• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

DD

JezsonWhite.jpg

EDIT:

Sugar-Free-STR.jpg

Yes, please.

I hope this means they drastically change the livery. Would love to see the old white/red make a comeback.

I hear you. Too bad that livery was tied to Marlboro, so it won't come back.
Was it two years ago that Ferrari had to change its livery due to the white rectangles over the engine being too similar to Marlboro colour scheme?

I hear you. Too bad that livery was tied to Marlboro, so it won't come back.
Was it two years ago that Ferrari had to change its livery due to the white rectangles over the engine being too similar to Marlboro colour scheme?

Lotus' black and gold livery was tied to JPS and they still brought it back. There's no reason they can't do a similar red/white livery.

Dead Man

Lotus' black and gold livery was tied to JPS and they still brought it back. There's no reason they can't do a similar red/white livery.

Yeah, as long as it isn't actually tobacco related, it should be fine. If they tried to being back the triangle on the wing and everything they may struggle.

Yeah, as long as it isn't actually tobacco related, it should be fine. If they tried to being back the triangle on the wing and everything they may struggle.

Yup, that design (on the wing or on the nose) is a big no-no.
Still they could go with something different, like Footwork did in the early '90s

arrows_footwork_porsche.jpg

It wouldn't be as iconic, though.

DD

Bangcoc joins the Formula E calendar.

Now there's London, Rome, Los Angeles, Miami, Beijing, Putrajaya, Buenos Aires and Rio de Janeiro. Only one slot left open.

Ce-Lin

of course tire management is a driver skill, Hamilton is quick, quicker than Rosberg, but he cannot manage tires as well, we know that much sin pretty much forever. Also it's nonsense saying that fast cars aren't allowed to race, you have to find the balance, fast and tire friendy, you don't just build the quickest car you can and expect the tires supplier to give you the compound you need to reign supreme... oh wait...

Pirelli have been asking troubled teams to let go of some downforce in order to save tires but they are refusing, it's pole or nothing, podium or nothing, they don't want to sort their problems while getting some bad results for a few weeks... better whine non-stop ! and of course Ferrari can benefit for the harder compounds, but their hard-earned advantage will not be as big now, and that's an insult to the people working 24 hours to tweak the car for the infamous Pirellis since winter testing, guys you did well ! so well we're going to change the rules ! enjoy !

edit: Barcelona 2012 total race time, 1:39:14 (only two seconds quicker, after a full year of set-up optimizations, DRS and whatever other excuses people here come up with), so if Alonso one year later takes two more seconds to win the race then it's a total disaster, a Formula 1 farce, cars going slower than ice-cream vans, not the pinnacle of Motorsport, a boring fest... in reality it's some cars that need some serious tweaking they don't want to try.

random stuff: Alonso now the top 3 richest man in sports, following #2 Federer and #1 Beckham, next F1 driver up there is Hamilton, #11.

Addnan

Formula E around London? Any idea where it's going to be held? Either way, a a motorsport that I can get to with public transport with ease!

DD

Formula E around London? Any idea where it's going to be held? Either way, a a motorsport that I can get to with public transport with ease!

The London event will be particularly exciting as it is believed to be based around the Olympic Park in Stratford.

I'd like to see Paris or NYC in the final slot then.
There's two races already in the US. I'd rather see it happening in Paris (as you suggested) or in Sidney.

Honestly I'd like to see some wild places, roads, mountains, forests, etc. but it's a city based championship, so that ain't happening. =/

Dead Man

Yup, that design (on the wing or on the nose) is a big no-no.
Still they could go with something different, like Footwork did in the early '90s

arrows_footwork_porsche.jpg

It wouldn't be as iconic, though.

They could probably do something like the 95 McLaren, minus the Marlboro text of course:

mclaren1995hb1.jpg

Edit: Just change the front stripe so it didn't make a chevron on the nose.

That's only really going to work until they pit though. At which point the people behind on the much better condition tyres can just blast out fast laps whilst they get stuck in traffic after pitting.

Plus of course some people can roll the dice and pit early.

DBT85

That's only really going to work until they pit though. At which point the people behind on the much better condition tyres can just blast out fast laps whilst they get stuck in traffic after pitting.

Plus of course some people can roll the dice and pit early.

All depends on how the cars cope on the tyres, Monaco isn't particularly hard on them as it is a slow speed circuit. If Mercedes issue is overheating then they might be able to manage it a bit easier at Monaco.

We shall see what occurs, and I expect the likes of Ferrari and Red Bull will make whatever changes they need to to compete for pole for that reason.

I don't know, it managed to obliterate Vettel's tyres in 2011 (remember him only just holding on for the win). Last year was damp I think so probably not the best indication.

DBT85

I don't know, it managed to obliterate Vettel's tyres in 2011 (remember him only just holding on for the win). Last year was damp I think so probably not the best indication.

He had to stay on them though IIRC, everyone else pitted at the right time and was right behind him on fresher tyres that would last till the end. He he pitted he would have probably finished out of the points. I can;t recall the whole race though to remember why he never pitted with everyone else.

Then they red flagged the race and we all got mightily pissed off that they were allowed to change tyres.

