• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Mastah

Yeah, it's a little off:

d12sin818.jpg

d12sin879.jpg

dpl1222se144.jpg

Eyes are 3-4 centimetres higher than top of steering wheel. I would say onboard with Kubica shows very well where eyesight is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpLjvkh4hQE

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Williams going to spend extra time developing their 2013 car so will start the testing season with last years car.
New car won't hit the track till the tests in Barcelona.

Mastah

Craig Scarborough ‏@ScarbsF1

Hearing worrying news this morning about team finances ahead of the new season. Fingers crossed for a full grid

This team is Force India.

It's not looking good. Financial problems at Lotus, Force India, Sauber and Marussia and god knows who else. If only Mosley could enforce budget cap for 2010, situation today would be a lot different.

Shaneus

Yeah, the talk from Caterham that I posted above (or maybe slightly different interviews) is that it's kinda ridic how some teams need to make it work on 35m Euro (I think that was the figure?) and the bigger teams had ten times that. Or something.

They really need to reign in the costs somehow, or share it amongst the lesser teams.

So could that be why they haven't announced a second driver yet? Probably makes it more likely that if there IS a second driver to be announced soon (and at this point, who knows?) it'll probably be a pay one and not someone like KK (unless he's scored a big money sponsorship).

f0rk

Where are the rumours for the European GP on July 21st at? Thinking I'm going to try to get to that, Hungary and maybe Germany this summer.

f0rk

Apparently it's not actually happening.

Stupid arseclowns still don't even know which German circuit is hosting either. :mad:

Yeah now I'm seeing Ernie saying 19 races... but the European one is still on their website. Guess I'll try and make the German one then. How is hostel accommodation near either of them?

I've never done the German one. Am considering it this year (though I'll be in some stupidly expensive hotel, because I'm a big fairy. ;)

Edit - Crap, most of the hotels are booked up, I guess in expectation that it'll definitely be at Hockenheim.

William's going to be late.

The team has announced that the FW35 will be unveiled at Barcelona on 19 February, the opening day of test two.

For the first test at Jerez on 5-8 February, Williams will run an updated version of its 2012 car.

"We will be running the FW34 (with 2013 livery) in Jerez to test a number of key development parts in preparation for the launch of the FW35," said a team statement.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105178

2013 pre-season dates

Car launches

McLaren January 31
Ferrari February 1
Force India February 1
Sauber February 2
Red Bull February 3
Mercedes February 4
Toro Rosso February 4
Williams February 19

Testing

Jerez 5-8 February
Barcelona 19-22 February
Barcelona 28 February-3 March

Omiee

just watched the season review by the bbc.

What an amazing season it was. I teared up. Their production level is just on league of its own. They made it look like a freaking movie.

What a season by Vettel. He really fought for it and im soooo happy he won it all.

It seems like the season just ended too...wait it did! The 31st - 8th are going to be awesome! If I was jewish it would be like a hannukah type thing; gifts just keep coming!

I keep away from this thread when it's off season so I don't have to count the days to the new season. It always works.

Really hope Mercedes step their game up (one year too late ;_;) and that Marussia take a big step forward.

Lotus I think will be one to watch, showed a lot of potential last year.

They really need to, the first half of last year was awesome because of the level that everyone was playing at. It was equal for the most part.

Without Fanvision, I'm apprehensive about enjoying Melbourne as much as I did last year :/

This has been my biggest concern about watching F1 live.

navanman

Toto Wolff leaving Williams to join Mercedes. Announcement tomorrow.
Is Brawn getting the boot from Lauda, taking the team all German.

Edit: Looks like he is taking Norbert Haug job. He has a 49% holding in Williams so he probably will sell up.

I need you all to cross your fingers for me that they don't announce where the German GP is being held until at least the 5th of February. I've found a hotel but I need to get paid before I can book it. :D

Edit: Looks like he is taking Norbert Haug job. He has a 49% holding in Williams so he probably will sell up.
Isn't Toto Austrian?

He's been a bit of a cheeky bitch (on the face of it) then, hanging around Williams long enough to get Bottas a seat, then moving on.

Mastah

SportBild reports that Glock is leaving Marussia!

SPORT BILD ‏@SPORTBILD

+++ Glock und Marussia werden sich in gegenseitigem Einvernehmen trennen. Glock: „Wir gehen in Freundschaft auseinander“ #sportbildplus +++

Also GT driver, Dirk Müller, wrote "Many congrats and welcome in the club:)))" to Glock on Twatter.

If true, silly season gets really silly this year. Not like I'm fan of Glock, because he's in my opinion average driver, but I guess it's because he brings no or little money to the team and they are financially struggling, so...

I had this feeling all was not well between Marussia and Glock last year (many races when Glock was struggling massively with his car due to unknown problems, while Pic had no problem with his, then Glock pulled out of European GP in the very last minute, which reportedly wasn't taken well by the team, and I heard some rumours about their relationship too). Glock's name didn't appear on FIA F1 2013 entry list in December and in press release of hiring Chilton, which are usual warnings that something like that may happen.

edit:

Done and dusted it seems, announcement tomorrow:

http://sportbild.bild.de/SPORT/form.../glock-und-marussia-gehen-getrennte-wege.html

Adamm

Who will be replacing him then?

I thought it would be a good idea to have an experienced driver along side Chilton in his first season in F1

navanman

Interesting interview with Newey out today explaining how their original exhaust configuration for 2012 was banned before it ran in testing.
He revealed that the banned 2012 solution was a sophisticated sort of rear brake duct that absorbed exhaust gases.

"There was a loophole in the rules for the area behind the rear suspension," said designer Newey. "So you could have something that collects the gases and transports them where you want them."

The FIA quickly closed the loophole, leaving Red Bull scrambling for balance at the start of 2012.

Full interview

cmr-94

Interesting interview with Newey out today explaining how their original exhaust configuration for 2012 was banned before it ran in testing.

Full interview

"I'm surprised how many of my colleagues at the meetings of the technical working group make the case for more restrictions. It's as if we are letting the turkeys vote for Christmas."

Great quote...Anyway, thank God it was banned is all I can say!

Top Bottom