• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Kubica is history for F1.

Also, Finnish media is reporting that Lotus is in talks with Kovalainen. I would like to see Kimi at Mclaren :)

paskowitz

I do not wish to spam this thread, so this will be the last time I will post this. If you are interested, send me a friend request over PSN (thepatriots). Then join my game. If you are not interested, just ignore this post.

Ferrari vs Mercedes Event

YXEcf.png

UvGZPl.jpg

Everybody is welcome to join.

Race starts in:
t1347130800z0.png

Allowed car:

Ferrari 458 Italia '09
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG '10
Ferrari 458 Italia Tuning allowed (564 BHP / 1485 KG):
  • Sports Exhaust Manifold
  • Catalytic Converter: Sports
  • Sports Exhaust
  • All other non-PP enhancing items allowed (gearbox, clutch, diff etc)
  • Aero parts are not allowed
  • Weight reductions and engine upgrades are not allowed
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Tuning allowed (614 BHP / 1620 KG):
  • Sports ECU
  • Sports Intake Manifold
  • Racing Air Filter
  • Sports Exhaust Manifold
  • Catalytic Converter: Sports
  • Sports Exhaust
  • All other non-PP enhancing items allowed (gearbox, clutch, diff etc)
  • Aero parts are not allowed
  • Weight reductions and engine upgrades are not allowed

Tyre Selection
Sports Soft​
Track:
Autodromo Nazionale Monza
Laps:
~30
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Heavy (Light damage only if requested by the majority of participants)​
Assists
ABS

Players Participating (4 / 16):
  • 01 - paskowitz
  • 02 - Niks
  • 03 - KaizorPenguin
  • 04 - Toxa
  • 05 - chillumchilla
  • 06 - Sleeplessnights
  • 07 -
  • 08 -
  • 09 -
  • 10 -
  • 11 -
  • 12 -
  • 13 -
  • 14 -
  • 15 -
  • 16 -
  • R1 - Dibbz
  • R2 - weekend_warrior
  • R3 - chillumchilla
  • R4 - gutterboy44
  • R5 - Norante
  • R6 -
  • R7 -
  • R8 -

No TC, No Automatic Gear Box

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 6pm GMT
Lounge reset - 6:55pm GMT
Qualifications start - 7:00pm GMT
Race start - 7:15 GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules: Car balancing may change between now and the start of the race. In addition the Mclaren MP4-12C may be added to the car list if a proper balanced tune can be found to compete with the SLS and 458. I may also choose to do a PP check.

Standing start​

Lounge:
Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Nolan.

so Lewis and I will just be focusing on getting our two cars out of the first corner in front of all the others.
Mclaren team work! (in all seriousness I just want a clean first corner and no repeat of last race to really see where everyone is)

Chris R

Great qualifying results, but who knows what T1 will provide.

And sounds like everyone is one stopping tomorrow? Yaaaaaaawn

Another classic Q&A with Kimi F1.com

Q: There is a lot of talk about the Spa start. This sort of start accident has happened many times before, so why so much fuss now?
KR: I have no idea. I was not involved in the issue so ask the people who were. I have nothing to say about it.

Q: But the consequence is that now everybody is talking about closed cockpits? Do you have an opinion on that?
KR: I think this sport is dangerous and if you are not happy to take the risk then you should do something else. I am sure there are plenty of drivers who are willing to take the risk driving a Formula One car as it is now.

Q: You and the team seem to hit it off. Will you carry on into 2013?
KR: I am happy this year here - and for next year let’s see. In Formula One you never know. Things can change overnight. (laughs)

Q: Other teams desperate for results have no doubt been knocking on your door. What - and who - could lure you away? A bigger team with limitless resources? A bigger salary?
KR: I have no interest in talking about those things because one word about it would get hyped into many half true stories, so I’ll keep it to myself.

Q: What about a return to Ferrari? Are you ready to swap black for red?
KR: Same answer as before.

Q: What’s still the best thing about being a Formula One driver?
KR: For sure not talking to the media. I am not a big fan of b*llsh*t questions.

Q: So what kind of questions are you happy to answer?
KR: Such a question doesn’t exist! (laughs)

Q: Who is the logical winner for you?
KR: Ask me after the race - I have never pretended to be a soothsayer. (laughs)

Q: But the consequence is that now everybody is talking about closed cockpits? Do you have an opinion on that?
KR: I think this sport is dangerous and if you are not happy to take the risk then you should do something else. I am sure there are plenty of drivers who are willing to take the risk driving a Formula One car as it is now.

