• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S3 |OT| It was me, Barry.

Garret

Arrow spent their softball twist on a two episode Laurel plot, and legit had people shocked with the big, full season mystery.

Flash and Supergirl telegraphed their big, season long mystery reveals way too early and surprised no one.

I still have to catch up with Supergirl. What was the mystery this time around?

Magwik

Banned
So who is Savitar? Please tell me it's Future Flash
Savitar must always be trapped in the Speedforce to maintain the time loop. Savitar must also have a beginning. However, Future Barry never figured it out, so it's possible it is him. But then again, there are still two versions of Savitar. The one that was trapped in the Speedforce (presumably our Savitar) and the one trapped by Future Flash and or created after Iris' death.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
All this bullshit just for everyone to guess it right anyway.

Judging from Twitters reaction, GAF might have figured it but shitloads of people are shook right now.

Is it me or GAF is way too cynical about this season? Internet is fucking hyped right now.

Effect

Judging from Twitters reaction, GAF might have figured it but shitloads of people are shook right now.

I noticed this as well. Some people have had an idea but it looks like a LOT of people are surprised.

I do agree they dragged this out a bit to long but this season has still been good. Bad seasons labels are for Arrow season 3 and 4 levels of bad. This season of Flash has been no where near that level of bullshit.

ZeroX03

Banned
tumblr_oekpg4o04M1rp74xfo9_r1_250.gif

Will there be an episode dedicated to his origins?

There's three episodes left, so don't expect much.

LionPride

Banned

Is it me or GAF is way too cynical about this season? Internet is fucking hyped right now.

The show has been racing downhill since the end of season 1, season 2 gets the excuse it had to spend half the season setting up LoT shit, but this season? They spent 20 episodes on...nothing. Nothing happened this season. At all.

We called it way back 'cause it fit into our admittedly cynical (but not wrong) "Barry is the real villain" narrative. Sooooo much of this season's conflict is down to him fucking up over and over and over. So, like "Barry is LITERALLY the Big Bad" was an easy leap.

You know, in a vacuum, that's not a bad metanarrative. Shame it was executed so poorly.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The show has been racing downhill since the end of season 1, season 2 gets the excuse it had to spend half the season setting up LoT shit, but this season? They spent 20 episodes on...nothing. Nothing happened this season. At all.

I'll admit that S2 was kind of shit but IMO it's gotten better this season. I don't get the doom and gloom. This feels like discussing Skyrim on GAF.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
This season isn't even bad. It's actually good imo because it has a great cast of characters. Arrow is another level because imo they went back to their roots.

it's not bad like Arrow S3 or 4, but it's felt meandering and lost a bit of it's charm. pacing issues, mostly.

Because we're in a place where you have people who know tropes very well talking about a tropey TV show.... We're nerds pretty much

It's not even knowing the tropes (though obviously that makes it easier). It's having a sufficiently low level of faith in the show's procedure to figure out what the most ludicrous twist would be and then pushing that as the obvious choice.

LionPride

Banned
I cared about most of the characters last season

I don't even care about anyone but Joe at this point. I want Iris to do things again, but it keeps looking like she'll be worse off than Caitlin "is a scientist but asks what a singularity is" Snow

Johndoey

Banned
This is boring, and boring is far worse than being bad. At it's worst I could at least usually laugh at Arrow. This is just nothing.

Boke1879

It's not even knowing the tropes (though obviously that makes it easier). It's having a sufficiently low level of faith in the show's procedure to figure out what the most ludicrous twist would be and then pushing that as the obvious choice.

Barry being Savitar was always the most logical choice if most people can guess it.

That said. It really doesn't matter. On twitter right now most people are shook or happy with the episode.

Arrow's worst was at least watchable, I'll take Felicity in a fucking wheelchair and Laurel giving them her blessing over this season

I would take a lobotomy over watching Felicity stand from a wheelchair and walk out of Oliver's life or give him shit for finding out he had a son and not making it about her.

Flash S3 is LEAGUES ahead of Arrow's worst.

I'll admit that S2 was kind of shit but IMO it's gotten better this season. I don't get the doom and gloom. This feels like discussing Skyrim on GAF.

