• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

LeBoef

I read some where that Marlboro were happy because F1 is probably the only worlwdide sport they can get away with having sponsorship in....pretty much all other sports have banned tobacco advertising completley but they can still kind of get away with it in F1

think ducatis moto gp team is still sponsored by marlboro / philip morris.

Shaneus

Shit. I don't know how I feel about that. I don't want him to get fucked at Ferrari by all the bullshit, but better chance at a winning car even with all their current problems.
Better chance at a winning car? I'm not sure what Ferrari's preparations for 2014 are looking like, but I'd back Lotus at having a better chance if the drivers weren't a factor.

No surprise, Kimi could drive a Newey rocket.
He practically did last weekend. He was controlling Vettel's RBR better than anyone I've seen ;)

Addnan

Better chance at a winning car? I'm not sure what Ferrari's preparations for 2014 are looking like, but I'd back Lotus at having a better chance if the drivers weren't a factor.

Money though man, Lotus will start struggling half way through the season. Then again they do have that new deal with infiniti, maybe that could help. I don't doubt Lotus' ability to design a car. I think they have been doing a much better job than Ferrari last two seasons, but when it comes to spending money very few can top Ferrari.

Shaneus

Money though man, Lotus will start struggling half way through the season. Then again they do have that new deal with infiniti, maybe that could help. I don't doubt Lotus' ability to design a car. I think they have been doing a much better job than Ferrari last two seasons, but when it comes to spending money very few can top Ferrari.
This is true (and TBH I didn't even consider it, even though I should have). Lotus need another pay driver to support Kimi. Or get a sponsor like Magnum. Seriously, how has that shit not happened yet?

DBT85

Watching the Hungary Highlights again (hurrah job) and can't help but thinking Merc need to get their pitstops to be consistently faster like Mclaren and RB if they want to give Lewis and Nico everything they can. I think they managed a 2.6 for Hamilton but on average I think they are like 3s so they are giving up valuable time to Red Bull every time they pit.

pants

Expected to lose much more, terrible round for me.

s2dWPud.png

NHale

I read some where that Marlboro were happy because F1 is probably the only worlwdide sport they can get away with having sponsorship in....pretty much all other sports have banned tobacco advertising completley but they can still kind of get away with it in F1

Marlboro/Philip Morris don't care about this deal for the exposure. This is was never a ROI based investment, this is was a deal between friends by Todt and his best buddies at Phillip Morris/Altria.

Bild reporting that Ferrari have made an offer to bring Kimi back.

Considering how Kimi "loved" his time at Ferrari and especially how got thrown out by LdM, I'm going to guess the probability of this hapenning = 0%.

This is probably Steve Robertson leaking the rumor to get Red Bull to act quickly. Smartest men on the paddock since he got LdM to give him an offer for Kimi and "fire" Michael Schumacher at the same time. Remarkable.

Hammer24

Banned
Radio Pitlane:
- ALO rumors untrue, originated from RBR to destabilize FER, ALO contract has no get out clause he could use right now
- HUL, BIA best chances to replace MAS
- tyres 2014: mixing allowed (option front, prime rear f.i.), wider tyres, no higher diameter
- RAI to FER untrue, still mad at Montezemolo how he kicked him out 2009
- HAM and ROS getting best buddies, took some pylons and a tyre and played bowling with this in the Pitlane on Friday evening
- Michelin unlikely to come back. Not only because of the agreements with Pirelli already in place, but they themselves are said only to be interested if they could bring low section tyres - which have been definitely ruled out
- RBR: Marko/Horner want RIC, but decision will be solely made by Mateschitz - who is said to want RAI
- LOT hope RAI doesn´t get the RBR job, as they want to significantly lower his pay, and still keep him
- SAU forced to take on a Russian driver (Sergej Sirotkin) in exchange for the sponsor deal - but the 17year old will have difficulties to get a super license (he needs to drive at least 300km on two days in the winter tests, and has to have good lap times while doing so)
- no cake for SUT. Not only didn´t he finish his 100th race, but he didn´t even get the usual cake. Instead his team gave him a rim with signatures of the whole team
- PER not only a rowdy on track, but also off it: several journos lamented, that on the way towards the track on Saturday morning, he drove far over the speed limit, overtaking cars left AND right

Radio Pitlane:
- ALO rumors untrue, originated from RBR to destabilize FER, ALO contract has no get out clause he could use right now
- tyres 2014: mixing allowed (option front, prime rear f.i.), wider tyres, no higher diameter
- HAM and ROS getting best buddies, took some pylons and a tyre and played bowling with this in the Pitlane on Friday evening
- Michelin unlikely to come back. Not only because of the agreements with Pirelli already in place, but they themselves are said only to be interested if they could bring low section tyres - which have been definitely ruled out
- RBR: Marko/Horner want RIC, but decision will be solely made by Mateschitz - who is said to want RAI
- LOT hope RAI doesn´t get the RBR job, as they want to significantly lower his pay, and still keep him
- SAU forced to take on a Russian driver (Sergej Sirotkin) in exchange for the sponsor deal - but the 17year old will have difficulties to get a super license (he needs to drive at least 300km on two days in the winter tests, and has to have good lap times while doing so)
- no cake for SUT. Not only didn´t he finish his 100th race, but he didn´t even get the usual cake. Instead his team gave him a rim with signatures of the whole team
- PER not only a rowdy on track, but also off it: several journos lamented, that on the way towards the track on Saturday morning, he drove far over the speed limit, overtaking cars left AND right

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=73503478&postcount=14519

Deadman

How does the tyre mixing work with the rule of having to run both sets of tyres? Do you need each compound on each wheel at least once? Or is that rule gone in 2014?

