• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Whitmarsh really hates it when Lewis does well. You can just tell how much he hates praising Lewis, everything he says about him is qualified and caveated. Lewis was half a second faster than the next fastest person, and he's talking about timing his run well. He just destroyed the competition today.

He's just trying not to slag off Button's performance, just as he does for Hamilton when Button outperforms him.

NHale

Whitmarsh really hates it when Lewis does well. You can just tell how much he hates praising Lewis, everything he says about him is qualified and caveated. Lewis was half a second faster than the next fastest person, and he's talking about timing his run well. He just destroyed the competition today.

Whitmarsh and Button out. Ron Dennis and Perez in, Lewis defined as number one driver.

Yeah because Ron Dennis sounds very happy with the recent Hamilton antics outside of the race track. I can't imagine his reaction when someone told him that Hamilton tweeted an image of the telemetry of the cars.

And that "McLaren likes Button more than Hamilton" conspiracy theory reminds of the people that say Massa is not faster than Alonso because Ferrari gives him a worse car to drive.

The race isn't won on Saturday.

No, of course not, but if Lewis gets away without too many problems (which is not a certainty given that purpose is on the front row) then I don't see how anyone will be able to challenge him, it is Singapore after all.

jey_16

Banned
You have to think there is no way Lewis leaves Mclaren with a car that fast unless he is seriously unhappy with the team or they are really low balling him on the money, they would be crazy to lose him

Timbuktu

We both should go together, bring some beer and watch quali or the race from that pool.

BRjqc.jpg

I hear that the Sands isn't a great hotel. The pool is nice, but the service doesn't match it.

I would say it can be a good weekend for McLaren if not for Maldonado being there. Who knows what he will do. And grumpy Hamilton is damn fast.

Igo

You have to think there is no way Lewis leaves Mclaren with a car that fast unless he is seriously unhappy with the team or they are really low balling him on the money, they would be crazy to lose him
I don't think Lewis is entirely happy, but I really don't believe Mercedes will be able to prove to him that they have a race winning car.

Mercedes poor results are actually hurting Lewis in his contract negotiations. Sucks for him.

According to a recent Guardian article, they're offering him 2/3s of his current salary.

NHale

I don't think Lewis is entirely happy, but I really don't believe Mercedes will be able to prove to him that they have a race winning car.

Mercedes poor results are actually hurting Lewis in his contract negotiations. Sucks for him.

He's probably betting on the benefits of driving a works team car when the new engines regs arrive in 2014.

Mercedes also has the right guys working for them on the factory and the pit wall.

Lewis wants the same setup that Alonso has at Ferrari (defined number one) and he wants more control over sponsorship deals. McLaren made a really stupid decision to sign Button on for the long term and this makes McLaren's position difficult now, because they won't be able to make Button a number two driver, he outscored Lewis last season and won the WDC in 2009, but it is clear to all but Whitmarsh that Button is not winning any WDC titles any time soon and Lewis represents the best chance for McLaren to win titles.

The sponsorship stuff is something they can negotiate and come to an agreement over.

jey_16

Banned
According to a recent Guardian article, they're offering him 2/3s of his current salary.

Wow....that's ridiculous, Button got a big money deal last year and now they can't even give Lewis an increase? That's a big insult, no wonder he would want to leave. Money can't be that tight at Mclaren.....

Wow....that's ridiculous, Button got a big money deal last year and now they can't even give Lewis an increase? That's a big insult, no wonder he would want to leave. Money can't be that tight at Mclaren.....

It really isn't ridiculous at all. Button's deal is also similarly modest compared to the mega-bucks payments that were being dolled out before 2008.

Dead Man

If you increase an enormous salary all the time you end with a problem. Money can't be that tight at Hamilton's bank, either.

Nolan.

Well done Mclaren, they are mastering every type of track at least with Lewis anyway, I was almost sure this was Redbull territory.

Leunam

There's really no denying that Maldonado is damned quick. If only he was a cleaner driver then he would get more support from me.

jey_16

Banned

Can't link daily mail but I am sure there are other sources

10m a year for 4 years.....Hamilton is on 15m currently and they want to reduce it to 10m according to the guardian, Mercedes have offered more 20m which would put him in Alonso territory

Ark

Can't link daily mail but I am sure there are other sources

10m a year for 4 years.....Hamilton is on 15m currently and they want to reduce it to 10m according to the guardian, Mercedes have offered more 20m which would put him in Alonso territory

I guess it depends on whether Hamilton wants to fill the bank or his trophy cabinet more.

