• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Dead Man

Managing your tires so that they last to meet the pit stop delta, and managing your tires so that they don't just disintegrate while you're cornering at 100mph are two totally different things.

Yes, hence why I would be in favour of a change to make the tyres more physically durable, safety and all that. I don't think the performance characteristics should be changed at all.

Pirelli says it can bring boring processions back to F1 if asked
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107415

"It is a bit bizarre - unless you all want us to give tyres to Red Bull to help them win the championship, which appears to be the case.

"I think it is pretty clear. There is one team who will benefit from a change and that is them."

It's kind of cute how they play the Red Bull card while ignoring Mercedes completly. With some more robust tires they would be more than a serious contender for the title, the two poles of Rosberg are a good evidence that they have the speed. And it shouldn't be the job of a supplier to make the F1 more interesting and exciting.

DBT85

I propose the removal of the use both tyres rule, the creation of new tyres that last 33% of a race when being run right on the edge, and some magical way of cleaning up the wake from cars. Perhaps pixie dust.

That way if the teams want to tiptoe around to make them last 50% of the race then great, but they'll be slow.

Shaneus

I still don't know why most teams knocked back the "free" extra set of tyres for Q3. What possible objection could there be to running the cars as flat-stick as possible during that session?

Ark

If F1 was truly a "Quickest car & driver combination" formula then Fernando Alonso would have 0 championships instead of 2 because in 2005 Kimi and McLaren were by far the fastest car and driver and still lost the championship because they developed a car too unreliable while Renault opted for a more conservative approach. In 2006 Ferrari also had the best car and driver but Bridgestone vs. Michelin favored Renault in critical points of the season.

Funny but who developed the 2005 McLaren MP4-20 without thinking about reliability and ended up costing the championship? The same person that developed the 2013 Red Bull without thinking about tyre degradation. And tyres also decided the 2006 championship. This myth that F1 stopped being about fastest cars and drivers didn't happened because Pirelli, it's always been this way, like always who wins is the best package not the fastest package...

F1 is far more of a 'quickest car & driver combination' than it was in 2005, thus I merge fastest and best packages into one, because generally now they tend to be one in the same.

In 2005, sure I agree. But those issues were McLaren's fault directly, not because of a third-party. I'm not saying Pirelli are 100% at fault, but more so than, say, Bridgestone 2010.

Drivers always have to manage something on their car. Even if the tyres lasted a whole race, they would need managing, as per the seasons without pit stops. That was the criticism then, too. That drivers had to manage their tyres. There has never been a period when a driver has been able to drive flat out all race unless they were pitting more than the teams around them.

Of course the tyres would need managing, but the point I was trying to make was that Pirelli has gone too far. How many times have we heard on the broadcast radio "we need you to look after X tyre a bit better please" compared to "these times are good, let's keep pushing for the next 10 laps"?

Dead Man

Of course the tyres would need managing, but the point I was trying to make was that Pirelli has gone too far. How many times have we heard on the broadcast radio "we need you to look after X tyre a bit better please" compared to "these times are good, let's keep pushing for the next 10 laps"?

You have heard that for years though, this is not new. The delaminations and flats are what worries me, not the performance drop off.

Scuderia

Hmmm, 2 weeks tomorrow i go off to Barcelona. Luckily i have a track record of not seeing Vettel win, i hope to continue this trend.

Going to try desperately to get it signed by Kimi this Thursday!

I fucking delivered, GAF
941613_10152794945640648_4511863_n.jpg

7795_10152794949510648_1071339831_n.jpg

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Spotted this on Twitter:

Noble @NobleF1 2m

Pirelli is to make structural changes to tyres from Canadian GP to ensure 2/3 stop races. Elements of 2012/2013 design merged. Story soon

I think that Pirelli will only screw it up a bit more :D

TCRS

Banned
Nice. Lotus has the best colours out there, the black/gold car with Kimis fiery red helmet just looks iconic and boss.

I'm kind of feeling sorry for Rosberg. What a shitty car.

And is Suzi Perry getting better or am I just getting used to her? This forum wasn't too bad.

