• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

dalin80

Banned
Interesting first race...

The first race is always a oddball as noone really knows what to expect, throw in a damp green street circuit and pretty cold temps and it becomes very hard to know what to expect.

Then we got to a few hot dusty tracks and things start to develop a pattern before the euro season.

Adamm

Vettel said on the radio after the race about good job etc. But then said "I know winter was shit"

Weren't most people saying rbr had a good winter testing?

Addnan

Grojsean didn't get all the new bits until FP3, well that explains some of his poor performance. He is going to have to step it up and help Raikkonen through the season.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
My housemate left the house because I was yelling too loudly at my TV (Thanks RBR for the failed KERS on MW's RB9)

Hulk, Ricciardo out...Webber's KERS failure. What a nightmare. It was a top race though. It's such a shame that Alonso settled for second. I wanted to see a Ferrari + Lotus showdown in the closing stages. Kimi drove impeccably. So awesome to see him on the top spot again. Even more so in black and gold.

Webber just said he didn't have KERS for the first 20 laps on german tv...

That potentially explains the typically 'Webber' start.

I knew the ice man would win after that dandruff commercial. LOL

ROFL. Dat hair. So smooth. Clearly Lotus have an aerodynamic advantage. There was no need for the snorkels on the airbox and passive DRS. Kimi's hair proved to be the most efficient in the grid.

Shaneus

No KERS for Webber? Have to fucking wonder how that happens so goddamn consistently. Christ almighty, he has either the worst fucking luck or someone is genuinely out to get him.

Also, for those times when people have said "Let's see how Vettel does when he's not in the best car" got their answer ;)

Hint: -2

That reminds me... Where's Omiee?

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
The Australian commercial coverage was a joke. I'm guessing that we got about 1/5th of the race that SKY and BBC viewers received. I have no idea how most fans watch the races live here. It feels like sitting through commercials for an hour and a half just to get a live result.

At least I know that Kimi has good hair thanks to Rexona and Clear. Important stuff.

I won't be watching a single second of commercial TV again for the remainder of the year.

McLaren = Fucked.

Vodafone and Santander are both almost out of the door, they have Honda engines in 2015 and they haven't got a massive mega star racer with which to win new and bigger sponsors. Now the car is performing like shit also, fuck Whitmarsh. It feels like McLaren are going to be Williams'd this season and the sponsors are slowly bailing out, just like Lewis. What the fuck is Whitmarsh doing?!?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
bloody hell, no wonder i couldnt find this thread, all hidden in the community section.

anywho :) my first time going to a grand prix and it was every bit as great as i'd hoped.

and gooo kimi

here's one of my photos from today. enjoy!

893627_496564667066853_1544869123_o.jpg

dalin80

Banned
McLaren = Fucked.

Vodafone and Santander are both almost out of the door, they have Honda engines in 2015 and they haven't got a massive mega star racer with which to win new and bigger sponsors. Now the car is performing like shit also, fuck Whitmarsh. It feels like McLaren are going to be Williams'd this season and the sponsors are slowly bailing out, just like Lewis. What the fuck is Whitmarsh doing?!?

In contrast Merc are enjoying a massive popularity boost which in turn leads to more TV time and more sponsor interest, everyone there seems pretty happy compared to mclaren where the team look about ready for a group suicide pact.

Shaneus

Coming from what I've seen of this weekend, is it safe to say that Lewis is trying REALLY hard to be the nonchalant badarse that Kimi is successfully pulling off?

The Australian commercial coverage was a joke. I'm guessing that we got about 1/5th of the race that SKY and BBC viewers received. I have no idea how most fans watch the races live here. It feels like sitting through commercials for an hour and a half just to get a live result.

At least I know that Kimi has good hair thanks to Rexona and Clear. Important stuff.

