• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Because throwing at money at something guarantees success...

Of course.

pC1tytb.jpg

Zozobra

Hey guys,

Would the BBC iPlayer allow me to watch their F1 coverage on-demand? I hate the way TSN (Canada) handles F1 coverage and it's virtually the only thing I'm subscribed to cable for atm, so I was thinking of canceling and using Unblock-Us or something to get access to the iPlayer.

Thanks.

Ark

A bit hostile. I ask because you post about Mercedes a hell of a lot.

I post about Mercedes a lot because they've been the hot topic all year and I've been waiting for that team to return to the top since 2009.

I used to post about McLaren before but now it's Mercedes because the driver I wish to see succeed is Hamilton. And you seem to rebuke everything I ever post.

Because throwing at money at something guarantees success...

To compare Toyota and Mercedes as a 1:1 right now wouldn't be a fair comparison, to either party.

DBT85

I see Whitmasrsh has said that the 2012 car was overdelivering at the end of last season. Apparently updates were working better on the car than in simulation and so was the car.

Not the case this season you'd have to assume.

A doping report by the French claims F1 drivers have been using PEDs for years. What do you think?

The FIA does occasional random drug tests and only once has anything been found. That was back in 1995 when both Rubens Barrichello and Max Papis tested positive to substances which appear on the International Olympic Committee's list of banned drugs. The drug was ephedrine and F1 doctor Professor Sid Watkins explained that ephedrine had no effect whatsoever on a driver's ability to perform and suggested that it was probably better if F1 did not use the same list of banned drugs as the International Olympic Committee as it was not specifically designed for F1.

I wonder who else was/is a filthy cheat? Moss admitted him and Fangio popped magic pills when racing, then there was that driver who had his blood taken so his sport's scientist could manage his supplements to keep him in peak condition.

FIA drug testing stats for 2012:

A total of 25 in-competition tests were carried out on 103 drivers.

A total of 20 out-of-competition tests were carried out on 20 drivers.

Pathetic.

I used to post about McLaren before but now it's Mercedes because the driver I wish to see succeed is Hamilton. And you seem to rebuke everything I ever post.

Uhh, I don't think I've ever even had a conversation with you, let alone "rebuked everything" you ever post. You might want to go back and look at the thread.

dubc35

I think it's safe to assume athletes in every sport are doping. I'm not saying they all are doping but certainly some. There's probably a professional chess player doping.

I post about Mercedes a lot because they've been the hot topic all year and I've been waiting for that team to return to the top since 2009.

To compare Toyota and Mercedes as a 1:1 right now wouldn't be a fair comparison, to either party.

I wasn't comparing the two, I was just making the point that money doesn't guarantee success.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Being reported by sources on Twitter that Kimi is heading back to Ferrari.

Sauber in serious dodo as their main investor votes against their Russian investment plan.

silly season?

No way he is going to Ferrari.

This rumour has been bubbling for a few weeks at least now, and the consensus seems to have gone from the reaction you've just had, to "actually..."

Basically, outside of Red Bull, Kimi has shit all options beyond the massive gamble of remaining at Lotus. (And supposedly Ferrari). Apparently he was quoted in Hungary saying that his decision might be surprising to some (never seen this confirmed), and Ferrari may be desperate for results with the competition having some pretty strong lineups.

Who the fuck knows what's really going on though. All that's certain is that it's going to be interesting to see this rumour intensify if DR is confirmed for RBR in Spa.

ramparter

Banned
Kimi & Alonso would be awesome (at first). Then things will go really bad... the whole world will end up in ashes. Seriously.

PS: I mean, at some point Fernando & Kimi will be punching each other and suddenly Webber who would be just watching from the paddocks will be like "F..k it!" and go after Vettel finally.

Kimi & Alonso would be awesome (at first). Then things will go really bad... the whole world will end up in ashes. Seriously.

PS: I mean, at some point Fernando & Kimi will be punching each other and suddenly Webber who would be just watching from the paddocks will be like "F..k it!" and go after Vettel finally.

We'd have classic F1 again :)

It's be great to see Kimi back at Ferrari though, even if just to see all the spin that comes out of it from both the team, and Alonso (if he were to stay).

It's be glorious.

I hate Ferrari but I'd rather see Kimi there than Redbull..

I don't know why, but I just don't want to see him in Redbull if he has the chance to go back to Ferrari

Shaneus

Wait... so if Kimi goes to Ferrari, does that mean either Kimi or Alonso would be gone by 2015 given that the speculation is 2014 will be Vettel's last season with RBR?

If anywhere, I want to see Kimi in that RBR next year. The guy who talk far too much on the podium vs. the guy who barely talks at all.

Hackbert

Lotus Lopez :
"On the €120 million debt, anybody half-smart can find out that number by going to Companies House records and will see that out of that, over 90 million is not 'real' debt but shareholder loans made to the company," Lopez told AUTOSPORT.

"The salaries have always been paid on time and there has never been even a hint of a potential strike by our people at the factory.

"We usually don't comment on these things, but in this case it's unfair on the people working in the company to be saying things like that."

Lopez also emphasised that Lotus does have the resources to continue to develop its car this year even though, inevitably, upgrades in the second half of the season will not be as dramatic as those produced earlier.

