• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Kimi Turned Down Williams for Lotus - http://www.yallaf1.com/2013/01/15/r...d&utm_campaign=Feed:+Yallaf1com+(YallaF1.com)

That's news! I always thought it was a money thing to be honest. Turns out that Kimi wanted a more competitive car

Briton Parr, who left his role as Williams chairman early last year and is now promoting a book, confirmed that he had talks with the Finn about driving for the famous British team in 2012.

“I wanted to bring Kimi to Williams in 2012,” Parr is quoted by Italy’s Autosprint, “but I could not guarantee a competitive car for him. When I spoke with him, I was impressed by his hunger and his determination.”

“Nevertheless, his value at the time remained unclear, and we didn’t know just how strong our car would be.”

DD

Poor di Grassi, great driver, but never had a proper chance in F1. I wish him luck now that he's an Audi driver for the Le Mans series.

I imagine he'd love to become that sort of star... but I'm just not buying it.

He's massively geeky.

Well, we had this rumor last year:

The McLaren F1 star is a huge music fan and wanted the opportunity to lay down some of his own material using state-of-the-art facilities — which have also been used by superstars including Robbie Williams and Kylie Minogue.

But sadly we won’t be hearing any of his singing. It’s just for his own pleasure.

A source said: “Not many people know Lewis has been making music in his spare time.

“He’s really into his R&B and has been cutting lots of songs that fit in with his taste. At the moment he’s fully focused on F1 so it’s unlikely any of the tracks will be made public.

“But he’s had good feedback from the few people who have heard them.”

Lewis has been renting the whole complex to ensure he’s not spotted by anyone.

It costs a few bob but the millionaire former world champion is hardly short of cash.

It’s a shame he doesn’t fancy handing out some of his CDs to radio stations, or even posting tracks online.mpu

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...Williams-and-Kylie-Minogue.html#ixzz2I3cl1IIM

DD

A Ford ad making a revival of the rivalry between Piquet and Mansel back in the 80's. This is just the first part that came out today.

EDIT: there were three races (for real!) and Nigel won the first one and Nelson won the other two. It seems that things didn't ended well for the cars, heh.

foto3.JPG

foto5.JPG

foto.JPG

Ford-Fusion-Pique-x-Mansell+(3).jpg

piquet.jpg

Ark

This really annoys me about Di Resta. He hasn't shown anything so far in F1 to lead us to believe that he will be anything other than a midfield driver, but he talks like he is too big for the team. It also doesnt help that BBC & Sky try to build him like he is something alot better than he is, just because he is british.
He may be a great driver, but until he proves it he should just shut up & drive

You're forgetting Di Resta is a DTM world champion and was on equal terms with Hulkenberg all year.

Every driver wants to get into a top team, the teams know that so what do they stand to gain telling their driver not to talk about wanting to be in the best form, in the best car?

Di Resta has a lot of potential, the question is whether he can achieve that or not.

Goldrusher

Pedro de la Rosa joins Ferrari.

Spaniard Pedro de la Rosa will join the Ferrari team as a development driver for the 2013 Formula 1 season, the Italian squad said on Wednesday.

De la Rosa, 41, was left without a drive for this year after the HRT team, with which he had a contract for 2013, folded at the end of last season.

Ferrari boss Stefano Domenicali said the Spanish driver will join compatriots Fernando Alonso and Marc Gene at the team to assist with simulation work during the year.

"We must anticipate problems we have and focus on simulation," said Domenicali.

"We think Pedro is the right person to develop this type of activity. We think he is a driver that fits well within our group."

Domenicali denied that de la Rosa's friendship with Alonso was key to his signing.

"Clearly the fact that Pedro has a good relationship with Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa is a positive factor, but the decision is purely technical," said the team chief.

De la Rosa, who made his Formula 1 racing debut in 1999 with Arrows, had already spent several years working as a test driver for McLaren before he returned to racing first with Sauber and then with HRT in 2012.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105129

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Yep, definitely. Glad he's still around in some way.

Most xp test drivers will be doing 2014 program on simulators during this year season. Mclaren, Lotus, Mercedes... so Ferrari is just following the suit. Pat Fry worked with PdlR at Mclaren, so he knows his qualities as test driver.

Leunam

My apologies, F1 GAF. I've been meaning to put together a small Off-Season OT like last year and I haven't gotten around to doing so. I will try my best to get it done this weekend. Not going to be a big affair, I'll be saving the questions to regular posters for the 2013 OT.

