• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013-2014 Off-Season |OT| Powered by 1.6L V6 Turbo

mclem

I feel obliged to share a tweet:

FIA announce that, starting next season, every race win will be worth an extra five seconds of time inside the crystal dome. #F1

I'd go for that.

I'd be surprised if most of them don't eventually. Only really benefits one of the lower teams getting crazy lucky on the last day, and even then it could make all of their efforts over the season basically worthless.

Zeppu

I'd be surprised if most of them don't eventually. Only really benefits one of the lower teams getting crazy lucky on the last day, and even then it could make all of their efforts over the season basically worthless.

It would've been to Ferrari's advantage the last two years. Alonso WDC 2012 and 2nd Constructor's 2013.

Yes, but as those rules weren't in place we can't say it would have shaken down that way anyway. Drivers and teams would have prioritised differently.

Dumb luck though, that can happen to anyone, one way or another.

Drivers drinking a shot each lap should get 1.5 times the points they achieve.

Make them earn it with different achievements.

Drive drunk - 1.5x the points
Drive one handed - 2x the points
Drive the entire race backwards - 3x the points.
Drive blindfolded - 5x the points
Win the race on foot - 10x the points

Zeppu

Yes, but as those rules weren't in place we can't say it would have shaken down that way anyway. Drivers and teams would have prioritised differently.

I know I know. I just enjoy the thought of LdM going up and proposing this exactly for that reason.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Make them earn it with different achievements.

Drive drunk - 1.5x the points
Drive one handed - 2x the points
Drive the entire race backwards - 3x the points.
Drive blindfolded - 5x the points
Win the race on foot - 10x the points

They could have Maldonado randomly be your teammate for a race. That would be awesome.

They could have Maldonado randomly be your teammate for a race. That would be awesome.

Or make him a wild card. During a lap voted for by the fans at home* Maldonado gets a free pass to knock out as many cars as he possible can, being awarded 1 point per car damaged, 2 points when he knocks them out of the race.

*$0.99 per vote

Zeppu

If you maintain fastest lap for 10 laps you get to choose another driver which must fit your used tyres.
If you manage to get the gap to the driver behind you between 0.450s-0.550s at the DRS detection zone, then the DRS bonus will not be awarded to your opponent.
If your official driver number (or a digit of) matches your finishing position you get an additional 5 points.

DD

It seems that Williams has got two aero guys, one from Red Bull and the other from Lotus. Well played, Felipe!

I think everyone should drop the pitchforks, no one knows how it will turn out.
In fact it could be a good thing, it will definitely make an interesting race, even if the purists disagree.
It will be a highly contested event, more than likely it will put some dark horses back in the hunt and has the possibility of making the championship final very interesting. As was said above race priorities will change for it.

Points value have changed before and it didnt ruin the racing, lets see how this turns out.

Hasney

I'm sure if they made the final race have ramps on the start/finish line it would make for interesting race, but it wouldn't stop the sport from being a farce. Feels like there's no point watching the season until the last race since they've designated it the only one that matters.

Points values have changed, but every race was the same still. This changes everything.

Isnt that a very stupid thing to say? The final race doesnt eclipse the previous 18, in fact the previous races shape it.
Surely what we had this year was far worse, a conclusion far from the end.

I think everyone should drop the pitchforks, no one knows how it will turn out.
In fact it could be a good thing, it will definitely make an interesting race, even if the purists disagree.
It will be a highly contested event, more than likely it will put some dark horses back in the hunt and has the possibility of making the championship final very interesting. As was said above race priorities will change for it.

Points value have changed before and it didnt ruin the racing, lets see how this turns out.

Points values across the board have changed, but giving double points for a race that requires no extra skill or effort, just because it is the last race of the season, makes a mockery of the championship. Formula One is becoming a parade of gimmicks. NASCAR-style, engineered late-race restarts are surely not far away.

I disagree, I am keeping an open mind on this. The championship isnt destroyed because of one race, you still need to fight a full campaign and get yourself in a position to win it all.
This just ups the stakes at the end.

Lets see how it works out.

Hasney

Don't worry, guys. We won't actually end up at Abu Dhabi with double points being awarded.

Probably. Bernie just said he'd do it for those extra Abu Dhabi Dollars so their race was "special", then will back out due to the backlash and walk away with extra publicity with Bernie looking like even more of a fool... A role he does not mind playing in the slightest as it deflects the eat away from the sport that makes him money directly onto him.

On the double points system.

Kimi would've been the WDC in 2003. And Alonso in 2012

I kinda like the outcome.. Bring on the double points system

1465155_10152053030136140_898766054_n.jpg

acm2000

On the double points system.

Kimi would've been the WDC in 2003. And Alonso in 2012

I kinda like the outcome.. Bring on the double points system

1465155_10152053030136140_898766054_n.jpg

you dont see the flaw tho? it only actually changes things in seasons where it was actually close to the last race anyway, thus not needed in the first place

Oh god, I'd completely forgotten about that. Glorious.

Edit: Wait, double points for the last race? WTF is that supposed to mean?!? The only rule that should ever be instated re: points tinkering is dropping your worst two races or whatever like they had 30 years ago. Double points at Abu Dhabi is a fucking disgrace.

Driver numbers: Who'll be first to pick "69"? I bet Webber would have if Alonso didn't, because he's a boss.

WEC is looking more and more appealing next year. We'll have this:

This:

and obviously this:
I feel so sorry for Toyota, they try hard and come so close only to fail every time, they have no chance against Porsche AND Audi but id love to be wrong. Wish Nissan Mercedes Jaguar Peugeot and Mazda came back bring back the prototype glory days

Top Bottom