For once, he gives an answer that doesn't make him sound like an angsty fourteen year old and makes sense. I agree 110%

mclem

Given that my parents have Sky and no ability to use the online streaming I might ask if I can use it instead... only thing is, what do I actually need to get from them to make use of it on my 360/PC?

mclem

I have no idea if they even *have* login details :)

Or that is, I suspect they do, but I also suspect they have no idea that they do, nor any idea where to find them!

Leunam

3aHl0.png

2011 Race Summary

Fernando Alonso was the first driver into the first corner, having made the best start off the line from fourth. However, his lead was short-lived; further down the field, Vitantonio Liuzzi made contact with Heikki Kovalainen and slid off across the grass and directly into Vitaly Petrov and Nico Rosberg. The three cars retired on the spot, while Rubens Barrichello escaped without terminal damage, but was forced to pit for a new front wing, ruining his race. The safety car was deployed as the debris was cleared up, and when racing resumed, Sebastian Vettel quickly claimed the lead from Alonso. Vettel would remain unchallenged for the rest of the race, claiming his eighteenth victory. Meanwhile, Jérôme d'Ambrosio retired on the first lap with a gearbox problem.

Further down the grid, Lewis Hamilton was caught unawares by the restart and was quickly passed by Michael Schumacher, whilst Mark Webber challenged Felipe Massa for sixth place going into the first chicane. The two made contact and Massa was spun around, but was able to continue racing; for his part, Webber tried to limp back to the pits with a broken front wing, but crashed out at the Parabolica, recording Red Bull Racing's first retirement of the season. Adrian Sutil joined the growing list of retirements several laps later with hydraulic problems, pulling his Force India VJM04 over at the Ascari chicane.

As Vettel and Alonso increased their leads, Hamilton began to threaten Schumacher for third. Schumacher was warned over the radio several times for blocking by team principal Ross Brawn; Schumacher was taking a defensive line going into the Ascari chicane before cutting back over to the racing line. The battle with Hamilton slowed both drivers down enough that fifth-placed Jenson Button could catch up to them, and things came to a head when Schumacher cut Hamilton off at the Curva Grande and forcing him onto the grass on the inside of the corner. As Hamilton backed off, Button was able to pass him. Where Hamilton's fight with Schumacher would last thirty laps, Button passed the Mercedes driver on his first attempt, leaving him free to pursue Alonso. Hamilton claimed fourth from Schumacher when the German made his first scheduled stop.

The Sauber C30s of Kamui Kobayashi and seventh-placed Sergio Pérez retired with near-identical gearbox problems, reducing the field to just fifteen drivers plus Daniel Ricciardo. Ricciardo's car had gone into anti-stall on the grid before failing to engage a gear. The car was immediately returned to the pits while repairs were carried out, and although Ricciardo returned to the circuit, he was some eight laps behind the last-placed Timo Glock at the time of Pérez's retirement. Ricciardo would ultimately finish the race fourteen laps behind race winner Vettel, and was therefore not classified as a finisher as he had failed to complete 90% of the winner's race distance. With just fifteen drivers on the track, the Team Lotus drivers of Heikki Kovalainen and Jarno Trulli were able to secure 13th and 14th place, further reinforcing the team's claim to tenth in the World Constructors' Championship.

Vettel went on to win the race by 9.5 seconds from Jenson Button, who had caught and passed Alonso with less than ten laps to go. Once freed from behind Schumacher's Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton started catching Alonso at a rate that meant the 2008 World Champion would only be able to pass his former team-mate on the last lap. Ultimately, it was not to be; Alonso completed the podium, crossing the finish line half a second ahead of Hamilton. Jenson Button scored his third consecutive second-place finish and fourth podium at Monza. After finishing fifth in Belgium, Schumacher repeated his performance with another fifth place, in front of Massa, whose race had largely been ruined by the early contact with Webber. Jaime Alguersuari scored a career-best finish with seventh place, ahead of Paul di Resta. The four points di Resta earned for eighth place, plus the double retirement of the Saubers helped elevate Force India to sixth in the constructors' standings. Bruno Senna scored his first World Championship points in ninth place, whilst Sébastien Buemi claimed the final World Championship point.

Circuit Info

[Click for Onboard]

XR8gX.png

Laps
53​
Circuit length
5.793 km (3.600 mi)​
Race length
306.720 km (190.596 mi)​
Lap Record
Rubens Barrichello - Ferrari - 2004 - 1:21.046​
Most Wins (Drivers)
Michael Schumacher (5)​
Most Wins (Constructors)
Ferrari (19)​

Previous Winners

2011 - Sebastian Vettel for Red Bull-Renault
2010 - Fernando Alonso for Ferrari
2009 - Rubens Barrichello for Brawn-Mercedes
2008 - Sebastian Vettel for Toro Rosso-Ferrari
2007 - Fernando Alonso for McLaren-Mercedes
2006 - Michael Schumacher for Ferrari
2005 - Juan Pablo Montoya for McLaren-Mercedes

Videos highlighting the Italian Grand Prix

Highlights from the 1979 Italian Grand Prix.

