• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

I'm with you with the refuelling, seems like an obvious way to bring some strategy. Seems so obvious, so the FIA will never bring it back.

Fuck refuelling. You'd just see an instant return to people waiting for pitstops instead of trying to pass on track. The tyre moaning is really beyond ridiculous now as well. Sure, the drivers aren't driving flat-out from start to finish, but guess what, if it wasn't tyres it would be something else they'd be managing. Namely fuel.

The Merc testing controversy is great, but everything else can just bum off.

Septimius

Fuck refuelling. You'd just see an instant return to people waiting for pitstops instead of trying to pass on track. The tyre moaning is really beyond ridiculous now as well. Sure, the drivers aren't driving flat-out from start to finish, but guess what, if it wasn't tyres it would be something else they'd be managing. Namely fuel.

The Merc testing controversy is great, but everything else can just bum off.

Why would you see an instant return to that when it's much quicker to just pass someone? You're assuming it's hard to pass someone these days. Instead, you'd have people on different strategies, and if you've seen, say, Hungary '98, you know how fucking awesome that can be.

The thing about managing fuel is that you can put in a bunch of insane laps and then ease back to recover. You do three insane laps on these tyres and you'll never get them back.

I'd take fuel management over tyre management any day of the week.

Why would you see an instant return to that when it's much quicker to just pass someone? You're assuming it's hard to pass someone these days. Instead, you'd have people on different strategies, and if you've seen, say, Hungary '98, you know how fucking awesome that can be.

Without these tyres, and outside of DRS zones, pretty much nothing has changed in the design of the cars to successfully aid overtaking, which is largely why those measures were introduced in the first place. And Hungary just happens to be one of the few tracks that has a tendency to level the relative performance of the cars (not completely, of course).

Leunam

Lewis might have chance at Canada. He tends to do well there and that coupled with the Mercedes qualy pace he might get his first win of the season.

I would think it is, its a super soft and soft track.

Did a quick google but unfortunately most of the relatvent search terms are bringing up stories about the latest tyre fiasco. However I did find this article from 2011 in which Pirelli describe the tyre wear in Canada as 'critical' (but what would they know, amiright?), but there's quotes from Rubens in there saying much the same. Seems the main issues are heavy braking and a low grip surface. Not sure if the latter is still true today though.

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/news/2011/06/06/2011-canadian-grand-prix/

Lewis might have chance at Canada. He tends to do well there and that coupled with the Mercedes qualy pace he might get his first win of the season.

Unless their testing really did help them move forward considerably then I wouldn't bet on Mercedes getting a particularly good result in the race.

As for Canada and tyres, Pirelli were specifically told to recreate Canada at other tracks, namely the really exciting races we had due to heavy tire wear.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_feature_item.php?fes_action=&fes_art_id=43231&fes_page=2

Addnan

You guys are going to gaf in trouble for posting that. Its from Autosport+, thats why I am guessing it was removed from pastebin.

Though, probably not many people even know this thread exists :p

kharma45

You guys are going to gaf in trouble for posting that. Its from Autosport+, thats why I am guessing it was removed from pastebin.

Though, probably not many people even know this thread exists :p

I didn't realise they'd come after sites to get stuff taken down, although I did see a comment in passing on Reddit about something like that. Better remove it just in case.

Anyway, if you want that Schumi - Rosberg - Hamilton story PM me instead just to stay on the safe side.

Mobius 1

The secret to Senna's legendary skill revealed – he had a pact with a demon dog.

izizNwwLpBqzh.png

Hammer24

Banned
BTW, Pirellis decision to bring the new tyres only to Fridays FP´s gets special praise from FI and LOT.
FI: We are not going to race any tyres we haven´t tested before. And we are going to veto any change in tyres that would change the recent hierarchy. Spectators would switch off if suddenly a team wins that had tyre trouble before.
LOT: We don´t know why people make such a big fuss about the tyre delamination. Its not too bad, and still better than an exploding tyre. Everyone knows what the tyres are like since September last year, so they could have built cars that match the tyres, just like we did.

DBT85

LOT: We don´t know why people make such a big fuss about the tyre delamination. Its not too bad, and still better than an exploding tyre. Everyone knows what the tyres are like since September last year, so they could have built cars that match the tyres, just like we did.

That's fine, but Pirelli are adamant that debris caused those delaminations, so it's not a case of the car being designed for it or not.

Unless their testing really did help them move forward considerably then I wouldn't bet on Mercedes getting a particularly good result in the race.

As for Canada and tyres, Pirelli were specifically told to recreate Canada at other tracks, namely the really exciting races we had due to heavy tire wear.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_feature_item.php?fes_action=&fes_art_id=43231&fes_page=2

But we don't know what it is that is causing the Merc problems. If they are killing their tyres mostly in high speed corners then they'll be ok in Canada as they were in Monaco, as there are none. It's a point an squirt track.

Brawn said that the real test for them will be at Silverstone, not Canada.

The design has been gone over by a few of the experts and they reckon it'll end up significantly different from what we see in that pic. I'm not talking so much about style, more that it's going to have quite different layout.

Still, it's a nice concept shot anyway. Certainly prettier than this one:

upren14b.jpg

:D

Hammer24

Banned
The design has been gone over by a few of the experts and they reckon it'll end up significantly different from what we see in that pic. I'm not talking about style, I'm talking about layout.

The new one is about 10kg heavier - so they´ll develop to the last second to get that difference down.

Certainly prettier than this one:

Guess Williams did the same comparison... ;)

Maybe that's the boy racer edition of the Renault engine.

Edit - You hate Vettel for Hamilton's snipe? Like it or not, he's right that the Mercs were massively slow, but they did what they had to.

