• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Dilly

Banned
The KERS in 2014 is a ridiculous idea. 33.3 seconds of pressing a button? Who invented that? Who thought it was a good idea for the drivers to push a button for roughly 1/2 a lap on Monaco?

If they want that system so badly, just regulate it that there is a constant 80hp coming from the KERS unit with another 80hp coming from when the button is pushed, with a maximum of 6s per lap like it is now.

I don't see Ferrari having a good car this season. It's not like the Turd 2012 was a good base to build on.

I don't think it was a turd of a car. Their biggest issue was the DRS which affected their quali performance a lot. That, thanks to the FiA, will be solved for next year.

I expect to see them fighting for the front row from Melbourne

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/12/03/2012-f1-car-performance/

4th best car is a shit car when it's from a team that should always be fighting for a championship considering their financial resources and heritage.

That's on average, towards the end it was much faster than Lotus as proven by your link. The Lotus was constantly slower than Ferrari since after the summer break, bar Abu Dhabi, and things only looking better for the Ferrari after the ban of free DRS use in the quali. McLaren without Hamilton might struggle with two drivers who are known for being weak in qualifying so the only realistic challenge would remain Redbull who are automatically handicapped by the new rule

Ferrari had a good car and the latest updates proved to be working well with Massa, somehow they didn't work for Alonso but that doesn't mean that the car wasn't improving and it wasn't a decent car

Pimpwerx

That Mercedes engine looks sweet. Hamilton has to be eager to have that thing in his car.

He would've had it at McLaren too. :p

Any predictions for who will be quickest in winter testing this year?

My money goes to McLaren, based on their trajectory at the end of the season.

I want to believe Merc can make a leap forward, but I get a feeling Brawn might be pouring all their resources into developing the 2014 car, and might just use this coming season to develop concept parts for that future car. PEACE.

Xun

He would've had it at McLaren too. :p

Any predictions for who will be quickest in winter testing this year?

My money goes to McLaren, based on their trajectory at the end of the season.

I want to believe Merc can make a leap forward, but I get a feeling Brawn might be pouring all their resources into developing the 2014 car, and might just use this coming season to develop concept parts for that future car. PEACE.
Is it for definite yet?

I remember Honda engines were rumoured.

h3ro

397734_562554147107654_1840676756_n.jpg

Checo's new Helmet? If so, looks sweet!

Link: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=562554147107654&set=pb.212322815464124.-2207520000.1357907512&type=3&theater
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.381345235285744.95942.100345453385725&type=1

Confirmed to be a fictional mockup design.

Really looking forward to seeing some of the new car and helmet liveries!

h3ro

Sorry..False Alarm!

I wonder if Hamilton or Rosberg will change/alter their designs considering that they're both yellow based and it might make it easier to tell them apart

I'd like to see Nico go back to the Blue/Yellow scheme he had back when he was with Williams. The grey color he added after moving to Merc was really boring.

668uKl.jpg

I love that Lewis has kept basically the same lid since he was in children's karting. Hate that Vettel has never embraced having a single helmet livery and is constantly just using variations of a RB can with some random flair tacked on.
Kimi's lid at Lotus was really dull compared to some of the wild ones he wore during his Macca and Ferrari days, hope he jazzes it up with some Lotus gold this year.

Adamm

Hate that Vettel has never embraced having a single helmet livery and is constantly just using variations of a RB can with some random flair tacked on.

Yeah I hate that & he has gotten worse! - he changes it a few times a weekend these days!

I've also said before that if redbull start consistently finishing down the grid, Vettel will look pretty stupid changing his helmet every race. It only (sort of) works now because he is winning all the time.

Omiee

The KERS in 2014 is a ridiculous idea. 33.3 seconds of pressing a button? Who invented that? Who thought it was a good idea for the drivers to push a button for roughly 1/2 a lap on Monaco?

