• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

AndyD

aka andydumi
I don't have access to the sector times right now, but I'm not convinced that last sector was his fastest. He was actually up on Hamilton's time in the middle sector and then lost a fair bit.

He lost time in the third sector every other lap though. I think he was pushing in the third, knowing its where he lost time, and he pushed too much. And a better qualifying spot is a competitive advantage, this is no 107% rule where if you did a lap in the past at any time you are OK.

Is Vettel under investigation? I can't find anything about it.

And I saw this so many times today or in the last races, so I would be not surprise if they talked about it in the drivers briefings.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Sure, but what I'm trying to say is that they'll argue that it was a mistake that gained him no advantage vs his other laps.

Maybe, but if he did not put in any other comparable laps in Q3 means it can be argued he did gain an advantage. Because all times get wiped away between Q sessions. And I don't think he put in any other similar times.

Edit: I just pulled up the app, that was the only qualifying lap he set in Q3.

And I saw this so many times today or in the last races, so I would be not surprise if they talked about it in the drivers briefings.

Because of it getting worse and worse they had a clarification about it before the last race. They were told they need to keep at least two wheels within bounds (white lines). And if they exit the track, then they need to re-enter without gaining a competitive advantage. And they have been instructed before that a qualifying lap where they leave the track does not count.

Vettel was penalized at the last race for it. I think Alonso's qualifying lap last time and Vettel's this time ought to be thrown out.

jey_16

Banned
What the? I go see TDKR again and when I get out, Hamiltonis on pole which is bad enough and the F1 thread is in the community section......vadernoooo.gif

AcridMeat

Banned
So how many folks on F1RM have Hammy as a driver now? Everyone? :lol

Maldonado got 9th, which is good for me as he's my #2.
My drivers suck but I did what I could with chassis and engine and I'm lookin good for now. Hopefully the race pans out as well.

Posting from my phone as I'm California Extreme this weekend, wont be able to watch the race until late Sunday/Monday. Enjoy guys.

lol at people wanting Vettel to get a penalty. I hope they discard Alonso's results from last race for this blatant and continuous violation of the rule to get Pole.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Anyone notice the FIA anti tamper stickers over 2 access holes on the front nose/wing of the RBR car?
Wonder is it related to the rumoured ride height adjustment damper.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Giving Vettel a penalty for that would be very lame. Doubt it even is that much of an advantage anyway.

In race penalty would be lame, invalidating the lap would be fair. Which would put him on 10th since it was his only lap in Q3. His advantage was qualifying in 3rd.

Anyone notice the FIA anti tamper stickers over 2 access holes on the front nose/wing of the RBR car?
Wonder is it related to the rumoured ride height adjustment damper.

The commentators said its so they do not replace the nose. Maybe that's the nose screws/connectors? And apparently they do that to all cars, the camera just happened to be there at RBR.

Shaneus

Came back from a night out birthday-celebrating to find Webber qualified outside of Q3. What the fuck happened?!?
Giving Vettel a penalty for that would be very lame. Doubt it even is that much of an advantage anyway.
Everyone else manages to stick within the confines of the track, why can't he? If it was grass, he'd have lost at least 2/10ths.

_machine

It's great to see Grosjean in P2, but I'm a bit disappointed in Kimi's results and Webber's too, especially compared to his teammate.

kharma45

Jblrz.jpg

Came back from a night out birthday-celebrating to find Webber qualified outside of Q3. What the fuck happened?!?

Everyone else manages to stick within the confines of the track, why can't he? If it was grass, he'd have lost at least 2/10ths.

What should happen to Alonso for getting Pole by going off track multiple times last race?

torontoml

I have to stay away from this thread all day tomorrow, the house I'm in doesn't get any channel that is showing the race live and the internet sucks to stream it. TSN is showing it at 5pm after they are done with the olympics for the day.

Leunam

NOnjn.png

i6vetp1jzjNnN.gif

2011 Race Summary

After mixed conditions wreaked havoc in the support races, the Grand Prix started with a wet surface. At the start of the race, the track was described as, "not very wet, but slippery" by Jenson Button; this meant that it would be much more difficult to get heat into the tyres at the start of the race. This also provided dilemmas for the team's engineers, as the were not wet enough to use the full wet tyres, which would disintegrate very quickly if used, while the dry tyres were presumed to not give enough grip. This meant that all of the drivers started on intermediates.

Vettel easily established a lead into the first corner, with Lewis Hamilton following in second after spending the first two corners successfully defending from Button in third. The Ferraris and Mark Webber struggled to get off the line on a damp track, the Mercedes cars of Rosberg and Michael Schumacher were fourth and fifth. Alonso and Webber dropped down to sixth and seventh, with Felipe Massa down in eighth followed by Paul di Resta and Kamui Kobayashi.

