• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

dubc35

Good win for Lewis, glad RAI held off Vettel too although an alternator failure would have been sweet on the RBR.

For GP's next year, what has been 'confirmed' already? New Jersey, Austria, Russia(?), was Thailand 2014 or 15?, any others? Obviously they're not official until the calendar is released so some current ones have to drop off if the teams get their way with a max 20 GP season.

DBT85

:-(

As for euro go, why not move it every year to a new track? Could even include long forgotten classic tracks, London Street race, etc to switch things up a bit. Or does that make too much sense/not make Bernie enough money?

Euro GP should move every year.

I suppose most of the issue is that Bernie likes to sign long deals for megabucks, and that the cost of maintaining a track for F1 that isn't being used every year is more prohibitive now than it was. And you wouldn't get one track hosting two GPs a year.

Zeknurn

The European GP should be replaced with a Scandinavian GP. With Magnussen possibly getting a seat next year and three Finns on the grid it's a travesty that we don't have a race in a well represented racing region of the world.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The European GP should be replaced with a Scandinavian GP. With Magnussen possibly getting a seat next year and three Finns on the grid it's a travesty that we don't have a race in a well represented racing region of the world.

I always wondered that too. Is it a weather concern perhaps? But surely if you put it in the summer it won't be a problem.

Are the any scandinavian racing circuits that could support F1 with small/moderate updates, or is a whole new venue needed?

Goldrusher

For GP's next year, what has been 'confirmed' already? New Jersey, Austria, Russia(?), was Thailand 2014 or 15?, any others? Obviously they're not official until the calendar is released so some current ones have to drop off if the teams get their way with a max 20 GP season.
Provisional:

03/16 ... Australia
03/23 ... Malaysia
- - -
04/13 ... Shanghai
04/20 ... Bahrain
- - -
05/11 ... Valencia / Catalunya*
05/18 ... Monaco
- -
06/01 ... Montréal
06/08 ... New Jersey*
- -
06/22 ... Silverstone
- -
07/06 ... Austria
- -
07/20 ... Hockenheim
- -
08/03 ... Hungary
- - - -
08/31 ... Spa
09/07 ... Monza
- -
09/21 ... Singapore
09/28 ... Suzuka
- - -
10/19 ... Sochi*
10/26 ... India*
- -
11/02 ... Abu Dhabi
- -
11/09 ... Texas
11/16 ... Brazil

Korea is likely gone. New Jersey and Sochi are new.
Valencia might host the Spanish GP, but it's likely to be Catalunya again.
India could be cancelled.

Lach

Provisional:

Korea is likely gone. New Jersey and Sochi are new.
Valencia might host the Spanish GP, but it's likely to be Catalunya again.
India could be cancelled.

You seem to have forgot Abu Dhabi which was planned to be the season opener until I missed some news or something..
[edit] not the season opener but I think it's still in there...

Montezemolo: “This Ferrari doesn’t sit well with me”

A turning point to tackle with a knife between the teeth

Maranello, 29 July – “The Ferrari I saw in yesterday’s race doesn’t sit well with me.” President Montezemolo was very clear when, early in the morning, he opened the meeting with Stefano Domenicali and the Scuderia engineers, the day after a disappointing Hungarian Grand Prix, especially on the performance front. The President asked for an immediate upping of the tempo, right from Spa, to start being a contender for victory again, as had been the case up to the Canadian Grand Prix.

As usual, Montezemolo did not mince his words when it came to asking the team to step up a gear. Each one of the engineers present received a “gift” of a knife, along with an invitation – metaphorical up to a point – to put it between their teeth when thinking how to tackle the second half of the season.

This is definitely not the time to start arguing over who was responsible for this or that decision, partly because everything is still possible with nine Grands Prix to go. The points are available and so is the potential to score enough of them to win. Montezemolo is doing his utmost to ensure that the team has all the support and resources it needs, starting with the announcement that James Allison, formerly with Lotus, will join the Maranello team, starting work already on 1st September. However, there is a need to close ranks, without giving in to rash outbursts that, while understandable in the immediate aftermath of a bad result, are no use to anyone.