It's mainly because Barry has been an idiot (both of them) for long enough and it's starting to irritate a lot of us. This honestly started when Barry gave up Velocity 9 to Zoom and has been down hill since the biggest fuck up being Flashpoint and his reverse character development

LotusHD

Banned
This season isn't even bad. It's actually good imo because it has a great cast of characters. Arrow is another level because imo they went back to their roots.

Except like half the cast in Flash depressed all the time lol

It's certainly not like say Legends, where the great cast allows me to overlook any failings within certain episodes.

As others have said, this season is just boring.

Barry and Kara are the same...

I am Supergirl I am very powerful and super strong if I am dealing with Humans...I am actually weakling if i deal with anyone with some kind of strength...

I am Barry Allen fastest man alive also the dumbest, how many times he's going take a hit for someone instead of moving them out of the way and continuing the fight...

The writers for these shows suck and completely bring the characters down to moronic levels..

Arrow's worst was at least watchable, I'll take Felicity in a fucking wheelchair and Laurel giving them her blessing over this season

Eh
I think I stopped watching S3 live and simply waited for it to become available online so that I could fast forward through anything with Felicity/drama. Im almost certain that carried over to S4.

The cast of Flash haven't been unbearable, annoying at times, but never have I considered dropping the show or waiting for an online version to fast forward through.

Maddocks

I personally am enjoying the season a lot and think its just on par if not better then season 2. Season 1 will never be touched for me because it was just flawless in terms of characters and emotion and heart.

As a reader of the comics and everything having it be future flash is great, but if I never read the comics and didn't visit message boards to discuss the flash, I'm sure I would be shook to the core that they went this route.

LionPride

Banned
This is boring, and boring is far worse than being bad. At it's worst I could at least usually laugh at Arrow. This is just nothing.

Yep

I literally did not watch for a month and shit ain't change

I could have watched the first few episodes, skip all the way till now, and nothing would have really happened. That's not good. I'm bored watching the show and that's not good as a viewer

Anony

why couldn't cgi an older barry
that's my biggest complain, they all look the same age whenever they go to the future or past

People are crazy, this is no where near Arrow season 3 bad, boring season but some episodes have been good and bad. Unless they have a decent explanation as of why this would happen. Im surprised that a lot of my comic book friends loved the reveal.

It's mainly because Barry has been an idiot (both of them) for long enough and it's starting to irritate a lot of us. This honestly started when Barry gave up Velocity 9 to Zoom and has been down hill since the biggest fuck up being Flashpoint and his reverse character development

This is pretty much me along with my annoyances at how nerfed they made Barry because they can't come up with anything to counteract his immense speed without nerfing him.

This season has just been

The enjoyment I have been getting out of this season was during moments that Barry gets his ass beat and when he does cool shit.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
So I finally got my girlfriend to watch the show. Her first episode of the Flash and halfway through the episode she says. "So the villain is Barry, right?"

Yeah but they spread it on thick in these last few episodes. Back when I was younger I sneaked into a Sixth Sense screening and immediately knew that Bruce Willis was a ghost. Because the movie was making it obvious near the reveal. People in the theater were losing their fucking minds.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
We've been preparing you for this for months, guys. It'd be fun to go back and find the first person to post that Barry is Savitar in here.

Anyway, I don't really see why the reveal that Savitar is an evil, corrupted Barry is making so many people angry. It's the only reveal that not only makes thematic sense but also offers the chance for some sort of character growth.

A corrupted Ronnie or Eddie not only does a disservice to those two characters, but it is also just pure fanservice wankery. There's no character growth to be had from it being Eddie.

"Oh, shit, looks like that time paradox hole really fucked Eddie up. Too bad we gotta put him down."

That's all you get from that route. And it may appeal to the lizard part of your brain as a tasty bit of fluff, but it's insubstantial and meaningless.

Now, if you have problems with the execution of everything this season, fair game. In that way especially, this season is like Arrow S3. I've maintained since that season wrapped that it actually sounds really great on paper and has some awesome story beats but is ultimately betrayed by its execution (and apparently some serious production issues). Flash S3 is probably going to fall somewhere in line with that, where there are a bunch of interesting plot points that sounds great when you talk about them but never actually come together to form a cohesive whole.

Top Bottom