Massa took seventh from Webber early on the first lap, while Michael Schumacher and Fernando Alonso battled throughout the rest of the lap for fifth, culminating with Alonso passing Schumacher at the last corner. The Ferraris continued their recovery, as Alonso quickly dealt with Rosberg and closed in on Button, but he ran wide at Turn 3, allowing Rosberg to reclaim the position. Massa passed Schumacher, with Webber also following him through. Lewis Hamilton made repeated attempts to pass Vettel around Turns 1 and 2. The World Champion was able to hold him off until the fifth lap when he made a mistake and went wide at Turn 3, handing the lead to Hamilton, and allowing Jenson Button to catch up. Hamilton, now on a clear track was released and started to pull away from the rest of the field and was 5.5 seconds clear after ten laps. Alonso had by then taken fourth from Rosberg again, whereas his teammate Massa spun off on the slippery conditions, rejoining down in 9th. Jarno Trulli become the first retirement with a water leak.

As the track began to dry out, Webber was the first to pit for slick tyres and immediately set quick sector times. Button changed to slicks a lap later, but the leading duo of Hamilton and Vettel as well as Alonso stayed out a lap longer. Hamilton was unaffected due to the lead he had built, but Vettel and Alonso conceded places to Button and Webber who were able to pass them before they had fully heated up their slick tyres. After the entire field had pitted for slicks, the order at the front was Hamilton leading Button, followed by the Red Bulls of Vettel and Webber with Alonso, Rosberg, di Resta, Schumacher, Massa and Kamui Kobayashi completing the top ten.

Hamilton continued to extend his lead, building up a 9 second gap to Button by lap 20 while Button seemed to be preoccupied in holding back Vettel. However, then Button steadily began to close in on Hamilton whilst simultaneously pulling away from Vettel. Hamilton went to the pits for a new set of tyres, and was still comfortably ahead after Button and Vettel had made their respective stops. While Webber and Alonso fought for fourth and Michael Schumacher and Felipe Massa battled for eighth until Massa spun again and retired with a gearbox problem.

Alonso made an extremely early third pitstop for a new set of super-softs in the hopes of emerging onto a clear circuit in an attempt to undercut Webber, but Webber responded by staying out longer and opting for the soft tyres during his stop. Even though this dropped him behind Alonso, it ensured that if the race stayed dry, he would not need to pit again, unlike Alonso. Button and Vettel also chose soft tyres, but Hamilton followed Alonso's suit and ran on the super-softs which meant that he, too, would need a further stop to make it to the finish. The race was interrupted by a brief shower a few laps later, making the circuit slippery again. Hamilton spun at Turn 8, forcing Paul di Resta off the circuit and allowing Button to catch up. Hamilton and Button traded places several times, with the leader being given the first choice for pit strategy. Hamilton prevailed, and elected to return to the intermediate tyre compound. However, the circuit started to dry out again within two laps, forcing Hamilton to make another stop for dry tyres. He was also given a drive-through penalty for forcing Paul di Resta off the circuit. Elsewhere, Heikki Kovalainen become the fourth and final retirement for the same reason as his team-mate, giving Lotus Racing another double failure to finish.

This left Button leading from Vettel, as neither had pitted for the intermediates, while Hamilton dropped down to sixth behind Felipe Massa and Webber. Hamilton moved up to fifth when Massa made his final scheduled stop. Hamilton and Webber fought for fourth place, and as the two passed a massively congested midfield pack, Webber got stuck behind one of the backmarkers, allowing Hamilton the opportunity he needed to take fourth. Over half a minute in front of them, Alonso started closing in on Vettel at a rate that meant second place was a possibility by the end of the race, but then suffered another spin and he was forced to settle for third.

Jenson Button went on to win the race, his 200th Grand Prix start and the scene of his maiden victory ahead of Vettel in second and Alonso. Hamilton was fourth from Webber, whilst Massa – who had out-qualified Alonso for the first time since the 2010 Belgian Grand Prix – was the final car classified on the lead lap in sixth place. It was the fifth race in a row the driver who started in eighteenth place had gone on to score points when Buemi fished eighth. Di Resta truimphed over a midfield battle for seventh, with Rosberg dropping down to ninth behind Sébastien Buemi, whose teammate Jaime Alguersuari took the final point, whereas Kamui Kobayashi's tyre-saving strategy failed to work and left him outside the points.