That was a reference to the latest comments from Fernando Alonso, which did not go down well with Montezemolo, nor with anyone in the team. So, when Montezemolo called the Spaniard this morning to wish him a happy birthday, he also tweaked his ear, reminding him that, “all the great champions who have driven for Ferrari have always been asked to put the interests of the team above their own. This is the moment to stay calm, avoid polemics and show humility and determination in making one’s own contribution, standing alongside the team and its people both at the track and outside it.”

Montezemolo also attended the technical analysis, which went into every detail, leaving no stone unturned, including the subject of the introduction of the new tyres over the course of the last two races, a variable that definitely did not suit the Ferrari. Pirelli’s choice contributed to artificially altering the hierarchy in the field, something that has not pleased the President or the men of the Scuderia. This topic will be the subject of further debate in the near future.

When Bernie goes down, I hope he takes LdM with him.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
When Bernie goes down, I hope he takes LdM with him.

I think that Fernando is seriously fed up with all the trouble that are currently inside Ferrari and because of this he met with RBR managers. This could escalate and can be quite nasty for both parties.

I do not think that Allison will make huge difference, they must sort out their windtunnel and simulator equipment. Without this sorted out, Ferrari is sitting duck compared to RBR, Mercedes and Lotus. Oh, and if they fired everybody capable, they mysteriously always kept Domenicalli - he is on the same page as Whitmarsh in guidebook 'How to not lead the F1 team'.

Omiee

I think that Fernando is seriously fed up with all the trouble that are currently inside Ferrari and because of this he met with RBR managers.

I do not think that Allison will make huge difference, they must sort out their windtunnel and simulator equipment. Without this sorted out, Ferrari is sitting duck compared to RBR, Mercedes and Lotus.

I seriously cant understand how they are still having an old wind tunnel. Ferrari is making a lot of profit from their sports cars bussines. Why are they not investing that shit into building a new windtunnel.

Do we have any records on what the budgets are that these teams are working with?

RBR is going to have a make or break next season. Cars will rely more on the engine than aero packages. Mercedes is probably going to run with it. Lewis made the best descion of his life. Vettel should never have signed for 2015 as well.

Alonso his management meeting with RBR is such a classic Fernando mind game. Let's hope Ferrari responds accordingly and actually gives him the car he deserves (My bet is that they won't because they're a bunch of incompetent donkeys). Can't really blame him if he does leave if they don't get their shit together.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Why are they not investing that shit into building a new windtunnel.

They did invest lots of money into new one in Maranello, but it is(as rumors are flying) faulty as hell. Also they can use one in Toyota facility, but they are limited to older tunnel, because Mclaren in using newer one there. Ferrari has major difficulties to produce working parts due to difference in real life paramaters compared to tunnel data, they are scrapping stuff almost on every race, reverting back to old stuff. Plus it seems that "new" tyre will bring more headaches to Maranello with harder compounds for next races. Engineer said that they are hoping to fix windtunnel till the end of August...

Ferrari is promising huge upgrade for Spa, but we will see. Other teams will bring probably more working stuff for their cars, Ferrari will go with guessing game once again.

Also their simulation department is not on par with RBR/Mclaren/Mercedes, so they are hiring almost all leftovers from top teams in this area. More like panic mode instead of slowly building tech team from almost zero, like Mercedes did.

I seriously cant understand how they are still having an old wind tunnel. Ferrari is making a lot of profit from their sports cars bussines. Why are they not investing that shit into building a new windtunnel.

Do we have any records on what the budgets are that these teams are working with?

RBR is going to have a make or break next season. Cars will rely more on the engine than aero packages. Mercedes is probably going to run with it. Lewis made the best descion of his life. Vettel should never have signed for 2015 as well.