I won't be watching a single second of commercial TV again for the remainder of the year.
Ugh, don't remind me about it. The best thing about being at the GP was not having to deal with the fucking bullshit coverage we get in Australia (not to mention the fact that the guys "hosting" ALWAYS talk for far too long and never add anything interesting whatsoever). I wish there was a way for us to see the Sky version (or even the NBC one... is that on a free channel that we might be able to use VPN to access? TylerD?).

Did the NBC one wind up being any good? Are they covering all races?

Adamm

bloody hell, no wonder i couldnt find this thread, all hidden in the community section.

anywho :) my first time going to a grand prix and it was every bit as great as i'd hoped.

and gooo kimi

here's one of my photos from today. enjoy!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/893627_496564667066853_1544869123_o.jpg[/QUOTE]

Great pic :D

Shaneus

What the hell were McLaren thinking in Q2.
What the hell were they thinking in the race? Putting those supers on Perez was a fucking bad move.

Do we know who managed to get the most laps out of the SS tyres (and how many) before they fell off the cliff? Fucking joke, Pirelli.

PS. Nice photo, Holy! Whereabouts were you?

PPS. So are we calling it here, McLaren are about to do a Williams on us? I think I mentioned it first earlier today (or yesterday) but I don't think it's going to be a unique opinion after this weekend. Perez was fucked over hardcore.

BTW Would the KERS problem Webber had be the sole explanation for his shit start, or would there be other factors? I can only speculate that you'd probably change gears with a certain timing assuming that KERS was working and that if it wasn't, then you'd be changing gears FAR too quickly. Changing them appropriately without KERS would still be slower than with (obviously) but if you're in a KERS mindset in a non-KERS car, then you'll probably fuck it up even more.

Dilly

Banned
What the hell were they thinking in the race? Putting those supers on Perez was a fucking bad move.

Do we know who managed to get the most laps out of the SS tyres (and how many) before they fell off the cliff? Fucking joke, Pirelli.

Scrap that, what the hell are McLaren thinking in general?

Coming from what I've seen of this weekend, is it safe to say that Lewis is trying REALLY hard to be the nonchalant badarse that Kimi is successfully pulling off?

I think Niki Lauda is trying to teach him to keep a cool head and hide his emotions from public view. He has said so many times that he believes Lewis is the fastest driver in the paddock but he lets his emotions rule over logic which leads to failure.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

thanks guys :D

I started on corner 10 for the start of the race, then pretty much walked anti clockwise around the track to gate 3. Not sure where this photo was taken as i pretty much just walked and stopped on every corner or straight and spent a few laps there to enjoy seeing the race from as many angles as i could

Shaneus

Hamilton and Rosberg got to lap 13 and 14 at the start of the race, Ricciardo did 15 and perez did 16 and iam fairly sure they started on the SS's.

Awesome source of data-

http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page=results&gp=893&s=7191&p=2
Rad, thanks! For some reason I thought Ricciardo went on SS part-way through the race, but maybe not. Once my iPad is charged, I'll fire up the F1 app (which has all that stuff... and has a way to "replay" the race, stats-wise, so that'll work as well).

I think Niki Lauda is trying to teach him to keep a cool head and hide his emotions from public view. He has said so many times that he believes Lewis is the fastest driver in the paddock but he lets his emotions rule over logic which leads to failure.
Makes sense. I think one of the biggest things Lewis has needed and been largely lacking is a mentor-figure, at least as far as his racing career goes. Someone like Lauda (I'd imagine) would be a prime candidate.

I'm so conflicted after this weekend. I went in thinking Lewis was more of a douche than I'd ever thought, now I'm kinda liking him again. Wasn't a fan of Chilton but he managed to keep his nose clean for the most part. I'm not minding Sutil being there as much, mostly because of his performance. Also thought that Massa was just going to do "okay" and more hoping he'd be good rather than expecting it, but he really came into his own for the most part. And McLaren... fucking hell. I honestly couldn't believe just how much bad shit Button was saying about the car, but for the most part it seems that he's bang-on. Had no idea they'd be as bad as they were. Williams 2.0.

