• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S3 |OT| It was me, Barry.

Sanctuary

Tonight's episode was full of so many illogical outcomes that it seemed more like some speed forced attempt to create "more drama" rather than a natural progression of the story.

Wally was faster than Barry? When was this established? They recently said that Wally was "just fast enough", but that was only because of the way Barry was trying to alter the future by having Wally save Iris.

Savitar can feel pain, he's just human underneath! Well duh, it was already established that he wasn't a god, and that his main drive is vengeance against Barry for some supposed life altering events.

"I love you Iris, but for drama, I can't be with you. Gotta have more will they or won't they moments on the show, since that seems to be its backbone anymore!".

"Sorry Wally, I can't be with you. Even though Earth 2 is where I'm from, for some random reason I need to abandon it in favor of Earth 3. Garrick's world matters more than mine, my dad or you."

Ashhong

"Take me Peter!"

"Nah - I'm Spider-Man!"

hqdefault.jpg

Nah dude, nowhere near the same. MJ didn't know he was Spiderman there. As soon as he told her they got together

Sanctuary

Dear god Barry is a fucking savage.
Or am I misinterpreting this situation?

I think the intent was that he wanted them to "reboot" their relationship so that it wasn't revolving around his need to save Iris more than how he simply loved her. They just handled it terribly. It's really stupid anyway though because so what if his focus was more on saving her? It was still because of how much he cared about her anyway.

I really do believe it was just the writers losing steam near the middle of last season and at this point all they're doing is recycling the same main theme. All of this has happened before, and will happen again.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The Iris & Barry thing is a Peak CW Drama moment. Undoing their engagement in one episode is so obnoxious. This show just feels directionless. There isn't any growth for the characters.

Oh, Barry got over his mom..wait no he didn't
Oh, Barry finally moved out and got his own place...wait nevermind
Oh, Barry and Iris' relationship is stable..wait nevermind
Oh, Caitlin has to come to terms with her new abilities...oh, Killer Frost is literally another persona and she isn't responsible.
Oh, Jesse decided her feelings for Wally were worth staying on Earth Prime...wait nevermind

Like I'm looking back and thinking, what was the point of spending so many scenes on their relationship if you're writing Jesse out again an episode later. What's the point of arguing over the engagement if Barry is just gonna walk away?

jb1234

The Iris & Barry thing is a Peak CW Drama moment. Undoing their engagement in one episode is so obnoxious. This show just feels directionless. There isn't any growth for the characters.

Oh, Barry got over his mom..wait no he didn't
Oh, Barry finally moved out and got his own place...wait nevermind
Oh, Barry and Iris' relationship is stable..wait nevermind
Oh, Caitlin has to come to terms with her new abilities...oh, Killer Frost is literally another persona and she isn't responsible.
Oh, Jesse decided her feelings for Wally were worth staying on Earth Prime...wait nevermind

Like I'm looking back and thinking, what was the point of spending so many scenes on their relationship if you're writing Jesse out again an episode later. What's the point of arguing over the engagement if Barry is just gonna walk away?

It feels like it's a show being made without anyone actually taking the time to look ahead. Like they thought, "Hey, let's bring Jesse back and give Wally a love interest!" But then, a few episodes later, they realized they now had too many speedsters on the show and decided to write her out.

Sanctuary

It feels like it's a show being made without anyone actually taking the time to look ahead. Like they thought, "Hey, let's bring Jesse back and give Wally a love interest!" But then, a few episodes later, they realized they now had too many speedsters on the show and decided to write her out.

The show has had too many speedsters since the second season. It's as though that's all it can have for the most part since no one else is really powerful enough to go against Barry. Aside from psychic King Kong anyway. Maybe it's just a special effects/budget issue, or maybe they really are just that uncreative, but it would be nice to see more than "random moster of the week" followed by "another speedster" arch for the next ten episodes until finally "random monster of the week" again. With teen drama tears in between of course.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

I definitely got that vibe too. Like last episode, they were already having to write excuses why Jesse, Wally, or Barry wouldn't be somewhere ("Jesse is busy with the ring...") So now this episode chucked Jesse and benched Wally.

Shows are about drama and conflict. I get that, I accept it with all my CW shows. But this show spends an insane amount of time on "Hey, [Insert Name Here]. Can we talk?" scenes. And then ultimately none of them matter cause 1 episode later, they hit the reset button

ZeroX03

Banned
Captain Cold and Jay saved the episode. They came in with the energy of comic book characters! Shame Ronnie and Eddie had to be so dour.

I knew as soon as they tried Flashpoint the only way to write themselves out of the hole they put themselves in, was to give everyone character development.... Only person who got any of that was funnily enough...Wally.

Everyone else this entire season, even when you thought we'd get some kind of development, just stopped dead in their tracks

The biggest parts of it was that Barry was told by Jay, Oliver(who has pretty much at his most emotionally mature since S4) and now the fucking Speedforce(twice at this point) that Barry needs to overtly stop blaming himself and just take the consequences.

The writers obviously recognize Barry's issues but they're literally stretching them out for no good reason and they're letting the entire season burn for it.

