• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

AcridMeat

Banned
I was expecting a new quote, but that's from the post race interview. He's shown to be a poor loser in the past, but this is not an example of it. Poor "journalism".

G-Unit

MMD_141606_ferrari_identifica_el_motivo_del_accidente_de_massa.jpg

DBT85

So Pirelli are pointing the finger directly at Mercedes

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107780

Pirelli has insisted that the tyre test Mercedes carried out at Barcelona was focused on 2014 developments, did not favour Mercedes, and that the use of a 2013 car was not at the tyre firm's request.

"The use of the car utilised by Mercedes, in particular, was the result of direct communication between the FIA and the team itself. Pirelli did not ask in any way that a 2013 car be used: not of Mercedes nor the FIA nor the teams which, during the year, were offered the opportunity of participating in tests for the development of tyres for 2014."

cmr-94

Interesting how the test with Merc was not a 'secret', yet they couldn't say that ferrari were the team who took part in the other test, saying it is 'confidential' information.

On the other hand, the way Hembery was talking was like they expected to be in the sport next year

Hammer24

Banned
Merc might leave F1

Due to the new compliance rules Merc confirmed today, that they have a get-out-clause in their F1 contract they might be forced to use, if it comes to an indictment for Bernie.
Munichs attorney general finished their investigation, but its still unclear if they are going to move against him. Merc will wait what, if anything, comes out of this.

cmr-94

Merc might leave F1

Due to the new compliance rules Merc confirmed today, that they have a get-out-clause in their F1 contract they might be forced to use, if it comes to an indictment for Bernie.
Munichs attorney general finished their investigation, but its still unclear if they are going to move against him. Merc will wait what, if anything, comes out of this.

wow

Oh please, call me whatever you want, but Mercedes is way too deep into F1 now to pull out just like that. They just signed Williams as another partner team for their new V6 turbo engines.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Merc might leave F1

I think that they will use this as a threat if this go messy

Hammer24

Banned
I think that they will use this as a threat if this go messy

Its no empty threat: the compliance rules they set upon themselves would force them to react.
But that's still a bit in the future, all depends on how the Bernie saga plays out.

Dead Man

Merc might leave F1

Why?

Hammer24

Banned

Daimler has a compliance rule set a la "do no evil". They even have a board member (Christine Hohmann-Dennhardt, a former federal constitutional judge) whose sole responsibility the oversight of the compliance rules is.
This compliance rule set goes from "no child labor" over the full spectrum to "no contracts with convicted criminals". And the last point would force them outta F1, if Bernie would be indicted and f.i. not show up for trial in Germany (which everyone expects). If he´d then continue to head F1, Merc would be forced to leave.

DBT85

Coulthard: Monaco GP was rubbish.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/22678909

I said in commentary that it was rubbish, and I stand by that.

Normally, I'm the first person to defend F1. It is the fastest motorsport, with the best cars and the best drivers. It is a sport that attracts elite people in all areas, whether it's the media, the catering or anything else.

But when you have drivers clearly racing way below the pace they are capable of, that's not right.

There are people who say it has been like that for some time now - basically since Pirelli became the tyre supplier in 2011. I hadn't felt it so much until this race because in F1 you've always had to drive to the grip you have. But Monaco was an extreme and that is frustrating to see.

if Bernie would be indicted and f.i. not show up for trial in Germany (which everyone expects). If he´d then continue to head F1, Merc would be forced to leave.

This is why the Merc threat is a bit of nonsense; I can't imagine that ever happening. Even if he wanted to retain control in those circumstances, Mercedes leaving would force others to make the decision for him.

moojito

Meh, I reckon merc will be excluded from this year's constructor championship and will just go full speed ahead into development for next year.

Could you please elaborate on which regs they breached? I´m really curious.

22.1 Track testing shall be considered any track running time not part of an Event undertaken by a competitor entered in the Championship, using cars which conform substantially with the current Formula One Technical Regulations in addition to those from the previous or subsequent year.

22.4 No track testing may take place:

b) With more than one car per day at any such test.

Mercedes informed Pirelli that its 2011 car could not be used

But it can pound around Silverstone for the past two days?

SNE24767-copy-620x413.jpg

Ban them.

How the whole test was kept secret:

- On Sunday evening Mercedes behaves like all other teams, loads the trucks, says bye bye and the trucks leave the Barcelona circuit for England.

