• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Juicy Bob

Shaneus on suicide watch.

Seriously though, I'm gutted by Webber leaving, although not the least bit surprised. One of my favourite F1 drivers ever just simply by being a really good bloke. The sport's lesser off for him leaving.

Dilly

Banned
Yes, glad Webber signed with Porsche. Good to see him race in Le Mans next year in a prototype. Had more fun watching LeMans this year than F1 for the last 3 years.

At least a discipline where it's just about the racing and not all that bullshit that's there with F1. It's going to be fun not to see him stressed out.

Webber leaving F1 shouldn't surprise anyone. Even this season was a bit of a stretch for him. The best thing about him leaving is the race for the #2 seat at Red Bull now. That is, if they didn't sign Kimi already.

Shaneus

Bugger.

At least he's left on his own terms, though... can't complain about that.

Prediction: RBR will not get constructors next year, unless they can get someone like Kimi on board.

We all had a good idea he won't be at RBR next year, but leaving the sport entirely :(
Was kind of hoping he wouldn't, but to echo what Dilly said, the sport hasn't been anywhere near as exciting as it should've been and staying anywhere would've meant he'd have to bend to both team and sport rules/regulations. I bet he's itching to get into that Porsche LMP1.

Omiee

Please kimi join rbr next year.

Glad webber is gone next year. Was not getting the enjoyment out of the sport anymore as much as he would have liked i think. Porshe is going to be a good new thing for him.

Dilly

Banned
Was kind of hoping he wouldn't, but to echo what Dilly said, the sport hasn't been anywhere near as exciting as it should've been and staying anywhere would've meant he'd have to bend to both team and sport rules/regulations. I bet he's itching to get into that Porsche LMP1.

It's going to be great seeing him race around Le Mans in that LMP1 Porsche.

It's going to be an exciting battle in 2014 and onwards between Audi, Toyota and Porsche.

Hammer24

Banned
Webber leaving F1, going to Porsche.

Told you so :)

SILVERSTONE PREVIEW aka Last Call to beat RBR

To get a little hype in here, lets start the previews before the engines start for FP1.

Track Facts
track length: 5,891m
average race speed: 217 km/h
top speed: 309 km/h
highest g-force: 3,5 g
longest full throttle passage: 13 secs
breaking on a lap: 11 % (6.1 secs according to Brembo)
straights on a lap: 46 %
gear shifts per lap: 46
full throttle on a lap: 61 %
slowest part: 85 km/h (turn 4)
highest speed in a turn: 300 km/h (turn 10)
distance from grid to first corner: 420 m
gas mileage: 2,55 liters/lap; 62 liters/100km
laptime lost per 10 kgs gas in the tank: 0.39sec
tyre usage: 4/5
break usage: 1/5

Since the first GP in 1950 the track has changed its shape several times. Nonetheless the former airport is a true classic that gets fans blood boiling.
A rather gritty surface, combined with a real test of courage in the Copse-Maggots-Becketts passage will show whats in the cars and drivers.
As this years tyres, especially the front ones, deform way more in faster turns, cars will need to be setup higher on the front axle. This is the only real weakness left in this years RBR car, as they lose a lot of their fabulous downforce when setup this way.
So this could well be the last hurra for the likes of ALO and RAI to keep the championship somewhat open. The warmer the weather will be, the better their chances will be on Sunday.

Tactically the teams need to focus on KERS. The very smooth layout without hard breaking spots will make it hard to keep the energy level in the batteries on a constant level. The cooler temperatures make it harder to keep the breaks on temperature as well.

Traditionally, Silverstone is the spot where teams bring their big updates. This year, for many teams it will be the last updates they bring, as many are going to concentrate on next years new regulations. Even teams like MCL could give up on the season after this race, if they see the championship to be unwinnable for them.

Predictions:

Pole - VET
Race - FER > RBR > FOI > MER/LOT

I expect FER to put up a show. If their Spain result is going to be any indication, they´ll dominate. RBR has only small weaknesses left and will be hard on their heels. FOI will impress, this years car is a true and underappreciated winner. MER still has tyre troubles, the weather will dictate their outcome (the cooler the better). LOT is at the end of their dev sched, bringing the last updates for the year. In warmer weather they´ll be able to compete, otherwise they´ll keep falling further behind.

Gentlemen, start your engines!

A lot of people called that one. I'm personally looking forward to seeing him at Le Mans and this further justifies my trip there next year. :)

Risgroo

Going to miss Webber, but he'll probably be a lot happier driving sportscars. Still, it's going to be weird not seeing him in F1, feels like he's been around forever.

Hammer24

Banned
It will be interesting to see, if this actually gives him a boost for the remainder of the year.
I mean, there is definitely a weight off his shoulders now. And I don´t exactly see him give a rats ass for team orders the last couple of races. If he really has it in him, now´s the time to show.

Shaneus

A lot of people called that one. I'm personally looking forward to seeing him at Le Mans and this further justifies my trip there next year. :)
Fuck it, I should go as well. Going to be epic, now we know that Toyota can challenge and Porsche are back with an LMP1 car.

I have no idea how I'd go about organising it, though. I guess you need a hotel maybe? Man... shit would be amazing.

