• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013-2014 Off-Season |OT| Powered by 1.6L V6 Turbo

Omiee

just read about shumi staying in life threatening conditions.

i thought in the morning they said he was stable.

i really hope he gets well soon.

cilonen

Gutted and pulling for him. We need 10/tenths quali lap efforts now Schumi, come on!

I'm sure most people have F1 folk & journos on twitter but Gary Hartstein ( @former_f1doc ) is doing sterling work cutting through the bullshit floating around and explaining what the medical procedures are in these circumstances. He occupied the F1 Medical Car following Sid Watkins departure until last season so the man knows his stuff.

Edit: to clarify, from what we know so far he was conscious after the accident and went to a local hospital by helicopter, at some point the condition was deemed to be more serious and he was either induced into coma by doctors or fell into coma himself and was transferred to the ICU at Grenoble, also by helicopter.

NHale

It was confirmed by hospital that he arrived there in coma.

And one of the reasons that could cause the induced coma was the needed trip to a better hospital.

But so far it's only speculation. Nobody in the press knows if it was induced or not.

what a shitty, inappropriate little article from the Guardian this is. Takes subtle digs at Michael as the man fights for his life. Fuck Paul Weaver, he is clearly still mad about things that happened over a decade ago and his unyielding snide, dismissive tone makes my blood boil. He marshalls forth Michael's achievements only to dismiss or diminish them with some caveat.
Schumacher, of course, as well as being among the very greatest of F1 drivers – though not, perhaps, as pre-eminent as his dominating CV would suggest ...The fact that he won more championships and races than any other driver in the history of the sport – though his compatriot Sebastian Vettel threatens to dismantle his records – tempts some people to judge him as the greatest driver of them all.

Most judges, though, stick with Senna and Jim Clark as the champions among the champions

yes, thank you Paul for that bit of context, how completely appropriate you fucking tool

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/dec/29/michael-schumacher-retirement-speed

avaya

what a shitty, inappropriate little article from the Guardian this is. Takes subtle digs at Michael as the man fights for his life. Fuck Paul Weaver, he is clearly still mad about things that happened over a decade ago and his unyielding snide, dismissive tone makes my blood boil. He marshalls forth Michael's achievements only to dismiss or diminish them with some caveat.

yes, thank you Paul for that bit of context, how completely appropriate you fucking tool

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/dec/29/michael-schumacher-retirement-speed

It is a fact that Michael and Ferrari dominated the most technically competitive era of Formula 1 ever. Stratospheric budget, unlimited testing, insane engines, tyre war, exotic materials, everything pushed to the very edge of the envelope. It was the very essence of what Grand Prix racing used to be about. The battle of the manufacturers, the titans. Today is gimped joke status in comparison. The man competed for every championship from 1994-2006 bar 3 years, one in which he moved to a team who were a circus act and another in which he broke his leg and a third in which the rules were turned upside down to target Ferraristone.

Snivelling little shits like Weaver are par for the course.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Head injuries of all things... Let's hope he doesn't suffer lasting damage. :-(

McLaren must've sacked those responsible for this year's donkey?

The McLaren-Honda aero dream team is coming together:

2013 arrivals

Matteo Sansavini, Senior Aerodynamicist - Ferrari to McLaren

Jacob Mercanti, Aerodynamicist - Caterham to McLaren

Guillermo Vilaplana, Aerodynamicist - Air Liquide Advanced Technologies to McLaren

Christian Schramm, Team Leader Aerodynamic Technology R&D - Promoted

Steven Reichard, Aerodynamic Design Engineer - Marussia to McLaren

Tom Dix, Aerodynamic Performance Engineering - Rolls-Royce to McLaren

Brian Gruncell, CFD Engineer - University of Southampton to McLaren

2014 arrivals

Peter Prodromou, Chief Aerodynamicist - Red Bull to McLaren

Dan Fallows, Team Leader, Aerodynamics - Red Bull to McLaren

McLaren to have the best aerodynamics and engine from 2015 banderas.gif

dubc35

I just watched Rush, so good. Much better than I thought it would be. Sure it is hollywood-ized but still very good. I found myself thinking of MSC while Nikki was in the hospital.

Chris R

So Schumi is out of the danger zone right? I've always heard the first 48 hours are the danger zone with head injuries. Assuming they can get him out of the induced coma he should be able to make at least a partial recovery if not a full one.

Terrible news about Schumi. I hope he fully recovers and quickly.. Poor guy, leaves F1 first time around and he gets into a biking accident, leaves F1 for a second time and he almost died! Just get him back in F1 permanently!!

Shaneus

He already confirmed Caterham, I think. I hope none of the bigger teams will use it. The less exposure it gets, the better. Poor Kamui, though. I would've loved to see his first reaction to the nose, though.
zQIqB80.jpg

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Any real F1 news?

Yeah, Lewis publishes images from his winter break on cross country skis on his twitter and website. People went ballistic ie "where is your helmet" / "you have no helmet bro" and how inappropriate images are...probably 99% of them never tried cross country skiing...

May as well have a helmet on for walking too then.

I wear a helmet for cross country mountain biking, and it's saved my arse (head) a few times. Just because it's not full on downhill doesn't mean you don't get up decent speed from time to time.

Zeknurn

I wear a helmet for cross country mountain biking, and it's saved my arse (head) a few times. Just because it's not full on downhill doesn't mean you don't get up decent speed from time to time.

There's a big difference between biking and basically walking with skis on.

dubc35

Olympic cross country skiers don't wear helmets, and they can get moving on some sections.

[edit] F my L @ penis noses :(

Zeknurn

@ScarbsF1: I hear that the Lotus Senior Performance Engineer, Rod Nelson has left to return to Williams.

I feel like that Williams might have a good season this year with all the recent hirings and a solid driver lineup.

Hasney

I feel like that Williams might have a good season this year with all the recent hirings and a solid driver lineup.

I think they'll do better than last season, engines willing, but I don't think the real benefits will be seen until next season or the season after.

Top Bottom