• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013-2014 Off-Season |OT| Powered by 1.6L V6 Turbo

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Just posting to say holy shit the new cars sound awful!!
So glad I got to experience an authentic F1 sound when I went to the Singapore GP last year.

The cars will sound better by the start of the season right guys? Right?

Nicktendo86

Just posting to say holy shit the new cars sound awful!!
So glad I got to experience an authentic F1 sound when I went to the Singapore GP last year.

The cars will sound better by the start of the season right guys? Right?

Well no engine has been turned up to full revs yet and we are yet to hear all cars going round at the same time. Personally, I like it. Never got on with the whine of the v8's and I love hearing the turbo spin, I dunno sounds different but still nice to me.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Well no engine has been turned up to full revs yet and we are yet to hear all cars going round at the same time. Personally, I like it. Never got on with the whine of the v8's and I love hearing the turbo spin, I dunno sounds different but still nice to me.
Yeah watching a few more videos I am coming around a bit. The huge turbo sound is pretty cool haha.

1 hour, 12 laps each, use whatever tires you want. Anything else will forever be nonsense to me.

When those were the rules very few teams went out in the first 20-30 minutes of qualifying, unless the conditions were wet. You also ended up with bottle-necks right at the end of the session when everyone was trying to set a time.

I'm happy with any format that encourages all ten Q3 runners to set a meaningful time. Either making it the Q2 tires that they are forced to start the race in, or providing an extra set of special qualifying tires for the final session are fine with me.

AndyD

aka andydumi
When those were the rules very few teams went out in the first 20-30 minutes of qualifying, unless the conditions were wet. You also ended up with bottle-necks right at the end of the session when everyone was trying to set a time.

I'm happy with any format that encourages all ten Q3 runners to set a meaningful time. Either making it the Q2 tires that they are forced to start the race in, or providing an extra set of special qualifying tires for the final session are fine with me.

How about: if a car does not set a Q3 time, their best Q2 +.5 second time will be used to place them on the grid within the top 17. This would give Q2 teams a chance to advance into top 10 if a Q3 team wants to be screwy with tires.

Deadman

System is perfect as it is now imo. If people choose not to run then its nice that we have different strategies. Forcing everyone to one strategy is less interesting. And lets be honest last year it was basically only 2 or 3 max that did it each time, the rest still tried for pole.

DBT85

Why not just mandate that the tyres you qualify on (whole grid) must be USED in the race, but you can start on whatever you like.

Addnan

UAa2456.jpg

I need to see how far one end of the nose sticks out before I make my judgement, but I like the thought of the pronged nose.

Also loving the stealth autosport copy :)

ramparter

Banned
My only problem now is the specific rules for Q1. Why? Qualifying should have nothing to with racing. Drivers should run on near-empty fuel and use whatever tires they want.

At least we got rid of the ridiculous one-lap per driver system during 2003-2005

How fucking dumb is the FIA? Seriously, they can't figure out how to make Q3 exciting? It is simple. Reserve sets of tires for just Q3 and put some points on the line for pole position. Piece of cake. I swear Formula One is run by brain dead inbreds.

Mastah

This is at the heart of Renault's problems, with sources saying the company is at least two months behind schedule on its power-unit.

Renault were unable to run their turbo at even 50% boost in Jerez, and nor were they able to get the energy-storage system to run at anywhere near full capacity. They are also suffering severe vibrations in the drive-train, which show up in the car but not on the test bed.

Renault are trying some fixes for some of the problems at a 'filming day' with the Lotus team in Jerez on Friday - teams are allowed to run for no more than 100km on a test designated as for promotional work.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/26084505

Nicktendo86

Daaaammmmmnnn, don't know if anyone is on the autosport forums but a lot of people have been saying 'yeah yeah Renault will fix it easy and Red Bull will dominate', not goingt o happen by the looks of it. Renault have fucked this up big time.

Honda, please be taking notes on how not to build a 2014 spec engine...

cmr-94

How fucking dumb is the FIA? Seriously, they can't figure out how to make Q3 exciting? It is simple. Reserve sets of tires for just Q3 and put some points on the line for pole position. Piece of cake. I swear Formula One is run by brain dead inbreds.

Don't think points for pole is necessary. The fastest of the Q3 runners always go out. It's the 6-10 slots that are the problem area

so the Merc engine has a 90 bhp advantage over Renault? will be interesting to see if they can make use of that power advantage without wrecking the tyres.

No, AMUS and BBC are shit houses.

No team will publish exact figures, but thermal efficiency is king. The old V8 had an efficiency of 30%, we want to reach 40% with the new engines.

Let's do the following estimation: 30 years ago with 1,5l displacement, at 5bar turbo pressure and 200kg/h fuel you could achieve peak powers of 1400hp. With half the fuel flow allowed in 2014 the ICE alone should make 700hp?

Cowell: Yes, that's how you can estimate

Somebody on F1 technical worked out the Mercedes has an estimated 634bhp based on these figures.

Renault has around 610bhp according to Renault.

La Stampa (Italian media) said the Ferrari has around 650bhp, it's probably in the same ball park as the Mercedes. So like the V8 era the Renault is about 20-30bhp down on the others.

Nasr to replace Wolff as Williams reserve driver?

Brazilian media says his contract includes nine Friday practice sessions during the 2014 season, hopefully The Bott doesn't get the shaft.

Top Bottom