• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013-2014 Off-Season |OT| Powered by 1.6L V6 Turbo

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Working as Hard As Motherfucker, huh?
Hm, Autosport is reporting that this was Fernando's first try of 2014 car in their simulator, Felipe tested it before.

Brawn revealed for the same site that they have been working on 2014 car for a long time, Willis started the programme and Costa took over in the summer. Bell was charged for 2013 car. If I recall correctly, they have been using simulator for next year's car since September.

Hm, Autosport is reporting that this was Fernando's first try of 2014 car in their simulator, Felipe tested it before.

Brawn revealed for the same site that they have been working on 2014 car for a long time, Willis started the programme and Costa took over in the summer. Bell was charged for 2013 car. If I recall correctly, they have been using simulator for next year's car since September.

Ferrari's simulator probably is about as effective a preparation as walking your dog though.

Ferrari's simulator probably is about as effective a preparation as walking your dog though.

playseat2r3pmp.jpg

They probably need that money so if the russian money ain't coming, they're gonna have to grab it somewhere else...

And reading that Abitboul interview from Caterham about drivers "having to participate", I fully expect them to go for pay drivers as well. Does VDG bring any sponsors ?

VDG has backing from McGregor Fashion, he's rumoured to be signing for Sauber.

Staab

Just some more info, VDG married his long time GF this weekend, and she is the daughter of the guy who owns McGregor (who has a billion+ euro net worth).

I'm not one to usually do this but... obligatory avatar quote :
image.php

And yeah, from his stint at Caterham, VDG seems like a decent driver: he has shown good maturity in the interviews I've seen him in...

Button's predictions of the winter test in Jerez.

"Winter testing is going to be hilarious in Jerez," the McLaren driver is quoted as saying by Autosport. "It will be cold, the tyres aren't going to work, the cars probably won't work either and when you do get a lap it is probably going to feel weird because you are running higher gears - you get into eighth gear before you get to seventh gear now.

"It is a very different way of driving and you have to forget a lot you have learned over the years in terms of the driveability of a racing car, the engine, the power output of a racing car and the way you put the power down. It is so, so different."

"No one knows how they will perform until the first race next year," said Button. "It is going to be tricky because we do have a lot more torque with the engine. There will be a lot less downforce as there will be no [exhaust] blowing. I don't care what they say, there is still a massive amount of blowing on an F1 car. It is going to be very tough to get to grips with it.

"There is a lot to learn for all of us, even the experienced drivers, and it is exciting. You want to be out on circuit at the tricky corners, even Turn 2/3 [at Jerez] will be tough to get the power down. You need a throttle pedal that is a metre long to control the torque of the engine. "

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/9078524/Button-First-test-will-be-amusing

1. RBR
2. MER
3. LOT
4. FER
5. SAU
6. STR
7. FI
8. WIL
9. McL
10. MAR

I like that list. I find it hard to judge Marussia on any sort of level, but we'll count that as a strike against. McLaren thoroughly deserves the bottom of your barrel.

My question was actually aimed at the drivers. If Ron says "What you're looking for is an intellect", which guy on last year's grid would he least likely to find any? Mald-o? Chilton? Someone else?

Eddie Irvine says the double points scheme for the last race of the season is "tinsel town bullshit" and he wont watch another GP until they change it.
I assume this rule changed came from a desire to sabotage RBR in the event they lose that race, but what if Vettel is down in the championship race and double points turns out to play a decisive role in him getting that fifth WDC?
Thats really not fair to him, any other driver or the fans.

Hasney

I don't think it's to sabotage or benefit any team, but more to do with Abu Dhabi money so they'd pay to be the last race again.

dubc35

I like that list. I find it hard to judge Marussia on any sort of level, but we'll count that as a strike against. McLaren thoroughly deserves the bottom of your barrel.

My question was actually aimed at the drivers. If Ron says "What you're looking for is an intellect", which guy on last year's grid would he least likely to find any? Mald-o? Chilton? Someone else?

ha, sorry misunderstood the question

do want
Ferrari has hinted at a return to the highest level of sports car racing now that the new generation of F1 engines comply with LMP1 regulations.

Ferrari has not had a factory team in prototype sports car racing since 1973, but with Porsche returning next year to do battle with Audi and Toyota the series is becoming increasingly competitive. Next year's V6 turbo F1 engines and powertrains will comply with ACO regulations in the LMP1 category and a possible Ferrari return has been rumoured for some time.

Speaking at Ferrari's Christmas celebrations, president Luca di Montezemolo praised his company's GT programme and left the option open for an LMP1 project.

"We have won with the 458 GTE, but I also quite like the idea of racing at Le Mans in the highest category: who knows, maybe one day we can return and win, say thanks and come home," he said. "Maybe we should give it some serious consideration…"

http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsport/story/139671.html

Mastah

Nico Rosberg ‏@nico_rosberg

just spun at full speed 320km/h on bahrain straight cause my tyre blew up without warning.thanks to that need to get some toilet paper now..

Great job, Pirelli!

edit: He already deleted this tweet, lol.

Mastah

Yeah, Sutil-Gutierrez is quite average line-up.

Meanwhile at Caterham:

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperf1 11m

Meanwhile @Ericsson_Marcus looks increasingly secure at Caterham, now a question of who his team mate will be

Good news?

"Red Bull has lost two more of its senior technical staff with Mercedes signing key figures Mark Ellis and Giles Wood.

Both men are set to join the Mercedes Formula 1 team in June 2014 once their current contracts have finished.

Ellis is head of Red Bull's vehicle dynamics, while Wood is its chief engineer for simulation.

They will become Mercedes' performance director and chief engineer for simulation and development respectively.

Wood and Ellis are the first key signings that new Mercedes team bosses Toto Wolff and Paddy Lowe have confirmed since taking over responsibility from Ross Brawn.
"
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111908

Being from Sweden I love this Ericsson news, he's a pretty good driver as well, really quick, just needs to get all the way to the checkered flag more consistently.

NHale

I have to say if Ericsson news is true, then everyone should start taking Eddie Jordan words as gospel.

No one in their right mind even thought of Ericsson in F1 and then EJ comes and "predicts" he will be a Caterham driver a couple of months ago. If it happens, I will never doubt anything he says.

Lach

I have to say if Ericsson news is true, then everyone should start taking Eddie Jordan words as gospel.

No one in their right mind even thought of Ericsson in F1 and then EJ comes and "predicts" he will be a Caterham driver a couple of months ago. If it happens, I will never doubt anything he says.

His Hamilton to Mercedes call last year was incredible! No one took that seriously until a few weeks later. I don't know how much insight and inside sources he has in the teams but his accuracy even with out of the blue predictions is extraordinary

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
33 seconds of KERS? Seems like a lot. Think we'll see more interesting passing attempts because of it or will it not matter?

Mastah

33 seconds of KERS? Seems like a lot. Think we'll see more interesting passing attempts because of it or will it not matter?

It's no longer released by pressing a button, because it will be blended with power coming from the engine. So more or less the same for everyone.

Which sucks :( Less real overtakes, more artificial passing with DRS, blargh.

dubc35

Kinda scared to see how much slower the laptimes will be.

One thing I love about f1 is simply how much faster around a track they are compared to other race cars and esp street cars. Start taking that away and it loses a fair bit of its appeal to me.

Slower, heavier, and with penis noses

Top Bottom