• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S3 |OT| It was me, Barry.

No secrets to who Savitar is? Then what is the point in hiding his identity? Just get it over with within the first few episodes when he shows up. No point in trying to drag his reveal so far.

Savitar parrying Jesse was still cool to watch though. I also noticed that Black Flash is really ragdoll-y. Both Barry and Thawne's punch sent him flying, lol. Black Flash is fast, sure, but he is so ragdoll-y. Dude just gets thrown around like a ragdoll. It's two instances but still.... Barry's punches aren't even that strong. Thawne's punches, I get because Thawne is just that powerful. But our Barry? Nah.

Yo. Listen to me (and everyone in this thread): Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow is where it's at this season.

Agree regarding Arrow. I am still stunned at the turnaround that show made after the awful last season. Hopefully Flash rebounds next year in similar fashion.

Going to catch up on LoT later on.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
From TVline:

When will we find out who Savitar is on The Flash? —Arlena
“Slowly, different characters are going to learn who Savitar is,” Danielle Panabaker shared during my visit to the set last week. “But I don’t know if the audience is going to be told anytime soon.” Grant Gustin meanwhile told me, “It’s not the same as past reveals,” explaining, “With Zoom and Reverse-Flash, the audience was starting to realize things before we all started to piece it together. But I don’t know how you would know this year. And when you do find out, it’s like, ‘Oh. My. God!’ There are really no secrets or hints leading up to to it.”

Welp, I guess it's Barry. Ugh.

Ithil

Ok, I'm halfway through the episode, but I just realized thanks to that marathon, that this show has the exact same format as Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

Ashhong

Out of all the illogical shits on tonight episode. This might have made the most sense (not that is saying much).

She sees that Jay was willing to sacrifice himself to save Wally and H.R. comment while insensitive made her realize that her being there isn't much help to the team right now. That her powers may be more of use in Earth-3 until Jay is rescued. It's not a great reason and created purely for drama purpose but at least it make sense.

HR just meant she shouldn't go alone. 3 Speedsters to defeat Savitar is better than 2. Dumb of her to leave IMO

Nah, this one way more so. Right down to the "command centre" and technobabble solutions.

Arrow and Supergirl have the exact same thing..

It has to be Future Barry or a different timeline Barry. But watch Savitar be somebody they think we don't know and it turns out we do know who he was.

Magwik

Banned
Why couldn't Savitar just be the embodiment of the speedforce as a repercussion of Barry's actions. Shit literally writes itself.

VeeP

Why can't Barry just take Wally's & Jesse's speed or something to get faster temporarily, and hell, Jay also before he got trapped in the speed force and then defeat Savitar? Wasn't that the whole plot point of last season? Zoom wanted speedsters speed to be fast as hell.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
At this point I'd quite like Savitar to be future Barry, because then Barry can learn how terrible he really is.

Even if it's somewhat expected now, it's the only interesting choice in terms of affecting the show in a positive way.

Savitar being some rando from the future, or Wally, or Jay again, does nothing towards improving any character.

... So I guess that means we can fully expect it to be Jay again.

Turning Zoom into Black Flash is the worst

Reminding me how much they butchered Zoom while also making Black Flash some dude who sucked ass

ZeroX03

Banned
Ah you're right, can't have well thought out narratives that push character growth.

See thread title

Turning Zoom into Black Flash is the worst

Reminding me how much they butchered Zoom while also making Black Flash some dude who sucked ass

I don't even consider Zoom butchered, he's not the same as his comic counterpart other than the name. They could totally do that character right later on.

Yup. Zoom wasn't even..... Zoom. Like he has the name but everything else was not proper Zoom at all. Zoom is very powerful and I don't think they will venture down that path until really late. I am glad that they did jump into the Black Flash stuff quick though.

If the "I am the Future, Flash." does turn out to be a red herring...... The show has taken a huge nosedive in quality for me. It cannot be the mentor again. Or an ally turned evil. Or somehow it's Jay. I don't mind if Savitar is a nobody because then it's taking a page out of the source material. But please don't make him be HR, Wally, Julian, or Jay. Just please, please don't. If they do then I don't know how they can redeem themselves for season 4 if it's another Speedster.

morningbus

The problem is that they've basically covered Comic Zoom's story and motivations with S1 Reverse Flash and S2 Zoom.

Do you really want another season of a close ally actually being an evil speedster who wants Barry to become stronger?

ZeroX03

Banned
The problem is that they've basically covered Comic Zoom's story and motivations with S1 Reverse Flash and S2 Zoom.