NHale

Will Buxton said:
Some of the drivers thinking with heavy fuel and high temp, terminal deg on super softs might kick in after as few as 5 laps tomorrow. Wow.

If true, then those starting from 11th will have a massive advantage if they start on the softs. Does anyone know with which tyres did the Mercedes cars went out on Q3?

mclaren777

Maldonado in second means Hamilton won't finish the race.

I'm actually really worried about this.

Yeah, Hamilton is the Championship favourite.

He was from the beginning. He wouldn't have lost the lead in the championship if not for Mclaren's errors.

Hey, look! The FIA brought the conference table back.

I noticed that as well. Now if only they would get rid of the post-race interview podium...

John_B

Hamilton seems pretty mellow this season. It's seems insane if McLaren is offering him a weak contract.

Ron Dennis does not seem all the uptight about keeping great drivers in his team.

God that chicane is fucking bollocks.

Terrible to see Maldonado in the top 3 again. I'd rather have nobody between Hamilton and Vettel... that's going to be a great fight if the idiot doesn't wipe anyone out.

This theory is waaaaaay out there so bear with me.

If Vettel really signed up for Ferrari 2014-onwards maybe I can see Hamilton staying at McLaren for the 2013 season then jumping to Red Bull come 2014 once Vettel leaves.

RBR is practically a works team and still delivering good results. Horner has been serenading Hamilton in the past after all.

Hamilton can have the #1 driver status that he wants as well a competitive car over Mercedes.

This theory is waaaaaay out there so bear with me.

If Vettel really signed up for Ferrari 2014-onwards maybe I can see Hamilton staying at McLaren for the 2013 season then jumping to Red Bull come 2014 once Vettel leaves.

RBR is practically a works team and still delivering good results. Horner has been serenading Hamilton in the past after all.

Hamilton can have the #1 driver status that he wants as well a competitive car over Mercedes.

McLaren would never offer Lewis a one year deal, so that puts paid to that.

paskowitz

Looking through Alonso's twitter... damn he is fucking fit. And people say F1 drivers are not athletes and that racing is not a sport...

Ark

Looking through Alonso's twitter... damn he is fucking fit. And people say F1 drivers are not athletes and that racing is not a sport...

It shocks me that people still think this. F1 drivers are among, if not the, fittest athletes in the world.

Also, I'm pretty sure Hamilton's twitter is now controlled by a PR manager.

I'd have to agree with some of the other posters... if Hamilton can get away from loldonado safely at the start then I reckon he's got the race won.

If I was Vettel or Button I'd be TERRIFIED of trying to pass him. How's DRS at Singapore? I'm assuming fairly useless?

Pimpwerx

Finally watched the recording of qualies. Lewis with a devastating lap for pole. Contract year Hammy is using cheat codes.

He's still looking subdued, so I think people can put to rest the notion that it's just him being glum about his aunt's passing. It seems evident that it has a lot to do with his relationship with the team. At least they're giving him a good car to race with right now.

I hope he can get off the line quickly, and that Crashtor can hold everyone else up behind him.

I made a mistake not switching my chassis to McLaren in fantasy. I wanted to wait and see if Lotus would be competitive here, but I kind of overslept.

Anyway, I hope Lewis can maybe take max points from Alonso this weekend. It would be nice if he could grab another WDC and then take the #1 to another team. PEACE.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Last 3-4 races have been won from pole. As the teams are understanding the tyres, getting on pole is key to controlling the race.

Chris R

Pole is even more important on tracks where passing is difficult like this one. Though with the slower teams creating moving chicanes there might be a bunch of passing!