NHale

Spotted this on Twitter:

Noble @NobleF1 2m

Pirelli is to make structural changes to tyres from Canadian GP to ensure 2/3 stop races. Elements of 2012/2013 design merged. Story soon

I think that Pirelli will only screw it up a bit more :D

This is unbelievable. FIA clearly is Ferrari International Assistance. Oh wait...

Changing something that should be a constant throughout the season in the middle of a season is asking for trouble. Can't wait for Red Baby Racing to whine next year when Renault engines are worse than Mercedes and Ferrari engines. "We can't drive fast because of the engine. This is not racing, this is a circus. We should return to the old engines."

But Mateschitz and Mercedes together own 3 teams on the grid (and 2 of the 4 top teams) and that's why they won this battle against Pirelli. It's a shame because if it was Williams whining nobody would have cared one bit...

Mastah

At the beginning Pirelli said tyres were fine and they would review them after Bahrain. After Bahrain they decided only to change hards, as the rest of compounds according to them was fine. On Sunday after the race in Spain they said potential changes would happen for British GP. One day later and we got the news it will be changed from Canada. All I can say is LOL.

ramparter

Banned
They can't think of any aero changes to make the car go faster, so they're now changing their livery? Desperate times...

I guess you're joking but just to clarify that the color change will happen after 2014 when they probably won't have Mercedes engines anymore.

Great news about the tires. They couldn't continue any longer with that embarrassment.

NHale, your tinfoil hat is blinding the shit out of my eyes.

Deadman

David Coulthard column: I want to see F1 drivers flat-out http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22512693

What does seem to be completely clear, though, is that the drivers are not pushing right to the limit in the race. To what degree, depends on who you listen to. But after winning the race on Sunday, Alonso said he had been pushing at 90% most of the way.

In my whole career, I very rarely drove at only 90%. Usually, I'd be coughing up a lung. During my very first win, I remember thinking that if Michael Schumacher behind me didn't slow down, I was going to crash because I couldn't keep the pace up.

Scuderia

Grosjean signed a card thing with his stats on and gave it to me too, i'm pretty sure he was about to give it to someone else but the guy withdrew his hand, so i just took it.

Yoritomo

That's fucking stupid. Drivers have never been pushing flat-out ever on these Pirelli tires, but DC only argues this now. I'm pretty sure he hasn't been saying this the past 3 seasons.

Anyway, if tires require 2-3 stops still, dirvers still won't be going flat-out.

Then the key is figuring out the delta between 2-3 stops and pushing to narrow that delta to a point where it's faster to push.

Losing 3-5 seconds a lap because of a tire or having to nurse a tire is BS. The issue is that it would be even slower to push 100% and have 5 stops due to how quickly the tires would disintegrate that and the fact that there's a limit to the number of tires they can use. They're stuck with 3 and 3 for qualifying and race.

Ark

This is unbelievable. FIA clearly is Ferrari International Assistance. Oh wait...

Changing something that should be a constant throughout the season in the middle of a season is asking for trouble. Can't wait for Red Baby Racing to whine next year when Renault engines are worse than Mercedes and Ferrari engines. "We can't drive fast because of the engine. This is not racing, this is a circus. We should return to the old engines."

But Mateschitz and Mercedes together own 3 teams on the grid (and 2 of the 4 top teams) and that's why they won this battle against Pirelli. It's a shame because if it was Williams whining nobody would have cared one bit...

stock-photo-2247438-tin-foil-hat.jpg

Ce-Lin

these tires add extra challenge for drivers to be competitive, even if they can't achieve 100% speed their driving is far more interesting than just going all flat out on the accelerator pedal, let's see how skilled and complete drivers they are, not just a pole-to-win procession.

my opinion of course, can't wait to have my fair share of tin-foil hats pics replies.

Ark

these tires add extra challenge for drivers to be competitive, even if they can't achieve 100% speed their driving is far more interesting than just going all flat out on the accelerator pedal, let's see how skilled and complete drivers they are, not just a pole-to-win procession.

my opinion of course, can't wait to have my fair share of tin-foil hats pics replies.

All the current tyres are doing is swinging the driver to car ratio further to the car. This isn't about 'lol best drivers can handle tyres', but which car destroys the tyres the least.