Going from engaged to not in the span of like 2 episodes is a classic garbage cw move. God damn. Please don't tell me they're gonna draw out this will they/won't they thing for some more seasons. It's not that good to not be annoying. Just get them together solid or end Barry and Iris forever plz.

Zen Aku

"Sorry Wally, I can't be with you. Even though Earth 2 is where I'm from, for some random reason I need to abandon it in favor of Earth 3. Garrick's world matters more than mine, my dad or you."[/spoiler]

Out of all the illogical shits on tonight episode. This might have made the most sense (not that is saying much).

She sees that Jay was willing to sacrifice himself to save Wally and H.R. comment while insensitive made her realize that her being there isn't much help to the team right now. That her powers may be more of use in Earth-3 until Jay is rescued. It's not a great reason and created purely for drama purpose but at least it make sense.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
"Im going to change the future by embracing it"

...Holy shit Barry you're the stupidest mother fucker alive.

jb1234

I'm also getting increasingly annoyed at how Cisco is becoming a plot device.

"Hey, Cisco! We have a problem that only this piece of tech can solve. Can you invent one, really quickly?" "Sure!"

If he's that much of a genius inventor, why can't he come up with something to subdue Savitar? Oh, because the season would be over, that's why.

caliph95

HR: OMG guys the Savitar, the guy who said he was human and we didn't believe he was god, is actually human.

Also fuck the CWness of the drama and Fuck Barry, Fuck Savitar for being dull, Fuck making saving Iris a huge plot point..

Toki767

"Hey, Cisco! We have a problem that only this piece of tech can solve. Can you invent one, really quickly?" "Sure!"

If he's that much of a genius inventor, why can't he come up with something to subdue Savitar? Oh, because the season would be over, that's why.

I don't know why he couldn't invent a weapon to steal Savitar's speed the way Zoom used one on Barry.

Xenoboy

I liked the episode, the final scenes were whatever, but it was cool. I liked the Speed sequences this episode, feels like we haven't much of them this past season.
I tip my hat for Jay.

Sanctuary

Out of all the illogical shits on tonight episode. This might have made the most sense (not that is saying much).

She sees that Jay was willing to sacrifice himself to save Wally and H.R. comment while insensitive made her realize that her being there isn't much help to the team right now. That her powers may be more of use in Earth-3 until Jay is rescued. It's not a great reason and created purely for drama purpose but at least it make sense.

Except that it doesn't make sense, because she's from Earth 2. Does Earth 2 suddenly not need its version of "The Flash" anymore? I mean, she was going to abandon it to stay with Wally anyway, but the reasoning behind moving to Earth 3 of all places is nonsense. Garrick shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Also, I can't really tell going by this thread (which I've admittedly read very little of), but do many here actually like Wally? I can't tell if it's soley the material handed to him, but I find the actor to be the least talented and most annoying person on the show, by far. He's worse than Carl on The Walking Dead to me. And that's saying a lot. I almost laughed out loud with what happened to him last week, but didn't, because I knew the reprieve would be short.

Also fuck the CWness of the drama and Fuck Barry, Fuck Savitar for being dull, Fuck making saving Iris a huge plot point..

1lft9i.jpg

ZeroX03

Banned
Earth-2's biggest problems are the gorillas aren't they? Didn't they lose most of their metas in the penultimate episode of season two? Plus Harry is protecting that Earth, he's got a lot of money and resources.

Sanctuary

Earth-2's biggest problems are the gorillas aren't they? Didn't they lose most of their metas in the penultimate episode of season two? Plus Harry is protecting that Earth, he's got a lot of money and resources.

If that were true, why did Jessie mention all of the "bad guys" or whatever she said that she took out on Earth 2 when the "The real Flash" comment dropped? Does she just spend her time saving kittens from trees?

jb1234

Also, I can't really tell going by this thread (which I've admittedly read very little of), but do many here actually like Wally? I can't tell if it's soley the material handed to him, but I find the actor to be the least talented and most annoying person on the show, by far. He's worse than Carl on The Walking Dead to me. And that's saying a lot. I almost laughed out loud with what happened to him last week, but didn't, because I knew the reprieve would be short.

He's okay. I don't think they've quite figured out what to do with him yet, aside from being a speedster. There were a couple of early eps this season before the dourness really set in where he got some funny one-liners and the actor did well with those.

Bluth54

HR hasn't suggested to Cisco that he build something to stop Savitar or steal his speed yet. We have to wait for the season finale for HR to make that suggestion to Cisco.

Slayven

What would be interesting is if Savitar was like Impulse 1 Million. Impulse 1 Million was a piece of the speedforce that became self aware after absorbing the random and stray thoughts of speedsters.

Now what if Savitar was Barry's self doubt, and other baggage given form?

jb1234

HR hasn't suggested to Cisco that he build something to stop Savitar or steal his speed yet. We have to wait for the season finale for HR to make that suggestion to Cisco.

I can see the scene in my head.

*Star Labs, in ruins*

Cisco: So... Our friends are all dead. Savitar made us watch as he gutted them like fishes. It's just you and me, HR.

