• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I was trying to say that Vettel is having difficulties preparing such overtakes as Lewis did today (how he passed Button with barely warm tires). Superior car up or down.

Can't wait for interviews with Stefano "Stay calm" Domenicalli. Probably he will talk how they will fix the windtunnel (they are fixing it for 2 years now), but it looks like that they are in serious trouble with their R&D and this could last into 2014....

Adamm

Well, Hamilton had a fast car with an incredible mechanical grip today. The overtake against Webber is only possible if the car delievers superior grip.

I wasn't really trying to make a valid argument :p
I was just pointing out that these arguments just go round in circles :)

Korez

Hungarian GP
2007 : Lewis P1, Kimi P2.
2009: Lewis P1, Kimi P2.
2012: Lewis P1, Kimi P2.
2013: Lewis P1, Kimi P2.
Hold on a minute..

1002554_10153096128080515_736187885_n.jpg

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Would that be a car or software issue? You can try to enable it when out of 1 second range but it shouldn't open the flap.
Isn't DRS driver operated? Light is on when he is in range so he can deploy it right after the line?

Maybe they hacked it /tinfoil hat mode on

_machine

Why am I not surprised that Vettel had even remarked about not being left room to overtake to Kimi on the podium. For such a great driver he does whine endlessly when something does not go his way. This time for absolutely no reason as he wasn't even close to getting past Kimi.

That Alonso DRS thing seems very weird so I'm guessing something bugged out with the DRS detection software.

Addnan

Yeah, if the software is working it shouldn't be possible to use DRS. That is odd.

Also Massa has said he doesn't feel Grosjean should have been given a drive through for overtaking him at turn 4.

Race was so-so.

Surprised that Alonso only managed 5th, looks like their championship fight is really toast at this point, which is a bit of a bugger as Vettel again managed to extend his lead by finishing only 3rd.

Hopefully Mercedes manage to stick with it, as they're starting to look like the only real threat, unless Lotus can luck a law of averages victory.

Addnan

What a joke. lol

But maybe he gained nothing from that?

but why penalise the team? it's the driver who made a doodoo right?

No, driver has no control. Team forgot to change setting from quali to race and so he was getting beeps telling him to use DRS even when he wasn't within 1 second. He used it 3 times like that. Once they realised what was happening they manually instructed him.

Well, Massa rooting for stricter penalties would be like shooting himself in the foot...

I always thought drivers could only use DRS when it was automatically activated.

lol. But IIRC when Vettel was penalised for his overtake on Button last year, they clearly said that he had 4 tyres off-track and gained advantage!

Does anyone know why Kimi stopped his car at the exit of the pit lane?

Well, Massa rooting for stricter penalties would be like shooting himself in the foot...

I always thought drivers could only use DRS when it was automatically activated.

No, driver has no control. Team forgot to change setting from quali to race and so he was getting beeps telling him to use DRS even when he wasn't within 1 second. He used it 3 times like that. Once they realised what was happening they manually instructed him.

Fair enough then, but the amount should be relative to the team I'd say.. getting away with it by paying this amount is setting the wrong precedent I'd say..

What a joke. lol

But maybe he gained nothing from that?

but why penalise the team? it's the driver who made a doodoo right?

how the hell would the driver know if he is exactly 1s behind the car in front or less? it's a problem with the drs software or timing software that gives the gap to the drs thing. obviously not his fault. I don't understand why it would be ferraris fault either. do the teams make the drs or timing softwares themselves?

also the penalties on grosjean. fucking hell. so god damn idiotic. f1 is a joke.

Igo

I would guess it had something to do with saving the engine. I wonder if they turned it up for those last few laps to keep him ahead of Seb.

cmr-94

Question: Why did grosjean get a penalty for overtaking massa off the track and not for colliding with button? + the button incident was first

Addnan

Question: Why did grosjean get a penalty for overtaking massa off the track and not for colliding with button? + the button incident was first
He did get a penalty. 20 seconds after the race, made no difference to result.

The Massa incidence annoys me because the rule says you can't go off the track if you gain an advantage. Not just overtaking. Vettel was taking all four wheels off the track to get more speed out of that corner to catch up to Raikkonen and nothing is done. There is no consistency in how that rule is applied.

Chris R

Alonso would be a fool to jump. He has seen how RBR has screwed Webber right? And who knows, maybe Ferrari has a killer setup ready for '14.

Top Bottom