Screwed up my recording of Qualifying so I'll just wake up at 3:30 and watch the race live to prevent any more screw ups :p

Leunam

lnGiI.png

2011 Race Summary

At the start, Vettel kept his lead into the first corner, while teammate Webber fell to fourth. Hamilton tried to take Webber after a good start for third place, but had to back out and fell to seventh. Button and Alonso's good starts put them into second and third in the race. There was contact between Massa and Rosberg at Turn 1 forcing Rosberg to run straight across Turn 2 and filter in just behind Webber; he conceded the place back to Massa later in the lap. Ricciardo also made contact, forcing him to pit for a new front wing. Hamilton had caught Schumacher on lap 4, repassing him on the run to Turn 7, before passing Rosberg for sixth on the next lap. On Lap 10, Glock crashed at the final turn, and retired with rear suspension damage; whilst on the same lap Webber dived down Alonso's outside into Turn 14, Alonso then ran a bit wide allowing Webber to come down the outside again and take the position from him with a bold move at Turn 16. Alonso pitted on the next lap, switching from the option to the prime tyres. Meanwhile, Hamilton and Massa both pitted on lap 12, Ferrari winning the pit stop battle and with Massa staying in fifth place, and Alonso emerging at Turn 1 just in front of the pair, despite being held up by Barrichello. Alonso would also move back ahead of Webber, when Webber made his pit stop.

Hamilton attacked immediately on the out lap and made contact with Massa at turn 7. When Hamilton tried to go around the outside of the corner, he turned in clipping his front wing on Massa's tyre, causing both drivers – Massa with a right rear puncture, dropping him down to nineteenth, and Hamilton for a new front wing – to pit again. Hamilton was later given a drive through penalty for causing an avoidable collision. Behind Vettel and Button, di Resta had moved into third, after running a different strategy to the majority of his rivals. He kept this place until lap 19, when he conceded it to Alonso at Turn 7. He pitted not long after this, and fell to eighth behind teammate Sutil. Webber closed up behind Alonso and was half a second behind by lap 25, before Alonso pitted for the second time. Rosberg ran wide at the final corner on lap 29, which allowed Pérez and Schumacher to close up on Rosberg. Pérez took the defensive line for Turn 7, and Schumacher attempted to go around the outside. Pérez held the racing line, and Schumacher ran into the back of him, scattering debris across the track. Schumacher later described the incident as a racing incident, and that he had not expected Pérez to brake as early as he did. Schumacher retired while Pérez continued on relatively unscathed. The safety car was deployed while the debris was cleared, with many drivers electing to make pit stops, and as a result Vettel's lead of more than 20 seconds was wiped out.

At the restart, Vettel immediately pulled out a 4 second lead over second placed Button, who was stuck behind a train of backmarkers led by Jarno Trulli. Trulli was lapped by Kobayashi at Turn 1 while Button attempted to get past them. Webber passed Alonso down the inside into the "Singapore Sling" chicane, later describing the manoeuvre as spectacular. Martin Brundle also described the overtake, as "opportunistic". Even despite this overtake, Webber was already five seconds behind Button. Meanwhile, Hamilton began his recovery following his drive through penalty, and was up to sixth place on lap 38, before passing di Resta the following lap. Kobayashi was later given a drive-through penalty for ignoring blue flags, when Button had been stuck behind for over a lap earlier in the race. Trulli retired with a gearbox failure on lap 46. Webber pitted and changed to the option tyre on lap 48, and was temporarily overtaken by Hamilton. Button pitted the next lap and changed to another set of option tyres. This allowed Vettel to cover Button, and he pitted the next lap. As he exited the pits, the Lotus of Heikki Kovalainen was released into his path but he drove past Kovalainen in the pit lane exit. Alonso also made his stop on the same lap as Vettel, leaving him behind Webber this time.

With seven laps to go, Hamilton passed di Resta once again for fifth place, as team-mate Button set the race's fastest lap. Massa also managed to get back into the points after his clash with Hamilton, as he passed Barrichello and Pérez to move into ninth. McLaren were still trying to pressure Vettel, and Button closed the gap to under fround seconds by the time Vettel had cleared lapped traffic. Unfortunately for him, Button also had to clear this traffic, and just like Vettel, lost around two seconds behind the Williams cars. Alguersuari crashed at turn 18 on the penultimate lap, ending his day, but classified in 21st. Vettel was caught behind the Massa-Pérez scrap for ninth on the final lap as Button backed out of his fight for victory. Massa missed the chance to take eighth from Sutil by having to let Vettel through. Thus, Vettel took his third successive victory, leading from lights-to-flag for the first time since the 2010 European Grand Prix. He was followed over the line by Button, who was only 1.7 seconds behind by the end of the race, and took his fourth podium in a row. Webber completed the podium followed by Alonso and Hamilton. Di Resta scored his best finish in Formula One with sixth place, ahead of Rosberg, Sutil, Massa and Pérez, who rounded out the points.

