• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Ce-Lin

As a Lewis fan I'm just happy this is over and nothing like points deduction will happen.

the only reason MERC got just reprimanded and banned from young drivers' testing is Lewis Hamilton and UK audience, well I hope Lotus and Ferrari test with 2013 cars, a reprimand and YDT ban is nothing, better go for the big prize of having the best car for the Pirellis.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
It's not as good, but as always, the real test of an F1 engine is hearing it in person. You really can't properly recreate that bone vibrating cacophony with speakers.

Very true. Plus they'll sound different under load no doubt. I'm looking forward to Jerez next year either way.

Deadman

Nice to know for the other teams that if they dont like the location of the young driver test they can trade it for a proper driver test wherever they want :)

Addnan

So nothing came of it.

Mercedes are in the wrong, but nothing. lol.

Whats stoppping RBR etc just going and testing with Webber and Vettel?

Mercedes break the rules and they get banned from the young drivers test - LOL, what a fucking joke.

ca07188805043d492aee7c9b57565d10.jpg

15985285691245724444.jpg

Renault win in the looks department, I wanna see the Honda V6 turbo :(

operon

Well they bottled it big time, guess Ross is safe for the rest of the season. I presume Mercedes may have privately threatened to pull out altogether to help the decision making process

acm2000

mercedes international assistance at work

joking aside, what are the chances that the FIA let them off lightly to avoid conflict arising from the ferrari/massa secret test last year?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware

If you read through the judgement in full, you would see that FIA implied they already have.
Stewards asked Pirelli about testing: "They answered that during 2012 it was only Ferrari and this year Red Bull (sic) and Mercedes.

I did expect a tame "punishment". After all the FIA needs Mercedes and their investors already demand to skip F1 involvement - so if there would be a money penalty Mercedes would have withdrawn. Furthermore there are 4 teams that need Mercedes next season.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
This sounds like my mom's vacuum cleaner on a bad day
Not great but most engines don't sound great on the dyno, without full exhaust.
Great to see Renault give a nice technical breakdown of their new engine and its auxiliary components.

If you look through the breakdown of the decision, you'll see that it mostly hangs on the belief that Mercedes acted in good faith with regards to their intent for the test. If RBR or others turned up at the YDT test with their race drivers (or staged their own), they could hardly use the same defence.

On another note - I wonder how Charlie feels right now - having officially heard that he can only give "opinions".

This is nothing new, it's been like that for as long as I can remember, and it's often been the crux of technical and racing disagreements.

Hammer24

Banned
"A good compromise is when both parties are dissatisfied."

Yep.

So nothing came of it.

Nothing. On June 2nd Pirelli renewed their offer to have them have a test exactly like Merc did. For some reason I don´t see them take that offer...

I don´t think FIA is going to appeal the ruling - if they did, they would have to reopen the FER case, and we all know they are not going to do that.

Honda held a follow-up PC on their F1 project last week:

muramasa

- They merely started basic design of the engine now

- They expect to start running actual engine in this autumn. But it will take more time to complete and set up whole power unit.

- atm they consider testing on rigs and simulator is more suited and effective, rather than doing it on test car, as main development method.

- They're in charge of whole ERS unit. Some components like MGU-H will be developed in corporation with other supplier (cannot be named atm)

- There're some common factors b/w F1 engine and new Super Formula and SuperGT engine (direct injection turbo that will be used in the series from next year and start running soon), so there will be inter cooperation in development process on those common elements.

- Development will be done in Japan, but they're considering setting up maintenance base in Europe and evaluating candidates for it right now.

- They're consulted by Gilles Simon, getting advise on regs interpretation and exchanging updates etc. There's speculation that he's with Honda and working in R&D, but that's not the case.

- Driver selection will be done with Mclaren. Have desire for Japanese driver, but their main objective is to win, so consider drivers as one of elements that enable them to achieve the objective.

- Honda approached Mclaren after they made up their mind to return F1 (circa Feb/mar). They only talked with Mclaren.

- They aim to win as well as to continue as long as possible

- 2015 will be Mclaren only. They're considering customer supply from 2016.

- Excited about possibility and challenge of energy recovery system, and want to develop so as to feed back to consumer vehicles

- Nothing is decided on any tieup with Mclaren's road car division. Will consider if there's proposal.

- "the decision (to return to F1) has been done not by top-down fashion, but by being motivated by passion at R&D. R&D always wants to do F1, there's alot of staff who want to do F1, and their passion finally persuaded and overcome the board, sort of. You can never win by top-down, as it's always staff at the scene who work on it, develop and fight."

Hackbert

they look so badass.. but sound so boring. but i really like that design.

Did anyone of you saw Teslas Show off Stageshow with the 90 sec battery switch? I'd would be kind of interesting, to see them compete in an GT Endurance Race.

Hammer24

Banned
I´m still on the fence on that endeavor. Is that really a series fans want to watch? No engine sound at all, very artificial etc.?

moojito

The electric car speed record beaten this week stood since the 70s. I absolutely think that there's room for some competition in this area and would give this formula e thing my support.

I'd be a lot more interested if it were much more of an open series. Obviously that's an expensive proposition, but the forward push on technology is the exciting part.

I'd be a lot more interested if it were much more of an open series. Obviously that's an expensive proposition, but the forward push on technology is the exciting part.
Something like Formula E should be an open series to help push technological innovation, but I'd still love to see a high level spec series where it's the drivers, not the cars, that make the difference.

Something like Formula E should be an open series to help push technological innovation, but I'd still love to see a high level spec series where it's the drivers, not the cars, that make the difference.

That's always been a tough one. At the end of the day, manufacturers are what make high level motorsport go round. Without them (spec), you have no base from which to have a profitable series with top tier talent and top tier sponsors.

Spec works perfectly for lower formula however.

The trailer is terrible, but you can get an idea of how the cars might sound. Just keep in mind that the cars next season are going to be different ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDmagYyotNU
"For 100 years
Motor racing has been a power
A power that has changed time and space
A power for dreams and enthusiasm
A power that made the unbelievable possible"

Who wrote that crap? A game translator from the '80s?

I certainly look forward to Formula E taking off and watching it on TV, but I can't see myself ever going to a track for it. The noise (and vibrations) of the combustion engine is a huge part of the circuit-going experience.

Addnan

Webber leaving F1, going to Porsche.

Red Bull driver Mark Webber has decided to leave F1 at the end of this season.

The 36-year-old Australian is joining German company Porsche's new sportscar programme, which includes an assault on the classic Le Mans 24 Hours.

Webber had options to stay in F1, either with Red Bull or another top team, but feels it is time to move on in his career.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23074108

Top Bottom