• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013-2014 Off-Season |OT| Powered by 1.6L V6 Turbo

Xun

Would be hilarious if Vettel won his 5th world championship because of double points in the last race after the car being bad for the first half of the season.
It'll probably happen, sadly.

I still can't get over the fact it was approved in the first place.

Leunam

Wow, so it really is the Renault package and not the individual cars. They've sorted out issues in the past pretty easily but given this is a whole new package I wonder if this may affect the early season.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Wow, so it really is the Renault package and not the individual cars. They've sorted out issues in the past pretty easily but given this is a whole new package I wonder if this may affect the early season.

Well, according to Renault yeah, the whole package is bad currently, but RBR's problems are worse than the other teams with the same engine as they mounted the turbo and ERS in a way that Renault claimed was inadvisable.

From earlier in the thread:

Renault blaming RBR for their own problems.
They have installed the ERS and turbo outside Renault's recommended positioning in the car.

Leunam

Well damn.

I have faith that RBR know their shit, but going against what Renault themselves advise brings up questions.

Dead Man

I dunno, the more I hear them, the more I resent FIA for taking away that high pitched shrieking sound that was part of the spectacle of F1. Im glad were not at four cylinder engines (yet), the utter nerve of FIA to try and ram that down everyone's throat.

So, everyone remembers that in the late 80's turbo V6's of 1.5l capacity dominated for a couple years, right? There were even a few inline 4 cylinder designs that did well.

The problem I have with the engine regs is how narrowly they specify the design of the engine. Obviously those teams with road cars to sell won't be happy unless the engines can be used to promote their cars. Renault and Ferrari have vastly different line ups of cars. Just give the capacity and induction method and let the teams go.

Chris R

I dunno, the more I hear them, the more I resent FIA for taking away that high pitched shrieking sound that was part of the spectacle of F1. Im glad were not at four cylinder engines (yet), the utter nerve of FIA to try and ram that down everyone's throat.

I don't know... those sound alright to me. And if I could watch a race without needing ear protection I'd be thrilled. Those suckers were LOUD even from 100 feet away in Texas.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
A shame, but he deserves an enjoyable retirement.

His entry into the hall of fame was also well deserved, I mean to go from mechanic to key strategist to championship winning team owner is not something everyone can claim over their career.

Enjoy your fishing Ross!

Once it was announced that McLaren were moving to the management structure they were, with Boullier as racing director I kind of figured that Brawn was not going to be the new principle as such a set-up was pretty much what drove him from Mercedes. The question now is who is going to take that position, Sam Michael?

ramparter

Banned
At least there two things I'm excited about the new season:
- Performance reshuffle, I expect the first races at least will be really random
- Battle between Nando and Kimi

TCRS

Banned
Alonso throwing the team under bus and quoting samurai's halfway through the season?

lindsay-lohan-spits-ou4o00.gif

that was embarassing. not as bad a hamilton though.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ferrari solved wind tunnel correlation problems according to Autosport.

Mercedes posted interview with Paddy Lowe and in one of the paragraphs he explains how much stricter are rules for windtunnel use this season.

dubc35

Surprised Germany dropped, due to Schumi leaving probably.

I would expect Japan and Russia to go up this year with Koba back and Kvyat starting out (and GP in Russia).

acm2000

blamed on vettel? really?

not the move to subscription based channels across the world or putting up the price of ones that were already there? nope, not at all

not the move to subscription based channels across the world or putting up the price of ones that were already there? nope, not at all

For me it was combination of both. I hated it but I paid for it for a couple of months, but after the mid-season break and Vettel did his thing again I quit. Not worth my money that way.

AndyD

aka andydumi
For me it was combination of both. I hated it but I paid for it for a couple of months, but after the mid-season break and Vettel did his thing again I quit. Not worth my money that way.

Indeed. It is not personal to Vettel, it is something that also happened in the Schumacher era. Having one overly dominant team/driver ruins the season.

Indeed. I didn't end up watching any of the subscription ones, so that's basically one viewer gone for half of the races.

Lach

Schumi actually let me lose my interest (which wasn't that great honestly) in his dominating phase. I only got caught again in 2009 when I started watching on the BBC....

Last season was just so....I don't even know...There were some great races...I'm not even only interested in competition for the win! I enjoyed the hell out of Hulk's race in Korea.

I don't know what I hope from this season but what I am expecting is more drama because of chance and unreliability. Which is always entertaining. I don't know if the racing itself is going to be better.

Fisico

Yup

Although some major markets - including China and France

Perfect example, audience probably went from something like 5-6 millions to probably somewhere around ~1 million because of that

Top Bottom