But it's good, though. I'd much rather have my preconceptions challenged rather than confirmed. Helps me learn a lot more about the sport I love.

ramparter

Banned
I have to admit I never expected Hamilton's choice to switch teams would turn out to be SO right. I still have many fears for Mercedes, mainly of their to disability all these years to make the most of their cars potential, but McLaren right now look more doomed than Nintendo :p

dalin80

Banned
I have to admit I never expected Hamilton's choice to switch teams would turn out to be SO right. I still have many fears for Mercedes, mainly of their to disability all these years to make the most of their cars potential, but McLaren right now look more doomed than Nintendo :p

Merc never looked comfortable before in past years each time you watched them it was like they didn't want to be there, this year seems to be a burst of energy and enthusiasm, all they need now is a slightly less dull corporate image and a more interesting car paint job.

Lach

I really liked the swiss coverage today. They had Sebastien Buemi as co-comentator for the first time during the race (at least as far as I can remember). He's done it for most of the qualifyings last year. He does a great job explaining things and his analysing is usually spot on. He's also very good at staying neutral (him being RB reserver driver).

For the post race stuff I had to go to RTL (german) today. Lauda is awesome as always and the pairing of him and the main presenter is still awesomely awkward. They focus too much on the german drivers for my taste but it's all I'm getting on non bbc weekends. Lauda said he was a big fan of Kimi because he's always so cool. He had to agree when the other guy asked him if it's also because Kimi reminds him of a younger self...

Shaneus

Does some website list the tyres used by each driver? I know they're shown during races, but I can't find anything on the official F1 site.
I know the F1 app on iOS would have that sort of info... it'd have to get it from somewhere.

Edit: Here's a resized screen from my iPad 3, which has all the tyre info:
Looks like the Mercs were the best on 15 and 16 laps respectively, but other than that, there was one on 12 (ALO), two on 10 (MAS, RAI) and the rest were under 10 (ie. VET on 9, WEB on 7). No tyre should be that bad... should it? Has one ever been that bad before?

I hope Ferrari it's competitive in the remaining races like today, I can't wait to see Alonso with a great car fighting against Kimi, Vettel or Hamilton head to head all season long.

Great win by Kimi.

Makes sense. I think one of the biggest things Lewis has needed and been largely lacking is a mentor-figure, at least as far as his racing career goes. Someone like Lauda (I'd imagine) would be a prime candidate.

I'm so conflicted after this weekend. I went in thinking Lewis was more of a douche than I'd ever thought, now I'm kinda liking him again. Wasn't a fan of Chilton but he managed to keep his nose clean for the most part. I'm not minding Sutil being there as much, mostly because of his performance. Also thought that Massa was just going to do "okay" and more hoping he'd be good rather than expecting it, but he really came into his own for the most part. And McLaren... fucking hell. I honestly couldn't believe just how much bad shit Button was saying about the car, but for the most part it seems that he's bang-on. Had no idea they'd be as bad as they were. Williams 2.0.

But it's good, though. I'd much rather have my preconceptions challenged rather than confirmed. Helps me learn a lot more about the sport I love.

I think Lewis had a mentor at McLaren while Ron Denis was in charge, you can see once Ron left his day to day role Lewis' performance levels dropped off and he seemed distracted. McLaren as a team weren't getting the best out of their number one driver, and that is something Whitmarsh needs to answer for. Whitmarsh pushed Lewis out of the team, they can say what they like about money, but the reality is that Lewis was frustrated about the lack of focus at the team and the splitting of resources that didn't favour the fastest driver hampering his WDC charge every fucking season.

If Mercedes can get their tyre wear sorted to make two stoppers more viable then Lewis has a very good chance of challenging for the title.

