• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Are you talking about general admission? I only go for grandstands as I really don't want to travel all that way and then have to fight for a view.

NHale

They didn't do a big reveal or anything, but they have talked about it on twitter and stuff.

We can hope for a cancellation and a loss of license though :D

Well T4RG4 was saying on twitter that anyone that liked F1 2012 will love F1 2013. We are in for a treat, fo sure.

Shaneus

Did Codemasters announce their F1 game already? I just found this forum thread promising something in June but doesn't look like that happened... maybe contract problems with Bernie? Or maybe they're just delaying the unveil for the benefit of GRID 2.
Oh god, I cannot wait to see what a clusterfuck of a release it is. Prediction: Barely more than a service pack and roster update to 2012, will dumb down and remove features while screwing up wheel control even more. Fuck tyre wear scaling! Woo!

What's the bet that it'll be as representative of F1 as GRID/2 is to touring cars. Why couldn't we just get a TOCA-fied F1 game, for fuck's sake?

I'll just save myself the time and download a 2013 fan mod for 2011.

Well T4RG4 was saying on twitter that anyone that liked F1 2012 will love F1 2013. We are in for a treat, fo sure.
No-one will love 2013. You heard it here first, folks.

DBT85

Scarbs posted a 2014 preview including the rules and a sketch of what a car could look like.

http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2013/07/08/2014-rules-first-look/

8 forward gears, ratios fixed for the whole season
smaller front wing
lower nose (tip only 18cm off the floor)
no lower beam wing at the rear
shallower rear wing
single fat exhaust pipe exiting 18cm beyond the rear axle and between 30 and 55cm high, no bodywork rear of the exhaust axis.

With no blown diffusers, smaller front wings and less df from the rear wing, the cars are going to be car more skittish :D

Septimius

Scarbs posted a 2014 preview including the rules and a sketch of what a car could look like.

smaller front wing
shallower rear wing
single fat exhaust pipe exiting 18cm beyond the rear axle and between 30 and 55cm high, no bodywork rear of the exhaust axis.

With no blown diffusers, smaller front wings and less df from the rear wing, the cars are going to be car more skittish :D

Fixed gear ratios? Da fuq.

Shaneus

There's a press day for the new game soon. Any other F1 GAFfers going?
I hope so, I want someone to ask how many patches they expect to release for this one.

July 15th is the reveal of F12013. Hurray?
Bahahaha. I bet it still takes them another three or four months to "complete" it, which just includes 3.5 months of T4RG4 promoting it and two weeks deciding which bugs to leave in for the first patch to rectify.

PS. I found an exclusive scan of the cover:
A1IIf2Ql.jpg

hahaha well that's sealed my decision before even seeing the game.
Good man.

smaller front wing
shallower rear wing

Fixed gear ratios for the whole season? That's fucking *massive*, I had no idea. So they have to decide them at the start, or are they the same across all teams?
PS. Will be interesting to see how Vettel adapts to something that as you've said, will have less DF in general. I remember quite clearly that when the rear diffusers were banned he took quite a while to come to grips with the car... can't remember what year that was, maybe 2010?

smaller front wing
shallower rear wing

8 gears, all at fixed ratios D: ?

Even smaller wings?

So basically we're getting GP2 without all the crazy drivers (An argument could be made for Maldonado and Grosjean).

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Scarbs has another article up on Autosport, same info as he has in his own blog but with a few additions:

Following recent tyre problems, the FIA has inserted a line into the regulations that allows it to change the tyre specification without notice or delay.
Many teams have exploited the front-mounted FIA camera pods for aerodynamic benefit, often fitting them just behind the middle section of front wing.

This practice has now been outlawed by mandating the front cameras to be between 325-525mm above the floor.

Car will see a massive loss in downforce and aero grip. Its going to be HP/fuel consumption and mechanical grip that will be the key next year.
You can see why Newey isn't keen on the new regulations.
Mercedes and Lotus with their FRIC systems will be at an advantage.

DBT85

Fixed gear ratios? Da fuq.

Fixed gear ratios for the whole season? That's fucking *massive*, I had no idea. So they have to decide them at the start, or are they the same across all teams?
PS. Will be interesting to see how Vettel adapts to something that as you've said, will have less DF in general. I remember quite clearly that when the rear diffusers were banned he took quite a while to come to grips with the car... can't remember what year that was, maybe 2010?

Each team can pick each gear ratio set for it's drivers at the start of the season. They are then locked in to that for the whole season. Don't forget that with the ERS and the turbos, the cars are going to have more torque throughout the rev range compared to todays cars.Tracks like Monaco are outliers so they'll focus more on the rest of the races. 8th will be plenty long to prevent them getting stuck in the limiter at the low DF races with the DRS open.

Scarbs said the teams will have done lots of simlulations to get the best ratios for the whole season.

8 gears, all at fixed ratios D: ?

Even smaller wings?

So basically we're getting GP2 without all the crazy drivers (An argument could be made for Maldonado and Grosjean).

As scarbs said in the comments

Or rather loads more torque and similar peak HP power (via engine and ERS) as we have currently for a third less fuel. This is 21st century F1 for the current economic age.

Car will see a massive loss in downforce and aero grip. Its going to be HP/fuel consumption and mechanical grip that will be the key next year.
You can see why Newey isn't keen on the new regulations.
Mercedes and Lotus with their FRIC systems will be at an advantage.

Not only that, any team that doens't have a reliable ERS system is fucked. 160bhp comes from that system for 33 seconds a lap. If someone had Webbers canny luck with KERS then they would really struggle.

amar212

Without even going into *deeper* things, the MAIN CONCERN should be making the linearity for wheels NORMAL.

