• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S3 |OT| It was me, Barry.

- J - D -

Bets on how deep into the episode Barry finds out Savitar's identity?

I'm going to go with the last five minutes.

It'll happen during the final minute, as Savitar's unmasked alter ego and Barry face each other in the middle of a massive snowstorm created by Killer Frost. The remaining 20 seconds is a slow camera dolly out from the scene, through the blizzard, and then further out still to show a pair of small children's hands playing with a snowglobe.

Cut to black. "The Flash". Tune back in to The Flash season 4 to find out who the child is.

caliph95

I've really gotta say, this season sucks. It's a big shame because Flash in S1 was so good, and I still felt S2 was strong despite a clear step down from S1.

But S3...it's just awful. To sum up my problems:

The fun feels entirely sucked out of it. Everyone is moping around all the time now, this isn't how the show used to be! First it was moping about changing Cisco's brother's fate, now it's moping about Savitar killing Iris. It brings all the characters down and I end up just not caring.

They completely bungled the Flashpoint/reality changing plot point. I don't care about being faithful to some sort of comic event, this wasn't faithful to the show it was a part of. It was essentially one episode, there were barely any repercussions, and by the mid-season finale it basically didn't matter that Flashpoint happened (or rather, barely matters).

The Savitar plot-line sucks. At this point I don't care who it is. Whatever the answer is, it will be disappointing and something predictable. Wells being Reverse Flash was lightning in a bottle and they can't try to repeat that twist every year...but they have been. There's some serious diminishing returns at this point. It's boring to see Barry fight a speedster every year and frankly the stakes don't seem higher than the past. Clearly Savitar is going to turn out to be someone we know, but it'll be so late in the season that it's something we can't connect to with the same impact as S1 or even S2.

Caitlyn being Killer Frost is character assassination. Literally the only reason it's happening is because that is what she is in the comics. It would have been fine as a one off episode thing, but now it's just a permanent and stupid plot point. She has ice powers that make her go evil...this is so dumb. Either cure her somehow or don't have her powers also alter her brain (something we haven't seen with -any- other metahuman). She's been a main character since the pilot, it's an awful thing to do to the character with no logical reason.

I do like one thing, Julian is a nice addition to the cast. If only everyone would let loose and have some fun again.

At this point even if the last few episodes are great, it doesn't justify this entire plodding season. And I kinda doubt they will be at this point.

Arrow and Legends have been huge improvements this year so it really sucks to see Flash having such a weak year comparatively when in the past it was the strongest of the pack.
Pretty much

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
They should just copy Arrow and just reveal it with no fucks given.
The misdirect + this. So fucking good.

It'll happen during the final minute, as Savitar's unmasked alter ego and Barry face each other in the middle of a massive snowstorm created by Killer Frost. The remaining 20 seconds is a slow camera dolly out from the scene, through the blizzard, and then further out still to show a pair of small children's hands playing with a snowglobe.

Cut to black. "The Flash". Tune back in to The Flash season 4 to find out who the child is.

Flash retcons in St. Elsewhere?

Sign me up.

- J - D -

At this point even if the last few episodes are great, it doesn't justify this entire plodding season. And I kinda doubt they will be at this point.

I agree with your whole post, but I've reached the inflection point where I'm happy enough for small moments of legitimate joy. It's like being in a relationship a long time with someone and you realize that the passion is gone and the disappointments mount higher and higher, but you're comfortable enough to just cling to the smalls moments of laughter or happiness.

That's my relationship with the Flash at this point.

Flash retcons in St. Elsewhere?

Sign me up.

If only. It might be the only thing that could really surprise me at this point.

sirap

I agree with your whole post, but I've reached the inflection point where I'm happy enough for small moments of legitimate joy. It's like being in a relationship a long time with someone and you realize that the passion is gone and the disappointments mount higher and higher, but you're comfortable enough to just cling to the smalls moments of laughter or happiness.

That's my relationship with the Flash at this point.

Same here, but I also want them to get this reveal over with so we can move on to the next season. Not that I'm confident they'll deliver on the next one, but the writers at CW aren't tone deaf when it comes to criticism. Season 5 of Arrow is proof of that :p

Of course the writers strike could mess things up if it ever goes through...

- J - D -

Same here, but I also want them to get this reveal over with so we can move on to the next season. Not that I'm confident they'll deliver on the next one, but the writers at CW aren't tone deaf when it comes to criticism. Season 5 of Arrow is proof of that :p

Of course the writers strike could mess things up if it ever goes through...

Wasn't the deadline tonight for the strike talks? CW's slate would definitely be affected. Flash is probably going to start S4 pre-production soon...

I just got caught up with this season.