That aside, I don't really think Hamilton's in much of a position to talk about having it easy in F1 given he never experienced life as a backmarker. Plus of course the McLaren was the fastest car last year (just not at all reliable!).

Goldrusher

Williams-Mercedes as of 2014.

The Williams F1 Team and Mercedes-Benz are pleased to announce the signature of a long-term engine partnership from the 2014 Formula One World Championship season onwards.

Under the terms of the agreement, Williams will be supplied with a Mercedes-Benz Power Unit (Internal Combustion Engine plus Energy Recovery System) by Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains (HPP) based in Brixworth, UK. Williams will continue to manufacture its own transmission.

The 2014 regulations will set the sport’s engineers the challenge of completing a 300 km race distance on a fuel load of just 100 kg. To do so, teams will switch from naturally aspirated 2.4 litre V8 engines to 1.6 litre V6 turbocharged hybrid Power Units. To achieve power outputs comparable to current levels from the new Power Unit will require a 30% increase in energy efficiency.

This step forward will be largely achieved through an Energy Recovery System (ERS) that will be able to deploy ten times more energy than the current KERS. The new ERS will recover energy from both the exhaust turbine and the rear axle, as well as deploying energy back to both.

These new technical developments will offer significantly greater opportunities for technology transfer from Formula One to real-world applications in areas such as battery technology, turbocharging, energy recovery and combustion efficiency.

Speaking about the new engine partnership, Williams F1 Team Founder and Team Principal Sir Frank Williams said; “I’m delighted to announce our new association with Mercedes-Benz for the 2014 Formula One season and beyond. Mercedes-Benz has been one of the sport’s most successful engine suppliers and we believe that they will have an extremely competitive engine package. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Renault for their continued hard work since we renewed our engine partnership at the beginning of the 2012 season. We have enjoyed a strong relationship that has resulted in much success over the years, including powering us to winning ways once again last year at the Spanish Grand Prix.”

Claire Williams, Deputy Team Principal, said “The announcement of this partnership is exciting news for Williams. Securing the right engine supply partnership is a key milestone in the implementation of our strategy for long term success. We are also pleased to conclude this agreement early in the season and we very much look forward to working with Mercedes AMG HPP in developing our 2014 race car.”

Andy Cowell, Managing Director of Mercedes AMG HPP, commented: “It is a very proud moment for everybody at Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains to announce the start of this new partnership with the Williams F1 Team. Williams is one of the sport’s iconic names and we are very excited to be working together towards a successful future under the new regulations. A further positive is that this new agreement provides Mercedes-Benz with the long-term stability of supplying our works team and at least two partners from the 2015 season onwards, following the conclusion of our relationship with McLaren at the end of next season.”

Toto Wolff, Executive Director of MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS, concluded: “The proud heritage of Williams and the company’s commitment to technological excellence make it a perfect long-term partner for Mercedes-Benz under the new powertrain regulations. It is a win-win situation for both HPP and Williams, which will ensure HPP is able to supply at least three teams on a long-term basis under the new regulations and could open interesting new perspectives for technology transfer. We look forward to enjoying much success together over the coming years.”

http://www.williamsf1.com/Team/Medi...s-Benz-announce-long-term-engine-partnership/

Hammer24

Banned

DBT85

The design has been gone over by a few of the experts and they reckon it'll end up significantly different from what we see in that pic. I'm not talking so much about style, more that it's going to have quite different layout.

Still, it's a nice concept shot anyway. Certainly prettier than this one:

upren14b.jpg

:D

I realise that is colourised to highlight different bits, but it looks like an engine made by Dyson.

Salamndar

Maybe that's the boy racer edition of the Renault engine.

Edit - You hate Vettel for Hamilton's snipe? Like it or not, he's right that the Mercs were massively slow, but they did what they had to.

That aside, I don't really think Hamilton's in much of a position to talk about having it easy in F1 given he never experienced life as a backmarker. Plus of course the McLaren was the fastest car last year (just not at all reliable!).

I hate him because he is always acting like a dick and not just for what he said there but every time he opens his mouth, shit comes out, also he acts with arrogance to his teammate and fellow compactors !

That would explain why you link an out-of-context blog entry.

"I was a bit surprised by the slow pace in the opening laps," Vettel, who had started behind the two Mercedes of Rosberg and 2008 champion Lewis Hamilton on the front row, told reporters.
"Usually you expect two silver arrows in front of you and there were two buses today going for a cruise - at least in the first couple of laps. But obviously the strategy was clear and they did a very good job.
"They were going quite slow and trying to obviously make the one stop happen. And fair play, they were in the lead, around here it's very tricky to pass."

Not sure how this is arrogant.

"He has had the fastest car for the last four years"

I guess Hamilton ignores the fact that he had the fastest car last year.

Septimius

That would explain why you link an out-of-context blog entry.

"I was a bit surprised by the slow pace in the opening laps," Vettel, who had started behind the two Mercedes of Rosberg and 2008 champion Lewis Hamilton on the front row, told reporters.
"Usually you expect two silver arrows in front of you and there were two buses today going for a cruise - at least in the first couple of laps. But obviously the strategy was clear and they did a very good job.
"They were going quite slow and trying to obviously make the one stop happen. And fair play, they were in the lead, around here it's very tricky to pass."

Not sure how this is arrogant.

I guess Hamilton ignores the fact that he had the fastest car last year.

It just comes off as a bit self-righteous. Like he deserved to win. It also doesn't feel like Hamilton's particularly ignoring where he came from, as much as he is saying that he doesn't have the fastest car this year.

Top Bottom