• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013-2014 Off-Season |OT| Powered by 1.6L V6 Turbo

Zeknurn

The Ferrari doesn't even look that bad from this angle.

Tbv5Uaw.jpg

Mercedes and Red Bull still did it better, though.

Are you me? That's exactly what I said elsewhere.

Nicktendo86

Has BBC's live text ballsed up for everyone? Is Mercedes power powering their service too?

Yep, not working at all. I can't get Sky's to work either, I think they are having problems with the internet out in Jerez. Not sure if that would affect it...

chadskin

Apparently, they mounted a spring of the rear wheel suspension the wrong way on Vettels car yesterday and had to dissamble "thousands of other components" to get to that spring. Crazy it takes them that long, though.

Nicktendo86

Apparently, they mounted a spring of the rear wheel suspension the wrong way on Vettels car yesterday and had to dissamble "thousands of other components" to get to that spring. Crazy it takes them that long, though.

Haha so almost exactly the same as McLaren's fuck up last year, except RB noticed the mistake first.

Not sure how I feel about this:

At slow speed, coming out of the pitlane or coming out of the corners, they sound like a teenager's spiced-up car, but on full power it’s quite a nice, clean, roar – not a high revving sound which hurts your ears. In fact, I’ve not had to use my ear plugs at any point during the day. The noise reminds me of a Formula 3 car – it’s not quite as loud as a GP2 car.

That soul vibrating edge at full revs was part of the experience for me. Track side at least.

Juicy Bob

Yeah, I've not been physically rocked by the engine sounds just yet. Won't really need to worry about earplugs at this rate, although I think it should be said that we haven't heard the engines really being pushed yet at all.

chadskin

2013: 1m18.861s (Button, McLaren)
2014: 1m27.820s (Hamilton, Mercedes)

Best lap times on day one of testing in Jerez. They really haven't pushed the cars yet.

there's lengthy HD footage of 2013 Jerez from (presumably) unauthorized sources all over youtube, undoubtedly there will be some of that this year. We will just have to play a frustrating waiting game. also, have to say the RBR10 looks the nicest of any of them thus far.

I know we have heard plenty of audio clips, but it just never really sank in until seeing the video of the cars out on the track today. My god, they have utterly castrated those engines. Turbo whine is kind of cool sounding but it just isn't the same without the screeching engines. I am so glad I got to see the V10 19,000-20,000 RPM days at the first race at Indy and a few at Montreal.

I was hoping we would get some fantastic coincidence news that Schumi would show signs of improving the same day F1 testing started. I just made myself depressed. Ugh, come on Schumi, pull through.

Mastah

And it's the end for Mercedes today:

Tobias Grüner F1 ‏@tgruener 42s

AMuS exclusive: Mercedes frist test day is over. No spare front wing at Jerez. Reinforced spare part will be flown in tomorrow a.m.

That's almost an exact replica from Lewis' first day crash last year. Last year's was the backstraight, iirc.

Interesting nose on the RB. What's that thing made of? It's got inlets on it as well.

operon

Surely there is no way that Force India wing will last the first corner of a race. Mercedes being on the same wave length as Ferrari gives me some hope Ferrari will do ok. till Mercedes reveals that their wind tunnel is wrong or something.

Caterham has just been revealed according to autosport.

Also: IMO: I love the diversity between each of the cars front end. They are growing on me quick, as is the sound of the new engines (I read a lot of gaf but don't post).

DrM

Redmond's Baby
And it's the end for Mercedes today:

They will probably have it by tomorrow morning with some private flight... but still very unusual to be without spare one, maybe they broke some other piece in crash and they are without that?

Hahaha. Well this whole nose thing just turned the corner of weird to hilarious and fun. Won't be confusing any of the cars on the grid this year. I really hope the race results are just as exciting and ridiculous.

Staab

Holy fuck, Caterham... wow, there are no words to describe this ugliness...
In any case it's bold and there's diversity, that's interesting !

operon

Close up show now, it's all over. The end of formula 1 is here, that Caterham is vile. They should be 2 wings stuck together so that when that from wing stuck on the end of the penis comes of after the first corner the won't have to pit. So many front wings going to need replaced. At least the first race of the season will go back to having few finishers due to reliability problems etc they used to be great times

Hasney

Close up show now, it's all over. The end of formula 1 is here, that Caterham is vile. They should be 2 wings stuck together so that when that from wing stuck on the end of the penis comes of after the first corner the won't have to pit. So many front wings going to need replaced. At least the first race of the season will go back to having few finishers due to reliability problems etc they used to be great times

They survived the above Ferrari and that is much worse.

Top Bottom