Do you really want another season of a close ally actually being an evil speedster who wants Barry to become stronger?

He wants to make him a better hero. It's closer to Eobard than the other two who eventually want to kill Barry.

Comic Zoom should be the final season villain, he should travel back in time to recruit Eobard Wells to fight alongside him too. He's quite purposely designed himself around the Reverse Flash to make it more personal. He's sort of like Prometheus in that respect. It'll seem fresh if they can go a few seasons without a speedster villain (and Zoom technically isn't a speedster either).

You know, some of the episodes were pretty good this season like the ones where Barry teaches Wally and all that were really enjoyable, but some of these other ones get ruined by the cw drama stuff. How would you guys feel if the next season had a villain like Damien Dhark? Like we know the identity but the motivations aren't as clear.

morningbus

He wants to make him a better hero. It's closer to Eobard than the other two who eventually want to kill Barry.

Comic Zoom should be the final season villain, he should travel back in time to recruit Eobard Wells to fight alongside him too. He's quite purposely designed himself around the Reverse Flash to make it more personal. He's sort of like Prometheus in that respect. It'll seem fresh if they can go a few seasons without a speedster villain (and Zoom technically isn't a speedster either).

Make it that New Zoom has gotten plastic surgery to look like Wells and he recruits pre-Wells Reverse Flash and we've got a deal.

Why is the CW HD feed so bad? I wonder what the bitrate is.

I gave you a bit of the answer last time:

The max from FiOS (which doesn't compress the signal from your local broadcaster) is 1080i. This would be the same as if you put up an antenna.

1080p files, I believe, are available from Amazon and iTunes.

That's the max resolution you can get at the moment. I'm unsure the resolution these shows are filmed at.

Yeah, definitely. Some CW affiliates broadcast as low as 480i (depending on whether they're in a market where they are broadcast as one of a few subchannels), with 720p and 1080i being more common (depending on whether they are the secondary subchannel or the main channel on a feed respectively).

This of course is leaving out the more important bits: what bit-rate the video is broadcast at.

My CW, for example, is the main feed on a stream with 2 channels (the main 1080i CW feed and a 480i feed for a game show network). Those two channels have about 20mbits/s to share on their feed. The CW gets the higher allotment, roughly 15mbits (~2MB/s) or so, and the gameshow feed is set to be variable, but for the sake of discussion, let's say it takes no more than 5mbits (~500KB/s). This is important as this is what is re-transmitted by my local cable companies, Comcast and Verizon Fios. Verizon re-transmits an exact copy of the over the air signal I pick up from the antenna because their network is newer and has more bandwidth available to it. While I don't know what Comcast does in my area, they often have to compress their feeds to fit the number of channels they have to deliver, which would theoretically be worse than my OTA signal.

Okay, home stretch: the bitrates for the shows downloaded from iTunes and Amazon are most likely even higher than the bitrates I've mentioned so far. So, for example, I believe a 1080p episode of the Flash is approximately 44mbits (~5mb) a second, or effectively double the bitrate of a broadcast signal. This does not take into account the codecs used on iTunes, as broadcast TV is usually transmitted in MPEG2.

What is your CW affiliate's callsign? I can look it up and see what the potential bitrate for you is.

ZeroX03

Banned
Make it that New Zoom has gotten plastic surgery to look like Wells and he recruits pre-Wells Reverse Flash and we've got a deal.

Letscher and Cavanagh team up? Yes please.

Legends is already showing us that the Reverse Flash still has a lot of steam left in him as a villain too.

I don't think its possible that the "I am the future Flash" could be a red herring. They've been very not subtle about it and in-your-face had Savitar say the line at least twice now the exact same way. Too much of a coincidence and I don't give the show enough credit to actually do something not obvious.

ZeroX03

Banned
I don't think its possible that the "I am the future Flash" could be a red herring. They've been very not subtle about it and in-your-face had Savitar say the line at least twice now the exact same way. Too much of a coincidence and I don't give the show enough credit to actually do something not obvious.

He's said it three times and the Speed Force said it too. It's the slogan for the season.

Nabs

Did they explain why there needs to be a speedster trapped in the speed force? I don't understand why Jay stayed behind . . .

The Speedforce needs a hamster on the wheel at all times. Whenever you see the bolt of electricity in Barry's eyes, a shock is sent to the hamster flash to get him to run a bit faster.

I gave you a bit of the answer last time:

What is your CW affiliate's callsign? I can look it up and see what the potential bitrate for you is.

WPIX. I can't believe that The Flash gets a bit rate of 15Mbps when the highest bitrate I gotten from a 1080p stream from Netflix was around 6Mbps.