Mercedes is definitely my pick to become the dominate team starting next year. Red Bull/Renault will be there too. Ferrari is going to be many years off from contending again. McLaren/Honda will probably beat them in that race back to the top. Just my gut feelings.

Vettel's deal not-so-coincidentally ends at the same time Rosberg's does. Lewis and Seb battling tooth and nail in the best car on the grid, that's my prediction for what F1 will be like a few years from now.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Pity there is no race for 4 weeks , it would be great to continue this Alonso & Ferrari bitching in public.

NHale

Alonso his management meeting with RBR is such a classic Fernando mind game. Let's hope Ferrari responds accordingly and actually gives him the car he deserves (My bet is that they won't because they're a bunch of incompetent donkeys). Can't really blame him if he does leave if they don't get their shit together.

Do you really believe the team is not giving him the best car because they don't want to? It's not because of him whining that they will suddenly learn to develop a car. The only thing positive he can get from this is more power within the team.

BTW the meeting between Abad and Horner was about Carlos Sainz Jr. who is also represented by Alonso's manager. Last year Ferrari tried to play mindtricks with Vettel's contract situation and now he's returning the favor. Abad as the asshole that he is, is feeding the info to Spanish press making people believe that it's in serious consideration to put pressure on Ferrari to make the decision his baby boy wants (apparently Alonso also asked for James Allison)

Remember LdM fired Aldo Costa because of Alonso. The same person that designed the 2013 Mercedes. Ha! Ha! Or as Alonso would say jajajajaja

If you think that his contract doesn't have performance clauses then you don't know sport.

The contract was automatically extended into 2015 because of performance clauses. There is no more performance clauses to get him out earlier.

The contract was automatically extended into 2015 because of performance clauses. There is no more performance clauses to get him out earlier.

Just because a contract can be extended by one performance clause doesn't necessarily mean that it can also be shortened by another. I doubt sincerely that Alonso wouldn't have a get out if Ferrari gave him a true stinker.

That's hardly the case though, they're just not quite there. As usual.

Ark

Just because a contract can be extended by one performance clause doesn't necessarily mean that it can also be shortened by another. I doubt sincerely that Alonso wouldn't have a get out if Ferrari gave him a true stinker.

He's talking about Vettel's contract, not Alonso's.

NHale

Every driver always has a way out of a contract. They only have to whine in public about the team until the team is tired of the bad reputation and mutually agrees to an early termination. It works everytime.

The LdM statement to me reads like a public warning to Alonso that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated. I don't think Alonso said anything worthy of the public reprimand, but LdM is probably a little worried after the Alonso-Red Bull rumor and is probably jumping to conclusions (like Abad and Horner want).

If I was betting men, I would put a lot of money into another Abad-Horner meeting to take place during the Summer break.

Dead Man

I'm not Vettel fan, but I respect his talent. He couldn't get around Button today due to the Merc engine. He was doing all he could IMO. I used to think he was a poor overtaker, but he's pulled off some slick moves the last two seasons. I can't hate. PEACE.

We can, but do you really think it will get a rise out of Omiee as much as "lol can't overtake" does?

Sometimes you can't overtake if the other driver doesn't make a mistake. Just ask the Lotus drivers about the race in Germany.

And the definition of "really important" would be interesting.

Alonso, Hamilton, Raikkonen; they've all been in similar situations where they couldn't make an important overtake and they've all (including Vettel) performed some amazing important overtakes.

That's basically what I've been saying :p

To be fair though, they have been improving year on year.
You should all be ashamed of yourselves, even you Shaneus, you have all been shown up by the most one eyed fan the board knows:
Its not he's like alonso in abu dhabi 2010.
Indeed, lol

More on 2014 wider rear tyres, looks like FIA is supporting Pirelli stance.

Autosport

An early season request for teams to supply data on the performance figures of the 2014 cars only drew a response from five teams - which has left Pirelli concerned about the exact targets it needs to aim for.

Any team that doesn't supply data and then complains can just fuck off.

