• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Hammer24

Banned
Radio Pitlane:
There have been rumors for a while now, that Mercs 2014 engine could dominate the field. Now the talk is, that their engine has some cool 100 horses more than the others.
How comes? In the talks about next years tyres, Merc spoke up and said they´d need wider rear tyres next year, as much as 2cm wider, as otherwise they´d had no chance to get the power on the track. The other teams said they had no such problems, but perked their ears up. So Pirelli, with FIA backing, asked the engine manufacturers to hand over hard data from the new engines. All complied - and since then Pirelli went on record that they share Mercs sentiments, and that the tyres will have to be wider. While the data handed to Pirelli is of course confidential, since then the 100 number has popped up.

PS: I´m about to lose all respect for Kimi...

Matrix+-+Not+Like+This.gif

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Radio Pitlane:
There have been rumors for a while now, that Mercs 2014 engine could dominate the field. Now the talk is, that their engine has some cool 100 horses more than the others.
How comes? In the talks about next years tyres, Merc spoke up and said they´d need wider rear tyres next year, as much as 2cm wider, as otherwise they´d had no chance to get the power on the track. The other teams said they had no such problems, but perked their ears up. So Pirelli, with FIA backing, asked the engine manufacturers to hand over hard data from the new engines. All complied - and since then Pirelli went on record that they share Mercs sentiments, and that the tyres will have to be wider. While the data handed to Pirelli is of course confidential, since then the 100 number has popped up.

Second part: quad facepalm if true

First part: This would mean HUGE advantage to all Mercedes powered teams. But 100 horsepower more? I think that they could not have this kind of raw power advantage compared to Renault and Ferrari.

There's no way they're getting 100hp more using the same amount of fuel. They're not building proton drives, this is well understood, mature tech.

First part: This would mean HUGE advantage to all Mercedes powered teams. But 100 horsepower more? I think that they could not have this kind of raw power advantage compared to Renault and Ferrari.

Rumors are that Ferrari's V6 sucks, so who knows.

Also, nice tag.

dubc35

...and the continuing decline of McLaren after 2014 unless Honda steals some tech

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Rumors are that Ferrari's V6 sucks, so who knows.

Also, nice tag.

I only heard that they are having issues with fuel consumption

Yeah, tag is awesome, from that crazy DRM threads from this Spring :D

dubc35: I will not be surprised if there will be something strange going on with engines supplied to Mclaren next year :p

Hammer24

Banned

There's no way they're getting 100hp more using the same amount of fuel. They're not building proton drives, this is well understood, mature tech.

Um, not really. Next years version of the KERS system will be totally new, revolutionary in every aspect, and the deciding factor. This year, you can use KERS for 6.67 secs. But next year for 33.3 secs a lap. The boost climbs from 60 to 120kW. The accumulator by a factor of ten.
When there is talk of a hundred more horses, than that's not about average, but peak performance.

I know it's almost completely off-topic, but here's a sorta nice looking picture from Ferrari's Twitter.

F57avJ0.jpg

I may or may not use it as a wallpaper.

Why is everyone talking about Kimi to Ferrari as its a done deal? It's hardly a rumor, last year it had more credibility especially when Kimi was directly asked about it and he didn't deny it. This time we have nothing!

Kimi said that he's talking to Redbull and that's it! Any other thing is the media's speculation

Dead Man

Radio Pitlane:

What a crock of shit. I don't care if an engine is better, but getting wider tyres specifically because one engine has more power? Ugh.

Pretty new to Grand Prix racing,going through the 2013 season race by race. I couldnt believe what I was seeing with the tire problems at Silverstone, what a disaster that was. Monaco was mildly offensive, that's one of the most exhilerating tracks on the planet and the rules turned it into two hours of pacing and tire management.
The Sky commentator I listened to for that race was shitting all over that, and I was glad he articulated his disgust in such a frank manner. Vettel doing his last lap two seconds faster than any one of his previous laps put the exclamation point on that farce.

Hammer24

Banned
Kimi said that he's talking to Redbull and that's it! Any other thing is the media's speculation

Nope, it isn´t. Right now Kimi is talking to RBR, LOT and FER.
How much of his talking to FER is only to gain leverage towards the other two is still speculation; but that he does at all, isn´t really a brownie point in his favor.

Brownie Points with who? you?
I dont think you factor in here :)
Whats worse, a slow poor death with Lotus as they go under, or being back in the mix with a top team?

Addnan

How many years does Kimi really have left in F1? Ferrari will always have money, but will they be able to not be shit before he leaves F1 :/

Milchjon

Just watching the Top Gear segment with Mark Webber. What a cunt, openly hating on Vettel!

Nah, he's actually quite likeable. "Mate".