Sanctuary

For better or worse Agents of Shields not dragging their reveals and mystery is kind of refreshing because it feels or at least gives the illusion of the plot moving. With Flash it feels they are strecthing it as much as they can. The whole wally thing and the speedforce feels like a waste of time.

Aside from a few corny scenes every now and then, I feel like that show really turned things around after the first season, and is the best show on TV right now based off comic book heroes and such. Arrow is still okay, but it's been more of a soap opera for a while now.

Yo. Listen to me (and everyone in this thread): Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow is where it's at this season.

I actually like most of the character in Legends, individually. I struggled to make it through the first season of that show though, and pretty much gave up. Managed to watch the first four episodes of the second season, and it seemed "better", but it was still a bottom of the barrel show to me.

Credo

I'd really really like to get back to Arrow, but I'd have to start from the midseason break when Felicity got paralyzed, so that would mean I'd have to watch something like 30 episodes to get caught up. I think I might be too far gone at this point.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'd really really like to get back to Arrow, but I'd have to start from the midseason break when Felicity got paralyzed, so that would mean I'd have to watch something like 30 episodes to get caught up. I think I might be too far gone at this point.

Skip the rest of season four if it's that big of an issue.

morningbus

WPIX. I can't believe that The Flash gets a bit rate of 15Mbps when the highest bitrate I gotten from a 1080p stream from Netflix was around 6Mbps.

The codec they use is important, too. Broadcast television generally uses raw mpeg2, which results in easy to decode, massive files. For example, my Flash recordings are generally about 6.5 GB in size, where as a higher bitrate file from iTunes would be only about 2GB. However, that iTunes file would take a lot more horsepower to decode.

This will be addressed eventually with adoption of new broadcast standards, but until then this is where we are.

As for your own case, WPIX has three channels broadcasting on their signal. Without having some equipment to check personally I'm just making a few assumptions here, but that probably means that your CW affiliate is broadcasting a variable bitrate that hovers around 10 to 13mbps (and the two sub channels, Antenna TV and ThisTV get 2 to 5mbps each).

Fios would just be rebroadcasting that signal so in your case, yes, you aren't getting the maximum bitrate possible. The difference isn't hugely significant and you probably wouldn't notice the difference even if the CW was getting all of that 20mbps.

GulAtiCa

Yeah, skip rest of season 4. Go directly season 5. Get highlights if you need to. Arrow and Legends are leagues better than Flash currently.

But like

There was no speedster trapped there until Savitar, in the far future

So there was no need for a speedster prisoner before then. Why is there suddenly a need now? They clearly needed to get Jay stuck there for other plot reasons but the reason made no sense

This show just makes up arbitrary rules to create drama. This last episode was so blatant in that regard

morningbus

But like

So there was no need for a speedster prisoner before then. Why is there suddenly a need now? They clearly needed to get Jay stuck there for other plot reasons but the reason made no sense

This show just makes up arbitrary rules to create drama. This last episode was so blatant in that regard

It's a speed trap that Future Barry created for Savitar. We don't know its rules.

I'm not saying they'll explain it, either. But there isn't a logical inconsistency there.

But like

Lol, you answered your own question. I try my best not to question these things anymore and just go with Speed Force ain't gotta explain shit.

Or Barry has really fucked up and now the Speed Force is also fucked up? I don't know, lol.

Joni

That look on Cisco slowly realizing that HR is completely right with his idiot suggestion.
Oh, 'That was oddly satisfying' is a great moment.
Stupid how Jay has to stay behind. Like have them outwit the trap and escape by working together. Barry made it, it can't be that smart.

If Barry isnt Savitar from the future, do you guys think we eill see future flash at some point to scold Barry? I mean if Eobard is still around the original flash still could be right?

Sanctuary

But Spider-Man 2 was better than 1.

Flash season 1 is still king.

While I know that Spider-Man 2 is technically the superior film, it's not a drastic improvement over the first. Both are still two of the best comic book films (No, the Nolan trilogy doesn't count, and Watchmen was simply "pretty good"), and I'm a sucker for an origin story anyway. The only thing I didn't really like about Spider-Man was the Green Goblin's mask, but I'm not sure what else they could have really done back then.

Anyway, the first season of The Flash is much closer to Spider-Man than the sequels.

Skii

I think everyone is too hard on Barry.

The guy literally loses everything he loves. He's a broken shell of a person. He's expected to save the world everyday and is constantly on the verge of losing what little he has left.

Top Bottom