If they want that system so badly, just regulate it that there is a constant 80hp coming from the KERS unit with another 80hp coming from when the button is pushed, with a maximum of 6s per lap like it is now.

I dont want to base my opinion on what i read so far just yet. I think it actually could make racing a bit more interesting as to when you save kers to attack or defend.

Pimpwerx

Yeah I hate that & he has gotten worse! - he changes it a few times a weekend these days!

I've also said before that if redbull start consistently finishing down the grid, Vettel will look pretty stupid changing his helmet every race. It only (sort of) works now because he is winning all the time.
I actually like it. I know lots of guys are scared to change because of superstition, but Vettel gives something different to look at each weekend. Even for a hater like me. PEACE.

Chris R

And BTW, Galvao Bueno (brazilian F1 narrator) said that Jules Bianchi will get the seat on Force India. He might be an idiot and say a lot of crap, but he has his good sources.

Yep.

So now we are 100% sure KK is out? No more seats floating around?

T-2.5 months until the first race guys!

Chris R

Anyone know what this unannounced track is supposed to be? I'm still trying to work out which race I'm going to go to.

Unannounced? I thought the 19 race schedule was basically set in stone at this point because Austria didn't have the hotels to support a race and Turkey's government didn't want to give Bernie some more money?

Chris R

From the wiki page

The Nürburgring is scheduled to return to the calendar to host the German Grand Prix, in keeping with the event-sharing agreement first established in 2008 with the Hockenheimring for the two circuits to host the Grand Prix in alternating years. The Nürburgring last hosted a Formula One Grand Prix in 2011.[2][87] However, the Nürburgring fell into financial trouble and, as of 1 December 2012, it is not known which circuit will host the German Grand Prix.[88][89] The race was later brought forward by two weeks so as to create an opening in the calendar for an additional race in Europe.[77]

Ark

Did the FIA Gala review for 2013 ever get released? It's always bugged me how long they take to release them compared to the official race edits.

Adamm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hwLcwnu_E9s

Paul De Resta Interview...one of his better ones considering there's a bit of emotion/character shown

One thing that gets me with De Resta is how dismissive he is of Force India and he sees it as a cumbersome step before bigger and better things. He also seems to think he has some God-given right to be in a mclaren. I wonder how Force India think about him speaking out about it

This really annoys me about Di Resta. He hasn't shown anything so far in F1 to lead us to believe that he will be anything other than a midfield driver, but he talks like he is too big for the team. It also doesnt help that BBC & Sky try to build him like he is something alot better than he is, just because he is british.
He may be a great driver, but until he proves it he should just shut up & drive

Lewis Hamilton on guitar recently:

https://vimeo.com/54183275

He is better than I expected

One thing that gets me with Di Resta is how dismissive he is of Force India and he sees it as a cumbersome step before bigger and better things. He also seems to think he has some God-given right to be in a mclaren. I wonder how Force India think about him speaking out about it

I think you're projecting a bit there, given the interview you linked has none of that.

cmr-94

I think you're projecting a bit there, given the interview you linked has none of that.

Ok maybe not so much in that interview even though he does mention mclaren. Nevertheless I find it a bit of a reoccurring them throughout most of his late-season/post-season interviews.

Ravenn17

That seems low. I thought it was chin-mounted for a second, but that can't be the real eye-level. That is way too much steering wheel to be practical. I don't think the regular view is that much higher though. PEACE.

Did you see the end of the video? There are a few pictures of the GoPro he used while it was mounted on his helmet. It looks eye-level to me.

You're right though, it does look low. Maybe the seat wasn't set up for his frame.

Pimpwerx

Did you see the end of the video? There are a few pictures of the GoPro he used while it was mounted on his helmet. It looks eye-level to me.

You're right though, it does look low. Maybe the seat wasn't set up for his frame.

I'd stopped at the credits. I just watched again, and wow. That is eye-level, alright. That seems unreasonably low, but I never sat in and F1 car. PEACE.

Top Bottom