• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

tuffy

Yeah definitely. I think Japan now has almost all the films on blu-ray when we only have 5. Also the prices on these in Japan, even without shipping costs, is absolutely STUPID.
Japan is missing:
  • the Cat Returns
  • Kiki's Delivery Service
  • Ocean Waves
  • Only Yesterday
  • Pom Poko
  • Porco Rosso
  • Princess Mononoke
  • Spirited Away
The US is missing:
  • From Up On Poppy Hill (licensed by GKids Films)
  • Grave of the Fireflies (licensed by Sentei, I think)
  • Howl's Moving Castle
  • Iblard Jikan
  • My Neighbor Totoro
  • My Neighbors the Yamadas
  • Tales From Earthsea
in addition to those titles missing from Japan.

Ashhong

So you guys think Disney will eventually bring Totoro out? I don't mind waiting I guess...but I don't want to be waiting when nothing is coming :( What are the chances we get that nice cover too? Slim to none...

iddqd

Has anyone ever seen the 5 DVD special on Ponyo?
Its all just about Miyazaki painting and drawing.

A friend is traveling to Japan soon and I thought I might have him pick it up if its worth it.
(it has no subs and my japanese is terrible)

tuffy

So you guys think Disney will eventually bring Totoro out? I don't mind waiting I guess...but I don't want to be waiting when nothing is coming :( What are the chances we get that nice cover too? Slim to none...
I guarantee Disney will bring out Totoro, Howl's, Earthsea, the Cat Returns, Kiki, Pom Poko, Porco Rosso, and Spirited Away on Blu Ray at some point. They like to release Ghibli stuff in threes, so we'll probably get Totoro, Howl's and Earthsea sometime around Christmas.

Ashhong

I guarantee Disney will bring out Totoro, Howl's, Earthsea, the Cat Returns, Kiki, Pom Poko, Porco Rosso, and Spirited Away on Blu Ray at some point. They like to release Ghibli stuff in threes, so we'll probably get Totoro, Howl's and Earthsea sometime around Christmas.

Guarantee huh? So if they dont, you buy me Japanese bluray? :)

tuffy

Guarantee huh? So if they dont, you buy me Japanese bluray? :)
Castle in the Sky took a couple of years and Nausicaa took a year, so my timeframe for Totoro may be optimistic. But if Disney doesn't release it by 2014, I'll have Amazon.co.jp send one to your house :)

Ashhong

Castle in the Sky took a couple of years and Nausicaa took a year, so my timeframe for Totoro may be optimistic. But if Disney doesn't release it by 2014, I'll have Amazon.co.jp send one to your house :)

Man...BOOKMARKED for December 31, 2013 :)

cj_iwakura

I still own a Mononoke VHS cause it never got a nice DVD release like the Disney Ghiblis.

I'll get a blu-ray on day one.

Mato

I own a few Ghibli dvds, southtracks and art books. Everything they make is so pretty, I could stare all day.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Toshio Suzuki (president of Ghibli) gave some lecture a few days ago where he announced that new movies from both Miyazaki and Takahata will be released next year. They will be officially announced in December so expect more news then.

Ooohh, how exciting! I can't wait. It would be cool if they were released as a double feature, ala Fireflies/Totoro.

Desmond

Finally watched Howl's (Studio Canal UK/Ireland BD)

Soooo good. The extras with John Lasseter were great too.

Also, Studio Canal Totoro/Fireflies blurays scheduled for the 12th of November

I had the pleasure of seeing From Up on Poppy Hill today, it was great :)

Where it lacked with the certain magical fantasy elements Ghibli is known for, it made up for with the charming setting and likeable characters

It's quite similar to Arrietty in it's whimsical mood, and while both Poppy Hill and Arrietty aren't quite the visual feast something like Ponyo is, I think they both have much more substance in other areas, and are better films for it

Arrietty is my favourite of the two, it's my favourite Ghibli movie in years, but I implore everyone to check out Poppy Hill as soon as they're able to, it's a really nice film!

I'm really excited to see what comes of the adaption of The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter, which is a fantastical/sci fi story involving a Moon Princess and whatnot, loads of potential to be something amazing

Finaika

I had the pleasure of seeing From Up on Poppy Hill today, it was great :)

Where it lacked with the certain magical fantasy elements Ghibli is known for, it made up for with the charming setting and likeable characters

It's quite similar to Arrietty in it's whimsical mood, and while both Poppy Hill and Arrietty aren't quite the visual feast something like Ponyo is, I think they both have much more substance in other areas, and are better films for it

Arrietty is my favourite of the two, it's my favourite Ghibli movie in years, but I implore everyone to check out Poppy Hill as soon as they're able to, it's a really nice film!

I'm really excited to see what comes of the adaption of The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter, which is a fantastical/sci fi story involving a Moon Princess and whatnot, loads of potential to be something amazing

Poopy Hill was amazing. They nailed the atmosphere perfectly.

I like it better than Arrietty though.

I only have one Ghibli movie in my collection, which is Whisper of the Heart. I only came across that after watching a bit of it on TV one year for Christmas a few years back. And I fell in love with it instantly.

Picked up the DVD after discovering it by chance in HMV and imported the Blu-ray from Japan as soon as I humanly could. I adore, adore, ADORE that film. Easily one of my favorite films ever.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Finally saw Yamadas tonight. I really enjoyed the art style and humour; I don't know why I was putting off watching it for so long.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I've only seen Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Secret World of Arrietty and My Neighbor Totoro. You guys really don't like Spirited Away? That's my favorite one. The ones I really want to see still are Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service and Nausicaa. I want to see all of them of course but those ones stick out as ones that I've missed. Great thread!

