• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013-2014 Off-Season |OT| Powered by 1.6L V6 Turbo

In theory a playoff-system in motor sports does not have to be a bad thing. Or some sort of grand slam with more than one race counting more points wouldn't necessarily have to be bad.

Agreed, although in practice I think it's probably unworkable for modern F1. Ideally the tracks would be chosen on the challenge they offer, a challenge that's largely different for each track. For example, Monaco, Silverstone, Spa, Canada.

But recently the engineering tricks that have been utilised to gain an advantage have been just as effective regardless what the track is, so all you're really doing is making it easier to run away with the championship in these cases. And there's nothing inherently wrong or 'broken' with the concept of all races having equal merit, so why even risk unbalancing the sport any further when there's so many obvious flaws that need already need fixing?

And in the Abu Dhabi example, it's just one race, and it's for no reason other than money. The race isn't longer, the track isn't more challenging or even liked that much within the paddock (not that it really matters where the last race is held in this case), so why should it be worth as much as two wins elsewhere?

Shaneus

For the 2015 season drivers will have to choose a nickname and persona, and they must stay in character for all official sessions.

Featuring Fernando "El Lobo" Alonso.
Oh god, I'd completely forgotten about that. Glorious.

Edit: Wait, double points for the last race? WTF is that supposed to mean?!? The only rule that should ever be instated re: points tinkering is dropping your worst two races or whatever like they had 30 years ago. Double points at Abu Dhabi is a fucking disgrace.

Driver numbers: Who'll be first to pick "69"? I bet Webber would have if Alonso didn't, because he's a boss.

WEC is looking more and more appealing next year. We'll have this:
PNFWxzo.jpg

This:

and obviously this:

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Edit: Wait, double points for the last race? WTF is that supposed to mean?!? The only rule that should ever be instated re: points tinkering is dropping your worst two races or whatever like they had 30 years ago. Double points at Abu Dhabi is a fucking disgrace.

Driver numbers: Who'll be first to pick "69"? I bet Webber would have if Alonso didn't, because he's a boss.

This:

and obviously this:

Looks good, if only I had a way to watch it.

moojito

Well there we go, it's clear you don't care for F1

So instead of you sharing your own opinion on why it's a bad idea (if you have one), you instead try to tell me what I do and don't care about? Sorry, no. You don't get to make that decision.

For me it's ridiculous because you're likely to encourage teams to go safe for a bunch of races before just so that they have a fresh engine and gearbox for the last race. Not to mention teams wasting money to develop a massively specific package for that race.

More than that though, I don't want to see someone lose the title just because they had bad luck on that particular day.

(That's without getting into the whole team tactic thing. 50 points could well make it worth doing backroom deals.)

This here is fine. At least some kind of thought has gone into it! Although I'll be honest, I would find shady team tactics and collusion awesome. Domenicali storming over to the Lotus pit wall area and punching Boullier right in the face because he got Maldonado to run Kimi off the road? Hell yes :D

Chris R

Why bother trying to fix the rules for all the races, just hope and pray someone is close enough to seb for the final race to mean anything! Great job FIA.

Shaneus

WRC is still trying to figure out how to optimize for Netscape browsers.

Seriously though, WEC will be my exclusive series if the penis noses come to fruition. #smh
Webber's plan is falling into place. Leave F1, watch all the fans follow him to WEC while F1 slowly fucks itself into oblivion.

Haha, shame the WRC is a clusterfuck.
Has it not improved since the Red Bull thing? Or is that next season?

pants

So instead of you sharing your own opinion on why it's a bad idea (if you have one), you instead try to tell me what I do and don't care about? Sorry, no. You don't get to make that decision.
Because it's a fucking sport. You dont give 6 points for beating ManU then 2 points for beating Liverpool. Fucks sake dude.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
They should multiply points at any race, multiplication factor would be the same as the number of the race is on the calendar. x19 points on the last race!

Dilly

Banned

This:

and obviously this:

Join the WEC side, we have cookies.

Staab

goddamn this double points thing is retarded...
Might as well just call it the "please tune into the last race even if the championship is done by the 15th race!" and make it so the points available for first place are (Current number 1 - current number 2) +1, WHAT A TWIST ! THE CHAMPION CAN CHANGE AT ANY TIME !

Addnan

I follow WEC when I can, but there are like only 8 races per year. You miss one because of a timing clash and there's nothing for another month.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Feels like F1 is becoming more of a game show. Might as well give everyone buzzers for the podium interview.

I really don't see how it's a good idea to give out more points for doing the same thing in a sport. A win should be a win, no matter where you win.

TCRS

Banned
I follow WEC when I can, but there are like only 8 races per year. You miss one because of a timing clash and there's nothing for another month.

Seriously. But I do watch the 24h of Le Mans. Night time racing is amazing, especially at those speeds.

Lach

yeah...that double points is stupid! Rather have the one point for pole.

This last minute test is coming this month stupid too...Not all teams have the money to be this flexible!

April 1.? Nah just the FIA guys turning a prestigious racing series into a joke one step at a time. There could have been points for pole position, fastest lap or even who handles resources (fuel, tires, ...) the best but not because of the last race.

operon

The drivers should have random power up on track and the ability to shoot their opponents. Or you could text in to give random drivers a kers boost or to get a puncture.

F1 is turning into a complete joke

Deadman

In 2017 they will bring in a script writer to ensure the season is as entertaining as possible. Failure to follow the script will result in a 1 race episode ban.

The drivers should have random power up on track and the ability to shoot their opponents. Or you could text in to give random drivers a kers boost or to get a puncture.

F1 is turning into a complete joke

Let's do that internet vote thing like the Formula E!

Have he people decide! VOTE NOW TO BLOW UP ONE DRIVER HIS ENGINE! VOTE NOW FOR AN EXTRA KERS BOOST FOR YOUR TEAM! VOTE NOW FOR RAIN!

F1 really is dead, I'm not even joking anymore.

mclem

Clearly everyone should have a joker they could play before qualification to get double points on that race.

(Actually, now I *say* that... that could be quite interesting in terms of weighing up "Win" vs. "Prevent driver X from maximising their points")

mclem

They should multiply points at any race, multiplication factor would be the same as the number of the race is on the calendar. x19 points on the last race!

There's a German gameshow that effectively does this (First round worth 1 point, second round worth two, up to round fifteen worth fifteen). It's actually quite effective in ratcheting up the tension while always giving the players a chance.

Hammer24

Banned
Didn´t most drivers get significantly slower when they became a first time dad? I think I remember seeing a stat saying that.

Road

I think each race they should make a draw and award a random driver with extra 10 points.

Can you imagine how exciting F1 would be??!!

NHale

I think each race they should make a draw and award a random driver with extra 10 points.

Can you imagine how exciting F1 would be??!!

Or just make a draw and force a driver to do a GP on reverse. Let's go wild with this considering FIA is taking any silly suggestion under serious consideration apparently.

Top Bottom