It will be interesting to see, if this actually gives him a boost for the remainder of the year.
I mean, there is definitely a weight off his shoulders now. And I don´t exactly see him give a rats ass for team orders the last couple of races. If he really has it in him, now´s the time to show.
That's a really good point. In other years, he's gone all weird when confirming his contract... now he really doesn't have to give a shit he can surely cut loose. Also helps that it's happened relatively early on in the season, means that he can have a substantial crack with a new attitude rather than only have a few races to do it in.

Give 'em hell, Aussie Grit!

I just don't see Kimi to RBR happening, more likely one of the Torro Rosso guys.

Yep, if they don't promote one of them they may as well just pack up the their junior driver program and spend the cash on mad promotional stunts. Up until they last two GP's I would have though Ricciardo was the one, but the changeable conditions has shown off his one big weakness. He is far too cautious and until he realises that he won't get a better job. F1 and racing in general is about taking risks not taking the easy/safe way out all the time.

Hammer24

Banned
Yep, if they don't promote one of them they may as well just pack up the their junior driver program and spend the cash on mad promotional stunts. Up until they last two GP's I would have though Ricciardo was the one, but the changeable conditions has shown off his one big weakness. He is far too cautious and until he realises that he won't get a better job. F1 and racing in general is about taking risks not taking the easy/safe way out all the time.

Let´s face it: the chance of RAI getting the cockpit is >80% now.
RBR has shown they´re able to put a competitive car on the track every year. But they still need top notch drivers to compete in both categories. If they take a young talent now, where would that leave them when VET goes to FER? And maybe, next years car wont be able to dominate as much as we´re used to? They could be gone from the top very quickly!

Doesn't have vettels outright pace to be an issue.

Shaneus

Hey, so I think this news justifies a thread title change. Anyone else think this is more appropriate and eye-catching?

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

That's what I thought :)

Deadman

Definitely the smartest thing about webber's move is that LMS uses rolling starts.

I hope peugeot eventually come back, having 4 constructor teams would be awesome.

duckroll

Kinda sad about Webber retiring, but I guess it's for the best. There has been too much drama with too few results from him, season after season. Wish him all the best, seems like a pretty honest dude.

Shaneus

Mark Webber: F1's 'proper bloke' will be sorely missed

Mark Webber's decision to leave Formula 1 at the end of the season puts an already endangered species on the critical list. He is a top grand prix driver who is prepared to say what he thinks.

As Lewis Hamilton puts it: "What I like about Mark is he says a lot of things that are true and he's very blunt and he says it regardless."

F1 is also losing a man who is "super-quick, one of the quickest guys on the grid", a tribute paid by McLaren sporting director Sam Michael, who worked with Webber at Williams and has since had experience of, among others, Hamilton.

Webber's combination of race-winning pace and forthright manner has made him a central figure in F1 over the last decade and, particularly, the last few years.

The 36-year-old Australian is what is known in his home country as "a proper bloke".

He makes time for journalists he respects, yet happily admits to an impatience with PR work in general.

He is a proud and committed Aussie who lives in the English home counties, eschewing various tax havens, because it has come to feel like home.

And he sees top-level sport in simple terms - as a medium for the best in the world to test themselves against each other, competing with respect, determination, integrity and total commitment.
(cont'd)
:(
Fake edit: Footage from Mark's first win, in Germany.

You can camp, or if that's a little too ghetto for you, there are these:

http://www.lemansrace.com/deptcontent/mobile-rooms-on-circuit/91/

Which I plan on using. Not cheap though.
Yeah, I reckon I'll stay there too... roomie ;)

Definitely the smartest thing about webber's move is that LMS uses rolling starts.
Not from the pits, smartarse :p

:D

Sooo, what odds do you guys give him to actually really win one this year?
I can't give any kind of answer now, but it'll be REALLY interesting to see what he can do at Silverstone, if anything. I don't think they'll be that great regardless, but it'd be nice to think that he could have a realistic shot.

PS. Thread title <3

kharma45

Let´s face it: the chance of RAI getting the cockpit is >80% now.
RBR has shown they´re able to put a competitive car on the track every year. But they still need top notch drivers to compete in both categories. If they take a young talent now, where would that leave them when VET goes to FER? And maybe, next years car wont be able to dominate as much as we´re used to? They could be gone from the top very quickly!

If Vettel went to Ferrari in 2015 I don't think RBR, so long as they continue to be a top team, will have any problems attracting a top driver.

Hammer24

Banned
If Vettel went to Ferrari in 2015 I don't think RBR, so long as they continue to be a top team, will have any problems attracting a top driver.

But that's two catches right there.
Will a top driver be available and not contractually bound?
And will they really be a top team next year?

I´m VERY cautious on both counts. The other teams aren´t dumb. If the situation will be like that, they´ll all scramble to extend the contracts of their top talent.
And from every rumor and gossip it seems that from next year on, when we see a more engine rather than car dominated sport, Merc will set the standard.

Addnan

IN7d8lz.jpg

Great move by Mark. It's a tremendous opportunity for him. Heading Porsche's Le Mans program is the absolute very best job there is in sportscar racing. None better. Beats the hell out of treading water in F1, that's for sure.

In other, more interesting news: Alonso's beard this weekend is pretty fabulous.

Aaaaaaand:

"Raikkonen on his links with Red Bull: "I was drinking Red Bull when I was in Ferrari." So now you know."

Dave_6

I hope peugeot eventually come back, having 4 constructor teams would be awesome.

It was mentioned during the last couple hours of the Speed broadcast that Nissan is aiming for a return to LMP1 in 2015. Color me excited!

Top Bottom