• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Dilly

Banned
I hope Van Der Garde gets booted and Heikki gets his seat again, then again that will probably not happen because VDG is a rich boy.

I really used to like Caterham, except for this year.

At least Webber is not ugly.

Depends from which angle you're seeing him.

Kova returned to Caterham as a reserve. Might take part of the Friday practice in order to benchmark the new Caterham against last year's

They should've have gotten rid of him

BTW I took a round using my friend's bicycle in the nearby villages in Bahrain and things look much easier and calmer than last year. I'll pist some pics later

Hammer24

Banned
Radio Pitlane:
WEB has a three (not five) year contract negotiated with Porsche for next year. Its done, but not signed, which is planned in Summer.

Tyres:
If these play too much of a role, how comes the top drivers still end up on top all the time? All races this year have been won by F1 Champs, and in China all five still driving even ended up on #1 to #5.

More stats:
- 31st win for ALO, this is now as many as Mansell, only three drivers ever have more (Schumacher, Prost, Senna)
- ALO is the only F1 pilot to finish all 560 laps of China GP´s
- ALO won in his 200th F1 race in China - he was also able to win his 100th (Italy 2007)
- five different drivers have now won the last five GP´s (going back to last season) - all Champs btw: HAM, BUT, RAI, VET, ALO
- Ricciardo finished a career best #7, he finished #9 four times before
- thanks to DIR #8, FI has now the first points ever in a China GP
- HAM is the first British driver since Stirling Moss 1955 (GP England in Aintree) to get pole on a pure Merc
- first first row start for RAI since his comeback (Monaco 2009)
- RAI now got points in 20 consecutive races (China 2012), he could get MSC record of 24 races in Canada
- MAS last four race finishes: #3, #4, #5, #6
- BUT last five China finishes: #3, #1, #4, #2, #5
- China saw six different race leaders
- Hulk is already the 10th pilot this year to get race lead laps
- race lead lap leaders thus far: ALO 37, VET 33, WEB 32, RAI 27, SUT 11, HAM 8, HUL 8, BUT 8, MAS 4, ROS 2
- counting Coulthard doing the interview, there have been four former MCL pilots on the podium
- it was PER 10th #11 finish - in 40 races (25%). BTW he never finished #12.
- in China all five rookies were under the first six pilots to end their day after Q1
- no rookie has been able to get a point this season yet
- this years China GP was only 0.016sec longer than last years race
- thanks to WEB DNF, LOT now the only team to get points with both drivers in every race this season

- counting Coulthard doing the interview, there have been four former MCL pilots on the podium

hehe nice one

Kimi was given wrong clutch data for the start in China?!! What does that mean?

Lotus
Race: Raikkonen
Season: Kimi Raikkonen 2 - Romain Grosjean 1

Three races and three E21s returned to the garage intact, Romain is on a roll. Raikkonen adjusted to his own front-end modifications brilliantly but it’s hard to know whether he could have won. Certainly he would have stood a much better chance of winning had he not been given the wrong clutch data for the start and dropped back to P4 on Lap 1. However the funniest bit of the whole weekend was the god-like adulation bestowed on him after the race - he had to use a human shield of Lotus mechanics to get him out of the Lotus HQ and back to his hotel. He IS the new Justin Bieber of F1.

That explains the apology on team radio after the race then! "Sorry about the start"

Caterham F1 Team has announced that it is restructuring its driver line-up with Heikki Kovalainen rejoining the team as one of the two Reserve Drivers, alongside current Reserve Driver Alexander Rossi who moves to Caterham Racing to compete in the 2013 GP2 Championship in the car raced by Ma Qing Hua at the season opening GP2 race in Malaysia.

Ma Qing Hua, who recently made history by becoming the first Chinese racing driver to take part in an F1 race weekend in China, remains a core member of Caterham F1 Team's driver roster and an announcement about his revised race plans in 2013 will be made in due course.