Shaneus

Radio Pitlane:
On the RBR thing, probably has something to do with Marko/Horner wanting a clear #1 and Mateschitz wanting a more competitive environment like this year. Hoping the latter wins out.
Surprised about the drivers being looked at to replace Massa (was thinking some others might be there as well). I wonder if Vergne could've been a likely contender, given STRs ties with Ferrari (said ties may not be *that* strong, though).
Last point: Not surprised about reading that thing re: Perez. Not like we would've read it about Vettel.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Radio Pitlane:

This is also evident in team work, they share and compare settings from each other and have all access to each other telemetry

Hammer24

Banned
How does the tyre mixing work with the rule of having to run both sets of tyres? Do you need each compound on each wheel at least once? Or is that rule gone in 2014?

Still wip, to be decided later. right now that's a compromise proposal, that seems to be gaining support.

Surprised about the drivers being looked at to replace Massa (was thinking some others might be there as well). I wonder if Vergne could've been a likely contender, given STRs ties with Ferrari (said ties may not be *that* strong, though).

I´m still not sure how this is going to play out. Maybe just with a one year contract? I mean, it still looks like VET coming in 2015.

This is also evident in team work, they share and compare settings from each other and have all access to each other telemetry

Yep, right now it looks like it works as a healthy competition, both pushing each other.

Omiee

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/30/sport/motorsport/f1-money-billion-dollar-business/index.html

Article on the money involved in F1.

Whoever at ferrari keeps convincing marlboro to give them 100mil a year for almost no exposure is a wizard.

Why is the monaco race free and monza single digit million figure while singapore and other pay double digit fees?

Do different races pay different fees?

CS: Bigtime. For example, Monza (Italian Grand Prix) you are talking single digits whereas Singapore you are talking in the region of $60 million. Malaysia pays $66.9 million a year. The average fee for hosting is now $27 million and that's driven by these new Asian races. The bottom line with many of the Asia races is that the government will cover the fee because it's promoting the country whereas in Europe, Germany (for example) doesn't need a Formula One race to promote itself.

Addnan

Monaco is special, Monza is classic and Ferrari town. Nobody wants those shitty flyaway so they better have a reason for going there.

Omiee

Monaco is special, Monza is classic and Ferrari town. Nobody wants those shitty flyaway so they better have a reason for going there.

Still think the differences are way to big. I mean singapore pay 64 million or what ever and monaco is freaking free of charge.

dubc35

Still think the differences are way to big. I mean singapore pay 64 million or what ever and monaco is freaking free of charge.
Singapore should pay billions, or at least enough so they can't afford it anymore and stop holding a GP. Nothing against Singapore as a country; just don't like the circuit.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
PdLR confirmed test in Magny Cours, with 2011 car and demo tyres. Goal is to check data for 'new simulator program' aka 'something is not working and we have no idea what it is'.

They have some major issues in development chain - parts are working in theory, but not in practice.. I do not think that windtunnel is the main reason. Gone are days of unlimited testing in Fiorano and Mugello....

NHale

They have some major issues in development chain - parts are working in theory, but not in practice.. I do not think that windtunnel is the main reason. Gone are days of unlimited testing in Fiorano and Mugello....

They are not used work the conventional way (windtunnel + CFD + simulator) because they had the advantage of being able to test to see results for upgrades.

There are stories of them running at Fiorano for 2 weeks straight just testing new pieces as they were making them at Maranello. It was a massive advantage for them. Why use a simulator if you can test? Why use windtunnel if you can get the most reliable data from testing?

Now they took away their massive advantage and they are stuck in the mud. I guess it's well deserved karma.

And they are still thinking the problem is with the people leading the design team. First it was Aldo Costa fault (the person that after being fired went to Mercedes and designed their winning 2013 car), then Pat Fry was seen as the saviour and now he's also the culprit and "James Allison will save us from development doom!". Pathetic.

Webber is on Top Gear this Sunday.

They're also doing something with the UK based F1 teams which is probably related to this bit in the program description:

winds up with a big finale in front of Buckingham Palace.

I'm guessing McLaren, Williams, Lotus and others will driving in front of it.

DD

If you're blind :)

OR if you have great taste. :)

lTtGl.gif

Seriously, i love that car! It's so beautiful to watch it flying through La Sarthe. It's like a baby born from a flying soucer that was violently penetrated by a shinkansen. It's THAT beautiful to me. :D

I actually watch Le Mans just to look at these beasts.

Pimpwerx

You don't? You must not remember Kimi's first season then.

Kimi didn't exactly blow Heidfeld away in his first season IIRC. I like him, but he had the least-impressive debut of the 4 drivers mentioned. Alonso, IMO, did set the grid ablaze, when he placed that dreadful Minardi ahead of the Bennettons a few times. PEACE.

Top Bottom