• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Addnan

Yeah. He needs to give 2014 a chance. It's a big rule overhaul, Ferrari could get better. He can get a drive in RBR any time he wants.

Ark

Did I miss the 'Vettel can't overtake' argument again?

Because anyone that thinks Vettel can't overtake is sorely mistaken, and quite frankly blind.

This is true. But even then, Mercedes have definitely improved over last year... I thought they would've been lucky to get similar results as 2012.

I know I'm a few pages late, but I've been saying Mercedes would be a competitive team for a long time now. They've been improving their car performance year on year and not to mention the amount of personnel they've been hiring since Brawn had to downsize so drastically in 2009. 2012's Silly Season was just the most public moves that they've made.

Dead Man

He did get a penalty. 20 seconds after the race, made no difference to result.

The Massa incidence annoys me because the rule says you can't go off the track if you gain an advantage. Not just overtaking. Vettel was taking all four wheels off the track to get more speed out of that corner to catch up to Raikkonen and nothing is done. There is no consistency in how that rule is applied.

Not forgetting Massa drove to the edge of the track with Crashjean next to him as well.

That clapping is weird.

That clapping was very weird. I did not like it.

Did I miss the 'Vettel can't overtake' argument again?

Because anyone that thinks Vettel can't overtake is sorely mistaken, and quite frankly blind.

Can we say ha can't overtake quite often when it is really important?

Shaneus

I know I'm a few pages late, but I've been saying Mercedes would be a competitive team for a long time now. They've been improving their car performance year on year and not to mention the amount of personnel they've been hiring since Brawn had to downsize so drastically in 2009. 2012's Silly Season was just the most public moves that they've made.
The way you wrote that, it makes it sound like you were saying "Mercedes will be competitive next year, honest!" for the last umpteen years ;)

Pimpwerx

Yay! Lewis pops his Merc cherry...finally. It's so weird how he's 40 points clear of Nico, but he's trailing in wins 2-1. Just some bad luck this season.

It looks like he's gotten adjusted to the car now. He's put together a string of good performances compared to Nico and drove a great race today. He stayed out of range of Seb in his first stint, conserved tires intelligently in his second stint despite having to pass Button, who held up Seb. He also put a hard wheel to Webber when he knew he had to, in order to preserve his win. Great drive, and I'm happy for my dude. Hopefully today's tire wear is a good sign for Merc the rest of the season, and going forward. A fast car that doesn't destroy its tires? Lewis has to be pretty well chuffed right now. PEACE.

EDIT: Am I the only American who misses Peter Windsor in the pits and grid? Will Buxton is a nice guy and all, but he doesn't have the respect of the big wigs in pit lane. Bernie gave him some terrible replies, whereas Windsor could always get good interviews. He was probably one of the most respected media guys, seeing as he also did the post race pressers.

Pimpwerx

I'm not Vettel fan, but I respect his talent. He couldn't get around Button today due to the Merc engine. He was doing all he could IMO. I used to think he was a poor overtaker, but he's pulled off some slick moves the last two seasons. I can't hate. PEACE.

Sloane

Banned
Yeah. He needs to give 2014 a chance. It's a big rule overhaul, Ferrari could get better. He can get a drive in RBR any time he wants.
Depends on RBR would go with instead. I doubt they'd get rid of, say, Kimi for Alonso or even Ricciardo, if he had a good season. 2014 might be Alonso's only chance.

And, yes, next year might shake things up but it in the end it will be Red Bull again who has the most money for dev etc. -- unless they fuck up completely in the beginning, they will win next season, too.

John_B

It could be a walk into a lion's den for Alonso, but given his status, I'm sure the garage would not be split into gold and shit like it is now.

It's probably just Horner and Alonso using each other to put pressure on their own teams. Horner probably wants to put Raikkonen in his other seat, and Alonso wants Ferrari to step it up.

Did Vettel get some veto power put in his latest contract? It seems absolutely crazy that Vettel would have anything to say about who gets to drive for Red Bull.

Lach

Yesterday the Red Bull had a obvious problem with the temperatures. Driving behind another car made the motor too hot and Vettel had to back off at least twice to cool off (once Button and Raikonnen at the end). My guess would be that the car is heavily "optmized" to run in the lead.

Not forgetting Massa drove to the edge of the track with Crashjean next to him as well.

That clapping was very weird. I did not like it.

Sometimes you can't overtake if the other driver doesn't make a mistake. Just ask the Lotus drivers about the race in Germany.

And the definition of "really important" would be interesting.

_machine

Alonso in RBR would be interesting to see, he is no doubt one of the fastest guys on the grid and I'd think he would be the best driver to beat Vettel on his own ground (In fact, I think he might dominate him if doesn't have all those tire and kers problems...). Would be interesting to have the two biggest crybabies on the same team and I can definitely see their ego's conflicting.

It could be a walk into a lion's den for Alonso, but given his status, I'm sure the garage would not be split into gold and shit like it is now.

