• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013-2014 Off-Season |OT| Powered by 1.6L V6 Turbo

"Less than competitive nature of the last few rounds". So now watch when Vettel wins the WDC by roughly 60 points more than last year. Was it double points for the last race or the last three? I've forgotten.

Prediction: Audiences will drop even lower now that Webber's not in it ;)

Who's Webber?

Mastah

James Allen speculates that Peter Prodromou may stay at Red Bull after all:

But in a further twist, it now appears that Prodromou’s arrival at McLaren is looking less likely to happen as Red Bull Racing have been working hard to get him to stay. The Englishman of Greek Cypriot parentage signed a contract with McLaren last autumn, but Red Bull team boss Christian Horner said at the time that he would not release his man until “at least” the end of his existing agreement with the Milton Keynes squad.

Now, in scenes reminiscent of Ron Dennis persuading Newey not to leave McLaren for Jaguar Racing despite signing a contract to go in the summer of 2001, it seems that Prodromou may stay at Newey’s side.

Contractually he is due to join McLaren at the end of his current contract, but there are indications that Red Bull wants to retain its man. McLaren would probably sue for breach of contract if he did not come to the team, but that is a matter of financial settlement, which Red Bull can well afford.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/02/meanwhile-behind-the-scenes-at-mclaren/

Finally got around to watching Rush last night. What a massive disappointment. That movie belongs in the same bin as Fast and Furious and Driven when it comes to racing movies. The score was horrid, the racing cinematography as cliched and brainless as Torque. Vroooom, blur, 50 quick cuts, vrooom, shifting, gas pedal stop, shifting, vrooom, blluuuuuurrrrr. Jesus, why even bother using the real cars in the movie if it is just a CG copy and paste of a Fast and Furious movie. My absolute favorite was how zero effort was put into the continuity or accuracy of the on track footage. "Hunt takes the lead into turn 1" but shows turn 8 or 9. Shows them racing each other, turns are all out of order. And the best, Lauda leaving the pits a few seconds behind hunt at Nurburgring and it shows Hunt going around Carousell as Lauda leaves the pits. Haha, thank god I didn't drop the money to see this garbage in the theater. Ron Howard was so proud of the accuracy of Apollo 13, using the original training modules, blah blah. Just says fuck it because it is race cars, vroom vroom the audience is stupid they won't know.

Finally got around to watching Rush last night. What a massive disappointment. That movie belongs in the same bin as Fast and Furious and Driven when it comes to racing movies. The score was horrid, the racing cinematography as cliched and brainless as Torque. Vroooom, blur, 50 quick cuts, vrooom, shifting, gas pedal stop, shifting, vrooom, blluuuuuurrrrr. Jesus, why even bother using the real cars in the movie if it is just a CG copy and paste of a Fast and Furious movie. My absolute favorite was how zero effort was put into the continuity or accuracy of the on track footage. "Hunt takes the lead into turn 1" but shows turn 8 or 9. Shows them racing each other, turns are all out of order. And the best, Lauda leaving the pits a few seconds behind hunt at Nurburgring and it shows Hunt going around Carousell as Lauda leaves the pits. Haha, thank god I didn't drop the money to see this garbage in the theater. Ron Howard was so proud of the accuracy of Apollo 13, using the original training modules, blah blah. Just says fuck it because it is race cars, vroom vroom the audience is stupid they won't know.

I really enjoyed the movie, but if I had one big complaint it would be they really should have hired pros to drive the cars at speed. Everything was fake-fast, and it was really jarring to the trained eye. There must be some serious technical challenges that come with that since it would be cheaper and better looking to just film people giving it the beans.

ramparter

Banned
I felt that too, still I enjoyed the movie and I would never put it along with Driven & FF. I don't think the point was to be realistic in terms of actual racing but rather give you the feeling in and out of the race.

muteki

The movie had its high's and low's, but yes the racing aspect itself and track accuracy were not very good at all. Everything was quick close cuts so that it wouldn't be obvious they weren't racing where they were supposed to be.

I felt that too, still I enjoyed the movie and I would never put it along with Driven & FF. I don't think the point was to be realistic in terms of actual racing but rather give you the feeling in and out of the race.

The story and character interactions are obviously better than FF or Driven, but when it came to the action scenes, my jaw dropped with how trite they were. I cannot believe that is what Ron Howard decided on. Has he not seen any other "racing" movie or car chase in the last three decades? It was so cliched and was such a turn off for me. I swear to fucking god, every director thinks that shifting and stepping on the gas pedal is the secret sauce for all racing speed. I would love to see the same editing put to modern F1, they would be going insanely fast but the lame editing would show a foot staying all the way down and only a finger or two clicking a paddle.

I don't know why he didn't go for more authentic footage. Look at the 1966 movie Grand Prix. They had no problem strapping on massive old cameras to those cars for some amazing footage. With all of the insanely small ultra quality cameras out there, there is no excuse.

Honda's deal with McLaren is worth 100m per season according to amus.

- Free engines
- 50m
- Driver salaries

Starting from 2014.

They also say McLaren & Lotus are in negotiations over Sony PlayStation title sponsorship deal.

Xun

They have Nigel Mansell's 1987 Williams F1 car in the Getty Images gallery in London.

Beautiful, beautiful thing.

Dilly

Banned
1795559_597982960283036_619486073_n.jpg
Lewis Hamilton
Liked · 16 minutes ago

Money!! #tyson #trapstarhttp://instagram.com/p/kDL0lTr09F/

I shouldn't keep posting these, but I just can not resist.

Top Bottom