• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

I see. So Pirelli also supplies the teams with scale tires for their wind tunnel testing. And apparently those had a relatively slippery surface that the real tires don't have (or perhaps have but lose quickly when they make contact with the road).

More like the shape of the tire under load is not what they expected. If they fixed it using "active undercarriage systems for the wind tunnel" (I'm guessing what exactly that means here), the squashed shape while turning, bouncing, or perhaps even on a cambered surface is not what they anticipated.

Speaking of camber, I wonder if Lotus' "active undercarriage, which enables them to be so tyre conserving" is some kind of active camber system to reduce contact patch on the straights. Just a wild guess.

cmr-94

Lewis Hamilton interview

Q: Your lapse in Malaysia when trying to pit at the wrong team caused much laughter. But in reality, how much contact do you still have with McLaren? You’ve grown up with them so a new contract can hardly cut off such deep roots…
LH: I went to see them in Australia. But I also tried to see them in Jerez, at the test, and there Sam Michael threw me out of the garage. That wasn’t very positive and I don’t feel very good about that. Martin (Whitmarsh) has been great and I have to say that I haven’t had enough contact, so I will give Martin a call.
Formula1.com

That's not very nice - it's not like there is anything worth stealing

Shaneus

Yeah, that comes off as a bit shit. I wonder if that would've happened if McLaren weren't doing so shit this year?

Merc are ahead of them in the contstructors, yes?

f0rk

Went to the Mercedes factory for an interview today. Didn't see much apart from a car (2012 I think) and Hamilton's trophy from Sunday in reception. Interview went OK, I really messed up questions on describing what I've done in some maths modules at uni and it took me awhile to give the answer they wanted about how to approach projects but not sure if they were fussed.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Went to the Mercedes factory for an interview today. Didn't see much apart from a car (2012 I think) and Hamilton's trophy from Sunday in reception. Interview went OK, I really messed up questions on describing what I've done in some maths modules at uni and it took me awhile to give the answer they wanted about how to approach projects but not sure if they were fussed.

good luck :)

f0rk

good luck :)

Thanks, I'm having an awful time deciding what to do if I get accepted though. I've already accepted an offer from a big 4 consultancy (not signed though) and, while it's probably sacrilege in this thread, there are things that make me want to stay with that job. But that makes me feel bad because working for an F1 team is a dream job for a lot of people. I might make a seperate thread tomorrow because it's eating me up despite not even knowing if I have to make the decision and I can't focus on my school work.

Shaneus

Yeah, it must be a tough one. But you have to think about looking back on this in 10 years time. Would you rather say "I'm glad I got this really secure, high-paying job" or "I can't believe I actually worked for McLaren F1". I have a feeling there's only one of those you'd be kicking yourself over in the future for missing ;)

Got my grand stand tickets.. I'm only going for the race so if anyone wants my pass for today and Saturday please let me know.

Bahrain's weather is fantastic, light showers and not as hot as usual

And things are certainly calmer than last year

Welcome back Kova
ibe2T3ntG27xHi.png

btw its drizzling on and off.. very unusual for Bahrain weather. Everyone is joking that God is on the govt's side and supporting the F1 lol

Addnan

Is Anthony Davidson on Sky paid by these shit tracks to say how amazing they are? He more often than not loves these crappy tracks.

Shaneus

GVGZVNQ.jpg

Zain is a Vodafone partner in the middle east, so it's just for this race. Just like the Verizon branding during the US GP (Verizon is a Vodafone daughter)
If Perez is involved in an accident or drives a shit race this weekend, we can say "Perez is in Zain!".

lulz

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I do not know what Mercedes were doing, but do not look competitve on this track at all

it should be easy one for Alonso for sure

I expect Alonso on the podium, but I don't think he'll win. He doesn't think they're that competitive either.

But asked if he felt Ferrari was now the benchmark, Alonso replied: "I don't think so. We still do not have the advantage or the car that people try to see now after one victory.

"In Australia we were clearly not the quickest, in Malaysia we were struggling a little bit, especially in qualifying where we were not so good, and in the race Felipe [Massa] was fifth, so it is not that [Vettel] was dominant in the race.

"Then in China, [Red Bull] chose a strange strategy on Saturday and it compromised the race a little bit.

"So I think we need to keep improving and we need to be a little bit faster. There are some new pieces coming for this race, we have some new components coming for Barcelona and Monaco, so I hope over the next month or month and a half we can be at the level of the other cars."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106853

Zeknurn

Alonso isn't known for talking up his cars, I imagine because it makes him look so much better when he goes and wins in one. ;)

Pretty much.

I expect it to be a three way race between Räikkönen, Alonso and Vettel as long as no one screws up.

Don't forget GPPredictor btw.

Omiee

I expect Alonso on the podium, but I don't think he'll win. He doesn't think they're that competitive either.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106853

Ferrari looks strong this year

Are they strong or are they not.

I think they are. They have reliability and they have the pace. They can win this GP and win the constructors if massa keeps going like this.

RBR lost valuable points last week with webber dropping out. They cant afford to lose many more since web will probably not be that motivated anymore after he sighns with porche i guess.

Foshy

Made my predictions for the race, I don't have a particularly good feeling about them though. Probably won't be good enough to reclaim first place.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm happy I won't have to wait until the replay is on TV over here. It takes a lot of willpower to avoid any places on the internet that may have the race results. I'm hoping Kimi will do well again.

Anyone have any of the long run times / stint lap counts for P2? I hate that sites are so obsessed with the headline times that they hardly mention the indications of race pace.

jey_16

Banned
i cant believe Pirelli would change the tyre compounds? Surely the cars have been designed for the tyres as they were at the start of the year. If Red Bull cant figure them out, that's their problem but teams like Lotus wouldn't want them to change

Top Bottom