• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Wow this could be really heavy. imagine if they actually get kicked out the championship
So they will focus on their 2014 car with full force lol

But we will see, no wonder they had lawyers working on this, what will Mercedes answer be.

That's really unlikely. The worst that I could imagine is that they're excluded from the Constructor's Championship, but even that I don't see actually happening.

Being excluded from the constructor's championship literally is the worst thing that could happen to them, as that's far more lucrative than the driver's championship for the team.

I doubt very much that the results of this race will be overturned. The way that FIA statement is worded, it seems to imply that the onus was on Pirelli to properly organise the test and inform the relevant bodies as opposed to Mercedes. While I could see Mercedes handed some form of punishment, I think the most likely outcome will be that Pirelli leave the sport at the end of the year.

...unless there's no one willing to take their place, in which case they've pretty much got the FIA over a barrel.

I do wonder if this will be enough to convince Pirelli it's not worth it. The FIA has been remarkably consistent at pissing off tire suppliers the past decade.

Why so angry?

Who's angry?

Brawny got caught cheating (again) and the team needs banning for breaching the rules. I think a minimum of three races and a hefty fine should do it.

BLM9qDcCcAAd3fj.jpg

DBT85

Seems like Valtteri likes it :D

Ha thats neat. I wanted to make it myself but had to ask in the gif thread. Glad it's getting out there tough :D 66 retweets lol. According to Imgur it's had 23,000 views and used 45GB of bandwidth!

On the tyre investigations, I wonder what will happen.

From the sound of it Pirelli did indeed ask to do a test with a current car, the FIA said yes but you have to ask everyone else and you have to run the car, then Pirelli asked everyone informally, they all said no except Merc, Merc did the test but ran the car, Pirelli didn't tell the FIA that they had asked and been rejected by everyone.

I suppose it all depends on the documentation that was supposedly sent out.

cmr-94

Brawny got caught cheating (again) and the team needs banning for breaching the rules. I think a minimum of three races and a hefty fine should do it.

I like how no ones jumping to any conclusions.

As far as i see it, this could easily be pirelli's fault that they haven't contacted all the teams. If that's the case then it's hardly mercs fault. But who knows

Hana-Bi

I like how no ones jumping to any conclusions.

As far as i see it, this could easily be pirelli's fault that they haven't contacted all the teams. If that's the case then it's hardly mercs fault. But who knows

Yeah, they even asked the FIA before they were testing.

I think that was a really poor communication between the FIA, Pirelli and Mercedes.

AcridMeat

Banned
Race was pretty boring, thank goodness we had a recording to fast forward the safety cars and red flag.

Perez was funny when he was pissing off Button, then he just had to ruin Kimi...bastard.

Juicy Bob

FIA said:
At the beginning of May, the FIA was asked by Pirelli if it was possible to carry out some tyre development testing with a team, using a current car.

Within the contract Pirelli has with the FIA as single supplier, there is provision for them to carry out up to 1000km of testing with any team – provided every team is offered the opportunity to do so.

Pirelli and Mercedes AMG were advised by the FIA that such a development test could be possible if carried out by Pirelli, as opposed to the team that would provide the car and driver, and that such tests would be conditional upon every team being given the same opportunity to test in order to ensure full sporting equity.

Following this information, the FIA received no further information about a possible test from Pirelli or Mercedes AMG. Furthermore, the FIA received no confirmation that all teams had been given an opportunity to take part in the test.

In addition, with regard to the application of the sport’s rules, including principles of sporting equity, it should be remembered that the International Sporting Code provides that on a basis of a report of the stewards of the meeting, or on its own initiative, the prosecuting body of the FIA may bring a matter before the International Tribunal.

The Tribunal may decide to inflict penalties that may supercede any penalty the stewards of the meeting may have issued. Such procedure would be followed in pursuance of the FIA Judicial and Discplinary Rules.
I think the bolded is where they're fucked. It sounds like they were supposed to give the car and the driver to Pirelli who would, somehow, operate the test themselves, a bit like when they did/do development work with Alguersuari with one of their own chassis. Maybe to try and prevent Mercedes from having all the data and gaining an advantage, I don't know.