HR: Yup. Good times! Say... it's interesting that this thought didn't enter my head like a year or so ago but do you think you could invent a device that can steal Savvy's speed?

Cisco: That is a great idea! And I should have thought of that! It's very strange that I didn't! But unfortunately, Star Labs is in ruins and all my equipment has been destroyed.

HR: Oh. Well. Okay. I wish that we'd both been smarter. Before Joe died, he told me that you were super smart like three years ago. What changed?

Cisco: I met Barry.

HR: Ah.

Bluth54

Different universe...does it still count as cheating?

Can Barry run fast enough to fuck himself from the back.

Sadly I don't think it would be physically possible for Barry to run fast enough to fuck himself in the back.
Now Cisco, I imagine if he was able to get multiple portals going at once it might be possible.

Man when Jesse said she gotta go to Earth-3 I was just... so confused. Complete "wait what why" moment. Sure Jay left E-3 without a Flash... but Jesse left E-2 without a Flash... and it has you know, her dad in it.

Rymuth

Once again, Barry learned nothing. Nothing.

I'm sorry, Wally-fans. Take me into your fold. Kill off Barry and reboot it around Wally. I'm so tired of this idiocy.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That's all there is for Wally's imprisonment? Ugh.

Yeah, that was a bit lame ..

was expecting Wally to be a lot more fucked up. Physically wounded, scruffy beard and messed up animalistic behavior at least at first when Barry finds him. Maybe make it seem like he's been there for a long while owing to a difference in the sense of time or something like that.

CW gonna CW I guess :-/

sirap

Man when Jesse said she gotta go to Earth-3 I was just... so confused. Complete "wait what why" moment. Sure Jay left E-3 without a Flash... but Jesse left E-2 without a Flash... and it has you know, her dad in it.

Nah it makes perfect sense. Savitar got Jesse so shook she ran to a universe of has-beens. If Jay's wrinkled ass can maintain that place, Jesse got nothing to worry about.

It's "we're only paying her to be a guest character and need to write her out" logic at it's finest.

tim1138

What would be interesting is if Savitar was like Impulse 1 Million. Impulse 1 Million was a piece of the speedforce that became self aware after absorbing the random and stray thoughts of speedsters.

Now what if Savitar was Barry's self doubt, and other baggage given form?

That's way too interesting of a story to actually happen.

GulAtiCa

Really should have been Wally who went to Earth-3. Hell, after being a dumb ass for the 1000th time, he should of stayed in "hell" a little longer....

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
From TVline:

When will we find out who Savitar is on The Flash? —Arlena
“Slowly, different characters are going to learn who Savitar is,” Danielle Panabaker shared during my visit to the set last week. “But I don’t know if the audience is going to be told anytime soon.” Grant Gustin meanwhile told me, “It’s not the same as past reveals,” explaining, “With Zoom and Reverse-Flash, the audience was starting to realize things before we all started to piece it together. But I don’t know how you would know this year. And when you do find out, it’s like, ‘Oh. My. God!’ There are really no secrets or hints leading up to to it.”

caliph95

I hate to be a negative nancy but unlike Arrow i don't really care and just want to get on with it and just reveal it. In serious though i hope they don't drag it like they did with Jay and Zoom

Nabs

Soaps have quicker reveals, b.

I definitely got that vibe too. Like last episode, they were already having to write excuses why Jesse, Wally, or Barry wouldn't be somewhere ("Jesse is busy with the ring...") So now this episode chucked Jesse and benched Wally.

Shows are about drama and conflict. I get that, I accept it with all my CW shows. But this show spends an insane amount of time on "Hey, [Insert Name Here]. Can we talk?" scenes. And then ultimately none of them matter cause 1 episode later, they hit the reset button

The writing is really bothering me this season.

caliph95

For better or worse Agents of Shields not dragging their reveals and mystery is kind of refreshing because it feels or at least gives the illusion of the plot moving. With Flash it feels they are strecthing it as much as they can. The whole wally thing and the speedforce feels like a waste of time.

Credo

I'm going to keep watching this show, but "dramatic" nonsense like tonight really makes me question why I do. I know it's a CW staple so I should expect it, but "person looks down at floor and walks offscreen" dramatic moments are really trying my patience. And the mess between Barry and Iris at the end of tonight's episode is just another thing that makes me scratch my head. Flash is the last CW show I still watch after giving up on Arrow at the midseason break when Felicity got paralyzed, and I really hope they don't keep killing my interest with stupidity.

Nabs

I'm going to keep watching this show, but "dramatic" nonsense like tonight really makes me question why I do. I know it's a CW staple so I should expect it, but "person looks down at floor and walks offscreen" dramatic moments are really trying my patience. And the mess between Barry and Iris at the end of tonight's episode is just another thing that makes me scratch my head. Flash is the last CW show I still watch after giving up on Arrow at the midseason break when Felicity got paralyzed, and I really hope they don't keep killing my interest with stupidity.

Yo. Listen to me (and everyone in this thread): Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow is where it's at this season.

Top Bottom