This, I am shocked it isn't getting more love in this thread, really loved it.

UrbanRats

I've seen Arrietty the other day.
It was a pretty good one, though the story arc, i felt, didn't flow as good as it could've.
I still liked Ponyo more (of the recent ones), even though maybe that one was more technically flawed.

Going by memory my ranking would be:

Mononoke
Totoro
Spirited Away
Grave of the Fireflies
Kiki's Delivery Service
Ponyo
Arrietty
Howl's moving castle
Earth & Sea

The other's i haven't seen yet or i remember jack shit.

LiK

Love Ghibli movies. Do any gaffers own and/or recommend picking up the Jp blu-rays?

only if you're willing to pay for the high prices. the Disney ones are identical, i think. but it's taking them a bit longer to bring some over here.

Desmond

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but howcome only the US dates are in the OP? Stuff like Ocean Waves has been released here.

jerry1594

only if you're willing to pay for the high prices. the Disney ones are identical, i think. but it's taking them a bit longer to bring some over here.

I love Ghibli movies to death, so I will buy no hesitation. Except I do not speak Japanese and I've gotten attached to the dubs. Are they included as audio tracks?

Also I don't get the Ponyo hate. That must have been the most magical movie I've ever seen.

watkinzez

All of them have English dubs bar Grave of the Fireflies (not released by Disney, but you're not missing much anyway) and the newer films, Poppy Hill and Arrietty. The latter got a special release with both the UK and US dub, but the packaging doesn't line up with the rest.

It's worth mentioning that they're using the newer versions of the dubs where applicable. Laputa originally had a lot of inserted dialogue where there was none in the Japanese version, and now they've gone back to a more faithful script by removing those lines. I believe they used the updated dub in the 2010 DVD re-release in the US. Kiki's Delivery Service is another example, which I'd mark as an improvement given Phil Hartman just wouldn't shut up in the 90s dub.

jerry1594

All of them have English dubs bar Grave of the Fireflies (not released by Disney, but you're not missing much anyway) and the newer films, Poppy Hill and Arrietty. The latter got a special release with both the UK and US dub, but the packaging doesn't line up with the rest.

It's worth mentioning that they're using the newer versions of the dubs where applicable. Laputa originally had a lot of inserted dialogue where there was none in the Japanese version, and now they've gone back to a more faithful script by removing those lines. I believe they used the updated dub in the 2010 DVD re-release in the US. Kiki's Delivery Service is another example, which I'd mark as an improvement given Phil Hartman just wouldn't shut up in the 90s dub.

Sounds good. The Fireflies dub I heard was crap anyways, the little girl"s voice was awful. And it seems kind of wrong to watch it dubbed anyway. Is it safe to assume that Arrietty and Poppy Hill will get an updated rerelease like Ponyo did? (though hopefully with the audio track as opposed to the US version). And can you tell me more about the Lupin III Studio Canal thing?

watkinzez

Re-release of Poppy Hill with the dub? Maybe. It's a ways off if it does happen. Arrietty already has, like I said.
Cagliostro I'm happy about because the Japanese release had neither the dub nor English subs. Dunno if Studio Canal region lock their BDs. It'll probably have the Manga dub, which I haven't heard myself. Some comparison videos. I like David Hayter's Lupin, but Zenigata is way too cartoonish.

jerry1594

So the green Jp release doesn't have English? And the Studio Canal release is in the UK I'm assuming? The Manga dub is the Hayter dub by the way.

Desmond

So the green Jp release doesn't have English? And the Studio Canal release is in the UK I'm assuming? The Manga dub is the Hayter dub by the way.

Yep, Studio Canal is the UK and Ireland releases. I think they may be region locked. I'm looking at my blurays now and they only say region B.

and btw, a comment up there says Fireflies doesn't have a dub? It does. The only ones that don't have dubs are Ocean Waves and Only Yesterday afaik. They have been release subtitled here though.

51aKKNT-%2BuL.jpg

jerry1594

Yep, Studio Canal is the UK and Ireland releases. I think they may be region locked. I'm looking at my blurays now and they only say region B.

Well that's not a problem. Sorry watkinzez I can't read. Is there any chance they'll get stateside releases though? US packageing is almost always better than UK imo

Gabroni

Banned
I wish we could plan a trip to visit Studio Ghibli (I really want to go but I know wants to visit Japan/has a job--they like Ghibli though)

jerry1594

and btw, a comment up there says Fireflies doesn't have a dub? It does. The only ones that don't have dubs are Ocean Waves and Only Yesterday afaik. They have been release subtitled here though.

51aKKNT-%2BuL.jpg

So the Jp release has a dub?

Edit; anyone know how I can get a higher quality rendition of this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8T-bfhJjvM

jerry1594

I thought he meant it had no dub at all lol. I don't think the JPN bluray has an english dub option. :(

It's been dubbed several times I think. And like I said I don't think it's important because this movie is really about Japan so subtitles are fine by me.

And wow at the music man. Such beautiful music Joe Hisaishi does. When Princess Mononoke comes out I'm buy 10 copies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm not sure if this is new news or not...:

GKids will release "From Up on Poppy Hill" in North American theaters next March, after holding a run in Los Angeles County for Academy Award qualification in the "November time frame." It also plans to release it on Blu-ray Disc and DVD.

Disney previously held the distribution rights to Studio Ghibli's catalog in the West, but its contract concluded with the release of "The Secret World of Arrietty" earlier this year.

Jarnet87

Huge fan of the Ghibli films. Even the films that I didn't have a lot of interest in watching like Ponyo I found to be greatly entertainining. All time favorite is Spirited Away.

Top Bottom