I'm still amazed people are defending the tyres Pirelli have said they got it wrong with. F1 fans are a fickle bunch.

Fantomex

I'm glad they're fixing the tyres to eliminate all doubts and excuses. With the tyres in much better shape though I see Kimi dropping to 3rd and Vettel and Alonso fighting for the championship. Dat Ferrari and Dat Newey.

Ce-Lin

All the current tyres are doing is swinging the driver to car ratio further to the car. This isn't about 'lol best drivers can handle tyres', but which car destroys the tyres the least.

I'm still amazed people are defending the tyres Pirelli have said they got it wrong with. F1 fans are a fickle bunch.

I'm not defending the Pirelli tyres, just that, in my personal and maybe wrong experience, I'm having more fun with these races watching drivers do more than ever, it's quite a challenge and I'm not surprised Alonso and Kimi, two drivers known as "complete packages", are getting away with these tires even managing to push here and there.

On the other hand, are cars running way slower ? definitely, and are the cars not being put to their ultimate test ? debatable, certainly some parts of the cars contribute to earlier tire degradation, so not only speed is what makes the machinery break a sweat. Of course if safety is not guaranteed then by all means change the tires' specs immediately.

I'm glad they're fixing the tyres to eliminate all doubts and excuses. With the tyres in much better shape though I see Kimi dropping to 3rd and Vettel and Alonso fighting for the championship. Dat Ferrari and Dat Newey.

I'd rather see Alonso vs. Kimi in the championship fight.

Ce-Lin

I take back that "cars are much slower"

Spain GP, Barcelona

2011 - Winner: Vettel, Total Race Time 1:39:03.301
2013 - Winner: Alonso, Total Race Time 1:39:16.596 (2 tenths per lap slower, average)

13 seconds... considering in 2011 Vettel was being pushed by Hamilton to the very last lap and in 2013 Alonso was held back during the 1st stint by Rosberg and just cruised to the checkered flag for the last 15 laps. Also in 2011 the RBR blown-diffuser was in full effect.

Ark

Spain GP, Barcelona

2013 - Winner: Alonso, Total Race Time 1:39:16.596 (2 tenths per lap slower, average)

13 seconds... considering in 2011 Vettel was being pushed by Hamilton to the very last lap and in 2013 Alonso was held back during the 1st stint by Rosberg and just cruised to the checkered flag for the last 15 laps. Also in 2011 the RBR blown-diffuser was in full effect.

2004 - Winner: Schumacher, Total Race Time 1:27:32.841

Comparing times from 2011 and 2013 isn't a good base. The teams progress and the cars get quicker over the winter breaks naturally:

Hembery said that Pirelli's move to more aggressive tyres for this season had not taken into account the kind the performance steps that leading teams found over the winter, which had put the tyres under too much stress.

"They have basically been stressing everything far too much, and probably we underestimated the performance," he said.

"We cannot test with the current cars, and all we have access to is a 2010 Renault that laps four or five seconds slower than the current F1 cars do on a Sunday.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107421

On that note, does anyone know if it's possible for a team to donate a 2012 car to Pirelli? Not that it'll make much difference for next year, but it would be better than their 2010 Renault.

On that note, does anyone know if it's possible for a team to donate a 2012 car to Pirelli? Not that it'll make much difference for next year, but it would be better than their 2010 Renault.

I actually mentioned this during the winter test. Pirelli has a really hard time to get a modern F1 car. They're not allowed to get one, because the tech in those cars is either too new and could be interesting for other teams or the developed tyre could possibly favor the team that donated/sold the car. They best the could get was a 2011 HRT.

Scuderia

How was Kimi with the crowd?

He didn't say a word. Some woman was following him down the line of people handing him pieces of card which he was signing and handing out, and when he got to me near the end i handed him my hat instead, which he turned round in his hands whilst looking for a place to sign, so i turned it over for him and he signed the underside of the peak then handed it back to me :)

NHale

Spain GP, Barcelona

Even funnier is that Vettel made 4 pit stops in 2011 too. But back then nobody at Red Bull had problems with 4 pit stops. Now 4 pit stops according to Red Bull it's not racing.

Top Bottom