Hello... I'm a "fanboy" of almost all that is dubbed racing. I didn't know we have a F1 community here at GAF. I will be much more participative here in the future.

Anyone know if the F1 races are viewable on the iPad or some mobile device? MotoGP has a subscription package available directly from their website that allows me to watch their videos and live races. Anything like that for F1?

Adamm

Hello... I'm a "fanboy" of almost all that is dubbed racing. I didn't know we have a F1 community here at GAF. I will be much more participative here in the future.

Anyone know if the F1 races are viewable on the iPad or some mobile device? MotoGP has a subscription package available directly from their website that allows me to watch their videos and live races. Anything like that for F1?

There is no official F1 app that does this so the only way is an F1 broadcasters in your country has some sort of streaming app.

Sky in UK have it (as Psychotext said) but im not sure about any where else.

Hopefully NBC Sports will be more committed to streaming, mobile, and tech in general.

Hopefully NBC Sports will be more committed to streaming, mobile, and tech in general.

NBC Sports is very much committed to streaming. Of the big four networks, who all have NFL deals, only ESPN (via ESPN3) and NBC stream their games online. NBC's Sunday night game is always viewable for free and they have multiple cameras to select from. I believe they have done similar set-ups for their NHL games that are on NBC proper, too.

AndyD

aka andydumi

I think the agreement with FIA required the coverage to be similar to Olympics coverage. As in all events covered, streamed online or live on TV, archive of events online, live showing priority and something about commercials shown.

If it is like the Olympics, we will need a cable TV subscription for all online streaming, but we will get all events streamed live and archived online even if some are without commentary.

Shaneus

I have to say, while I have slightly better seats this year, I'm feeling somewhat perturbed by the fact that they won't have Fanvision there. I mean, what's the alternative... the official F1 app?

Edit: I must've missed this... Kovaleinen confirmed out?
Gascoyne: Kovalainen should have shown more respect
Caterham's Mike Gascoyne has suggested that Heikki Kovalainen would have been better served by taking a better approach to his bid to remain with the team in 2013.

The Finn has made no secret of his disappointment at not landing a seat for the coming season, either with Caterham or, based on his strong performances with the Leafield team, another further up the grid. With the already-confirmed Charles Pic bringing sponsorship to the team, Gascoyne claimed that neither Kovalainen's management group, nor his decision not to pursue financial backing to support his bid, helped the driver's cause.

“It is actually a great shame,” Gascoyne admitted to Crash.net, “Heikki is a very talented driver but, last year, his management did not handle him very well and he has not done himself any favours. It is a tough environment out there for everyone. He has had three years with Caterham, was paid well, and he should have shown more respect about that.”
So, Petrov and Pic in the green and yellow?

Oh, wait...
Kovalainen still in Caterham talks
Heikki Kovalainen has revealed that he is still in discussions with the Caterham F1 team, despite appearing to have been left out of the reckoning to partner Charles Pic.

The Finn's refusal to become a 'pay driver' seemed to have pushed him to the bottom of the list when it came to completing the 2013 line-up but, responding to comments made at the weekend by technical chief Mike Gascoyne, Kovalainen claimed that he had not given up on the chance of returning to the green-and-gold for a fourth season.

Gascoyne told Crash.net at the Autosport International exhibition that Kovalainen's stance of bringing funds to the team had shown 'a lack of respect', and the suggestion that Caterham needed a driver with sponsorship appeared to rule the Finn out of contention when the likes of Vitaly Petrov, Bruno Senna and Luiz Razia all claimed to have backing. Kovalainen, however, insists that he remains in the frame.

“The fact is that my negotiations are not with [Gascoyne], as I talk to Tony Fernandes and Cyril Abiteboul,” he told Finnish television broadcaster MTV3, “At the moment, the negotiations are continuing and I am not thinking about anything other than F1. Let's finish playing the game until the end and then, when we know the outcome, we can think about what to do next.”

But this...
Petrov hopes take another U-turn
Just over a week ago, Vitaly Petrov was being hailed as the final part of this year's Caterham F1 jigsaw, but his place in the line-up was always dependent on financial support.

