• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

NHale

The 82 vs 18 comment is so silly. If there was any doubts about his diva status he had to reaffirm it by making a comment like this one. Did it hurt him so much to get beaten by his teammate at Monza to have to defend himself like this?

Was anyone dumb enough to even question Alonso's ability compared to Massa's just based on this qualify that he had to "defend" himself like this?

Pimpwerx

Just finished my recording. All I gotta say is...

FUCK SUTIL!

Time for football. I'm so damn mad right now. He wasn't gonna get pole, but Lewis was actually going to make Q3 competitive. Lewis did cock up his banker lap though, so I can't fully put it on Sutil. It's just annoying as hell. PEACE.

Addnan

Grosjean hoverhanding looool

So he's a Gaffer?

"How do you approach a corner at Monza?"

DHx21Ff.jpg

I don't think he has that sort of a problem :p

Ce-Lin

Was anyone dumb enough to even question Alonso's ability compared to Massa's just based on this qualify that he had to "defend" himself like this?

That's the Alonso who is a genuine genius on track but a spoilt brat off track, he's too competitive, hates loosing to someone labelled as an inferior driver, he's too passionate and it gets to him so easily... but still the only driver capable of facing Vettel these past three years.

NHale

That's the Alonso who is a genuine genius on track but a spoilt brat off track, he's too competitive, hates loosing to someone labelled as an inferior driver, he's too passionate and it gets to him so easily... but still the only driver capable of facing Vettel these past three years.

He's also a spoiled brat on track. Just from the top of my head I remember him complaining with Petrov in Abu Dhabi and Glock in Bahrain because they were ahead of him fighting for position, like he was entitled to get ahead of them. Of course there was also the infamous Hungary qualifying debacle with Lewis Hamilton but that was on a complete different level.

Of course unlike some would like to believe he's hardly the only one with this kind of behavior like this year Hungary GP clearly showed.

DD

He's also a spoiled brat on track. Just from the top of my head I remember him complaining with Petrov in Abu Dhabi and Glock in Bahrain because they were ahead of him fighting for position, like he was entitled to get ahead of them. Of course there was also the infamous Hungary qualifying debacle with Lewis Hamilton but that was on a complete different level.

Of course unlike some would like to believe he's hardly the only one with this kind of behavior like this year Hungary GP clearly showed.

Germany 2010.

Ce-Lin

undisclosed engineer from Ferrari scuderia is reporting in Spanish sports radio show now that Fernando transmitted to garage "you all ruined my qualification, why do we plan 10 days of strategy just to f* it up like this, you're all useless, I'm not in the right team, the car is useless, but you're all as well useless and stupid"... wow, I think he's been given the boot or he has agreed his seat somewhere else already, it's too much for a mistake in the "tow" strategy that was only going to give him a position over his team mate, 4th instead of 5th, nothing more.

if I was LdM I would not let him race, teach him a lesson.

Addnan

undisclosed engineer from Ferrari scuderia is reporting in Spanish sports radio show now that Fernando transmitted to garage "you all ruined my qualification, why do we plan 10 days of strategy just to f* it up like this, you're all useless, I'm not in the right team, the car is useless, but you're all as well useless and stupid"... wow, I think he's been given the boot or he has agreed his seat somewhere else already, it's too much for a mistake in the "tow" strategy that was only going to give him a position over his team mate, 4th instead of 5th, nothing more.

It's on Monza though. He's not gonna drop Alonso there, they need a good result.

Omiee

no way he said all that

Ce-Lin

no way he said all that

Alonso is informed of everything said there, so if it's a lie (why would Ferrari staff lie ?) then the Samurai could draw the sword... it's an epic shitstorm anyways

and according to that source Alonso drove the last flying lap cursing left and right and very aggressive, so aggressive that he made a mistake and put half a tire on the gravel and lost 4 tenths in a strange waving, funny he could have achieved pole or P2 had not been for that "mad driving" stuff, he needs to cool down...

I wonder if Alonso is actually trying to get fired, so as to get out of his contract.

The quotes and incidents that paint Alonso as being the biggest prick always come secondhand from undisclosed team personnel.

Define "biggest". I'm an Alonso fan but we've seen plenty of his diva behaviour first hand over the years... especially when someone dares challenge him.

kharma45

Schumacher made a good point I felt on the BBC with Fernando and Ferrari, basically keep your complaints within the team itself and don't be hanging them out to dry in public as it doesn't help anyone http://youtu.be/gvGHYsdTzYM

Leunam

nIM2GsT.png

KaizorPenguin said:
Now that the second half of the season is well underway, these next few races are crucial for anyone hoping to beat Sebastian Vettel to the Drivers' Championship. After Spa, Fernando Alonso seems to be emerging as the main threat. He will be hoping to put on a show for Ferrari's passionate home fans, and to finally start closing the points gap to Vettel.