Heikki's first duties will be to take part in FP1 at the forthcoming Grands Prix in Bahrain and Spain. The Finnish driver will take part in the sessions as part of a formal technical development role he is taking up with Caterham F1 Team, helping support the introduction of the first performance updates to the 2013 car, an important milestone in the strategy the team are working to in the current season.

Cyril Abiteboul, Team Principal, Caterham F1 Team: "After Ma's successful run in FP1 in China a number of new opportunities have arisen for him and we have decided to restructure our current line-up. Alexander moves to Caterham Racing to compete in GP2 and I am sure he will be an immediate success in that championship whilst he will continue to enjoy the link with the F1 team throughout the season. Heikki returns to track work with us and we are delighted to welcome him back into the team. He has six years of F1 experience behind him so he is perfectly placed to provide us objective feedback on the various types of configurations we will run and to give us an objective view of the 2013 tyres against his experience with the 2012 compounds. Having invested in Heikki for our first three years of competition it would be a waste not to leverage the valuable expertise he brings. As F1 is a team sport, he will also provide support to Charles Pic and Giedo van der Garde, who are both doing a good job in their first months with the team."

Heikki Kovalainen: "It's obviously great news that I'll be on track in Bahrain and Spain and I'm really looking forward to getting back to work and helping the team as much as I can. I'll be taking part in the two FP1 sessions in Bahrain and Barcelona to give the team my input on the new parts we're bringing to those races, and I'll be working closely with the race drivers and the engineers on track and back at Leafield to help everyone get the most out of the new package.

"Tony, Cyril and I have been talking about me taking up this role for quite a while, so it's good to finally be able to announce how I'll be helping the team in 2013. I'm physically ready to get back into the car and I know my experience can help give the team new ideas and options for directions to take on setup and strategy. I'm looking forward to getting back to work!"

McLaren updates for Barcelona:

-Front & Rear wing
-Sidepods
-Deflectors
-Exhaust
-Floor
-Engine cover

Nose will stay high and they'll keep the pullrod suspension.

The Chinese GP update was not tested in the wind tunnel due to the major update hogging it. Pirelli wind tunnel tyres also caused Mclaren grief. Fuck Pirelli!

ramparter

Banned
However the funniest bit of the whole weekend was the god-like adulation bestowed on him after the race - he had to use a human shield of Lotus mechanics to get him out of the Lotus HQ and back to his hotel. He IS the new Justin Bieber of F1.
Poor Kimi, he is the last F1 driver that would ever like to be treated like a star.

Leunam

F1 Champions test. I managed to get 54/62 after five minutes before giving up. Was kicking myself after revealing the answers since I should have known all of them except for one which I never would have gotten.

Poor Kimi, he is the last F1 driver that would ever like to be treated like a star.

Oh please, I'm pretty sure he loves the hype and attention and so does his PR team and Lotus. Everything that comes out of his mouth is free money for them ("omg, how funny, guyz! And pre-orders for the [shit Kimi said 5 seconds ago] t-shirt start now!")

Oh please, I'm pretty sure he loves the hype and attention and so does his PR team and Lotus. Everything that comes out of his mouth is free money for them ("omg, how funny, guyz! And pre-orders for the [shit Kimi said 5 seconds ago] t-shirt start now!")

Well of course Lotus loves the attention but not sure why you think kimi does. Biggest reason he switched to rally for two years was that he grew tired to the media circus of F1.

Radio Pitlane:
WEB has a three (not five) year contract negotiated with Porsche for next year. Its done, but not signed, which is planned in Summer.

Tyres:
If these play too much of a role, how comes the top drivers still end up on top all the time? All races this year have been won by F1 Champs, and in China all five still driving even ended up on #1 to #5.