It's probably just Horner and Alonso using each other to put pressure on their own teams. Horner probably wants to put Raikkonen in his other seat, and Alonso wants Ferrari to step it up.

Did Vettel get some veto power put in his latest contract? It seems absolutely crazy that Vettel would have anything to say about who gets to drive for Red Bull.

That's how I see it. Same when Ferrari talked about signing Seb last year.

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali believes Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel could drive as team-mates without problems.

His comments come after it was revealed that Vettel, the 2010 and 2011 world champion, has a pre-contract with Ferrari for 2014.
Domenicali said: "I think they are both intelligent guys and they could easily co-exist together."
F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone claims the arrangement "wouldn't be a problem".
Domenicali and Ecclestone were interviewed by German magazine Sport Bild, and Ferrari published extracts on their website.

Ecclestone said: "All drivers want to drive for Ferrari at least once in their career, don't they?"

Domenicali responded: "In life one should never say never!"
Their remarks, as well as Ferrari's decision to highlight them, will add weight to claims that Vettel could join Alonso at Ferrari in 2014.
BBC Sport reported last month that Vettel had a pre-contract with Ferrari, believed to be two-way and performance-related.

Dilly

Banned
Alonso switches with Vettel when Red Bull is on it's way back and Ferrari gets their shit back together with Allison.

Vettel will be seen as godchild once again for getting Ferrari on track and wins more championships.

Alonso switches with Vettel when Red Bull is on it's way back and Ferrari gets their shit back together with Allison.

Vettel will be seen as godchild once again for getting Ferrari on track and wins more championships.

If that's what it takes for Ferrari to win championships again, then so be it. They could hire a monkey as a driver, for all I care, as long as he wins races. Not that it worked with Massa.

Kworn

Banned
Asked if he would like Alonso as a team mate next year Vettel said:

“Nothing against Fernando, I really respect him a lot as a driver but I think I respect Kimi on-track, off-track, because he’s always been very straight with me and from that point of view it might be a bit easier.”

Vettel would shit himself if Alonso Joined

Ark

Can we say he can't overtake quite often when it is really important?

Alonso, Hamilton, Raikkonen; they've all been in similar situations where they couldn't make an important overtake and they've all (including Vettel) performed some amazing important overtakes.

The way you wrote that, it makes it sound like you were saying "Mercedes will be competitive next year, honest!" for the last umpteen years ;)

That's basically what I've been saying :p

To be fair though, they have been improving year on year.

Today's Alonso's birthday and Ferrari posted some stats.

This is Fernando’s fourth season with Scuderia Ferrari, for whom he has driven in 68 Grands Prix, winning 11, starting four times from pole position and setting seven fastest race laps. He has been on the podium 38 times and in the points 61 times, for a total of 920 points. At the wheel of a Maranello Formula 1 car, Fernando has covered a total of 18,625,937 racing kilometres, 2,555,464 of them in the lead.

They forgot to add "and not a single championship".

kharma45

Sadly not soon enough for Schumacher.

Yeah it is a shame things didn't fall together with the car earlier for him or if he had stayed on for another year, would have been great to see him in a competitive car that could actually challenge up front for more than just a few races.

Shaneus

Asked if he would like Alonso as a team mate next year Vettel said:

“Nothing against Fernando, I really respect him a lot as a driver but I think I respect Kimi on-track, off-track, because he’s always been very straight with me and from that point of view it might be a bit easier.”

Vettel would shit himself if Alonso Joined
I just realised that Kimi and Vettel are polar opposites when it comes to post-race interviews. Be funny if they were in the same team.

As much as I love Ricciardo, I don't think he's ready for RBR yet. If Kimi or Nando are a chance for RBR then at least give us one season where either of them and Vettel are in the same car.

kharma45

I can't see Ricciardo not getting that RBR seat. He seems to have impresssed at the YDT and is consistently dragging good performances out of the Torro Rosso.

Shaneus

I can't see Ricciardo not getting that RBR seat. He seems to have impresssed at the YDT and is consistently dragging good performances out of the Torro Rosso.
He'll get it eventually, I just don't think 2014 will be his year for it. Obviously kinda hope he doesn't get it as well for the reason I mentioned earlier, but he really hasn't been convincing enough this year IMO (though he seems to be better, or at least more visible than Vergne thus far).

Lach

Yeah Buemi said on Saturday that he's quite sure that Ricciardo will get the seat. To me it seems that Raikönnen and Alonso seem to do this mostly for leverage in the negotiation with their own teams.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Looks like India GP is dead after this year with tax reasons being the big stumbling block.
Indian government want 1/19th of revenue, not profits, from each team and FOM.

navanman

More on Michelin returning to F1 and Pirelli tyre changes for 2014:
Michelin’s interest in returning to F1 is genuine, sources close to the FIA have confirmed to this writer.