Circuit Info

[Click for Onboard]

XR8gX.png

Laps
61​
Circuit length
5.067 km (3.148 mi)​
Race length
309.087 km (192.066 mi)​
Lap Record
Kimi Raikkonen - Ferrari - 2008 - 1:45.599​
Most Wins (Drivers)
Fernando Alonso (2)​
Most Wins (Constructors)
Ferrari, Mclaren, Renault, Red Bull-Renault (1)​

Previous Winners

2011 - Sebastian Vettel for Red Bull-Renault
2010 - Fernando Alonso for Ferrari
2009 - Lewis Hamilton for McLaren-Mercedes
2008 - Fernando Alonso for Renault

Videos highlighting the Singapore Grand Prix

Highlights from the 2011 Singapore Grand Prix.

Highlights from the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix.

Changes from 2011

-The track has been resurfaced on the approach to, and at the apex of, Turn 13.
-The outer pit lane has been resurfaced.
-All rubber kerbs have been replaced by fabricated steel sections anchored securely to the ground with 24mm diamter bolts.
-The single DRS zone here remains unchanged from 2011. The detection point is at Turn 4 and the activation point is after Turn 5.

GP Facts

-The Marina Bay circuit is the second slowest of the year after Monaco, with an average speed of just 172 kph (106.8 mph) and an average cornering speed of 105 kph (65.2 mph). Approximately 46 per cent of the lap is taken at full throttle, compared with over 75 per cent at the last race at high-speed, low downforce Monza.
-Singapore’s 23 corners mean that the twisting layout is very hard on brakes. It doesn’t do gearboxes any favours either with drivers changing gear around 80 times per lap.
-The 2008 race was a memorable one for David Coulthard. His seventh place for Red Bull Racing netted him the final points of his F1 career. DC bowed out of F1 following that season’s final event in Brazil.
-The Singapore GP is usually packed with incident and the safety car has intervened here at least once in every race since 2008.

MUBIM.jpg

Drivers Championship
xuIJL.png

Constructors Championship
Mzdyk.png

Fantasy League Championship
3pjmh.png

Shaneus

Amazing post as always, Leunam!

Looking at that points table, it's almost completely impossible for Webber to even contemplate a WDC run :/ Hope he can make a better run at it next year.

jey_16

Banned
I guess it depends on whether Hamilton wants to fill the bank or his trophy cabinet more.

I guess but you have to admit that with the ego's F1 drivers have, it would be a big insult for Mclaren to come to Hamilton and say we get that you are destroying your team mate in the championship and we are making a lot of money off you promoting our brand but were going to have to ask you to take a pay cut of 33%. No wonder he sounded out some big money offers to try and get them to up their deal which I am sure they have by now.....Mclaren need him just as much as Hamilton needs them

Thanks Leunam.

I enjoy reading your posts before the races.

Something that I now just realised is that McLaren should be able to go for WCC this year. If Button would back up Hamilton and both drive reasonably they could pull off constant double podiumfinishes. They deserve if for having the best driver line-up in years!

I guess but you have to admit that with the ego's F1 drivers have, it would be a big insult for Mclaren to come to Hamilton and say we get that you are destroying your team mate in the championship and we are making a lot of money off you promoting our brand but were going to have to ask you to take a pay cut of 33%. No wonder he sounded out some big money offers to try and get them to up their deal which I am sure they have by now.....Mclaren need him just as much as Hamilton needs them

Again, it's completely reasonable given the world we currently live in - something which cannot be ignored, especially when negotiating expensive contracts.

And even if you do ignore the outside world, over the last few years Hamilton hasn't really proved that he deserves anything more than parity with Button when it comes to his salary. It's all very easy to point to the current championship standings and claim, as you have, that Hamilton is 'destroying' Button, but by that same yard stick, Button destroyed Hamilton last year.

On the right day, he might be very bloody fast, but he's woefully inconsistent and incredibly volatile off-track. He's the complete antithesis of Alonso and Schumacher (in his prime), and it's that quality (coupled with speed) that really warrants the 'silly' money.

Top Bottom