Highlights from the 1987 Italian Grand Prix.

Highlights from the 2008 Italian Grand Prix.

Changes from 2011

-The wall on the driver’s right approaching Turn One has been moved closer to the track and an additional marshal post provided 150m before Turn One.
-The track has been resurfaced from the exit of the Ascari chicane (turn 10) to a point after the exit of Parabolica (turn 11).
-The pit wall fence has been renewed.

GP Facts

-The Italian Grand Prix is one of only two ever-present races on the Formula One World Championship calendar, the other being the British Grand Prix.
-The 1971 Italian Grand Prix won by Peter Gethin is regarded as the closest contended finish in F1 history. Gethin beat Ronnie Peterson by 0.01s. François Cevert was third at 0.09s, Mike Hailwood at 0.18s and Howden Ganley at 0.61s. In 2002, when F1 had moved to a timing regime with three decimal places, the gap between Rubens Barrichello and Michael Schumacher at the end of United States Grand Prix was timed at 0.011s, Ferrari staging a formation finish.
-Ferrari have dominated the Italian Grand Prix with 18 F1 World Championship victories. They are one of four Italian teams to have won, the others being Alfa Romeo, Maserati and Toro Rosso.
-1961 saw the race last run on the full circuit, with Phil Hill taking his second of back-to-back Monza victories. Moss and Fangio have the distinction of having won on both the road course and the full circuit.

MUBIM.jpg

Drivers Championship
0uRyB.png

Constructors Championship
8rOwl.png

Fantasy League Championship
pVlY8.png

Thanks Leu..

I just changed to Macca from Lotus and to Sauber from Williams

This should be fun

EDIT: shit! it didn't save the changes for some reason... that sucks lol.. I would've been in an excellent position.. ah well

AcridMeat

Banned
Just caught up with Spa. Was a bit distracted but after the incident in T1 there didn't seem to be much going on besides some great racing by Vettel.

Then I go into Race Manager and see D'Ambrosio for Lotus? What the hell happened?

moojito

I've no idea how you could get to be a top f1 driver with a shitty attitude like raikonnen's. I'm sure there are plenty of decent drivers out there without that. His own answer about the sport being dangerous and anyone who can't deal with it should move over for people who can could just as well apply to being decent with the press and fans, etc. It's also part of this sport.

Business

The railing went through the middle of the car, it was his right hand.

Indeed. And the most worrying thing about this video is he seems to have his hand and forearm stuck in that same weird position it already had in the first pictures released a few months after the accident. I think he can be happy if he recovers this arm for his daily life, forget about F1.

I've no idea how you could get to be a top f1 driver with a shitty attitude like raikonnen's. I'm sure there are plenty of decent drivers out there without that. His own answer about the sport being dangerous and anyone who can't deal with it should move over for people who can could just as well apply to being decent with the press and fans, etc. It's also part of this sport.

When it comes to track Kimi is probably one the cleanest current active drivers (can't remember last penalty he got, never talking shit about other drivers) so if anything he has right attitude when it comes to racing.

shit attitude? maybe with the press only, and its so funny.

Maybe you're new to F1? That's what makes Kimi... Kimi

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Reports appearing online this morning on the Ferrari seat next year.
Its between Massa & Heikki for the seat only, no other drivers in the frame.

Ark

Reports appearing online this morning on the Ferrari seat next year.
Its between Massa & Heikki for the seat only, no other drivers in the frame.

Wasn't there something floating around earlier this year that Caterham said something about not expecting Heikki to be with them next year, or Heikki saying the same thing? Can't quite remember, but Heikki having another shot in a decent team is something I wouldn't mind seeing.

Adamm

Heikki at Ferrari seemed like an odd choice.
I always assumed they would get a young driver to play 2nd fiddle to Alonso until he retires. Heikki seems like a temporary choice until they find some one better.

Dead Man

Heikki at Ferrari seemed like an odd choice.
I always assumed they would get a young driver to play 2nd fiddle to Alonso until he retires. Heikki seems like a temporary choice until they find some one better.

I thought Heikki was young, but he's 30. Jesus I'm old.

Ugh, caught the flu yesterday and it's at it's worst right now. My head feels like it's about to explode, hopefully I can power through it for the race.

Top Bottom