• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

I wonder if there would be as many complaints if the teams were allowed unlimited tyres (which would allow them to pit as many times as they wanted).

Ce-Lin

This is a fraud and a spit in the face for the teams which worked hard to get the tires right, the rest should play catch up instead of whining, even Pirelli with their official statement admitted that this change will punish said teams while giving an advantage to Red Bull, you can't be more open/clear/transparent about it, they said "the change will give the team Read Bull and advantage while punishing the teams that got the thermal management right" yet the FIA is willing to take it no matter what.

if RBR & Mercedes cars need more pressure and load into the tires to turn corners at the same speed as Ferrari/Lotus/Force India then why don't they soften their cars ? in case they are suffering from thermal issues as well (which they are, in my opinion) why don't they play a bit with the exhausts' placement to improve mechanical grip ? they would achieve better suspension through slow turns... can't believe it, the first thing you learn as an engineer is that reducing downforce reduces the loads on the tires... RBR won't let go of the magical downforce Adrian Newey is capable to spell into his designs, better to have Pirelli to do all the (unfair) work for them instead, easy job when old Bernie thinks the finger boy is the second coming of Christ.

Enjoy the rest of the season, I'm out as soon as Vettel disappears from pole into the distance believing he is the best driver in history.

Except the races were boring as shit in the second half of the season.

Hope you guys enjoy RBR domination from Canada onwards, what a fucking joke

Yep. Was it Ferrari complaining about the tires people would be screaming Ferrari International Assistence and all that. But still, working hard to understand the tires shouldn't be rewarded. Let's change the tires!

He didn't say a word. Some woman was following him down the line of people handing him pieces of card which he was signing and handing out, and when he got to me near the end i handed him my hat instead, which he turned round in his hands whilst looking for a place to sign, so i turned it over for him and he signed the underside of the peak then handed it back to me :)

Did he touch your hand?!

Ark

This is a fraud and a spit in the face for the teams which worked hard to get the tires right, the rest should play catch up instead of whining, even Pirelli with their official statement admitted that this change will punish said teams while giving an advantage to Red Bull, you can't be more open/clear/transparent about it, they said "the change will give the team Read Bull and advantage while punishing the teams that got the thermal management right" yet the FIA is willing to take it no matter what.

You're acting as if the FIA have never altered the regulations during a season. You're also forgetting that this is Pirelli's decision, not the FIA's.

People need to stop thinking the FIA is favouring certain teams over others. It's all in the interest of the sport, which is all that matters.

Ce-Lin

You're acting as if the FIA have never altered the regulations during a season. You're also forgetting that this is Pirelli's decision, not the FIA's.

People need to stop thinking the FIA is favouring certain teams over others. It's all in the interest of the sport, which is all that matters.

yeah so now Pirelli can do as they wish without the FIA consent... I hope you are not being serious, ok, whatever. I made my points very clear, even technical points, it's mechanically possible to overcome the tires issues but for sure you are going to bleed downforce in the process, if you need to sit some races outside the podium then so be it, also RBR got 2 wins already... why are they so terrified now ? the didn't whine back when they won those 2 races.

Fantomex

Since when can Pirelli make changes without Governig body approval? You've lost me bro!

RayStorm

Though it could be argued that acting in the interest of the sport (as a financially viable platform) sometimes concured with having Ferrari be competitive.

Guys guess what.

i received a call from a friend in Qatar and his company (lots of cash) are looking into F1. They are looking closely at Caterham now, and a meeting took place just last week.

.. Should be interesting.

cmr-94

Rumour: Bernie Ecclestone has been charged with bribery

Nothing official yet

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/wirtschaft/schm...hoben-1.1672763

"Die Münchner Staatsanwaltschaft hat nach Informationen der Süddeutschen Zeitung (Mittwochausgabe) beim Landgericht München Anklage gegen Formel-1-Chef Bernie Ecclestone erhoben. Die Ermittler lasten dem Briten zwei Delikte an: Bestechung eines Amtsträgers in einem besonders schweren Fall und Anstiftung zur Untreue, auch hier in einem besonders schweren Fall. Die Schmiergeldvorwürfe könnten Ecclestone seinen Job als Formel-1-Chef kosten. Einflussreiche Leute in der Rennszene arbeiten darauf hin, dass der Brite sein Amt ruhen lässt."

Translation stolen from autosport forum:

Munichs crown prosecuters after informations of the Süddeutsche Zeitung (wednesday issue) pressed charges against Formula 1 Boss Bernie Ecclesstone at the Landgericht München. The investigator blame him in 2 delicts: bribery of an officeholder in an especially serious case and instigation to Unloyalty, also in an especially serious case. The bribeing accusations could cost Ecclestone his job as Formula 1 boss. Influential people of the racing scene are working towards the brit letting rest his office."

