• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Also, loose tyre incident is on Youtube. Unfortunate cameraman was trailing Lotus and he got quite lucky that tyre missed his head. He could be killed. This also raises some question about cameraman and journalist protection in pitlane. Like in Le Mans, where they must wear racing suits with security vest and bicycle helmet.

Yes, it was a bit disconcerting to see that camera man standing completly unprotected in the pit lane.

cilonen

Just got back from the track. Can heartily recommend the German GP to anyone, fantastically organised (even to the point that German police were closing down roads one way so as to have better traffic flow).

Enjoyed the race, was exciting right until the end, though I suspect that had a lot to do with the safety car. Really looking forward to seeing the highlights. Managed to get onto the grid pretty easily after the race and managed to see Lauda and Damon Hill, which was cool. Horner wandered past at one point looking surprisingly miserable given they'd just won. Bit disappointed not to see the BBC lot though.

Fantastic weekend. :)

Good to hear! I was at Silverstone last weekend, that was fantastic too :) I do fancy the German GP - I'd want to do it at the 'ring though - I wont support Hockenheim after they butchered it.

Got to do Spa and Le Mans one day too :)

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Yes, it was a bit disconcerting to see that camera man standing completly unprotected in the pit lane.
From what I was reading up on that incident is that there were 2 cameramen in pitlane.
The first drops his camera and jumps out of the way of the tyre; Webber's tyre then hits the camera, jumps into the air and hits the 2nd cameraman in the back.

Once again Ricciardo does a great qualify and then goes backwards in the race.

mediocre race driver, he's not good enough for redbull and he'll be lucky to be still in a toro rosso next season with da costa in the wings.

i think he's done if he can't get a williams or force india seat for 2014.

Xun

I know the result, so is it worth watching the race? I missed it due to the tennis.

Awful to hear about the cameraman, the poor guy.

Lach

So Peter Sauber gave an interview on swiss tv yesterday evening and confirmed the team is in a dire financial situation.

There are outstanding payments to suppliers that can not be paid on time, though most of of the suppliers show some understanding (especially as Sauber has avoided to lay off staff so far). He denied that they ever failed to pay any wages on time.

He also mentioned that they have quite a few (possible) improvements of the car planned at the factory, that they just cannot afford to implement. He also said that there aren't any securities that they can finish the season.

He also critized Ecclestone that too much money earned by Formula One flows away to the Formula One Group. They also showed a clip of Ecclestone saying that he could simply sell the team.

The sponsor negotiations (rumored to be Gazprom) are still some time off and might be done earliest by the end of the month...

pants

7GNuYul.png

uvdwgbS.png

37Duf5Y.png

John_B

Mercedes back to wrestling the tyres.

The Vettel Red Bull garage looks like a different team compared to the Webber Red Bull garage. How much of that is on the drivers is speculation, it just seems like team Vettel manages to avoid the pitfalls nearly every weekend.

Dead Man

So Peter Sauber gave an interview on swiss tv yesterday evening and confirmed the team is in a dire financial situation.

There are outstanding payments to suppliers that can not be paid on time, though most of of the suppliers show some understanding (especially as Sauber has avoided to lay off staff so far). He denied that they ever failed to pay any wages on time.

He also mentioned that they have quite a few (possible) improvements of the car planned at the factory, that they just cannot afford to implement. He also said that there aren't any securities that they can finish the season.

He also critized Ecclestone that too much money earned by Formula One flows away to the Formula One Group. They also showed a clip of Ecclestone saying that he could simply sell the team.

The sponsor negotiations (rumored to be Gazprom) are still some time off and might be done earliest by the end of the month...
That is one of the biggest problems. All the TV money should go to the teams, equally.
Vettel has the season in the bag anyway, maybe those last few races won't matter anymore.

But, yeah, it's stupid to have yet another three week break before the "big" summer break which is only a week longer, followed by all those crappy races. They don't need to mix those in though but get rid of them and give us a few more races in Europe. Not that it's gonna happen.
Yeah, schedule this year is stupid. Just make a race every fortnight with a 3-4 week gap in the middle if you aren't getting paid enough to work every day.

Lach

Nico Hülkenberg has announced yesterday that he'll leave Sauber at the end of the year. With the uncertainty hanging over the team's future it's probably the right choice. Though I find it weird he's already announcing it before actually getting into another team.

It'll be hard to find a seat in another team atm. All i can think of is Ferrari if Massa's leaving or Lotus if Kimi goes to Red Bull. I doubt he'd sign with Williams or the bottom two as their having the same problems as Sauber....

Dead Man

Nico Hülkenberg has announced yesterday that he'll leave Sauber at the end of the year. With the uncertainty hanging over the team's future it's probably the right choice. Though I find it weird he's already announcing it before actually getting into another team.

It'll be hard to find a seat in another team atm. All i can think of is Ferrari if Massa's leaving or Lotus if Kimi goes to Red Bull. I doubt he'd sign with Williams or the bottom two as their having the same problems as Sauber....

Ferrari would be stupid not to nab him... so expect him to unemployed at the end of the year.

