• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Shaneus

Webber just beat Vettel's time on Top Gear.

Good stuff.
Oh, nice. Wasn't it in the wet though? Was Vettel's in the dry?

YT link at all? Failing that, episode number so I can hunt it down online :)

Grosjean crash compilation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_bcRiV6DY8

Funny stuff.. LOL @ 00:45
Fuck yes:
nEutXgz.png

The Mercedes engine sounded ok in that video the other day.

Engine guy at Mercedes said it's around the same frequency but just a lower volume.

This makes me laugh! its the same frequency, yet some clowns still complain :D
its going to be pretty loud when 22 cars blast by you.

Shaneus

I spot a wild Mitch Evans in the top pic.
Oh shit, good find!

I wonder whether MW Arden will still be a thing post-F1 for Webber? I get the feeling that any association between Webs and Horner regarding that team is purely business and not because they enjoy working together.

Shaneus

What the F1 indeed. If it was done with a sense of irony or self-deprecation, then fine... but I didn't get any of that at all.

Okay, we have three weeks(ish) up our sleeve, lets post some awesome(ly good, or bad) F1 driver-endorsing ads. I'mma get it started (no prizes for guessing which driver AND ad it is :p)

Edit: I'd never even seen this one, from the same series of ads.

Yes, frequency is the only thing that matters in sound.

Ass.

Give me a break you clown. unless you are actually there listening to it in the flesh, youtube reproduction isn't an accurate representation.
But I guess that's too much for a genius like you to understand :)

Dilly

Banned
Give me a break you clown. unless you are actually there listening to it in the flesh, youtube reproduction isn't an accurate representation.
But I guess that's too much for a genius like you to understand :)

I'm not the asshole calling people clowns for having another opinion. So don't give me that fucking attitude boy.

Addnan

Was expecting Kimi to be dubbed with American accent. Disappointed.

What the F1 indeed. If it was done with a sense of irony or self-deprecation, then fine... but I didn't get any of that at all.

Okay, we have three weeks(ish) up our sleeve, lets post some awesome(ly good, or bad) F1 driver-endorsing ads. I'mma get it started (no prizes for guessing which driver AND ad it is :p)

Edit: I'd never even seen this one, from the same series of ads.

Holy shit, I actually laughed. This is funny, the Button one is just weird.

I'm not the asshole calling people clowns for having another opinion. So don't give me that fucking attitude boy.

temper temper dummy, don't be calling people assholes.
The reality is that some will be change resistant no matter what, the engine regs had to change in order to slow the cars and push technology in an interesting direction.
Yes the sound changes as a result, but an ACTUAL F1 ENGINEER SAYS: its not too much of a difference, ergo 'another opinion' is actually the wrong opinion.

Shaneus

Double post etc. Webber on Top Gear

Very interesting hearing him say about 2nd gear on the last corner to transfer weight to the front... never, EVER considered that. Honestly a line of thinking I'd not even considered.

I think that'll change the way I tackle driving games, TBH (providing they're realistic, of course).

Hammer24

Banned
Some "news":
- LOT stopped development for 2013; wind tunnel and design already exclusively working for next season; still some small parts to come, which are already in the last stages of development, but no more in the pipeline
- FER built to car back to the Spain version, none of the parts developed since then worked (front wing, aero package, longer side tunnels, exhaust rear wing etc.). They are now saying, that the wind tunnel is not at fault, but that the car is at the end of its potential per se. Additionally they seem to be the big losers from the new tyres. They are degrading much faster than on the other cars. Yet they have problems to get them on temperature. They expect to be only competitive on the high speed tracks the rest of the year.

DD

temper temper dummy, don't be calling people assholes.
The reality is that some will be change resistant no matter what, the engine regs had to change in order to slow the cars and push technology in an interesting direction.
Yes the sound changes as a result, but an ACTUAL F1 ENGINEER SAYS: its not too much of a difference, ergo 'another opinion' is actually the wrong opinion.

“I listened to the noise of the engines in (Ferrari’s headquarters at) Maranello the other day, the new engine and the old engine, and even (Ferrari chairman) Luca di Montezemolo said it sounded terrible and didn’t like it,” says Ecclestone.

http://www.formula1blog.com/2012/10/03/mosleys-v6-turbo-has-come-to-kill-us-all/

=/

so you change your opinion on the 86 year old teabag whenever you like? usually he is 'ruining F1' boo hoo, and then he is right on some things?

:D

Never change F1gaf

I remember when ferrari changed from their v12 and the outcry of the noise will be lost etc... But it becomes the new normal and these things will be forgotten when we see drivers using their boost and KERS and so on.
The new technology will upset the status quo and provide us with a new F1. We have the pleasure of the chaos to come.