Orgun

Nothing official yet

"Die Münchner Staatsanwaltschaft hat nach Informationen der Süddeutschen Zeitung (Mittwochausgabe) beim Landgericht München Anklage gegen Formel-1-Chef Bernie Ecclestone erhoben. Die Ermittler lasten dem Briten zwei Delikte an: Bestechung eines Amtsträgers in einem besonders schweren Fall und Anstiftung zur Untreue, auch hier in einem besonders schweren Fall. Die Schmiergeldvorwürfe könnten Ecclestone seinen Job als Formel-1-Chef kosten. Einflussreiche Leute in der Rennszene arbeiten darauf hin, dass der Brite sein Amt ruhen lässt."

Munichs crown prosecuters after informations of the Süddeutsche Zeitung (wednesday issue) pressed charges against Formula 1 Boss Bernie Ecclesstone at the Landgericht München. The investigator blame him in 2 delicts: bribery of an officeholder in an especially serious case and instigation to Unloyalty, also in an especially serious case. The bribeing accusations could cost Ecclestone his job as Formula 1 boss. Influential people of the racing scene are working towards the brit letting rest his office."

Oh god yes! Please!

Dead Man

Nothing official yet

That would make my day if it was true and a solid case.

Mastah

Even funnier is that Vettel made 4 pit stops in 2011 too. But back then nobody at Red Bull had problems with 4 pit stops. Now 4 pit stops according to Red Bull it's not racing.

That was 5th race in Pirelli era. Now, with 2 seasons of knowledge about tyres, perfecting set-ups, changing suspension and aero to suit Pirellis and with FASTER cars (pole in 2011 by Red Bulls in 1:21, Alonso and Hamilton in 1:22, 2 years later with limited DRS everyone was in low 1:21), they still finished the race 15 seconds slower than in 2011. Yes, it's not really racing.

Dead Man

Actually, they did. They've been whining continuously since the season started.

It's a pretty solid case. They've already convicted the guy who took the bribe.

Excellent. I want Bernie to be in jail. It will never happen (age + insane amounts of money) but it's nice to dream.

DD

It seems that this is the new Formula-E car:

249542_532783403445600_229796509_n.jpg

Kind of a mix of the best bits of a F1 and an Indy car. Sweet!

Scrab wrote a short editorial about the change of compounds and how it will affect the aero and suspension:

AERODYNAMICS

But with the increased importance of air and exhaust flow around the rear tyres in the current generation of grand prix cars, there will also be implications for the rear end.

For windtunnel testing, Pirelli supplies 60 per cent scale tyres, which accurately reflect the deformation of the tyre.

Teams should be able to revert to the 2012 windtunnel tyres for aero testing.

Because of the change, teams will need to produce new versions of wings, endplates, floors and brake ducts.

SUSPENSION

Teams are faced with a large, but not insurmountable, challenge to adapt to the new tyres given the experience gained last year.

But it is a drain on resources for teams already stretched to develop new cars for the 2014 regulations.

The combination of the old tyre construction and new compounds will also be untested by teams going into the Canadian GP, which is quickly followed by some punishing, fast-flowing European tracks with unpredictable weather.

So any steps to stabilise the racing with these tyres could be offset by the effort required to adapt to them.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107432

Ce-Lin

AERODYNAMICS

But with the increased importance of air and exhaust flow around the rear tyres in the current generation of grand prix cars, there will also be implications for the rear end.

For windtunnel testing, Pirelli supplies 60 per cent scale tyres, which accurately reflect the deformation of the tyre.

Teams should be able to revert to the 2012 windtunnel tyres for aero testing.

Because of the change, teams will need to produce new versions of wings, endplates, floors and brake ducts.

SUSPENSION

Teams are faced with a large, but not insurmountable, challenge to adapt to the new tyres given the experience gained last year.

But it is a drain on resources for teams already stretched to develop new cars for the 2014 regulations.

The combination of the old tyre construction and new compounds will also be untested by teams going into the Canadian GP, which is quickly followed by some punishing, fast-flowing European tracks with unpredictable weather.

So any steps to stabilise the racing with these tyres could be offset by the effort required to adapt to them.

what a mess... do all teams really need to go through hell just to have Vettel and Hamilton back in the podium so the German and UK audiences don't leave ? - yes I'm bitter, I know it's mechanically possible to adapt to the current tires and both Kimi and Alonso are close to master them already, slower driving yes, but more skilled.

from Planet-F1

Red Bull back Pirelli changes
Wednesday 15th May 2013

Red Bull back Pirelli changes
Christian Horner has denied Pirelli's decision to change tyres will give Red Bull the upper hand, saying it was done "in the interests of good racing."

