.jpg

Castle of Cagliostro can be unflatteringly titled as "hackwork", an director working in the restraints of a license because hey, people gotta eat. Nevertheless, he at least did it with the kind of grace and sheer glee for adventure and heroic imagination that makes Miyzaki so popular. If it wasn't his preferred method of environment, the film very clearly wears his stamp as a matter of pride with every frame. Not so with Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, which begins Miyazaki's themes of eco-friendly pacifism hitched on top of fantastical, audience-friendly worlds of imagination. The leap from CoC to Nausicaa is palpable; the entire film is a sandbox of glorious imagery, a personal project that establishes Miyazaki's autuer status, one of the very few in Animation, much less Japanese animation.

Such great detail for world-building or character attributes, such wonderful colors, so many cleans lines; this is a beautiful film within every frame, the kind of feature-length endeveour to puts to shame even the might Disney's output at the similar period of 1984. This translates to the character designs, a world away from the slapstick stylings Miyazaki was a fan of in CoC and earlier portions of his career, creating a more "real", sincere world, characters more grounded in appearances in action, making the incredible sights of the otherworldly creatures that much more meaningful and important. There's a visual maturity already present this early in his feature film making career, that would just continue to grow into the future.

I focus so much on the animation instead of the plot because, quite honestly, the actual story is a bit of a wash. It's convoluted, cookie-cutter sci-fantasy stuff that was popular at the time, with boring characters, tired fantasy cliches, and long expository scenes. CoC also had archtypical characters, but they had enough personality that we can grab hold of. Sadly, none of the non-Nausicaa cast get any of that, and all essentially fancy action figures. Gentle Swordsman, Wise Old Lady, Power-Hungry Soldier, etc. There's a low level of ambiguity and nuance here combined with it's convoluted plot dressings make the narrative a frustrating watch.

But it's a very pretty watch! Oh so pretty that it often makes you forget how trite it all is. Miyazaki's skills as a storyteller at this point is his career may be a bit questionable, but his visuals are second-to-none, and that alone makes it a compelling watch.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
^ The intro to Nausicaa is just masterful. The tapestry opening, the mythic quality of it complete with Hisaishi's score, then the scene with Yupa and the introduction of Nausicaa - All absolutely stunning.

I just did a writeup for Princess Mononoke on my blog, thought I would share it since it's relevant to this thread:

Before Cameron's Avatar: Princess Mononoke

Also did one a few months ago on My Neighbour Totoro:

Children and Nature: My Neighbour Totoro

yamo

Just watched Tales from Earthsea and it was pretty bad. Story was pretty random and the characters were not really likable and acted weird most of the time. Easily the worst Ghibli movie I have ever watched.

GCX

I recently watched From Up On Poppy Hill with a friend and we both agreed that it was all around a great movie. The portrayal of the 60s was especially well done with many little touches throughout the film. All in all it's a very heartwarming experience.

The animation is of course not up there with Hayao Miyazaki movies due to budget but it's still a beautiful movie with a few really striking visual moments. Goro did great job with this one.

GCX

I couldn't find anything, but has there been any word on Tale of the Bamboo Cutter?
Toshio Suzuki (president of Ghibli) gave some lecture a few days ago where he announced that new movies from both Miyazaki and Takahata will be released next year. They will be officially announced in December so expect more news then.

Ashhong

Apparently Totoro was released on Bluray in Japan a few days ago?! Any word on a US release or should I just import it? Fuck me I must have it. Couldn't find any reviews of it with my quick search

tuffy

Apparently Totoro was released on Bluray in Japan a few days ago?! Any word on a US release or should I just import it? Fuck me I must have it. Couldn't find any reviews of it with my quick search
Disney hasn't announced it yet. Give it a few months, unless you want to pay ~¥5,000 to import it now from Amazon.co.jp - which is probably too much for most folks.

omgkitty

Disney hasn't announced it yet. Give it a few months, unless you want to pay ~¥5,000 to import it now from Amazon.co.jp - which is probably too much for most folks.

Yeah definitely. I think Japan now has almost all the films on blu-ray when we only have 5. Also the prices on these in Japan, even without shipping costs, is absolutely STUPID.

Top Bottom