Even if the end result might not turn out to be what people are hoping for, we will still get to see Formula 1 cars attack one of the best and most historic tracks in the world.

NHale said:
While anything is still possible until the end, the last European race of the season can very well be the coronation of Sebastian Vettel as a 4-time World Champion. In the past Red Bull has not been as fast in Monza as in other tracks but since the change in the tyres compounds, they recovered their past domination and if that remains in Monza, it is expected that other teams will just quit development of the 2013 car and allocate their resources to the very important 2014 car, especially considering the rest of the tracks in the calendar were usually very favorable to Red Bull even when Red Bull didn't dominate.

Ferrari would be delighted to stop the unstoppable Vettel at home and offer a great result to their fans but as it seems they would need a little help from the Monza ghosts.

2012 Race Summary

Felipe Massa made a great start to pass Jenson Button for second place. He pulled alongside pole sitter Lewis Hamilton going into the first chicane, but Hamilton had the inside line and was able to stay ahead. Fernando Alonso was able to make his way up from 10th to 7th place by the end of the first lap, and passed Kimi Räikkönen for 6th going into the first chicane on the second lap.

On lap 4, Sebastian Vettel passed Michael Schumacher under braking into the first chicane for 4th place. One lap later, Bruno Senna attempted to pass Nico Rosberg around the outside into the first chicane. Senna turned into Rosberg, they banged wheels, and Senna went straight through the chicane to take 11th. Fernando Alonso was able to pass Schumacher coming out of the Parabolica on lap 7.

On lap 8, Bruno Senna tried to pass Paul di Resta on the outside going into the second chicane. Di Resta moved over, forcing Senna onto the gravel. Senna went straight through the chicane and back onto the racing line right in front of Mark Webber, who dodged around him as they entered the first Lesmo corner. On the next lap, Jean-Éric Vergne had a right rear suspension failure under braking into the first chicane. He spun and slid sideways over one of the curbs, launching his car into the air over the chicane.
Jenson Button retook 2nd place from Felipe Massa in the 2nd chicane on lap 19.

Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel pitted at the same time on lap 21, and came out right behind Massa with only a car's length separating each of the three. Lewis Hamilton pitted on lap 24, allowing Sergio Pérez, who hadn't pitted yet, to take the lead from 2nd.
On lap 26, Fernando Alonso tried to go around the outside of Sebastian Vettel through Curva Grande. Vettel moved to the outside, pushing Alonso off the track and onto the gravel. The move was similar to a move Alonso pulled on Vettel the year before, but this time Vettel was given a drive-through penalty. Alonso was able to pass Vettel on lap 29, and the drive-through on lap 35 put Vettel in 9th place behind Webber.

Lewis Hamilton retook the lead from Sergio Pérez on lap 29. Pérez pitted on the next lap and came back out in 8th place. Jenson Button retired on lap 34 following a sudden loss of fuel pressure. This moved Felipe Massa back up to 2nd with Fernando Alonso and Sergio Pérez gaining on him. Massa was passed by Alonso on lap 40, and then by Pérez three laps later. Pérez quickly chased down Alonso and passed him on lap 46.
Sebastian Vettel retired on lap 47 with a failed alternator. On lap 51, Mark Webber clipped the curb on the exit of the Ascari chicane and spun. He fell out of the point-scoring positions and retired due to severely flat-spotted tires.

Lewis Hamilton won the race, with Sergio Pérez, who started 13th, in second and quickly catching him. Fernando Alonso completed the podium, having started 10th.

qXLogJ4.png

[Click for Onboard]

XR8gX.png

Laps
53​
Circuit length
5.793 km (3.600 mi)​
Race length
306.720 km (190.596 mi)​
Lap Record
Rubens Barrichello - Ferrari - 2004 - 1:21.046​
Most Wins (Drivers)
Michael Schumacher (5)​
Most Wins (Constructors)
Ferrari (19)​