Pirelli came in for some serious stick in the wake of the Spanish Grand Prix which saw several drivers stop four times in order to make it through the 66 laps.

Red Bull was one of the teams that complained.

Team owner Dietrich Mateschitz said Formula One these days is a "tyre management competition" and has "nothing to do with racing anymore."

Due to the massive amount of criticism, Pirelli motorsport boss Paul Hembery announced on Tuesday that the Italian company would change their tyres ahead of the Canadian Grand Prix.

There are, however, concerns that more durable tyres will play into the hands of reigning World Champions Red Bull Racing, resulting in another year of Sebastian Vettel dominating.

Horner, though, insists it is "impossible to predict" how the change will affect the sport

impossible to predict... what a muppet, he knows well that they would benefit the most by reverting to last season specs, and we have good racing already, his interests are watching processions of pole-to-win fingerboy races helped by every mechanical factor out there, included the tires supplier. While he's driving on "autopilot" playing his 3DS in the cockpit sometimes he would radio "that driver in front of me is too slow, move him out of my way, and guys go get me a Happy Meal for next pit stop"

Uhhh. :O

impossible to predict... what a muppet, he knows well that they would benefit the most by reverting to last season specs-
Would help McLaren and Ferrari most likely too... or are you forgetting how the season ended?

Unrelated to your comment specifically, why do people seem to think Vettel dominated last season? He won the championship by the skin of his teeth, and only because of some bad luck at Ferrari and appalling reliability at McLaren.

what a mess... do all teams really need to go through hell just to have Vettel and Hamilton back in the podium so the German and UK audiences don't leave ? - yes I'm bitter, I know it's mechanically possible to adapt to the current tires and both Kimi and Alonso are close to master them already, slower driving yes, but more skilled.

How do you get the idea?

Either the car kills the tires or not.

moojito

How do you get the idea?

Either the car kills the tires or not.

A random example of how that's not the case would be the way Vettel goes really deep into some corners before turning which shifts the stress on the tyres from lateral to longitudinal. Knowing when it's beneficial to do that and being able to pull it off would indeed be skill and not just the car.

A random example of how that's not the case would be the way Vettel goes really deep into some corners before turning which shifts the stress on the tyres from lateral to longitudinal. Knowing when it's beneficial to do that and being able to pull it off would indeed be skill and not just the car.

Well, that is not something only Vettel could do. That are all top drivers and they know how to drive a car in the most effective way.
But no skill of Vettel or another driver could put the Red Bull on the same level as the Lotus or Ferrari in Spain.

Or do we still believe that Hamilton is just an one-trick pony?

moojito

Well, that is not something only Vettel could do. That are all top drivers and they know how to drive a car in the most effective way.
But no skill of Vettel or another driver could put the Red Bull on the same level as the Lotus or Ferrari in Spain.

Or do we still believe that Hamilton is just an one-trick pony?

It's been shown time and again that some drivers are better at looking after their tyres than others. Your point seemed to be that it was solely down to the car, which is most definitely not the case.

As to the point about Vettel's skill not allowing him to be on the same level as the Lotus or Ferrari, you're more than likely right. The failing here would seem to be the car's design team, not the driver's. As has been suggested previously, I don't think the tyres should have to be changed because a few cars don't work with them. It's up to those teams to sort their cars out.

The problem is that more downforce = more tread wear. The cars are literally too fast for the Pirelli tires. It shouldn't be the point of the F1 to penalize fast cars.
In the past years the Pirelli tires were short-living too but more downforce helped to reduce the thread wear.

Really, when?

TOKYO, May 15 (Reuters) - Honda will return to Formula One in 2015 as McLaren engine partners, replacing Mercedes, sources close to the company said on Wednesday.

Honda's Chief Executive Takanobu Ito is set to make an official announcement as early as Thursday, one of the sources added.

The news about Honda's return to Formula One was reported earlier on Wednesday in Japanese media including public broadcaster NHK and Asahi newspaper

http://news.yahoo.com/motor-racing-honda-return-f1-2015-mclaren-sources-125716582.html

Dead Man

He and Maxxx should be locked into dungeon with all kinds of S&M stuff going on

Max would like that way too much :)

from Planet-F1

impossible to predict... what a muppet, he knows well that they would benefit the most by reverting to last season specs, and we have good racing already, his interests are watching processions of pole-to-win fingerboy races helped by every mechanical factor out there, included the tires supplier. While he's driving on "autopilot" playing his 3DS in the cockpit sometimes he would radio "that driver in front of me is too slow, move him out of my way, and guys go get me a Happy Meal for next pit stop"
Clowns. It should only be changed mid season for safety reasons.

Shaneus

Top Bottom