More stats:
- 31st win for ALO, this is now as many as Mansell, only three drivers ever have more (Schumacher, Prost, Senna)
- ALO is the only F1 pilot to finish all 560 laps of China GP´s
- ALO won in his 200th F1 race in China - he was also able to win his 100th (Italy 2007)
- five different drivers have now won the last five GP´s (going back to last season) - all Champs btw: HAM, BUT, RAI, VET, ALO
- Ricciardo finished a career best #7, he finished #9 four times before
- thanks to DIR #8, FI has now the first points ever in a China GP
- HAM is the first British driver since Stirling Moss 1955 (GP England in Aintree) to get pole on a pure Merc
- first first row start for RAI since his comeback (Monaco 2009)
- RAI now got points in 20 consecutive races (China 2012), he could get MSC record of 24 races in Canada
- MAS last four race finishes: #3, #4, #5, #6
- BUT last five China finishes: #3, #1, #4, #2, #5
- China saw six different race leaders
- Hulk is already the 10th pilot this year to get race lead laps
- race lead lap leaders thus far: ALO 37, VET 33, WEB 32, RAI 27, SUT 11, HAM 8, HUL 8, BUT 8, MAS 4, ROS 2
- it was PER 10th #11 finish - in 40 races (25%). BTW he never finished #12.
- in China all five rookies were under the first six pilots to end their day after Q1
- no rookie has been able to get a point this season yet
- this years China GP was only 0.016sec longer than last years race
- thanks to WEB DNF, LOT now the only team to get points with both drivers in every race this season

Awesome once again.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
F1 Champions test. I managed to get 54/62 after five minutes before giving up. Was kicking myself after revealing the answers since I should have known all of them except for one which I never would have gotten.

Gah, 52 of 62. Some I had the face just couldn't bring up the names. I missed
Brabham, Scheckter, Jones, Fittipaldi, Ridnt, Surtees and Hulme

Ark

57/62.

Missed
Ascari (shocked I missed him), Farina, Hulme, Scheckter, Surtees (shocked I missed him also)

Well of course Lotus loves the attention but not sure why you think kimi does. Biggest reason he switched to rally for two years was that he grew tired to the media circus of F1.

And yet he's doing the silly videos for his team. But you're right, I also should've mentioned the money he gets from it.

Fantomex

Man I need to join one of these leagues, but then that takes the fun out of the race since all you worry about is points
LLShC.gif

Business

51, Missed
Farina, Ascari, Hawthorn, Phil Hill, Brabham, Hulmer, Scheckter and Jones.

The period I lived and remember (until mid eighties) I could basically fill it in order real quick. The rest were 9:30 minutes of remembering great names of the sport but to be fair I couldn't have guessed the exact year of any of them.

Me and a buddy of mine tried naming them all over a few beers at a bar not too long ago. I think the only one we outright forgot was
Mike Hawthorne
. We got some of the Brabham/Clark/Hill years wrong too.

59/62

I've been an F1 fan since I was a kid. Of the three I missed there was one that I had outright forgotten, one I didn't think had been world champion and another I really should have remembered. Oh well, gave the old memory a bit of a test anyway!

IISANDERII

Haven't been a hardcore F1 follower for years but I still got 50/62.
Gosh darn Brabham, the name is even shown right there! Forgot Piquet, another mind fart

I got to 55/62 in about 3 minutes and then my mind went completely blank. Even though I knew them, what they looked like, could see the cars in my head etc... I couldn't name
Hunt, Rindt and Fangio!

I got stuck thinking Juan Carlos something even though it's Manuel!

I think I'll have to read an Autocourse tonight as penance.

Fisico

Got 56 in three minutes, and every world champion from 1968 to today EXCEPT the 1980 one, he was driving me nuts but I have no regrets as I wouldn't have been able to remember him,
sorry Alan Jones :(
The other ones I forgot were
Hulme, Clark, Surtees and Hawthorn

A few years ago I would've got the 62, too bad

Hammer24

Banned
Couple small updates:
- MCL and SAU think they know now what went wrong with this years cars. They blame Pirelli, that this years 60% tyres for the wind tunnel are not as representative of the real ones like last year. Especially MCL has a heavy loss of downforce when they turn the front wheels steering.
Problem is to be solved by heavy investing into active undercarriage systems for the wind tunnel (like RBR, MER and FER did), to realistically shape change the 60% tyres.
- MCL thinks they got the car from 1.5sec to .7sec deficit, and plan a major upgrade package for Barcelona
- MER thinks LOT uses some kind of active undercarriage, which enables them to be so tyre conserving. While LOT is not the only team using these, they are the ones who make it work best. Downside: the system is so complex, that you have only a small window setup wise. RAI driving style seems to make it easier to hit this window than GRO.