That crucial part now appears to be missing from his bid as manager Oksana Kosachenko has revealed that talks with the Leafield team have stalled, opening the door for the likes of Giedo van der Garde, Luiz Razia and Bruno Senna to make late plays for the seat alongside Charles Pic.
Of course, the report, which appeared in Russia's R-Sport on Sunday, could be a ruse to extract the final drops of sponsorship from the few backers determined to see Petrov on the grid this year, but Kosachenko – who claimed, mid-2012, that Petrov was unlikely to be back in F1 this year – admitted that there was still a lot of work to do before her charge was secure.

“At the moment, there are a lot of unanswered questions,” she said. “There are too many things that need to be sorted out. We haven't managed to find new sponsors, and I don't know where the media got that suggestion from.”

I'd love to see the Russian get another drive again. One commenter on that article compared him to Kobayashi, and I think he's right in saying that they're not that much different from each other, career-wise. It'll be a shame if either of them don't have a drive next year.

NBC Sports is very much committed to streaming. Of the big four networks, who all have NFL deals, only ESPN (via ESPN3) and NBC stream their games online. NBC's Sunday night game is always viewable for free and they have multiple cameras to select from. I believe they have done similar set-ups for their NHL games that are on NBC proper, too.

I think the agreement with FIA required the coverage to be similar to Olympics coverage. As in all events covered, streamed online or live on TV, archive of events online, live showing priority and something about commercials shown.

If it is like the Olympics, we will need a cable TV subscription for all online streaming, but we will get all events streamed live and archived online even if some are without commentary.

Very, very nice. Thanks for that insight.

Every new season is exciting, but this one particularly so because of the switch in networks.

Omiee

Alonso to Hamilton: your the best driver in the world.

Hamilton to Alons: Your the best driver in the world.

Vettel to them both: fuck y'all i got 3 championships.

Man im starting to dislike alonso even more. Hamilton is seriously the one your always looking for in a race? Is that why you were covering vettel the second half of the year. Breaking seals of garboxes and using massa as driving road block.

Weird guy.

Ark

Alonso to Hamilton: your the best driver in the world.

Hamilton to Alons: Your the best driver in the world.

Vettel to them both: fuck y'all i got 3 championships.

Man im starting to dislike alonso even more. Hamilton is seriously the one your always looking for in a race? Is that why you were covering vettel the second half of the year. Breaking seals of garboxes and using massa as driving road block.

Weird guy.

Championship titles are not directly related to driver skill.

I'm not saying Vettel doesn't deserve them or isn't one of the best in the world, but he still hasn't peaked yet.

Alonso and Hamilton's new love-in has been explained many times anyway. They literally can't say anything different about each other without jeopardising their own driving reputations (because of the season where they finished on the same points).

Omiee

Championship titles are not directly related to driver skill.

I'm not saying Vettel doesn't deserve them or isn't one of the best in the world, but he still hasn't peaked yet.

Your absolutely right.

He has some room left to have more skill. I think he added a lot of it this year by having to start at the end of the grids sometimes and not on pole but mid grid.

I think 2 more of those seasons could make him set his mark on this sport as one of the greatest.

Deadman

The spec of the 2014 engine is very similar to the engine in the williams fw11 at the start of the video. I guess they will sound pretty similar too. Id be ok with that.

I just started watching the season review

First 3 races and its shit. It fails to capture the action that happened in the races. an the commentator is so dull! did they change him?

Leunam

Maybe I'm misremembering but Felipe had been improving, if only slightly. Fighting for the title would be a stretch, though.

Would be interesting to see if Felipe can be as disruptive to Alonso's titles chances as Webber is to Vettel's.

I don't know if it was just Alonso falling apart through stress, but if Massa's pace at the end of the year is real... he very much could.

But he needs to get a ton of points on the board as fast as possible or they'll make him play bitch again.

I don't know if it was just Alonso falling apart through stress, but if Massa's pace at the end of the year is real... he very much could.

But he needs to get a ton of points on the board as fast as possible or they'll make him play bitch again.

Massa goes in spurts like Webber.

You're right. His spurt will have to be at the beginning of the year of he'll be pulling over often...

Adamm

I was about to post saying this must be at chin level as there is no way it could be that bad.
But then...

lSYxH.png

Seriously? Is he sitting low? You cannot see a thing

He will need to get very far ahead very early, because I can still see them supporting Alonso even if he falls behind.

I was about to post saying this must be at chin level as there is no way it could be that bad.
But then...

Something's definitely wrong though... because you can visibly see that F1 drivers heads aren't that low in the car (from an external view). They do have problems on some hills, for sure, but nothing like you see there.

Top Bottom