Circuit Info

[Click for Onboard]

XR8gX.png

Laps
70​
Circuit length
4.381 km (2.722 mi)​
Race length
306.663 km (190.560 mi)​
Lap Record
Michael Schumacher - Ferrari - 2004 - 1:19.071​
Most Wins (Drivers)
Michael Schumacher (4)​
Most Wins (Constructors)
McLaren (10)​

Previous Winners

2011 - Jenson Button for McLaren-Mercedes
2010 - Mark Webber for Red Bull-Renault
2009 - Lewis Hamilton for McLaren-Mercedes
2008 - Heikki Kovalainen for McLaren-Mercedes
2007 - Lewis Hamilton for McLaren-Mercedes
2006 - Jenson Button for Honda
2005 - Kimi Räikkönen for McLaren-Mercedes

Videos highlighting the Hungarian Grand Prix

Highlights from the 1989 Hungarian GP

Changes from 2011

-The track has been resurfaced around Turn 14.

GP Facts

-Despite the lack of overtaking opportunities at the Hungaroring, pole position does not guarantee a win,at least not lately. Since 2005 there’s been just one winner from pole (Lewis Hamilton in 2007). Conversely, in the five years before the ’05 race, the race was won from pole four times (the only exception was 2000 when Mika Hakkinen won from third on the grid).
-Jenson Button’s win from 14th on the grid in the rain-hit 2006 race represents the biggest gap between starting position and the top of the podium. Button is followed in that regard by compatriot Nigel Mansell, who scored victory from 12th on the grid in 1989. The Ferrari driver powered his way through the field in the race after complaining of being hindered by traffic in qualifying.
-The wet race of 2006 also saw Pedro de la Rosa record the only podium finish of his career to date. Racing for McLaren in place of Juan Pablo Montoya, the Spaniard drove a well-judged race from fourth on the grid to finish second. His next best finish is fifth, a placing he’s managed four times so far (Italy ’01, Bahrain ’05, and Turkey and China in 2006).
-The Hungaroring was the scene of Fernando Alonso’s first grand prix win, in 2003. At the time, it made the Spaniard F1’s youngest winner, at 22 years and 26 days, some 78 days younger than previous record holder Bruce McLaren. The Australian driver’s record had stood for 43 years. Alonso’s reign would last just two: Sebastian Vettel smashed it with victory in Italy in 2008, aged just 21 years and 73 days.
-Former Toro Rosso driver Jaime Alguersuari also set a record in 2009 when making his F1 debut here he became the youngest ever F1 race driver at just 19 years and 125 days.
-Caterham’s Heikki Kovalainen claimed his first (and to date only) F1 win at the Hungaroring in 2008. The Finn, driving for McLaren, started second behind team-mate Lewis Hamilton. However, both were eclipsed at the start by Ferrari’s Felipe Massa. Hamilton slotted into second but fell back after suffering a puncture. Massa looked on course for a comfortable win, but three laps from home his engine expired, handing Kovalainen a lead he didn’t let go.

MUBIM.jpg

Drivers Championship
aoahs.png

Constructors Championship
VWgyx.png

Fantasy League Championship
zMs77.png

navanman

Lovely preview, hard to see past a McLaren win based on previous results, even Heikki won here before.

pants

2011 - Jenson Button for McLaren-Mercedes
2010 - Mark Webber for Red Bull-Renault
2009 - Lewis Hamilton for McLaren-Mercedes
2008 - Heikki Kovalainen for McLaren-Mercedes
2007 - Lewis Hamilton for McLaren-Mercedes
2006 - Jenson Button for Honda
2005 - Kimi Räikkönen for McLaren-Mercedes

So much McLaren

Pimpwerx

I'm still RedShift Racing. :D I'm like 800 points out of 1st in the overall, but I fully intend to win our subleague. You've all been put on notice. :p

Oh yeah...GO HAMMY! PEACE.

Those last few laps of the GP2 race were really nice to watch. Great battles, overtakes and a Lotus GP win on top of that. I hope the F1 race goes similar.

Yen

Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1
The teams expect it to rain in the Hungarian GP - thundery, downpour-style rain, with aquaplaning and potential stoppages

navanman

Hard to know if it will rain this afternoon. It rained this morning but then the track was bone dry for the GP2 race which is just finished.

Edit:
------ Oh well, race stoppages would suck.

Is Sky insane?

Because filling two hours of pre-race coverage wasn't boring enough, they're doing two and a half hours now!

e: Oh wait, nvm, it was just a 10 min. part of the coverage, which is better than ads, I guess.

Omiee

I cant believe how much faster mclaren have become since the last grandprix.
Also very happy for grosjean, would really like to see the lotus have some pace and him wining his first GP.

Top Bottom