- Mercedes trucks dont drive to England, they go to the Costa Brava about 1 hour from Montmelo

- The mechanics pretend they are on holiday in Costa Brava.

- The problem is that laws require circuit employees, an ambulance and a helicopter be present at the circuit.

- Stuttgart (ie Mercedes HQ) makes an offer to the circuit, triple fee but all circuit employees leave, safety and security etc will be handled by Mercedes employees.

- A plain white transporter with no Mercedes branding arrives, one of the cars is transfered from the regular Mercedes truck to the plain white one and the regular Mercedes trucks head home at this point.

- Hamilton and Rosberg are told to go to Montmelo with unbranded race suits/helmets so that it looks like just somebody is shooting a commercial.

- According to rumors Michael Schumacher was also invited by Ross Brawn.

- Pirelli complies with the whole secrecy of the test.

- People got curious in Monte Carlo about why Rosberg/Hamilton were so confident they would go well in the grand prix and had solved the suspension problems that cause the excessive wear in Barcelona.

- People put two and two together so Pirelli/Mercedes/whiting put togethera set of documents regarding the tests (letters between Pirelli/Mercedes etc).

- Red Bull went nuts and asked Todt what he knew.

- Todt only knew about half the story and he went nuts.

770972618.png

http://www.mobypicture.com/user/piusgasso3/view/15296509

cmr-94

Supposedly either Hamilton or Rosberg accidentally let slip the test in the driver meeting, and vettel told horner and RBR

Dead Man

Daimler has a compliance rule set a la "do no evil". They even have a board member (Christine Hohmann-Dennhardt, a former federal constitutional judge) whose sole responsibility the oversight of the compliance rules is.
This compliance rule set goes from "no child labor" over the full spectrum to "no contracts with convicted criminals". And the last point would force them outta F1, if Bernie would be indicted and f.i. not show up for trial in Germany (which everyone expects). If he´d then continue to head F1, Merc would be forced to leave.

Ah, thanks.

Hammer24

Banned
But it can pound around Silverstone for the past two days?

The rules cited by you do not apply in this scenario. But I guess you know that. :)

How the whole test was kept secret:

That is not how it went, now I´m really curious who came up with this bogus.

In other news:
Toyota, Porsche and BMW forced to move
FIA plans a step by step engine development freeze from 2016-2018. If said manufacturers are pondering the possibility to get (back) to F1, they need to act soon.
The plan is as follows:
- 2014 develop all you want
- 2015 only changes in 60 areas of the engine, which will be awarded points. As soon as a predetermined number of points is reached, development has to stop. The point number for 2015 is 32. Different engine parts have different point "prices".
- 2016 the point number goes down to 15.
- 2017 the point number goes down to 8.
- 2018 engines are "frozen" (like they are now since four years).
Any engine manufacturer who wants to get into F1 doesn´t start at the beginning, but has to play by the rules set for the current year.
Renault, Ferrari and Merc all seek longterm contracts with the teams of at least five years - until the freeze is in effect, so no team changes inbetween and does information transfer. The sole exception is Merc with MCL. Merc will only deliver sealed engines and an engineer whose sole job is watching the MCL technicians don´t open the seals.

Dead Man

Gotta say, choosing between Hammer24 and Wax Free Vanilla, with no sources listed for either, I would have to side with Hammer24.

If you have a source though WFV, I'd love to read it.

Hammer24

Banned
I don´t think its a question of choosing sides. :)

While Merc and Pirelli wheren´t exactly handing out press releases for the upcoming test, they didn´t exactly James Bond the situation either. Not a single piece of the pit set got packed up.

NHale

I don´t think its a question of choosing sides. :)

While Merc and Pirelli wheren´t exactly handing out press releases for the upcoming test, they didn´t exactly James Bond the situation either. Not a single piece of the pit set got packed up.

I believe it was Will Buxton that said on Twitter that everyone on the paddock noticed that Mercedes wasn't packing up after the race. It was clearly not a secret if a reporter notices that.

torontoml

So I might be getting tickets for Montreal today, does anyone have a suggestion on seating? I think grandstands 1 and 2 are out due to price, but anything else should be good. I'm currently leaning towards grandstand 12.

So I might be getting tickets for Montreal today, does anyone have a suggestion on seating? I think grandstands 1 and 2 are out due to price, but anything else should be good. I'm currently leaning towards grandstand 12.

I've sat in 24, 1, and 12 before, and 12 was easily was my favorite.

Top Bottom