• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

TCRS

Banned
Well, it was expected I guess. I don't want Kimi to leave Lotus though, that is too cool a combination. Give Di Resta the fucking seat, none of the Toro Rosso drivers have shown much talent.

Well, it was expected I guess. I don't want Kimi to leave Lotus though, that is too cool a combination. Give Di Resta the fucking seat, none of the Toro Rosso drivers have shown much talent.

Lotus is barely moving on, because they have to pay Kimi that much. The combination really doesn't make much sense, other for their hip and cool image.

You'll think it's less cool next year when Lotus doesn't transition to the new regs like only the elite teams can.

AcridMeat

Banned
Expected to see Webber go, still sucks though. I'd love for him to have a new attitude towards the rest of the season that sparks him along, I'm just not sure it will happen.

moojito

I hope the powers that be in the endurance racing world take the opportunity that a big name like Webber joining will bring, and up the coverage. I'll certainly be taking more of an interest, not just during le mans.

f0rk

Early start tomorrow to get down to Silverstone, looking forward to it.
The weather looks to be a lot better than last year even if it did rain today.

Chris R

I need to see at least one or two more Webber wins. Dude is just so likable, wishing him a ton of success for the rest of this season and his future endeavors.

Shaneus

I hope the powers that be in the endurance racing world take the opportunity that a big name like Webber joining will bring, and up the coverage. I'll certainly be taking more of an interest, not just during le mans.
I think they've had a pretty big boost already from Patrick Dempsey entering (and doing a damn good job too, I have to say). But Webber effectively "coming back" I think would be a great jolt for the sport, too.

I know it's OT, but in that particular series, how many races are there a year?

Shaneus

Mark Webber's retirement decision 'was a bit short notice', says Red Bull team principal Christian Horner
Hey Horner, how's "get fucked" sound?

Actually, this sounds like a pretty good "get fucked":
One man who was not caught out was the team's Austrian billionaire owner Dietrich Mateschitz, who said he had known for some time - a sign of possible fault lines within a team divided by its drivers.

"We knew about Mark's decision for some time and I think it's a very good one with benefits for him and Porsche," Mateschitz said, adding that Webber had flown to Austria earlier in the week for talks.

Speculation linking Webber to Porsche first surfaced months ago, with the Australian quick to pour cold water on them at the time, and he validated them finally.

"The decision has been there for quite a long time for me actually. So, I've known for quite a while, I've had a plan and I've stuck to it," the 36-year-old told reporters.

"Dietrich has been completely up to speed with my thinking in the last six to eight months."
That's amazing.
k-bigpic6cswd.gif

Actually, after that... I'm 100% confident to call Dietrich and Red Bull a key sponsor of the Porsche works team next year. Pretty sure they don't have presence in that series yet.

For all my Webber slights, I'm actually looking forward to seeing him in the LMP series. I believe he'll be quite good and hope he wins a lot.

He just wasnt' a top player in F1 anymore.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Is it not even on the red button?
Wimbeldon & Glastonbury on the red channels this weekend.

The Sky F1 show last night was pretty good. Huge amount of fans turned up for it.
Brundle had good interview with Charlie Whiting.

Hammer24

Banned
Tidbits:
- another setback for RBR: FIA world council decided to not just freeze the engine under the new rules, but the whole power unit. RBR had planned on two different developments, one under Infinity, one under Renault name. This is now impossible, as the other teams feared costs to be driven up again, and FIA followed this thinking. The only areas, where changes are possible is the exhaust and the intercooler. This basically buries all of RBR´s Infinity plans. The only chance would be, if Infinity would build their own engine from scratch up.
- VET pretends he only learned yesterday of the WEB decision. (laughs all around) Says he respects the decision, and that he has no say in who´ll be his next teammate.
- RBR disrupted about WEB replacement. Dr Marko wants one of the juniors, Mateschitz wants RAI. RAI admits to be in talks, so I´d say the chances are increasing to over 90% now.
- small addendum to the RBR protest against MER: their 18page paper they sent to FIA somehow found its way into the Pitlane. Some of the interesting points: they not only protested, but even went so far as to say what they expected the judges to hand out as a fine - 162 points deduction for the team at the end of the season.

Wes

venison crêpe
If you have freeview but don't like the hassle of the red button menus and such, all red button stream are on channel 301.

At least for my non HD tv it is.

Tidbits:
- another setback for RBR: FIA world council decided to not just freeze the engine under the new rules, but the whole power unit. RBR had planned on two different developments, one under Infinity, one under Renault name. This is now impossible, as the other teams feared costs to be driven up again, and FIA followed this thinking.

Can't say I agree with this. One of the amazing things about FIAWEC is how far they're able to take the engines each year. You've already got a limit on the amount of fuel you can use, they should be able to do whatever they want within those limits.

As for costs, given there are a limited amount of engine manufacturers I can't really see how that would affect the teams directly.

Hammer24

Banned
Can't say I agree with this. One of the amazing things about FIAWEC is how far they're able to take the engines each year. You've already got a limit on the amount of fuel you can use, they should be able to do whatever they want within those limits.

As for costs, given there are a limited amount of engine manufacturers I can't really see how that would affect the teams directly.