..... who the fuck thought it was a good idea to turn a fun and zany show that was made for the express purpose of being fun..... into this?

caliph95

I would respect the guts to alienate that much of your audience. I'd find it funny.

image.php

Of course you would

strafer

Savitar is the phantom of the audience..it's not meant to be a real person...it's what the audience is reacting to in real life.

Mission

OMG I just realised that CTV moved The Flash to one of its sub channels a while back. I've missed everything since Christmas I think. I'll have to try and catch up online. (clearly not paging back)

sirap

Gonna throw out my pick for Savitar right now:

rwmOGy5H.jpeg

Goodnight gents. Hoping I won't be disappointed when I wake up tomorrow!

Over at reddit they had a shitpost about the reveal of Savitar and it was like the 5 pieces of exodia. That's how they're going to reveal him to us. Last week we saw the right foot. Tonight we'll see the left foot. Next week is the right hand, then the left hand, and finally we'll get the body and head reveal for the last episode.

We just have to believe in the heart of the cards Speed Force, GAF.

Sober

Probably gonna be something stupid like Julian is Savitar but not really because Julian is Savitar's amnesiac time remnant or some dumb bullshit like that.

At this point how many people does Caitlyn know? That narrows down the list some I guess.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I think the only good thing about some of the wheel-spinning of this season is that it ultimately doesn't have to affect much going forward. The relationships are in tact, no one has genuinely crossed a moral point of no return (Caitlin can be redeemed), and no world altering events have happened so far.

They can seriously start season 4 with little repercussions from this season. It makes for a poor season 3, but it makes me hopeful for next season.

Begaria

While I'm in the camp that this season isn't quite as good as S1/S2, I'm still enjoying it, albeit eye rolling at some of the episodes. There's been some gems this season as well, the musical episode being the best among them.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Over at reddit they had a shitpost about the reveal of Savitar and it was like the 5 pieces of exodia. That's how they're going to reveal him to us. Last week we saw the right foot. Tonight we'll see the left foot. Next week is the right hand, then the left hand, and finally we'll get the body and head reveal for the last episode.

We just have to believe in the heart of the cards Speed Force, GAF.

I think Gaf really does assume they're the target audience of these shows, and ignores most people would genuinely be surprised by a 'Future Barry' revelation.

caliph95

I think Gaf really does assume they're the target audience of these shows, and ignores most people would genuinely be surprised by a 'Future Barry' revelation.

While it doesn't show how the general audience feels Barry and Ronnie are the popular theory with Barry being the main suspect for weeks or months on reddit

Joni

If it could be done for Arrow... it can be done for the Flash. Season 3 of the Flash is still better than season 4 of Arrow though.
That one had some amusing villains like Anarky who was a villain for Thea specifically. Well, maybe if they hadn't wasted Rival.

It is such a shame because Flash's first season is arguably the greatest comic book tv show of all time. Season 2 dipped hard and 3 is just as bad if not a little worse.

Season 4 needs to make things happy again, fuck off with the "WHO IS THIS GUY?" mystery and get rid of a speedster as the main antagonist.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Arrow & LoT have been so good this year but I'm not sure I can handle 5 DC shows next season... I might have to wait until they're all on Netflix and binge them going forward.

caliph95

It is such a shame because Flash's first season is arguably the greatest comic book tv show of all time. Season 2 dipped hard and 3 is just as bad if not a little worse.

Season 4 needs to make things happy again, fuck off with the "WHO IS THIS GUY?" mystery and get rid of a speedster as the main antagonist.
I was honestly hoping Savitar would just some dude but the whole mystery bullshit ruined him because it means we learn very little about him until they need us to know. So because of how shit the mystery is he just spends time being a generic villain and boring. It's probably similar to zoom where they had to rush some of his character development because they took so long to reveal him and Savitar is even worse.

I was honestly hoping Savitar would just some dude but the whole mystery bullshit ruined him because it means we learn very little about him until they need us to know. So because of how shit the mystery is he just spends time being a generic villain and boring. It's probably similar to zoom where they had to rush some of his character development because they took so long to reveal him and Savitar is even worse.

I still can't wrap my head around making him a big transformer. It's so dumb. It looks ridiculous for a physically imposing super villain, let alone a "god of speed".

Skii

I would've guessed Savitar was future Barry but the fact that he stops being an emo bitch at the end casts doubt on that theory.

They have to absolutely nail the reveal to somewhat redeem this shambles of a season.

caliph95

I still can't wrap my head around making him a big transformer. It's so dumb. It looks ridiculous for a physically imposing super villain, let alone a "god of speed".
I understand the thought process, they want him to be more imposing than the other speedsters and look less human to go with his god of speed thing he has going. So they try to make him more of a monster. The problem is in the execution because Zoom for all his problems was more intimidating in his suit than saviatr ever was. Plus it didn't as much of the budget

Top Bottom