NHale

Any team that doesn't supply data and then complains can just fuck off.

What happened this year? Pirelli had guidelines to be followed, teams didn't respect them and when tyres started to go off they complained.

Next year will be the same. If something happens to tyres, teams will point the finger in Pirelli's direction.

So, Kimi leaves a note to Redbull after Hungary

BQW_dOCCMAAx61q.jpg:large

jey_16

Banned
Can't blame Fernando for speaking up, you would get sick of the crap Ferrari have been churning out sooner or later. Unbelievable that they have not won a championship since 2007 with all the resources they have. Just hope they don't turn into McLaren, losing your star driver and then they lost their major sponsor as well

I always wondered that too. Is it a weather concern perhaps? But surely if you put it in the summer it won't be a problem.

Are the any scandinavian racing circuits that could support F1 with small/moderate updates, or is a whole new venue needed?

It's money problem. You would need whole new venue at least here in Finland. There were some plans in nineties by some business men but now it has been quiet for many years. Also if you have gp in british weather yeah weather is not a problem =D. It was solid 27C just yesterday here in Helsinki. Summer is usually pretty warm here despite the cold and harsh winters.

Dead Man

Can't blame Fernando for speaking up, you would get sick of the crap Ferrari have been churning out sooner or later. Unbelievable that they have not won a championship since 2007 with all the resources they have. Just hope they don't turn into McLaren, losing your star driver and then they lost their major sponsor as well

5 years is nothing, they went 21 years before Schumi won. Ferrari are a weird team like that.

I think McLaren are going to surprise a lot of people next year. I've heard rumours of a massive sponsorship deal being tied up at the moment (more than Vodafone :O). We'll see if it pans out, but if they can get it signed I think they will be fine, if they get Whitmarsh out and Ron back in I could see them challenging for the title next season, well if they make a star signing to replace Button.

You can't blame Fernando for being Fernando! Ferrari knew exactly what they're getting in Alonso so they should not complain about him, and publicly?!! That shows that there's a fracture within the team.

Meanwhile..

Lotus's hopes of keeping Kimi Raikkonen for F1 2014 set for boost

"I think by the end of this week everything should be clear," Boullier told AUTOSPORT.

"The deal gives us more than optimism for the future.

"It gives us the means to bring all the resources to go to the next step in terms of stability, size and, let's say power."

When asked if the financial boost provided by the Infinity Racing was what Raikkonen was looking for to commit to Lotus, Boullier said: "It is not the main thing, but it is one of the things yes.

Red Bull: no pressure to pick F1 junior over Raikkonen or Alonso

"The situation we are in is that we want to run the strongest team," explained Horner.

"We won the world championship the last three years and we want to make sure we are in the position to fight for the world championship in future years.

"There has never been any pressure that we must take a junior driver.

"Of course the junior drivers are under consideration but there is not a prerequisite that it has to be a junior driver next year.

"Obviously you want to put the strongest drivers in the cars that you possibly can - and Mark [Webber] leaves some big shoes to be filled."

Happy to see Lotus have more financial security. Hopefully they can replace Allison quickly. Would love to see Adrian Newey jump across to Lotus. :D

jey_16

Banned
I think McLaren are going to surprise a lot of people next year. I've heard rumours of a massive sponsorship deal being tied up at the moment (more than Vodafone :O). We'll see if it pans out, but if they can get it signed I think they will be fine, if they get Whitmarsh out and Ron back in I could see them challenging for the title next season, well if they make a star signing to replace Button.

Would like too see them try and find their new "Hamilton"....the lack of talented young drivers in the field is disappointing since the teams are tending to stick with older and more experienced drivers so they don't get a chance

Ark

Would like too see them try and find their new "Hamilton"....the lack of talented young drivers in the field is disappointing since the teams are tending to stick with older and more experienced drivers so they don't get a chance

They won't find another driver like Hamilton for a long time.

Drivers like Hamilton & Vettel don't come around often.