Let me explain it a little more:
Under the rules suggested by RBR it would have been possible for the engine manufacturers, to offer different specifications of the engines for different teams. Which in the end would have meant, that the customer (read: small) teams would have gotten engines not up to par with the ones for the top teams. Don´t forget: RBR´s endgame is to drive the small teams out of business.
The homologation of the whole unit now effectively blocks this. They see it as the only way, RBR is not going to undermine the rules.
In the end, this can only be good for the sport, as especially the midtier teams now have a real chance to compete.

I don't agree with different specifications for different teams, but I do believe that there should be far more flexibility allowed with regard to engine development.

Hammer24

Banned
I don't agree with different specifications for different teams, but I do believe that there should be far more flexibility allowed with regard to engine development.

Sure, but this has nothing to do with todays ruling. Todays ruling only clarifies that the earlier decided engine development freeze goes for the whole drive train.

Shaneus

Tidbits:
- another setback for RBR: FIA world council decided to not just freeze the engine under the new rules, but the whole power unit. RBR had planned on two different developments, one under Infinity, one under Renault name. This is now impossible, as the other teams feared costs to be driven up again, and FIA followed this thinking. The only areas, where changes are possible is the exhaust and the intercooler. This basically buries all of RBR´s Infinity plans. The only chance would be, if Infinity would build their own engine from scratch up.
- VET pretends he only learned yesterday of the WEB decision. (laughs all around) Says he respects the decision, and that he has no say in who´ll be his next teammate.
- RBR disrupted about WEB replacement. Dr Marko wants one of the juniors, Mateschitz wants RAI. RAI admits to be in talks, so I´d say the chances are increasing to over 90% now.
- small addendum to the RBR protest against MER: their 18page paper they sent to FIA somehow found its way into the Pitlane. Some of the interesting points: they not only protested, but even went so far as to say what they expected the judges to hand out as a fine - 162 points deduction for the team at the end of the season.
Pretends? When would he have known? Is it possible he knew before China and that's why he was such a cunt to Webber during that race?

Hammer24

Banned
Pretends? When would he have known? Is it possible he knew before China and that's why he was such a cunt to Webber during that race?

Mateschitz himself went on record, that he knew of this decision for a couple of months already. So did a lot of people in the pits. How could he not have known?

Shaneus

Mateschitz himself went on record, that he knew of this decision for a couple of months already. So did a lot of people in the pits. How could he not have known?
From the impression I got from that article I posted, Horner was surprised by the announcement. Maybe it was just the timing of the announcement itself, not what it was an announcement of.

Hammer24

Banned
From the impression I got from that article I posted, Horner was surprised by the announcement. Maybe it was just the timing of the announcement itself, not what it was an announcement of.

There is talk that Horner and Marko actually were really surprised, which would Point to the rift within the Team to deepen.
But thats almost impossible to know for sure.

Zeppu

BBC said:
The second bit of news concerns Red Bull. Team principal Christian Horner says it will be between Kimi Raikkonen, Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne for the seat, set to be vacated by Mark Webber at the end of the season.

God I wish RBR get Kimi.

NBC just released some of the calendar for 2014 during their free practice two coverage.

First test
Jan. 16 - Jerez

Two weeks of testing at the start of Feb. either in Abu Dhabi or Bahrain, one week per track

Mach 2 - Opening Gran Prix in Bahrain

Two weeks later, Australia for round two

Four in season tests - After the four European Gran Prix. Two day test, Tuesday and Wednesday after Spain, Silverstone, Hungary, and Monza

Teams filming days have been reduced from 8 to 2.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Massa should stay for all eternity in Ferrari. He is just born to crash red car

Also, how awful is Mclaren, this is not even funny anymore. Slowly turning into Williams v2.

New penalty system for 2014:

"A penalty point system for drivers will be introduced," said an FIA statement. "If a driver accumulates more than 12 points he will be banned from the next race.

"Points will stay on the driver’s licence for 12 months. The amount of points a driver may be given for infringements will vary from one to three depending upon the severity of the offence."

And other regs for 2014 have passed:

- Mercedes is now permitted to supply engines to a maximum of four teams in 2014.

- The procedure for a driver to be given the chance to give back any advantage he may have gained by leaving the track has been adopted.

- Four two-day track tests will be allowed in-season in place of the current eight one-day promotional days and the three-day Young Driver Test.

- Track testing will now also be permitted in January 2014 in order to allow earlier testing of the new turbocharged 1.6-litre V6 engine units.

- All team personnel working on a car during a race pit-stop will be required to wear head protection, in a renewed push to improve safety levels.

- Each driver will be provided with one extra set of tyres for use only during the first 30 minutes of first practice on Friday, to encourage teams to take to the track.

- No more than one engine can be homologated by a manufacturer during the new homologation period, which will run from 2014-2020. Changes to the homologated unit will only be permitted for installation, reliability or cost saving reasons.

- Drivers must use a gearbox for six consecutive events, an increase of one.

- The pit lane speed limit has been changed to 80km/h for the whole event, except for Melbourne, Monaco and Singapore which will be limited to 60km/h.

Top Bottom