Shaneus

He had to stay on them though IIRC, everyone else pitted at the right time and was right behind him on fresher tyres that would last till the end. He he pitted he would have probably finished out of the points. I can;t recall the whole race though to remember why he never pitted with everyone else.

Then they red flagged the race and we all got mightily pissed off that they were allowed to change tyres.
Oh, I remember that REALLY fucking well. Such bullshit that he was allowed to change tyres under red. Ugh.

DBT85

Oh, I remember that REALLY fucking well. Such bullshit that he was allowed to change tyres under red. Ugh.

Those are the rules though, but I hated it at the time. They could have swapped the engine out too if they wanted, once the race starts cars are no longer in Parc Ferme, they can do what they want to the car. That's why Hamiltons rear wing got fixed when ordinarily he would have probably had to stop.

f0rk

That would have been a really intense finish to the race as well, the top 3 were right on each other with reverse order of tyre condition

DBT85

F1 tyre changes will be much smaller than we expected. The FIA have declared that they can only be for safety reasons.

RedBull and Merc likely to be unhappy, Ferrari and Lotus will be pleased.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107487

Pirelli's planned mid-season Formula 1 tyre tweaks are set to be much smaller than originally anticipated after the FIA ruled that changes will only be allowed on safety grounds.

Sources have revealed that the governing body has told Pirelli that it is happy to accept - and is indeed keen for - alterations necessary to prevent a repeat of the rear tyre delaminations that have struck at the last few events.

But, in a blow to outfits like Red Bull hoping further tweaks would help them overcome tyre difficulties they have faced, the FIA has made it clear it will not tolerate further changes aimed at reducing the number of pitstops or decreasing degradation.

I imagine the tweaks will be exactly what they originally intended... just now people will think they're not going to be. Well played FIA.

cmr-94

If the tweaks are minimal then good. I can't believe the reaction from Spain tbh. Even though it was 4 stops, it is one of the highest degradation tracks on the calendar and as the season goes on teams will get on top of the tires, as we saw last year in austin etc.

With Pirelli aiming for 2-3 stops, i am sure that with the current tires we will be getting this in the coming races. Indeed, in the first 3 races we saw mostly 3 stops anyway.

To change the tires significantly in the middle of a season is completely unfair on teams that have best adapted to the situation, only for them to possibly to have the most work to do if the tires are changed.

Sloane

Banned
Indeed. Nice words, but I will believe it when I see it.
Yeah, on the other hand, what's the point in changing the tires completely considering that RBR would probably be dominating again? Right now it's pretty close between them, Ferrari, and Lotus which should give us some exciting races on better tracks than Barcelona.

Dead Man

Yeah, on the other hand, what's the point in changing the tires completely considering that RBR would probably be dominating again? Right now it's pretty close between them, Ferrari, and Lotus which should give us some exciting races on better tracks than Barcelona.

No point, except normal kneejerk mid season bullshit. If the FIA, Pirelli, and the teams were logical and had well thought out plans, we wouldn't be here in the first place lol

I imagine the tweaks will be exactly what they originally intended... just now people will think they're not going to be. Well played FIA.

I can't imagine that people will keep quiet about it for very long if that's what happens, given that making big changes to the tyres will incur big redevelopment costs to every team, which I can't see as being an improvement to the situation from the FIA's point of view.

Currently, it's essentially an argument about taste. If the above happened, it's an argument about the rules of the sport being broken.

Changing how the tyres flex and are constructed (to fix the de-lamination issue) is going to cause large amounts of redevelopment anyway... that's my point. Nothing has changed since the original announcement, especially as we only really had an inkling what Pirelli were doing anyway.

Changing how the tyres flex and are constructed (to fix the de-lamination issue) is going to cause large amounts of redevelopment anyway... that's my point. Nothing has changed since the original announcement, especially as we only really had an inkling what Pirelli were doing anyway.

Not necessarily, it depends why it's happening in the first place. The original proposed changes were a merge of the 2012 and 2013 regulations, that would have required teams to revert to 2012 scale tyres in their wind tunnels, in turn affecting the aero of the cars.

It's quite possible that they can reduce the chances of delaminations without changing that much.

When Pirelli spoke about it they said they'd have to change the construction method to stop it happening, that's going to have a huge effect on flex.

moojito

When Pirelli spoke about it they said they'd have to change the construction method to stop it happening, that's going to have a huge effect on flex.

I don't think so. In fp3 the pirelli guy was speaking on the bbc and said last year the tyres had some kind of metal plate in them. This belt coming off thing is just how the tyre reacts to a cut whereas last year it would puncture at the rim or something. The guy was adamant that it's not at all more dangerous than last year's tyre, it's just the way it looks when it fails is a bit more dramatic.

I'm not sure what difference that makes, they've specifically said they're changing it so that it wont fail in that manner any more... which means changing the construction method.

moojito

It means that, unless they have something else planned, they can just revert to last year's which didn't have any unusual flexing issues.

Dead Man

I imagine neither team has ever complained in the past about anything...

...no.

I think that 1. RBR in their short history has a pretty bad record of complaining a lot. 2. It's a joke, they are not saying they have never complained.

Edit: If the pecking order is flipped and stays that way over 3 or 4 races, will people still think it was fair?

Top Bottom