• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013-2014 Off-Season |OT| Powered by 1.6L V6 Turbo

mclem

And now it's official: RBR done for this test.

On the bright side, at least Bahrain's reknowned for it's pleasantly cool climate...

I love the last sentence even more:

Surely you chosing to take the money from places like Korea, India, Bahrain or Abu Dhabi instead of racing in countries that love F1 has nothing to do with it, right Bernie?

I dont mind the sound of the new turbos, but the rules and regs about the fuel dont really reflect the spirit of F1, they reflect the spirit of an endurance race like LeMans

Horner:

"It's been a very difficult test,We have had numerous Renault issues as well as chassis cooling issues, which have affected our progress. What we have managed to learn shows that the problems should be solvable for the next test in Bahrain. There will now be a lot of focus on the dyno over the next few weeks."

Juicy Bob

But is the problem Renault, or how the Renault engine fits into their car?

Kobayashi's managed almost a full race distance so far today and he's got a Renault engine.

The problem they have now is clearly cooling related. There were other Renault problems over the last few days though (mostly ERS related).

DBT85

By the sound of it they even moved the turbo from where Renault suggested it go lol.

Why bother sticking to what the people who make the thing tell you!

Alonso with 60+ laps is good news, but compared to what the Mercedes is doing it's peanuts.

WAY TOO EARLY SEASON PREDICTION of the week

Mercedes is gonna dominate the early part of the season, with Ferrari hobbling behind all season thanks to terrible qualifying sessions. Red Bull will get their shit together right before the mid-season break and compete with Mercedes for the title with Ferrari falling further behind in the process.

1. Rosberg
2. Vettel
3. Alonso
4. Hamilton
5. Kimi

1. Mercedes
2. Red Bull
3. Ferrari
4. Mclaren
5. Williams
6. Lotus

chadskin

Newey screw up confirmed.

Red-Bull-Formel-1-Jerez-Test-31-Januar-2014-fotoshowBigImage-fe6d461a-752469.jpg

Mastah

Another Renault bites the dust:

Caterham F1 Team ‏@CaterhamF1 2m

Our positive Friday has unfortunately come to a close with a Power Unit component issue ending @kamui_kobayashi's day in the car early.

Mastah

Sutil is clearly enjoying driving his Sauber with new power unit, but so far his talent is not good enough to keep it on the circuit:

BfUH9uRCEAIHW4T.jpg:large

Juicy Bob

I heard Kobayashi's Caterham spluttering on his way into the pits and saw a whiff of smoke too. Shame for him, but he's done a decent load of laps.

Pimpwerx

Only started reading this thread again. Any websites with timing from testing? The site from last year is still showing last year's results.

Also, I'm just learning about this double points thing and change of penalties. Also, I like the change to the numbering system. NASCAR drivers are identified by their numbers for the most part. It will be nice to have a set number you can follow over a driver's career.

I really hope Merc can get the championship this year. Lewis deserves a dominant car, dammit. PEACE.

dubc35

I hope Renault is able to fix their issues for everyone except RBR. Although then they'll fix it in time for the last 10 races with quintuple points so Vettel will still win WDC.

Double points gimmick is still so fucking stupid.

Risgroo

I hope Renault is able to fix their issues for everyone except RBR. Although then they'll fix it in time for the last 10 races with quintuple points so Vettel will still win WDC.

If someone steals the title from Vettel because of double points, it will be the best thing ever. If Vettel is 49 points behind into the last race and grabs the title, I'll fucking kill someone.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I think that folks at Williams are having a party today, because they made a stellar move with engine supplier change :D

NHale

Helmut Marko after the panic meeting yesterday said the main problem right now is not the Renault engine, it's the car.

If you read between the lines, in yesterday's interview Ricciardo didn't appear very sure the car will be ready for Melbourne.

If the rumors are true and the Red Bull problems are caused by the design of coke bottle and sidepods it will probably require a big change on the car that will not be ready for Bahrain.

If this is true (and it looks like it) they have to go the 2012 Ferrari route and try a short fix for damage control and try to bag some points when other cars DNF and at the same time develop a B-spec of the car which is something that will take at least 3 months.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I can't understand how RBR didn't hit these issues on the dyno, I mean Jerez has been no warmer than the UK has been, so either they knew coming to Jerez they were going to have overheat issues or they've had very little dyno time either, if it's the latter then they really are behind.

Certainly makes the next test more interesting, that's for sure.

dubc35

If someone steals the title from Vettel because of double points, it will be the best thing ever. If Vettel is 49 points behind into the last race and grabs the title, I'll fucking kill someone.

I agree. Although in either scenario it gives the double points gimmick a huge lift in the "excitement" it creates, thus solidifies it.

DBT85

I can't understand how RBR didn't hit these issues on the dyno, I mean Jerez has been no warmer than the UK has been, so either they knew coming to Jerez they were going to have overheat issues or they've had very little dyno time either, if it's the latter then they really are behind.

Certainly makes the next test more interesting, that's for sure.

Because a dyno is a soundproof room with lots of ventilation and and engine in it, with bespectacled, pipe smokers sitting in a small booth behind a sheet of glass making vroom vroom noises.

It is about as far from being packaged too tight and off spec in the arse end of a car designed by a guy known to be a) a genius and b) uncompromising in his pursuit of a slippery car above all else including reliability, design specs and tolerances, as you can get.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Because a dyno is a soundproof room with lots of ventilation and and engine in it, with bespectacled, pipe smokers sitting in a small booth behind a sheet of glass making vroom vroom noises.

It is about as far from being packaged too tight and off spec in the arse end of a car designed by a guy known to be a) a genius and b) uncompromising in his pursuit of a slippery car above all else including reliability, design specs and tolerances, as you can get.

Not entirely true, there are chassis dyno's as well as engine dynos, so the term can also be also used to refer to a similar system that can run the engines at working revs in-situ on the car, with the car's rear wheels sitting on a dual-roller arrangement.

A bit like this, although the one I saw at the Force India factory was not on a ramp, but was integrated into the floor of the factory.

chassis%20dyno.jpg

Yeah, frankly I'm extremely surprised that they haven't simulated it with the sort of air pressure that they know an F1 car generates over a lap. How they couldn't have known until know just blows my mind.

Unless the engine wasn't completed until very recently.

Osiris

Yeah, frankly I'm extremely surprised that they haven't simulated it with the sort of air pressure that they know an F1 car generates over a lap. How they couldn't have known until know just blows my mind.

Unless the engine wasn't completed until very recently.

Judging by the Renault results across the board I'm guessing this is the case.

Alonso with the most laps on the day. SUCK IT MERCEDES! CHAMPIONSHIP BABY!

(I know that little bugger Hamilton actually did like 40 laps as well, but we all know Ferrari is gonna crush my hopes and dreams once again at some point this season, so might as well enjoy it now)

Osiris

Wow, those issues do not sound small, fixable sure, but there's no doubt they are seriously behind, and are going to remain seriously behind even at Bahrain, because Ferrari and Mercedes are not going to be standing still between now and Bahrain either.

I'm sure issues will be mostly gone by the first race, but there's no doubt Renault powered cars are going to be at a disadvantage in the early part of the season at best, and could have a mixed or even horrid time for the whole season at worst.

f0rk

Would be hilarious if Vettel won his 5th world championship because of double points in the last race after the car being bad for the first half of the season.

Top Bottom