Ark

so you change your opinion on the 86 year old teabag whenever you like? usually he is 'ruining F1' boo hoo, and then he is right on some things?

:D

Never change F1gaf

Useless posts like these don't help improve the community. Also don't double post, you posted less than an hour after yourself, just edit your previous post instead of wasting time.

I remember when ferrari changed from their v12 and the outcry of the noise will be lost etc... But it becomes the new normal and these things will be forgotten when we see drivers using their boost and KERS and so on.
Forgotten about, maybe... but the old engines still sound a ridiculous amount better than what we've got, and the engines next year will be another step in the wrong direction.

Speaking about Bernie, it seems that he's determined to put Nasr on the grid:

"I'm here. Anytime you need advice, just shout. I need a Brazilian driver "

"I spoke with some teams and they are impressed how he has developed in recent years"

http://tazio.uol.com.br/f1/bernie-promete-ajudar-nasr-a-entrar-na-f1-preciso-de-um-brasileiro

He could/should try to help Frijns too. =P

Bernie doesn't care about the Dutch market. Even though there are a lot of Dutch sponsors in F1 already (Shell/Randstad/Philips). Would love to see what Frijns can do.

Advancement > sound.

Yeah... about that. I'm assuming advancement doesn't count as laptime, or spectacle right?

Because frankly the advancement has been next to worthless. As I've said before, FIA WEC is far more impressive when it comes to advancement (especially advancement with real world application).

Pimpwerx

Engine note isn't a big deal. The cars sound good enough still that it's immaterial. I just thought we were gonna get the whooshing with the turbos. It's not gonna matter anyway. Most of what we get on tv is from a distance anyway, and the cars are still gonna be plenty loud for people at the races.

Once we lost the beatiful song of the Ferrari V12s, nothing else really mattered anymore. PEACE.

Oh, and for what it's worth I think the cars at the actual track are too loud.

/grumbly old man

Was considering trying to get some sort of headset with push to talk for next time I go so I can actually discuss the race as it's going on. :D

Ark

Yeah... about that. I'm assuming advancement doesn't count as laptime, or spectacle right?

Because frankly the advancement has been next to worthless. As I've said before, FIA WEC is far more impressive when it comes to advancement (especially advancement with real world application).

You're following the wrong sport.

I wouldn't worry too much about initial or first year lap times. I think the expectation is these new cars will find huge gains over the next few years (before having to be knocked down a peg). That's how it always is, and I expect it to be even more dramatic than previously.

F1 has now jumped prototypes in relevancy, if nothing else. 1.6L TV6 with electronic craziness. This is the kind of thing you can expect to be driving on the road sometime in the not too distant future. It really is the mid-term future of the automobile.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Some "news":
- FER built to car back to the Spain version, none of the parts developed since then worked (front wing, aero package, longer side tunnels, exhaust rear wing etc.). They are now saying, that the wind tunnel is not at fault, but that the car is at the end of its potential per se. Additionally they seem to be the big losers from the new tyres. They are degrading much faster than on the other cars. Yet they have problems to get them on temperature. They expect to be only competitive on the high speed tracks the rest of the year.

Lotus already on 2014, Ferrari will soon migrate to 2014 car (in matter of 3-4 races IMO), what about RBR and Merc?

Ark

Lotus already on 2014, Ferrari will soon migrate to 2014 car (in matter of 3-4 races IMO), what about RBR and Merc?

Pretty sure Mercedes has been concentrating most of their fire power on their 2014 car all year.

I imagine RBR are focused on this years car, but I could be wrong.

The Button Santander advert is a very blatant parody of overly pretentious fragrance adverts. 'the fuck is wrong with you people!?

Odd choice though, given that McLaren are also sponsored by Hugo Boss.

Dead Man

Laptimes can only improve so much before they are too dangerous, where that limit of safety is may be up for discussion. And they have advanced, a lot. If you had a 2.4l V8 in the 90's, you would have been nowhere.

Laptimes can only improve so much before they are too dangerous, where that limit of safety is may be up for discussion.

I don't disagree. That said, you can reduce speeds without forcing the cars to become aero limited and screwing up racing. I really hate that cars can't follow each other closely any more.

Dead Man

I don't disagree. That said, you can reduce speeds without forcing the cars to become aero limited and screwing up racing. I really hate that cars can't follow each other closely any more.

Yeah, the aero rules need fixing massively, they need to totally change the design philosophy of the cars.

I've talked about a limit on downforce being part of the rules, which would encourage lower drag solutions to get to that downforce limit.

Eh? The cars' over-reliance on aero downforce is exactly what's preventing them from being able to follow each other closely!

They need less aero and more mechanical grip.

Top Bottom