But it seems as though Mercedes were very much in control of the test, which would suggest that they've both messed up...

Shaneus

ahahaha Kimi actually said that the drivers should punch Perez in the face (1:18):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGRF-ED8RGI

you can just hear it

damn Kimi is angry. Perez actually made Kimi break his year long silence during the drives meeting a couple of races ago. He's been pissing off Kimi for some time now.
Haven't watched, but doesn't that almost perfectly echo what Webber said about Grosjean in Japan? I think it might.

Edit: Oh man, that Massa photo will get some use. Meme-worthy.

Dead Man

Seems like Valtteri likes it :D
Excellent, I like him.
Yeah, they even asked the FIA before they were testing.

I think that was a really poor communication between the FIA, Pirelli and Mercedes.
Sounds like it might be a case of that. Hard to say with the normal FIA CYA policy that occurs.
I think the bolded is where they're fucked. It sounds like they were supposed to give the car and the driver to Pirelli who would, somehow, operate the test themselves, a bit like when they did/do development work with Alguersuari with one of their own chassis. Maybe to try and prevent Mercedes from having all the data and gaining an advantage, I don't know.

But it seems as though Mercedes were very much in control of the test, which would suggest that they've both messed up...

They do say the team is to supply the car and driver. Really sounds like a poorly worded rule to me, shockingly :/ As long as they have offered other teams the opportunity, and continue to do so, I would say they were covered, but the FIA may see it differently.

amar212

I see he is at least playing the best version. Still he should be playing iRacing or rFactor...

If 30fps with not so occasional dips is good enough for professional F1 driver, I really do not see how us - peasants - are never satisfied by it.

We should really do a reality check upon ourselves :p

Addnan

Speaking of Grosjean. If they were to replace him for next race who would be available and the best candidate?
Valsecchi is supposed to be a decent driver, but jumping into a big team mid season would be tricky. I don't see any of the other teams letting their drivers switch. Di Resta comes to mind, but that wouldn't be until the end of season.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
James Allen has a great piece on the Testgate saga and if you look at reaction from the F1 press, most agree with his take on the situation. As usual in F1, its not as simple as its appears.
News this morning is saying that Red Bull were invited to take part in the same tyre test as Mercedes after Barcelona and turned it down. They are now pissed that Mercedes took up the invite instead.

James Allen

LeBoef

that perez :(

i am sorry if this has been posted before. went some pages back and couldnt find it.
just amazing promotion
944197_589458154418628_987487237_n.jpg

as great as this one
22sld3.jpg

Shaneus

Speaking of Grosjean. If they were to replace him for next race who would be available and the best candidate?
Petrov.

Edit: To back that up (I'm only half-kidding), they need someone who can bring the car home, ergo someone who has experience with F1 and not another potential accident-prone GP2 driver. Not wins, but to get Constructor's points.

Juicy Bob

What about bringing back the testing slot at race weekends from 2003, but only for 'young drivers'?

Young drivers get track time, Pirelli gets more chance to test out tyres on current cars, everbody wins, right?

just amazing promotion

I completely disagree, I thought the opportunity was painfully squandered. You're promoting a band that are most recognised for wearing two distinct helmets, yet they failed to capitalise on that with any members of the team that wear helmets (mechanics and drivers), and instead put them on the car in just about the least visible spot imaginable.

As naff as the Star Wars and Superman Returns promotions were, they were far more imaginative (and visible).

Kassu

Banned
Kovalainen. He has already driven in few practices this year for Caterham, so he also has experience from this year unlike the others. And he has always been a quite stable driver excluding the early years in McLaren. Though at least Finnish media is sure he will replace either Pic or Garde in some point of this season, so I'm not sure if he could just jump to Lotus.

Dead Man

James Allen has a great piece on the Testgate saga and if you look at reaction from the F1 press, most agree with his take on the situation. As usual in F1, its not as simple as its appears.
News this morning is saying that Red Bull were invited to take part in the same tyre test as Mercedes after Barcelona and turned it down. They are now pissed that Mercedes took up the invite instead.

James Allen

Good piece, JA had really come into his own as a writer rather than TV presenter. It is a good point that if Pirelli were to understand the tyre failures, they need a current car to do that.

Top Bottom