I don't know. I'd say four seasons without a championship in a misfiring team would probably be worse. So near, but yet so far.

I don't see how Ferrari can be classed as misfiring, 2 2nds in the last few years and race wins every year, only beaten by what is commonly referred to as 'the strongest car for the last 4 years'
Surely Massa isn't racing to what the car is capable of???

Hammer24

Banned
Brownie Points with who? you?

Well yes. But after his more or less public fallout with Montezemolo, I think some more people will see it similarly.

I dont think you factor in here :)

True! :)

Whats worse, a slow poor death with Lotus as they go under, or being back in the mix with a top team?

FER doesn´t look as if they´d be able to reverse their fortunes anytime soon. Who knows how next years engines are going to play out, and if maybe LOT drives circles around FER?

I don't see how Ferrari can be classed as misfiring, 2 2nds in the last few years and race wins every year, only beaten by what is commonly referred to as 'the strongest car for the last 4 years'
Surely Massa isn't racing to what the car is capable of???

MAS it at least not helping to make a serious bid for the constructors title.
And FER themselves have gone on record time and again, that only titles are what counts for them. They probably coined the Top Gun term "The plaque for the alternates is down in the ladies room." ;-)

I agree with you Hammer, nearly on all points, but Ferrari have always been at the sharp end, alas not the sharpest. Even when the car has been terrible, 2012, they were in the WDC to the very end.
I think its a bit short sighted by the 'bored media' to write them off only half way through the season. They wont continue to get everything wrong, look at Mercedes early on this year.

They also aren't standing still, they are bringing in new faces until they get the configuration right. Allison could be a great decision on their part.

What they definitely need to do is eject Massa ASAP. He is not helping the team at all. I reject 100% the idea that Alonso 'demands' a weak teammate, and that's a major reason he is there.

It wouldn't surprise me if Catalunya turns out to be Ferrari's last win for the next few years. It's racing, so you never know what could happen, but I don't like their chances.

I do know what happened in those races, I saw them all. And anyone can see that Massa was having a bad season in 2010, and as it happens, there has been no change since then.
The facts are he had very bad results prior to Germany 2010. There is no other way of looking at it.

There is alot of nonsense written about Massa, saying that the spring and germany 2010 has changed him, but he and Smedley and SD and all of his Medical tests state differently: he is still the same driver. The reality is that he cant hook things up and needs to removed from Ferrari.

Three things happened to Massa:

Lost the WDC in the last lap at Interlagos
Crazy accident at Hungaroring
Team orders

I would say those affected him 10%, 80% and 10%. Team orders came when he was already a shell of himself. The accident really broke him. If he died back then, he would be considered a great driver.

Now, he´s just a running joke. It´s sad what happened with his carrear. Maybe retirement was the better option after the accident.

Pimpwerx

Three things happened to Massa:

Lost the WDC in the last lap at Interlagos
Crazy accident at Hungaroring

Team orders

I would say those affected him 10%, 80% and 10%. Team orders came when he was already a shell of himself. The accident really broke him. If he died back then, he would be considered a great driver.

Now, he´s just a running joke. It´s sad what happened with his carrear. Maybe retirement was the better option after the accident.

The first two. Lewis shattered his swag, then that rogue spring shattered the last of his confidence. It sucks, because he seems like a nice guy, but he's really lost the plot since the accident. Team orders haven't really hurt him much. He's been off Alonso's pace enough that he can't really complain. PEACE.

its not just Alonso, everyone at Ferrari is supportive of him. I am sure there is huge loyalty to a driver who nearly died while racing for them, but enough is enough.

Dead Man

I agree with you Hammer, nearly on all points, but Ferrari have always been at the sharp end, alas not the sharpest. Even when the car has been terrible, 2012, they were in the WDC to the very end.
I think its a bit short sighted by the 'bored media' to write them off only half way through the season. They wont continue to get everything wrong, look at Mercedes early on this year.

They also aren't standing still, they are bringing in new faces until they get the configuration right. Allison could be a great decision on their part.

What they definitely need to do is eject Massa ASAP. He is not helping the team at all. I reject 100% the idea that Alonso 'demands' a weak teammate, and that's a major reason he is there.

Ferrari had their wilderness years, that have gone through long stretches of being miles off the pace.

Risgroo

New F1 2013 trailer!

I know many of you aren't exactly huge fans of the Codemasters F1 games, but personally I've had a ton of fun with them, even though 2012 was a bit of a disappointment. 2013 looks good, but it's hard to tell without playing it, as always.

I can't help but notice how the game looks excellent in rainy conditions or I presume overcast, but when it is sunny or artificially lit it looks like balls.

Top Bottom