Previous Winners & Pole Positions

2012 - Winner: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes
Pole: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes - 1:24.010​
2011 - Winner: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Renault
Pole: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Renault - 1:22.275​
2010 - Winner: Fernando Alonso - Ferrari
Pole: Fernando Alonso - Ferrari - 1:21.962​
2009 - Winner: Rubens Barichello - Brawn Mercedes
Pole: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes - 1:24.066​
2008 - Winner: Sebastian Vettel - Toro Rosso Ferrari
Pole: Sebastian Vettel - Toro Rosso Ferrari - 1:37.555​
2007 - Winner: Fernando Alonso - McLaren Mercedes
Pole: Fernando Alonso - McLaren Mercedes - 1:21.997​
2006 - Winner: Michael Schumacher - Ferrari
Pole: Kimi Räikkönen - McLaren Mercedes - 1:21.484​
2005 - Winner: Juan Pablo Montoya - McLaren Mercedes
Pole: Juan Pablo Montoya - McLaren Mercedes - 1:21.054​

Video Highlights

Highlights from the 2008 Italian Grand Prix.

Changes from 2012

-The leading edges of the kerbs at the apex of Turn 1 and 4 will be longer, to avoid the possibility of a car being launched when crossing them.

-The kerb at the exit of Turn 6 will be extended by 20m in order to prevent damage to the grass verge.

-At the exit of Turn 10, the kerb and artificial grass will be extended by 50m.

-The section of guardrail just before the opening on the driver’s left at Turn 1 will be replaced by a wall.

GP Facts

-The Italian Grand Prix has featured on the calendar every year since the world championship’s inception in 1950. The race has been held at Monza each time, save for 1980 when the event was run at Imola as Monza was being refurbished.

-Of the current drivers, just three have won at Monza. Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso are the only current multiple winners, with two apiece, while Lewis Hamilton won last year.

-At the 2008 race, Sebastian Vettel, driving for Toro Rosso, became the sport’s youngest ever pole position man and followed it up by driving flawlessly in heavy rain to become F1’s youngest race winner at just 21 years of age. Previous record holder Fernando Alonso was 22 when he won the 2003 Hungarian GP.

-Only once has the race been won from further back than 10th on the grid. That was Peter Gethin’s famous 1971 win, when the top five finishers were separated by just 0.61 seconds.

-Force India’s Adrian Sutil made the only front-row start of his career so far at Monza in 2009. The German qualified second behind Lewis Hamilton and raced to fourth. It’s his only top-10 Italian GP finish so far.

gpMVjpo.png

Drivers Championship Standings

3iBYg0X.png

Constructors Championship Standings

LC1aSaJ.png

Fantasy Championship Standings

GamNCyz.png

Yeah, that REALLY happened. no source no nothing.
I think actual quotes from the man himself have value:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24003549

A source close to Ferrari said Alonso actually used both words - "geni" (geniuses) when he was coming out of the pits to start his final run and "scemi" (idiots) in a message later on in that lap, which was the one broadcast on television.

Shaneus

Oh god, I remember Monza last year. Webber was up for the win or a podium or something before clipping that wall, yes?

I was so overjoyed when Vettel DNFed. Hoping for history to repeat itself in that regard.

Seanspeed

Banned
undisclosed engineer from Ferrari scuderia is reporting in Spanish sports radio show now that Fernando transmitted to garage "you all ruined my qualification, why do we plan 10 days of strategy just to f* it up like this, you're all useless, I'm not in the right team, the car is useless, but you're all as well useless and stupid"

Haha. C'mon now.

Yeah, that REALLY happened. no source no nothing.
I think actual quotes from the man himself have value:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24003549

A source close to Ferrari said Alonso actually used both words - "geni" (geniuses) when he was coming out of the pits to start his final run and "scemi" (idiots) in a message later on in that lap, which was the one broadcast on television.

He only said geni, and the broadcasted message was from Q2. It seems that Ferrari took the Spanish and Italian press and played the radio message to clarify that he said geni and not scemi.

Seanspeed

Banned
Well, it's not really that important what he said. It's obvious that the relationship between Alonso and his team is not the best anymore.
Even if its not 'the best', that doesn't automatically mean its bad.

Too many people like to dream up what they think things are like behind closed doors.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Weather is slowly deteriorating in Monza, overcast and chance of storms during race window is up to 55%

Even if its not 'the best', that doesn't automatically mean its bad.

Too many people like to dream up what they think things are like behind closed doors.

Spot on. Too many 'English media' types around here, who are the worse F1 fans.
Even though LdM and Alonso say there is no problem.. there MUST be a problem! I mean its the evil Spaniard again!
Even though its a complete non-story and its been explained by Ferrari, many places are still running the incorrect interpretation of the call..

total nonsense.

Hopefully the RBR's tangle a bit today giving Alonso a chance to get in the mix by lap2.
More than likely Choker Webler will be nowhere by the Lesmos.

Top Bottom