• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Soon, guys.

XexU1uw.jpg

Amazingly only Rubens Barrichello didn't make the restart, partly due to a small cut on his leg and also that both Stewarts were destroyed. I remember watching it happen, it was pinball in the fog.

^^ From start of the weekend to finish, probably the most memorable GP I've ever seen.

JV huge Eau Rouge crash in FP2, and then knife edge Q run which had Frank grinning ear to ear in the pits. Biggest crash ever with Ralf stopping on the side of the road, and Ricardo Rosset no-lifting into the pile. Hour long delay. Michael-Coulthard incident+fight. Huge Fisi crash. Damon-Ralf team orders. Jordan first GP win. There were about 10 cars that could have won, but they all kept crashing. Only 6 left at the finish.

I used to tape (VCR) all the races back then. I probably watched this one 50 times.

Adamm

New F1 2013 trailer!

I know many of you aren't exactly huge fans of the Codemasters F1 games, but personally I've had a ton of fun with them, even though 2012 was a bit of a disappointment. 2013 looks good, but it's hard to tell without playing it, as always.

I will wait to find out this is an unfinished buggy mess before considering buying it.
Codemasters has screwed us over too many times.

dubc35

RBR? No. FER? Nope. LOT again? Nah. Kimi to GP3 confirmed.
lol

“I wanted to test the GP3/13 because my friend Afa Heikkinen has a team in this series and I have been closely following their progress and results since the beginning of the season,” said Raikkonen.

“I was curious to see how the car handled and it was actually fun to drive. There were a few issues regarding its behaviour, but we managed to solve most of them.

“The GP3/13 is a very good tool for young drivers, especially when you have to learn about tyre management like we have in F1.”
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/08/16/raikkonen-tests-gp3-car-in-barcelona/

Shaneus

New F1 2013 trailer!

I know many of you aren't exactly huge fans of the Codemasters F1 games, but personally I've had a ton of fun with them, even though 2012 was a bit of a disappointment. 2013 looks good, but it's hard to tell without playing it, as always.
I saved myself an arseload of cash and heartache and just purchased F1 CE on PS3. I wish Studio Liverpool were still around and still had the license for F1 :(

Hammer24

Banned
LOT brings last shot car to Spa:
- return of the DDRS
- car gets 10cm longer, mainly on the front axle, so that a redesigned new nose is necessary
- car is so different, they have to make the crash tests anew
- Permane thinks the DDRS will save .3 secs per lap in Spa
- but Permane is adamant, that the change has nothing to do with the new tyres
- Pitlane thinks they are trying to work out their front axle problems this way (its said their fa is too heavy, thus their front tyres are graining first)

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Reports on twitter that Riccardio is the Webber replacement.
Congrats if true.

More sources confirming the story.

Lach

Yeah I was pretty sure of that. Some sources inside Red Bull (e.g. Buemi) had said it's pretty much decided back at Hungary....

Shaneus

Reports on twitter that Riccardio is the Webber replacement.
Congrats if true.

More sources confirming the story.
Waiting until Hammer24 confirms it or not ;)

If it was to be a new(ish) driver, I hope it's him... but I was hoping it was someone like Kimi who could genuinely give Vettel a run for his money, as opposed to Ricciardo who will no doubt take a few years to get accustomed to driving a top-tier car.

If that's the case, I think RBR can safely say goodbye to the Constructors' for the next year or two until the team and their drivers find their feet. Because I could almost guarantee that Vettel and Ricciardo, even in a Newey-designed car, could not do it in their first year with that driver configuration.

Or maybe I just hope that RBR see just how valuable Webber was in obtaining those points and how much they'll miss him come Constructors' time.

Dead Man

Not really. They've had long stretches of not winning championships, but they rarely go that long without at least being front runners.

They finished second in the contructers quite a few times, but had about half the points of the winners. They were not competitive at all between 91 and 96. Finished 4th in the points most years then.

Maybe not quite mid pack, but certainly not front runners.

LeBoef

that fucking f1 time schedule. plenty of sundays where i got nothing to do -> no f1
every damn sunday i go somewhere, like this weekend watching wsbk, its time for f1.

Shaneus

RIC to be officially announced this weekend.
Now we know, why Kimi is talking to FER right...?
I'm happy about this :) Was hoping for the Kimi thing to happen, but that was only to give Vettel a run for his money... WDC drivers head-to-head. But I'm hoping for great things from RIC. I wonder if Webber will take on somewhat of a mentor role until the end of the season (and even into 2014)?

Zeknurn

RIC to be officially announced this weekend.
Now we know, why Kimi is talking to FER right...?

I'm expecting (and hoping) that Ferrari's interest in Kimi will drop now that he isn't up for a seat at Red Bull.

As for Ricciardo, it's now up to him to not be completely forgettable for the first year at Red Bull. I would have rather seen him do another year at Torro Rosso to get ready.

Ricciardo is like the worst possible driver for the second Red Bull seat. He couldn't even beat Vergne in the last 1 1/2 years. Even if you say he has the talent to become a good driver, it's still many years too early for him.

If RBR doesnt recruit from their feeder program, whats the point of the feeder program?
Ric is a good driver who has extracted alot out of the TR, highest dry qualifying etc..
He was good in the YDT in the RBR, he has earned his spot.

Including Vettel, his main concerns should be RBR's achilles heel: KERS and its importance in 2014, less aero focus meaning less Newey magic.

Seanspeed

Banned
They finished second in the contructers quite a few times, but had about half the points of the winners. They were not competitive at all between 91 and 96. Finished 4th in the points most years then.

Maybe not quite mid pack, but certainly not front runners.
Depends on your definition of 'front runners' I guess. I think if you're competing for podiums on a fairly regular basis, you're at least a front runner.

As for finishing 4th most years,

1991 - 3rd
1992 - 4th
1993 - 4th
1994 - 3rd
1995 - 3rd
1996 - 2nd

Paints a slightly different picture.

NHale

Eddie Jordan believes Kimi will go to Ferrari. And Eddie has already proven is no fool about these kind of stuff.

That would explain why Alonso was so eager to criticize Ferrari's car and especially why LdM criticized him and made a point to do it publicly with a press release.

Alonso knows he can't handle Kimi with a similar car so he's pissed. Maybe he should go to RBR to still have a chance to beat his teammate.

Top Bottom