While it’s long been assumed that Pirelli will remain as sole supplier in 2014, and has made commercial arrangements with both teams and Bernie Ecclestone, the bottom line is that it has not yet signed a deal with the FIA.
The other key issue is that Bernie Ecclestone is close to Pirelli and is more than happy with the lucrative ongoing commercial deal that he has with the Italian company. Meanwhile it’s no secret that Jean Todt is close to Michelin.
Meanwhile Pirelli is pushing for a change of rear tyre sizes for 2014 as it continues to learn more from the teams about the new car/engine packages, in terms of the expected downforce levels and the loads put through the tyres.

In essence Pirelli wants a bigger contact patch, which could be achieved by a combination of diameter and width increases. The former however would involve significant design changes for the teams, and even at this stage it would delay their 2014 projects. An increased width – the figure 20mm has been discussed – is a little more realistic.

Adam Cooper

Zeppu

Question:

If Michelin comes back and Pirelli stays, then what exactly is the point? Pirelli have been artificially limiting the tyres, and therefore Michelin would have to do exactly the same thing. If one is better than the other it would defeat the purpose of the artificial limit. If they're exactly the same then what's the point of having two tyres?

Adamm

Question:

If Michelin comes back and Pirelli stays, then what exactly is the point? Pirelli have been artificially limiting the tyres, and therefore Michelin would have to do exactly the same thing. If one is better than the other it would defeat the purpose of the artificial limit. If they're exactly the same then what's the point of having two tyres?

Teams are randomly assigned tires each weekend, thus making racing more exciting. Luck of the draw!

Or mix and match, front tires will be pirelli and back will be Michelin!

Zeknurn

Question:

More money to Bernie.

Looks like India GP is dead after this year with tax reasons being the big stumbling block.
Indian government want 1/19th of revenue, not profits, from each team and FOM.

Goodbye Indian GP.

Heading into an election year this is an easy target. Instead of getting all of the middle classes and Indian tax evaders to pay their taxes they will go after easy foreign targets that make the news. The Congress Party is morally and intellectually bankrupt.

navanman

More on 2014 wider rear tyres, looks like FIA is supporting Pirelli stance.
F1's tyre supplier is pushing to finalise the specification of next year's rubber, which will have to deal with the increased torque of the 1.6-litre V6 turbo power units.

An early season request for teams to supply data on the performance figures of the 2014 cars only drew a response from five teams - which has left Pirelli concerned about the exact targets it needs to aim for.

With Mercedes believed to be worried about how tough the new engines will be on tyres, Pirelli has been asked to consider making rear tyres wider and larger in diameter.

This idea has been floated with the teams, but many of the leading outfits are not keen on the move as it would lead to an expensive redesign of suspension concepts.

With the teams at loggerheads over what should be done, AUTOSPORT has learned that the FIA has now stepped in and demanded that each outfit supplies the 2014 performance information to Pirelli in the next few days.

Only once it has the data available can Pirelli then decide on what needs to be done for next year.
Autosport

DBT85

And, yes, next year might shake things up but it in the end it will be Red Bull again who has the most money for dev etc. -- unless they fuck up completely in the beginning, they will win next season, too.

That assumption really cannot be made. The rule overhaul is massive and we know that Newey isn't happy about it. No doubt in part to the fact that the very thing that has helped them in the last 3 years is being taken away properly and that they need to rely even more on battery packs for the ERS which they have had more problems with than just about any team during the KERS years.

On top of that the new engines could be all over the place, The Merc might be lower on power but use less fuel, the Renault might pop early and cause them to take grid penalties etc etc.

With the aero rule changes AND the new engines AND the much larger ERS systems, there are far too many variables to say what will happen. Any driver who has the KERS issues that Webber has had in the last few years is out of contention for the title, even if everything else is 100% perfect.

Question:

If you had two teams again then they wouldn't be gimping their own tyres, it would be a tyre war for the best product that can go fastest for longest.

NHale

My take on the ALO story: it corroborates with the stuff I heard about next years FER engine being not up to snuff (yet?).

That's what being reported around the Spanish press also. Not the sensationalist press but the same press that was reporting the complete disaster that was the Jerez test last year.

The same guys are saying Abad is using the meeting he had with Horner (re: Carlos Sainz Jr. getting a Toro Rosso seat next year) to create pressure on Ferrari.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
That's what being reported around the Spanish press also. Not the sensationalist press but the same press that was reporting the complete disaster that was the Jerez test last year.

The same guys are saying Abad is using the meeting he had with Horner (re: Carlos Sainz Jr. getting a Toro Rosso seat next year) to create pressure on Ferrari.

Both stories are plausable. I highly doubt that Ferrari can overturn car is this summer break (factories will be closed for 2 weeks) or during autumn, when teams will move majority of resources to 2014 cars

Lap by lap time comparison for yesterday between Lewis and Seb (select Bianchi vs Chilton for some serious lulz)

Top Bottom