I am lucky to have Fanatec wheels where I can manually adjust the linearity and steering degrees indepenetly of the game (on consoles naturally), but 95% of people outthere with Logitech wheels are screwed.

F12012 patch for steering didn't solve linearity issues because 320/330 setup is still superior to 270.

Add all other problems now.

There's a press day for the new game soon. Any other F1 GAFfers going?

Interesting, what is the date? I guess Team VVV will be there, looking forward to his impressions.

What am I mostly interested in is next-gen PS4 version of the game which I will buy nontheless of anything if 60fps will be standardized.

Addnan

I decided to read what some reviews said about F12012.

"Unparalleled authenticity."

"Sophisticated racing sim." <-- That one made me laugh

Zeppu

So this weekend I got the pleasant surprise that one of our local TV providers not only airs all races live in HD but every race has BBC commentary to go with it. We're even better than the UK! No pre/post coverage tough.

DBT85

So this weekend I got the pleasant surprise that one of our local TV providers not only airs all races live in HD but every race has BBC commentary to go with it. We're even better than the UK! No pre/post coverage tough.

Yeah the BBC do a live World feed that broadcasters can take. No preamble or anything and nothing after the driver interviews on the podium.

We broadcast it to some airlines and cruise ships.

NHale

I decided to read what some reviews said about F12012.

"Unparalleled authenticity."

"Sophisticated racing sim." <-- That one made me laugh

The problem with reviews is that they play with controllers. And for controller users, F1 2012 is by far the best game made by Codemasters because you can actually drive the car with some precision unlike previous games.

Unfortunately, the game is borderline unplayable to the large majority of people that use wheels. I'm not convinced that they didn't do it on prupose after the constant whining from controller users about people with wheels being faster than them online...

I'd be surprised if 2013 gets next gen versions. That team struggle enough as it is putting it out on three platforms.

Prepare to be surprised. T4RG4 was joking the other day that during their "always fantastic" afternoon races on the studio, the AI was so good that it looked like real people, to which he said on a tweet "maybe someone turned on the Cloud"...

I'm ready for Drivatar Massa Edition in F1 2013.

Juicy Bob

Interesting, what is the date? I guess Team VVV will be there, looking forward to his impressions.

What am I mostly interested in is next-gen PS4 version of the game which I will buy nontheless of anything if 60fps will be standardized.
Thursday. I'll be there, so I'll try and find out as much as I can and give you guys a proper impression.

dubc35

re: gear ratios:

scarbsf1 said:
scarbsf1 on July 9, 2013 at 9:27 am said:

I imagine the teams have done extensive simulation of all tracks to find the best compromise, no doubt it will have accommodate &#8216;Tilkedromes&#8217;, but may be Monaco and Monza are the odder tracks.

hmm, no more platypus nose but not sure about the drooping nose either.

scarbsf1 said:

Prepare to be surprised. T4RG4 was joking the other day that during their "always fantastic" afternoon races on the studio, the AI was so good that it looked like real people, to which he said on a tweet "maybe someone turned on the Cloud"...

I'm ready for Drivatar Massa Edition in F1 2013.

In that case, I imagine we'll get an "Unparalleled clusterfuck."

Septimius

8 gears is probably the biggest "wuuuuut" to me. 7 is just such a magical number, and I associate 7 gears with F1. With 8, it's really, really strange. I guess I'll get used to it, even with simulation when it catches up, but it's really a big change. And the fixed ratios. I'm so accustomed spending a few hours getting to know a new track, finding ratios, and looking at youtube videos of Schumacher to see how he had it.

I guess that's gone.

Jezbollah

8 gears is probably the biggest "wuuuuut" to me. 7 is just such a magical number, and I associate 7 gears with F1. With 8, it's really, really strange. I guess I'll get used to it, even with simulation when it catches up, but it's really a big change. And the fixed ratios. I'm so accustomed spending a few hours getting to know a new track, finding ratios, and looking at youtube videos of Schumacher to see how he had it.

I guess that's gone.

8 shorter ratio gears allow for fewer gears to be used at Monaco (ie 1-6/7) but still use the top gear for Monza.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
And do not forget about engines. They will play the main role next year. Mercedes vs Renault vs Ferrari.

Leunam

Am I the only person that thinks next years nose looks uglier than the step nose on say a Lotus.

Depends on the team. Teams with a lower front bulkhead than others (McLaren) might look better than teams that had to resort to the platypus nose (everyone else).

I'm not sure what's the point of fixed gear ratio is.
It doesn't save money and it gives the team and drivers less options to pull out the best of the cars.

But yeah, businessmen in charge of making the F1 "more interesting".

Leunam

Gorgeous.

Also:

FIA Reinforces F1 Safety

In order to reduce the risk of similar accidents in the future, the FIA, on the initiative of its President, Jean Todt, will be seeking to make changes to the Formula One Sporting Regulations. In order to effect this, the FIA today informed teams that the approval of the World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) will immediately be sought for two changes to the Sporting Regulations. Both of these changes have already been approved for 2014. However, for safety reasons, the WMSC will be asked to approve their immediate implementation. The changes are:

1) Article 23.11*, which will now require all team personnel working on a car during a pit stop to wear head protection.

2) Article 30.12**, which will provide for a reduction of the pit lane speed limit during races from 100km/h to 80km/h (with the exception of Melbourne, Monaco and Singapore, where due to track configuration the limit remains at 60km/h).

Finally, in relation to the incident at the German Grand Prix, the FIA is expecting a written report from Red Bull Racing tomorrow. This will also be shared with the other teams in order to help improve pit lane safety.

Top Bottom