I don't think that's a possibility. Di Resta would be my pick, but it would be a massive step up for him coming from FI. Losing Hamilton to Mercedes was such a huge blow to McLaren, he brings so much to the team and more than just his aggressive driving, he is a leading expert on setup and giving the right feedback to race engineers. Hamilton adds 0.5s to a team with those qualities, I think with him there McLaren would be fighting for podiums with this same car.

I think Hamilton has conclusively proved Whitmarsh wrong now, with a hatful of podium finishes in the Mercedes and now a race victory while McLaren toil away in 7th-10th position.

Slightly off topic, but I was just watching a Japanese TV programme about Japanese people who live abroad. They take the cameras around the person's home and talk about the weird local customs (well, weird to Japanese people anyway)

In today's show they were showing a family living in Finland. The wife was Japanese and the husband Finnish... A famous Finn nonetheless; Mika Salo!

They were having a house party, everyone got drunk and Mika Salo stripped naked and ran off to jump into a nearby lake. When I started watching the show last month, I wasn't expecting to randomly see Salo's arse.

Zeknurn

You can absolutely blame Alonso for being disrespectful to the team in public.

Ferrari should replace him and Massa and have a fresh start for 2014. I honestly don't think that it's just the team to blame for their shortcomings the last few years.

You can't blame Fernando for being Fernando! Ferrari knew exactly what they're getting in Alonso so they should not complain about him, and publicly?!! That shows that there's a fracture within the team.

Meanwhile..

Lotus's hopes of keeping Kimi Raikkonen for F1 2014 set for boost

Red Bull: no pressure to pick F1 junior over Raikkonen or Alonso

Excellent news for Lotus. I do hope this leads to them moving to becoming an established front runner. I was on the Kimi to Red Bull train before but now I want to see him stay at Lotus if they can provide him with a car strong enough for a title.

Happy to see Lotus have more financial security. Hopefully they can replace Allison quickly. Would love to see Adrian Newey jump across to Lotus. :D

For how long is Adrian Newey committed to Red Bull anyway? Not that he would want to go to a team that doesn't have infinite money like Red Bull.

Ark

For how long is Adrian Newey committed to Red Bull anyway? Not that he would want to go to a team that doesn't have infinite money like Red Bull.

Newey said that he'll be staying at RBR until he retires. He doesn't want to move to another team because his wife doesn't want to move. IIRC he turned down a huge offer by Ferrari in 2011 because he didn't want to move to Italy.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Newey said that he'll be staying at RBR until he retires. He doesn't want to move to another team because his wife doesn't want to move. IIRC he turned down a huge offer by Ferrari in 2011 because he didn't want to move to Italy.

Also, probably there is no team that could equalize or offer more than RBR. Mateschitz know how valuable is Newey, so he will do everything to keep it in RBR.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Confirmation of no Indian GP next year but it will return in 2015 as one of the first set of fly-away races.

NHale

You can absolutely blame Alonso for being disrespectful to the team in public.

Ferrari should replace him and Massa and have a fresh start for 2014. I honestly don't think that it's just the team to blame for their shortcomings the last few years.

Blaming Alonso for Ferrari's shortcomings in the past years is something that I wouldn't expect in this thread. Even Omiee knows better.

NHale

So you don't think driver feedback is key to developing a championship winning car?

No. Feedback certainly helps but it's nowhere near the key to develop a championship caliber car. A great team of designers, engineers and a reliable wind tunnel + CFD + simulator is what really matters.

And if what you say was remotely true then why did Renault won 2 titles when Alonso was there, why did McLaren improve in the only year he was there but then at Ferrari his cars are not competitive? He lost his ability to give driver feedback when he got older?

And if driver feedback was key, Kimi Raikkonen would never been able to win/fight for so many championships considering his well known shortcomings in that department.

dubc35

We all blamed Massa last year for poor driving, clashing with Lewis, taxes, global warming, etc. Should we also blame him some for the wind tunnel?

Top Bottom