• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013-2014 Off-Season |OT| Powered by 1.6L V6 Turbo

Kworn

Banned
IMG_4991-886x590.jpg

Hammer24

Banned
The Marussia doesn´t look so narrow around the ERS and turbo placements - they should not have the overheating problems. Maybe their optimism is not unfounded?

TylerD

With RBR having all these issues it is a chance for us to potentially see how good they really are. If they can recover by the time the first GP begins to be in the top group that will really say something.

I'm pulling for them to be there by race 1.

NHale

Renault blaming RBR for their own problems.
They have installed the ERS and turbo outside Renault's recommended positioning in the car.

Newey designed car.

If they are having overheating problems with air temperature of 12ºC, I can only imagine what is going to happen in Bahrain.

cmr-94

With RBR having all these issues it is a chance for us to potentially see how good they really are. If they can recover by the time the first GP begins to be in the top group that will really say something.

I'm pulling for them to be there by race 1.

I don't think there is a question over how good they are tbh. Nobody knows how complicated the problem is or how easy it is to fix

TCRS

Banned
weird colour combination though. I don't like it. Weird name as well, what kind of name is Mother Russia for a racing team? And Red Bull, a fucking energy drink. We need more racing teams named after their owners/founders like Minardi, Tyrrell and Sauber.

Jezbollah

weird colour combination though. I don't like it. Weird name as well, what kind of name is Mother Russia for a racing team? And Red Bull, a fucking energy drink. We need more racing teams named after their owners/founders like Minardi, Tyrrell and Sauber.

Welcome to F1.

DBT85

I'm not convinced it's all about Red Bull. There's almost been no Renault running over the last three days.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was problems with the power unit which are a result of what RB have done to fit it in.

If you will go off spec then you run the risk.

Hammer24

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if it was problems with the power unit which are a result of what RB have done to fit it in.

...and let´s not forget, that they make these specs up as they go along. After all, all these new engines are still very much prototypes.

True, though there's obviously a deeper issue as all three Renault cars have managed something like a cumulative 40 laps.

Mastah

F1 Fanatic Live ‏@f1fanaticlive 1m

Deja vu. Vergne is climbing out of the Toro Rosso which is parked on the pit apron again. Red flag with 14 minutes on the clock.

Vergne jumps out of the car to avoid getting a shock - another electrical problem seems likely.

Vergne had only just left the pits so that was an early failure.

Haha.

Staab

Potentially not a good outlook for Schumi :(

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/25938347

That's quite contrary to what has been said by her manager Sabine Kehm :
she briefly spoke to the media in the past 24hours to say that the doctors were progressively reducing doses and starting the process of getting Michael out of the artificial coma. I doubt they would be doing that if the situation had worsened, so it must be that :
A) he's stable and B) he's showing signs of recovery on the neurological front

Which, to me, sounds more positive than negative, but we'll see in the coming weeks... fingers crossed.

DBT85

Day 3 Completed laps
1. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) 62 laps
2. Fernando Alonso (Ferrari) 58
3. Kevin Magnussen (McLaren-Mercedes) 52
4. Felipe Massa (Williams-Mercedes) 47
5. Jenson Button (McLaren-Mercedes) 40 laps
6. Adrian Sutil (Sauber-Ferrari) 34
7. Jean-Eric Vergne (Toro Rosso - Renault) 30
8. Nico Hulkenberg (Force India - Mercedes) 17
9. Robin Frijns (Caterham - Renalut) 10
10. Max Chilton (Marussia - Ferrari) 5
11. Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull - Renault) 3

Engine laps
Mercedes 218
Ferrari 97
Renault 43

Renault engineers were last seen attaching the power unit to a skateboard in order to be sure of adequate cooling.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
92 laps for Mclaren. Good thing with double driver strategy. Also Mercedes as engine supplier must be jumping with joy with all that data.

mclem

That's quite contrary to what has been said by her manager Sabine Kehm :
she briefly spoke to the media in the past 24hours to say that the doctors were progressively reducing doses and starting the process of getting Michael out of the artificial coma. I doubt they would be doing that if the situation had worsened, so it must be that :
A) he's stable and B) he's showing signs of recovery on the neurological front

Which, to me, sounds more positive than negative, but we'll see in the coming weeks... fingers crossed.

dubc's posting an older story which was some neurological experts talking about what theoretically could be the case. It's all possibilities right now, anyway.

From Red Bull's Twitter:

"We’d love to have done more laps. The team assumes it’s something they need to sort out in the factory... "

"We’re trying to get the car ready for tomorrow. If things don’t go to plan then, we have 2 weeks until the next test so time’s on our side."

