• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013-2014 Off-Season |OT| Powered by 1.6L V6 Turbo

Kinda scared to see how much slower the laptimes will be.

One thing I love about f1 is simply how much faster around a track they are compared to other race cars and esp street cars. Start taking that away and it loses a fair bit of its appeal to me.

The tires will have a lot of influence on that, but probably by few seconds. It should be imperceptible on TV however. May even look faster due to the significant torque increase.

It's just the nature of rule changes. I'm sure the FIA looks at a window of years rather than just year one. They'll be slower next year, but three years from now they'll probably be faster. Got to build some growth room in.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
It's no longer released by pressing a button, because it will be blended with power coming from the engine. So more or less the same for everyone.

Which sucks :( Less real overtakes, more artificial passing with DRS, blargh.

Ah, that's a shame. Might have been better if it could be used tactically by the driver. Is there freedom to set where it can be used by software?

Zeknurn

Bb3BARjCUAAUTyt.jpg:large

That "I've made a huge mistake" face on Boullier.

Mastah

Kinda scared to see how much slower the laptimes will be.

One thing I love about f1 is simply how much faster around a track they are compared to other race cars and esp street cars. Start taking that away and it loses a fair bit of its appeal to me.

Laptimes are already up to 4 seconds slower than 2004 cars with monster V10 engines and super sticky tyres, but also up to 2 seconds slower than in 2010, because of inferior quality of Pirelli rubber.

But there's nothing to worry about. With Pirelli starting to deliver their tyres for GP2 in 2011, they also slowed down by 2-3 seconds. Otherwise, we would see GP2 being quicker than F1 at some stage of some races, lol. I just caught Monaco GP2 race from 2010 and on lap 4 out of 43 the fastest lap was 1:23.4, while this year because of massive tyre saving in order to make only one stop in Monaco, Rosberg between laps 39-45 (out of 78) did times in range of 1:23-1:25. Pathetic driving 5-6 seconds off the potential pace, but well, that's apparently what people want to see, show and entertainment, not pure sport.

Ah, that's a shame. Might have been better if it could be used tactically by the driver. Is there freedom to set where it can be used by software?

I'm not really sure. I've read somewhere they can play with it a little, but nothing major.

They got rid of KERS? Wtf?

They replaced it with ERS, more power and more time per lap. Thought I don't think it's connected to a button, just the engine management system and it's programed depending on the circuit and how they want to deliver the power boost.

Caramello

"Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg suffered a high-speed blow out today during the third and final day of the Pirelli test in Bahrain.

“Just spun at full speed 320km/h on [the] Bahrain straight [be]cause my tyre blew up without warning. Thanks to that need to get some toilet paper now...” he joked on Twitter, although he subsequently deleted it.

As it is a private test, no times and little other information has been released, although it is understood following the failure Mercedes ended its programme prematurely."

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/199063...t-paper-after-pirelli-test-tyre-blow-out.html

Also:"The Italian tyre supplier in the meantime released a statement, saying that the failed tyre type will not be used again, and that findings of investigation into the failure will be passed on to the teams and the FIA.

"The tyre tests in Bahrain regarded a number of prototypes, which were completely innovative in terms of structure and compounds, with the aim of developing the most suitable solutions for the next season."

"This morning Nico Rosberg’s Mercedes was fitted with one of these prototypes, a tyre which had only been tested in the laboratory and which will not be proposed again.""

http://www.f1technical.net/news/190...-Integrated-Feeds+(Formula+1+Integrated+Feeds)

Deadman

Next year sky have 10 exclusive races again.

Australia, Bahrain, China, Monaco, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Singapore, USA and Brazil.

So bbc have Malaysia, Spain, Canada, Britain, Belgium, Italy, Japan, Russia, Abu dhabi.

Mastah

So I think it's as good as confirmed, cars with Ferrari engines will have to drive in fuel saving mode at some circuits:

"Ferrari never liked the fact that we may be pushed a lot to work on strategy to save fuel to finish the race," he said.

"This is a risk that could in some way change the image of F1, if cars have to save fuel in order to finish the race.

"This is unavoidable and we have done our best to have very low fuel consumption. We are working on strategy to be able to finish the race in the minimum total time."

"The image has been of a sport where you have to push for the maximum performance. So to think that having some more fuel would have avoided going in fuel-saving mode at certain tracks, like Melbourne, would have helped to understand the situation better."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111919

Let's see if other engine suppliers have to do the same or to the same extent as Ferrari.

Hasney

How was the BBC coverage this year without Jake?

A bit worse, but Suzy got better throughout the year. Miss Jake, but Suzy is about a million times better than that Sky ginger bloke.

Usually watched the build-up on BBC and switched to Crofty/Brundell for the races they both had.

Dilly

Banned
Conserving fuel only makes sense in Endurance sport, not in the F1 format.

Keep on ruining the sport, at least that's something the FIA seems to be good at.

RayStorm

Conserving fuel only makes sense in Endurance sport, not in the F1 format.

I disagree. Especially in nowadays time.

I would however love to give the teams much more freedom in how to make their cars. Limit the amount of fuel and money they may use and the maximum dimensions of the car and mandatory crash stability, but aside from that, let them build cars with 50 wings, ground effect and manual DRS, that are powered by whatever engine they can fit in their fuel/energy budget for a race.

If thats then purely electric, diesel or fusion powered... I don't care. And if they manage to design a fuel sipping V12 or extremely powerful 3 cylinder engine, I don't care either. I would love to see more out of the box development, more variety. More innovation.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Great news; I like Kobayashi. I just hope the Caterham is more competitive, otherwise we'll rarely see him on screen unless being passed by Vettel.

02b55c34.jpg

Hasney

Are Caterham planning to switch to Honda engines?

Of the drivers out there with experience, he was the only one that came with $6million.

I'd bet that depending on Caterham's current engine contract and their competitiveness next year, Honda may offer them some favourable terms to be paired up with Kobyashi.

TCRS

Banned
Next year sky have 10 exclusive races again.

Australia, Bahrain, China, Monaco, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Singapore, USA and Brazil.

So bbc have Malaysia, Spain, Canada, Britain, Belgium, Italy, Japan, Russia, Abu dhabi.

BBC has the better races I would say except in the case of Australia and Brazil. fuck you Sky.

Top Bottom