Bahrain Preview:
- heavy downforce, especially on the rear tyres necessary
- high mechanical grip needed, as there is always sand on the track making it slippery
- per lap four times acceleration over 300 km/h, but many slow corners bringing the average down to around 200km/h, one of the slowest
- 59% full throttle combined with heavy breaking and high ambient temperatures make it hard on the cars - and tyres, expect another average three pit stops
- two DRS zones again (before turn #1 and #11)
- very smooth track, allowing low car setup

Shaneus

He really looks like he hated shooting this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe73fex_E1Q

Yeah smiling little bit during one short lighthearted video makes him totally love all the media attention =P. I think lotus has said several times that they try to keep his media responsibilities to minimum because he doesn't like media attention. Of course they still try to exploit his popularity once in a while and probably contract says that Kimi has to do some amount of that too.

RayStorm

Couple small updates:
- MCL and SAU think they know now what went wrong with this years cars. They blame Pirelli, that this years 60% tyres for the wind tunnel are not as representative of the real ones like last year. Especially MCL has a heavy loss of downforce when they turn the front wheels steering.

Can anyone explain that in very simple terms? How can tires cause an aerodynamic simulation (which to my understanding is what you do in a wind tunnel) to fail?

In fact, I think I have no idea what a wind tunnel actually does. How/why can results from a wind tunnel be off from reality as was the case with Ferrari the past few years?

dubc35

Can anyone explain that in very simple terms? How can tires cause an aerodynamic simulation (which to my understanding is what you do in a wind tunnel) to fail?

In fact, I think I have no idea what a wind tunnel actually does. How/why can results from a wind tunnel be off from reality as was the case with Ferrari the past few years?

The tire composition or surface could be different from the actual composition. I'm assuming the 60% is the scaled tire (60% the size of a real tire). Generally scaled models are used in a wind tunnel rather than a full scale car. This is definitely true for aircraft. McL & SAU are saying that how the fluid, air in this case, reacts when passing over a surface on the model in the wind tunnel does not replicate how the air reacts when traveling over the tire on the real car.

or obviously any variation in the shape of the tire.

Front tires are hugely important to the aero as you might be able to tell from just looking at an F1 car. What piece looks like it causes the most drag and creates the most turbulence? Front tires.

RayStorm

I see. So Pirelli also supplies the teams with scale tires for their wind tunnel testing. And apparently those had a relatively slippery surface that the real tires don't have (or perhaps have but lose quickly when they make contact with the road).

Zozobra

Couple small updates:
Problem is to be solved by heavy investing into active undercarriage systems for the wind tunnel (like RBR, MER and FER did), to realistically shape change the 60% tyres.
- MCL thinks they got the car from 1.5sec to .7sec deficit, and plan a major upgrade package for Barcelona
- MER thinks LOT uses some kind of active undercarriage, which enables them to be so tyre conserving. While LOT is not the only team using these, they are the ones who make it work best. Downside: the system is so complex, that you have only a small window setup wise. RAI driving style seems to make it easier to hit this window than GRO.

Bahrain Preview:
- heavy downforce, especially on the rear tyres necessary
- high mechanical grip needed, as there is always sand on the track making it slippery
- per lap four times acceleration over 300 km/h, but many slow corners bringing the average down to around 200km/h, one of the slowest
- 59% full throttle combined with heavy breaking and high ambient temperatures make it hard on the cars - and tyres, expect another average three pit stops
- two DRS zones again (before turn #1 and #11)
- very smooth track, allowing low car setup

Thanks for this, Hammer. Are these from a website or do you pull these together yourself? I only ask because I'd be interested to read them about the other tracks as I'm still learning a lot about the sport.

Top Bottom