AUTOSPORT understands that Lotus plans to take a new front wing to the next race in Belgium, where it is also set to run its passive drag reduction system.

"We are actually bringing a number of new developments throughout the season," said Lopez.

"What is true is that, just like everyone else, a lot of the big stuff like the double DRS has already been developed but is going to be put on the car for the upcoming races.

"In the second half of the season all you are doing is coming up with new wings, you're not look at changing the wheelbase or things like that - those are things you do in the first 10 races."

Lopez believes that Lotus's recent performances, which have taken Kimi Raikkonen to second in the drivers' championship and the team to fourth in the constructors' standings, just 11 points behind Ferrari, are testament to the health of the outfit.

He stressed that significant investment has been made at Enstone since Genii took over.

"When we took over this team, it was eighth in the championship," said Lopez.

"It had a 50 per cent windtunnel, now it's 60 per cent. The team didn't have a driver-in-the-loop simulator, it does now. It didn't have a gearbox dyno, now it has.

"So it has a bunch of things that it didn't have even as a works team.

"As they say in other sports, you do your talking on the field and I guess we do our talking on the track."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109230

what a forward and back stepping story. i know this is mostly PR talk, but i still hope for the best in regards to the Lotus team. I like them.

dubc35

Amazing that we're still in the season. Only a little over a week until FP1 @ Spa.

I can't see RAI back at Ferrari but who knows.

Pimpwerx

A doping report by the French claims F1 drivers have been using PEDs for years. What do you think?

I wonder who else was/is a filthy cheat? Moss admitted him and Fangio popped magic pills when racing, then there was that driver who had his blood taken so his sport's scientist could manage his supplements to keep him in peak condition.

FIA drug testing stats for 2012:

A total of 25 in-competition tests were carried out on 103 drivers.

A total of 20 out-of-competition tests were carried out on 20 drivers.

Pathetic.

Who cares? PEDs don't make someone drive a car faster. Generally, lighter is faster. If it helps them develop their neck and arm muscles faster, so they don't kill themselves and spectators, then I'm all for it.

Personally, I don't care about PEDs in any sport. They made baseball better. Almost everyone in the NFL uses PEDs, as they are all unusually large for their size. Basketball players use PEDs too, and that hasn't caused shooting percentages to spike or anything. It's time to unban the safe stuff, and there's lots of safe stuff. So many things you can get over the counter are banned. PEACE.

Who cares? PEDs don't make someone drive a car faster. Generally, lighter is faster. If it helps them develop their neck and arm muscles faster, so they don't kill themselves and spectators, then I'm all for it.

Personally, I don't care about PEDs in any sport. They made baseball better. Almost everyone in the NFL uses PEDs, as they are all unusually large for their size. Basketball players use PEDs too, and that hasn't caused shooting percentages to spike or anything. It's time to unban the safe stuff, and there's lots of safe stuff. So many things you can get over the counter are banned. PEACE.

What a ridiculous thing to say. If you unban those things, then everyone pretty much has to take them in order to compete. That's a slope no one in their right mind wants to get on.

As for not enabling you to drive a car faster, again, nonsense. Driving any car, let alone an F1 car, at its limits for 90-120 minutes requires exceptional stamina and concentration, and that's easily within the influence of PEDs.

DBT85

Wait...Button outscored Lewis by 15 points in their time together? How the hell does that work? PEACE.

Hamilton fell apart when he split with Nicole and wasn't talking to his dad. Also Hamilton had some ridiculously bad luck with the pitstops last year.

People use the scores that both drives got over that time to say Button is as good or better than Hamilton.

They are insane.

dubc35

What a ridiculous thing to say. If you unban those things, then everyone pretty much has to take them in order to compete. That's a slope no one in their right mind wants to get on.

As for not enabling you to drive a car faster, again, nonsense. Driving any car, let alone an F1 car, at its limits for 90-120 minutes requires exceptional stamina and concentration, and that's easily within the influence of PEDs.

Agreed. PED's come in many forms. To think they're only used to bulk up would be incorrect. Look at MLB pitchers using HGH, NFL players using Adderall, etc.

Someone mentioned chess players... they tend to use beta blockers.

There are also many drugs out there that enhance concentration, reaction speed and other mental areas.

ramparter

Banned
Wait...Button outscored Lewis by 15 points in their time together? How the hell does that work? PEACE.

Button was awesome in 2011. His greatest season by far.

PS: We all made a great mistake assuming Kimi will be no 2 in Ferrari. Kimi will actually replace Alonso who wiil replace Webber.

Dilly

Banned
Nice, how you have no idea what happened in these races.

Fact is he wasn't worlds apart from Alonso.

Yes, that teamorder broke poor Felipe's determination to ever win or perform decently in an F1 car.

He truly was never the same after what they've done to him.

Nice, how you have no idea what happened in these races.

Fact is he wasn't worlds apart from Alonso.

I do know what happened in those races, I saw them all. And anyone can see that Massa was having a bad season in 2010, and as it happens, there has been no change since then.
The facts are he had very bad results prior to Germany 2010. There is no other way of looking at it.

There is alot of nonsense written about Massa, saying that the spring and germany 2010 has changed him, but he and Smedley and SD and all of his Medical tests state differently: he is still the same driver. The reality is that he cant hook things up and needs to removed from Ferrari.

Top Bottom