Now McLaren are looking at the abyss, Whitmarsh has pushed out the star driver and engineer, they are leaking sponsors and they have fallen far, far behind the competition with the MP4-28. It's a fucking dire situation and I fear for McLaren, even though I love Lewis, I love McLaren more, to me they are the greatest racing team to grace F1 so much awesome tech and focus. I don't want them to end up like Williams, but I can only think of one way they ensure the relevancy, which is a big, big money move for Adrian Newey and Seb to come over, tell Jenson to fuck off and have a clear out at the top with Whitmarsh falling on his sword.

Shaneus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td1ZxxUubCY

what great news to wake up to :)

GO KIMI!!!
Love it. Never seen that one before.

Now, are there any F1-themed Hitler meme clips? With Bernie at the helm, there has to be heaps! Find them for me, my pretties.

Edit: I don't see both Seb *and* Newey moving over. But I can see Newey making the shift. Wasn't the sole reason he didn't move to someone like Ferrari the fact that he'd have to leave the UK? McL would be perfect. And Newey seems to love a challenge.

I think I'd be happy with a Newey-centred McLaren.

From the press conference
Q. (Don Kennedy – Hawkes Bay Today) Kimi, that seemed to be a very popular win judging by the crowd reaction out there. Can we perhaps expect a re-release of the 'I know what I'm doing' t-shirts? They're pretty popular, I gather. They only had a hundred released and they sold out. Can we have a few more?

KR: No.

PFFFTTWAAAHAHAHA

dalin80

Banned
Good race that, feel bad for Sutil though, bad call changing tyres so early.

It was always going to bite him at some point, the commentary I was listening too completely missed the fact that he still needed to run the soft tyre and were for the longest time presuming he wouldn't have to stop again.

Edit: I don't see both Seb *and* Newey moving over. But I can see Newey making the shift. Wasn't the sole reason he didn't move to someone like Ferrari the fact that he'd have to leave the UK? McL would be perfect. And Newey seems to love a challenge.

I think I'd be happy with a Newey-centred McLaren.

Getting Newey in would just be one step as a new car takes time to develop, McLaren need results now and they need a star driver to get big sponsor money. It's no coincidence that the sponsor money is starting to leak just after Lewis left. They need to step in and stop the rot, get both on a big money deal for next season and announce it now, Seb replaces Jenson and Newey steps in for Paddy Lowe. They need to take action now or face irrelevancy.

Jensen

I think Newey going back to McLaren is unlikely, he moved to Red Bull specifically to take a midfield team to the front of the grid and is payed very well there. McLaren just seem to be paying the price for being the only top team to make significant changes to their car compared to last years.

Great race to start the season, Ferrari and Lotus had by the far the best long stints on Friday they just needed to choose the right strategy to get themselves to the front.

Shaneus

From the press conference

PFFFTTWAAAHAHAHA
I saw lots of them today. I don't think they were officially sanctioned ones ;)

Getting Newey in would just be one step as a new car takes time to develop, McLaren need results now and they need a star driver to get big sponsor money. It's no coincidence that the sponsor money is starting to leak just after Lewis left. They need to step in and stop the rot, get both on a big money deal for next season and announce it now, Seb replaces Jenson and Newey steps in for Paddy Lowe. They need to take action now or face irrelevancy.
Newey and Webber then ;)

It was always going to bite him at some point, the commentary I was listening too completely missed the fact that he still needed to run the soft tyre and were for the longest time presuming he wouldn't have to stop again.
I think it was more hoping that they could've cut it closer. But expecting 12 or so laps (or whatever it was) wasn't unrealistic. They just dropped off FAR earlier than expected. But I'm pretty sure the team noted just how well he performed vs. Di Resta.

I think Newey going back to McLaren is unlikely, he moved to Red Bull specifically to take a midfield team to the front of the grid and is payed very well there. McLaren just seem to be paying the price for being the only top team to make significant changes to their car compared to last years.

Great race to start the season, Ferrari and Lotus had by the far the best long stints on Friday they just needed to choose the right strategy to get themselves to the front.

If McLaren continues like this, Newey can do exactly the same. Getting a midfield team on the top.

Top Bottom