"Adrian’s gone back to the factory to work out the next best step. These guys know how to win. She’ll be right!"

Looks like they're pretty much done with Jerez, but I'm absolutely confident that they'll be more than ready at Bahrain.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I still cant get over the steep descent in the nose right after the wheels. It needs alittle more graceful slope and I would like a lot better. One of the other cars has a smoother slope and it looks far better.

DBT85

Yup.

Starting to get excited for the season despite penis noses and double points.

On the subject of double points, which we all hate the idea of. What are people's thoughts on if you HAVE to have them, have them for a grand slam series of races. So eg, Monza, Spa, Silverstone, Interlagos, Monaco.

Rather than just the last few races.

I still cant get over the steep descent in the nose right after the wheels. It needs alittle more graceful slope and I would like a lot better. One of the other cars has a smoother slope and it looks far better.

We all laugh at the dong noses, but the teams that run them do so by extending it out beyond the front wing. It really helps with "graceful slope" because the bulkhead doesn't need to be as steep.

Rock the cock

dubc35

dubc's posting an older story which was some neurological experts talking about what theoretically could be the case. It's all possibilities right now, anyway.

Yes, just theory from doctors who have dealt with other people in somewhat similar cases. All speculation at this point though. We won't know until he comes out the coma.

Sorry, I didn't know it was old news. The article was dated yesterday so I thought it was new(er).

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Please dear God let Vettel win another championship due to double points making the difference.

That seems inevitable now, someone will take a Button esque early lead in the championship due to Renaults shitty engines then Vettel will go into the last 3 races behind and still win the championship by 75 points. Queue Bernie saying its not exciting enough and quadrupling the points for the following season.

AndyD

aka andydumi
On the subject of double points, which we all hate the idea of. What are people's thoughts on if you HAVE to have them, have them for a grand slam series of races. So eg, Monza, Spa, Silverstone, Interlagos, Monaco.

Rather than just the last few races.

I also think that rather than the last few races, they should do it for flagship races for each continent/zone. One in the Americas, one in Asia, one in Europe.

What may also help with the points would be to award some points for qualifying positions. What is GAF's position on this. I know some cars go for different setups and don't always strive for pole, but would it make a positive difference?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Looks like they're pretty much done with Jerez, but I'm absolutely confident that they'll be more than ready at Bahrain.
I'm sure of that too but its going to mean they lose focus on improving the launch spec car.
The Mercedes powered teams have basic reliability nailed down already so will working on setup and next aero improvements.

I have to say, the McLaren is looking by some margin the best balanced car. Having spent the day walking the circuit, whether in the hands of world champion Jenson Button or rookie Kevin Magnusson, the MP4-29 was cornering as though it was on rails.

@andrewbensonf1: FIA considers controversial McLaren wishbones legal - suspension exempt from moveable aero device rule & it's clearly primarily suspension"

@NobleF1: McLaren's suspension 'blockers' idea set to be copied with FIA happy that it is legal

McLaren have designed their rear suspension so that these rear wishbones are as much to the back as possible, attaching to the very rear of the gearbox housing. The team have therefore also been unable to combine the driveshaft with the lower wishbones like Red Bull and Ferrari have done. It is exactly this suspension geometry that would make it extremely hard for other teams to simply copy the design, as it would require redesigning the gearbox, the rear suspension mountings and the suspension wishbones, creating a combined impact on aerodynamics and mechanical behaviour that will take time to verify and optimise."

I'm liking these words, I would absolutely love it if McLaren annihilated the competition after all the shit about them becoming the new Williams last year.

According to L'Equipe: Michael Schumacher has "blinked" and is "responding to simple instructions"

NHale

Read someone at trackside single out the McLaren as being particularly good and 'on rails'.

Gonna put money on it, the McLaren will be a rocket this year.

Edit: link of some guys observation http://thejudge13.com

I remember the exact same comments last year after Button lap time on day 1 of testing. It was all over, McLaren has cracked the code with the low nose without a step, they were smarter than everyone else and were going to end the drought. Even Felipe Massa went out and said it was impossible for Ferrari to do a laptime on a green track and low track temperature.

How did the season end up for McLaren?

I'm always baffled at people making assumptions based on winter tests especially this year where teams are basically learning everything again and no one has pushed the car because of fear of failures and valuable data. Winter test lap times should always be ignored and especially this year. Nobody is sandbagging but nobody is pushing either, and it's quite easier to be "on rails" when you're not pushing compared to when you are driving on the limit.

Even last year when everyone knew the cars, winter test gave us a McLaren blistering pace in Jerez and Lotus struggling in the last test at Barcelona. A couple of weeks later it was a Lotus car that won the race.

Top Bottom