• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

really hate Alonso, but those frikin photographers deserve it BIG time!

It's wrong to do that, but it's damn satisfying..

Is Redbull sandbagging?

My bet is Alonso or Vettel on pole. Kimi not even top 3..

Ferrari looking really good this weekend, on long run pace and qualifying pace. If I was a betting man I'd certainly consider Alonso for the win.

Shaneus

cNyNHto.png

So what are the chances of James Allison joining McLaren and replacing Tim Goss? Goss surely can't be a permanent replacement for Paddy Lowe and Allison would definitely be a star signing for McLaren. Perez would benefit from his car designs for sure.

They also need to get rid of Sam Michael. He is definitely cursed.

sad to see McLaren so bad atm

I still don't get why they are hammering forward with the MP4-28 rather than last year's MP4-27. Last year's car put in a 1:21.7 last season, that is leagues ahead of this year, and yet the 27 is stuck in the warehouse/factory while the 28 is struggling to get around.

This is surely a management failure, an unwillingness to admit their mistake in going for revolution rather than evolution.

I still don't get why they are hammering forward with the MP4-28 rather than last year's MP4-27. Last year's car put in a 1:21.7 last season, that is leagues ahead of this year, and yet the 27 is stuck in the warehouse/factory while the 28 is struggling to get around.

This is surely a management failure, an unwillingness to admit their mistake in going for revolution rather than evolution.

I still don't get why they went for a "revolution" instead of evolution of the last years car, when the cars next year are going to be so different.

Adamm

Yes! This exactly. How much more effort are they planning to to put in to the new car with all the changes coming around in 2014?
They may as well go back to the old car & concentrate on next years car. No way are they going to get anywhere close to the title like this.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
So what are the chances of James Allison joining McLaren and replacing Tim Goss? Goss surely can't be a permanent replacement for Paddy Lowe and Allison would definitely be a star signing for McLaren. Perez would benefit from his car designs for sure.

They also need to get rid of Sam Michael. He is definitely cursed.

Not very likely, looks like he is going to be joining Ferrari.

Bernie just saying Silverstone could be dropped next year?

I still don't get why they went for a "revolution" instead of evolution of the last years car, when the cars next year are going to be so different.

Yes! This exactly. How much more effort are they planning to to put in to the new car with all the changes coming around in 2014?
They may as well go back to the old car & concentrate on next years car. No way are they going to get anywhere close to the title like this.

Yes, that's the other point. In keeping the 28 McLaren are signing their own death-warrant for 2014 with the huge regulations changes coming in. All the other teams are already talking about the 2014 cars and regulations while McLaren seem to be hammering away trying to fix the 28. They would be better off with the 27 and putting 70-80% worth of development time on the 29 and prepare for next season. They really just need to write this season off completely.

Hence the rest of the comment to clarify. He does it all the time, it's really odd.

Getting snarky over your own stealth edit? Now how has an odd sense of humour.

I really believe F1 drivers when they say they're scared to be passengers in a car. Stirling Moss said the same once.

That's just natural human survival instincts though, surely? I'm constantly stabbing the ghost brakes when I'm a passenger.

As for today's coverage, it's not boding well for the race. After a 3 week break, the BBC still manage to supply an unusually boring build up. Bloody Barcelona.

Sloane

Banned
Yes, that's the other point. In keeping the 28 McLaren are signing their own death-warrant for 2014 with the huge regulations changes coming in. All the other teams are already talking about the 2014 cars and regulations while McLaren seem to be hammering away trying to fix the 28. They would be better off with the 27 and putting 70-80% worth of development time on the 29 and prepare for next season. They really just need to write this season off completely.
I'm wondering how it is even possible to design a car that's so much worse than the one before without any huge regulations changes. If McLaren continues this way, without the Mercedes engine and with a few sponsors gone, they might become the next Williams.

I'm wondering how it is even possible to design a car that's so much worse than the one before without any huge regulations changes. If McLaren continues this way, without the Mercedes engine and with a few sponsors gone, they might become the next Williams.

That's why they need a big name signing like James Allison and a big name driver signing also. With Whitmarsh and Michael I can easily see McLaren heading the way of Williams. Also with Automotive investing millions in manufacturing there won't be a lot of spare cash for Racing within the group.

Whenever I see Alonso's DRS open, I get scared. That damn last race.

I love F1, but I must admit I've started to become a bit bored of it.

We all know who will win this year.

Oh come on, Lotus doesn't have to money to give Kimi the car he needs to win this WDC.

I'm wondering how it is even possible to design a car that's so much worse than the one before without any huge regulations changes.

The new car is fundamentally different to last years car. With that in mind, it's incredibly easy to end up taking a step back in overall performance. It's hard enough to make progress when you're iterating on a known design; just look at how many times over the course of a season that teams bring updates to their car that end up bringing negligible or detrimental changes in performance.

nny

Tsk, tsk, that Sauber messing Kimi's lap.

On prupose again saving tires by getting out early of this qualy nonsense.

Has there been any suggestions of Brawn to McLaren? He'll be looking for a job soon, by all accounts.

Would make sense. Whitmarsh and Michael have to be gone at the end of this season so Brawn looks like a good bet. He will be able to bring sponsors with him also and attract top driving talent.

I'm quite confident that the only place he's going after Mercedes is retirement.

Related, I saw him (as a guy in his late twenties) in that documentary on F1 turbo engines from back in the 80s. He's been around for a LOOOOOOONG time.

Edit - Late twenties maybe? Early thirties? I don't know exactly when the documentary was made.

Nicktendo86

My god, this McLaren is awful. Whitmarsh and Michael OUT now. Bring back the 27 for goodness sake, you need to finish as high up as possible in the constructors for the money. Idiots are running that team.

Top Bottom