Nicktendo86

That is one of the biggest problems. All the TV money should go to the teams, equally.

Bernie did a lot to make the sport as big as it is now but some of the money grabbing idiotic things he has done is now hurting the sport in a big way and he needs to fuck off now.

DBT85

Wow....Mercedes trying to get back in on the tyre test, hope they get knocked back

Horner and Wax Free Vanilla will go nuts if they are allowed in.

Wolff is saying that since they are new tyres introduced for safety (and IIRC not the same construction as they tested) that they could probably get some running.

Brawn suggested though that they would only maybe get some running if the test went to 4 days, since their ban was for three. Only Ferrari want 4 days testing.

Addnan

If Ferrari are too stupid to take Hulkenberg at the end of the season it will be a big loss for them. Lotus should snap him up if Ferrari can't make such an easy decision.

He's announced it now as, the rumour is, he's out of contract with Sauber already due to non-payment. So if someone wants to offer him a seat now, he's free to move.

I imagine both Lotus and Ferrari are likely the most interested parties, and I could see Lotus booting Grosjean early to make a play for him. I doubt Ferrari would do that with Massa though.

dubc35

I thought I heard something about Hulk moving in the race yesterday but I was busy with other things. I'd like to see him at Ferrari or Lotus.

Yeah, schedule this year is stupid. Just make a race every fortnight with a 3-4 week gap in the middle if you aren't getting paid enough to work every day.

but. but, but....Bernie needs more money. I agree with you, should be split amongst teams equally, or the vast majority should be split between the teams with some going to FOM.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
They might get one day running with the "young drivers" part of the 3 day test.

Just half of last day with young driver and 2 sets of tyres, only to get some idea about new compound. Race drivers will only test for one day and not for all three. And probably it will be raining like crazy on that day :D

I'm sure Ferrari are reading the fine print on what qualifies as a "young driver" right now.

If the loophole is there, it would be really tempting to instruct Hulkenberg to quit Sauber immediately, excluding him from being a current race driver and allowing him to do the 3 day test. Hire him to replace Massa afterwards.

I'm sure Ferrari are reading the fine print on what qualifies as a "young driver" right now.

If the loophole is there, it would be really tempting to instruct Hulkenberg to quit Sauber immediately, excluding him from being a current race driver and allowing him to do the 3 day test. Hire him to replace Massa afterwards.

Pretty sure it's anyone that has competed in less than two F1 races.

Sloane

Banned
I doubt he'd sign with Williams or the bottom two as their having the same problems as Sauber....
I'm wondering who will still be around in two years or so. Hasn't Sauber always been one of the best / most carefully managed teams in F1? Guess it's time for a third and fourth Red Bull team.

I'm wondering who will still be around in two years or so. Hasn't Sauber always been one of the best / most carefully managed teams in F1? Guess it's time for a third and fourth Red Bull team.

Ever since BMW pulled out they've been struggling for cash.

As it is, Marussia are likely on their way out unless another team folds first. Caterham and Force India have been close to collapse, and Williams would be fucked without PDVSA's money - although they're the only one of those teams likely to get a handout from Bernie if the shit hits the fan.

Massa

Did Codemasters announce their F1 game already? I just found this forum thread promising something in June but doesn't look like that happened... maybe contract problems with Bernie? Or maybe they're just delaying the unveil for the benefit of GRID 2.

Addnan

Did Codemasters announce their F1 game already? I just found this forum thread promising something in June but doesn't look like that happened... maybe contract problems with Bernie? Or maybe they're just delaying the unveil for the benefit of GRID 2.
They didn't do a big reveal or anything, but they have talked about it on twitter and stuff.

We can hope for a cancellation and a loss of license though :D

Zeppu

What a silly thing to say. I'm assuming it was right after the incident?

Yeah during the commentary. It was pretty much the first report to come out after we saw the accident on screen. It was a relief that he wasn't in a grave or life threatening condition and allowed me to continue enjoying the race, but yes, 'basically okay' was a bit of an understatement.

Yeah during the commentary. It was pretty much the first report to come out after we saw the accident on screen. It was a relief that he wasn't in a grave or life threatening condition and allowed me to continue enjoying the race, but yes, 'basically okay' was a bit of an understatement.

I wouldn't say so. It would appear that the camera man has suffered no injury that he won't fully recover from. As far as I'm concerned, "basically OK" is a fair assessment of that - especially given that a fatal injury was a rational expectation in those circumstances.

But who knows what information Edwards had to go on at the time.

Massa

All TV cameras will film from the pit wall from now on.

And Webber will use the Toro Rosso team for pit stops.

I wouldn't say so. It would appear that the camera man has suffered no injury that he won't fully recover from. As far as I'm concerned, "basically OK" is a fair assessment of that - especially given that a fatal injury was a rational expectation in those circumstances.

But who knows what information Edwards had to go on at the time.

In local TV here they actually interviewed the doctor as they were carrying the camera man and "basically OK" were practically his words.

They didn't do a big reveal or anything, but they have talked about it on twitter and stuff.

We can hope for a cancellation and a loss of license though :D

If that happened we wouldn't have another game until PS5 came around. :(

Top Bottom