• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Apparently he told Jennie Gow he doesn't care about this year, all about next. Why don't they just kick him out now.
Probably due to contract details, they are on short leash with money and any early kicking out from the team would spell disaster.

He will fit nicely into Lotus :p

Chris R

Sutil crying about traffic here? Lawl

Edit: attendance seems way down from last year... Wonder if it will be better tomorrow...

Nice lap by Vettel. curious to see how devastating he is tomorrow.

The only time I wish I was in Texas. Would love to do trackdays there. Looks like an awesome layout.

One of the best qualifying sessions for a while. I really thought Webber had it there, he was on fire. Amazing that their cars had such different setups that had them going faster / slower in particular bits of the track.

TylerD

Nice lap by Vettel. curious to see how devastating he is tomorrow.

The only time I wish I was in Texas. Would love to do trackdays there. Looks like an awesome layout.

It is a great spectators circuit. From the apex of 12 last year I could see 11-12 turns.

Vettel, just a monster...

Juicy Bob

after a promising win in Hungary, its been utter shit for Lewis since then. I really hope Mercedes pulls its shit together for next season.
I think it's very hard to judge the form of any of the teams after Hungary, because of how many may have abandoned this year's car to focus on 2014.

NHale

Will Buxton appears to be convinced that Maldonado will end up at Force India and DiResta is the odd man out.

He also tweeted he believes DiResta could fill in as Franchitti's replacement.

However I'm still on EJ side and believing The Hulk will end up at FI.

Goldrusher

FIA
presents​
Maldonado's Revenge

Esteban Gutierrez and Max Chilton have been hit with penalties for the United States Grand Prix following their incidents during qualifying.

Sauber driver Gutierrez has been handed a 10-place grid penalty for impeding Williams rival Pastor Maldonado four minutes into the first qualifying segment.

"Car #12 unnecessarily impeded car #16 between Turns 19 and 20 whilst performing manoeuvres that the stewards consider dangerous," said the stewards in a statement.

Gutierrez had qualified in 10th position and will start 20th on Sunday.

Marussia's Chilton was also penalised for impeding Maldonado later in Q1 and then Force India's Adrian Sutil, but the Briton, already starting last, will have to serve a drive-through penalty in the first five laps of the race.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111401

Juicy Bob

That suggests that it was their fault and not because of the team failing to notify them that they should get out of the way. Which kind of shows just how bad these two are.

dubc35

Shake n bake, damnit! Amazing final sector by VET!

Great turnout by KOV!

Shocking news: McL car is shit

edit, rofl at MAL saying the team is tampering with his car!

Leunam

0k3J2LF.png

2012 Race Summary

At the start, Vettel led from pole position and Webber passed Hamilton before entering the first corner. Alonso made a good start to gain 3 places. Vettel opened up a lead over Webber before Hamilton passed the Australian in the DRS zone on the long straight from T11 to T12 on Lap 4. Webber would later retire on Lap 17 when KERS shut down and eventually the alternator failed on the Red Bull car. Vettel would pit on Lap 22 but retained the lead over Räikkönen, Hamilton, Massa, and Alonso. Hamilton was able to catch and pass Vettel on Lap 42 in the DRS zone and kept the lead into turn 12. McLaren's Lewis Hamilton would go on to win the race followed by Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel and Ferrari's Fernando Alonso. Bruno Senna, nephew of Ayrton Senna, scored his final Formula One point to date.

gO9N43N.png

[Click for Onboard]

Most Wins (Drivers)
Michael Schumacher (5)​
Most Wins (Constructors)
Ferrari (9)​

Previous Winners & Pole Positions

2012 - Winner: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes
Pole: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Renault - 1:35.657​
2011 - Event Not Held

2010 - Event Not Held

2009 - Event Not Held

2008 - Event Not Held

2007 - Winner: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes
Pole: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes - 1:12.331​
2006 - Winner: Michael Schumacher - Ferrari
Pole: Michael Schumacher - Ferrari - 1:10.832​
2005 - Winner: Michael Schumacher - Ferrari
Pole: Jarno Trulli - Toyota - 1:10.625​

Video Highlights

US Grand Prix from 1977

Highlights from the 2003 US Grand Prix

Highlights from the 2012 US Grand Prix

Changes from 2012

-Removable kerbs, 50mm high, similar to those used at the apex of Turns Eight and Nine in Abu Dhabi, have been installed at the apex of Turns Three, Four and Five. Similar kerbs, 75mm high, have been placed at the apex of Turns Seven and Nine.

GP Facts

-Including Austin, Formula One has staged races at 10 different venues in the United States. Indianapolis Motor Speedway kicked things off with races from 1950-1960 and then staged the US GP again from 2000-2007. Following Indianapolis’ first stint, F1 World Championship races have also been held at Sebring (1959), Riverside (1960), Watkins Glen (1961-’80), Long Beach (1976-’83), Las Vegas (1981-’82), Detroit (1982-’88), Dallas (1984) and Phoenix (1989-’91).

-Alan Jones is the only driver to win at more than two US venues. The Australian racer took his first victory on American soil at the 1980 US Grand Prix at Watkins Glen and the following year he won races at Long Beach and Las Vegas. All three triumphs were achieved at the wheel of Williams cars.

-Lewis Hamilton is the only current driver to have won at more than one US circuit. The Briton took his second grand prix victory at the 2007 race in Indianapolis and landed his 21st win at last year’s inaugural Austin event. On both occasions he was driving for McLaren.

-Michael Schumacher is the most successful Formula One driver at races designated as the United States Grand Prix. The seven-time champion won five times at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, in 2000 and from 2003-’06. The German’s 2005 win was notorioulsy scored at the grand prix with the fewest starters in F1 history. Just six cars raced the ’05 event after questions over tyre safety caused the withdrawal of 14 cars.

-Next on the list of biggest winners are Jim Clark and Graham Hill, with three wins each. The pair dominated the US Grand Prix at Watkins Glen for a six-year spell in the 1960s, with Clark winning in 1962 and then claiming back-to-back victories in 1966-’67. Hill, meanwhile, rattled off a hat-trick of wins from 1963-’65.

-Though California’s Alexander Rossi will take part in this weekend’s first practice session, the last US driver to start a home grand prix was Scott Speed in 2007. Driving for Toro Rosso, he started 20th and finished 13th at Indianapolis. Speed made his GP weekend debut with Red Bull Racing at the Canadian Grand Prix in 2005 in a practice session and made his race debut for Toro Rosso the following year in the opening round in Bahrain. He made 29 more starts for Toro Rosso before losing his race seat after the 2007 European Grand Prix at the Nurburgring. His replacement? None other than four-time champion elect Sebastian Vettel.

-If Vettel wins this weekend, he will take the outright record for most consecutive wins in a single season. Vettel currently has seven wins in a row to his credit.

f5l5Hj3.png

Drivers Championship Standings

D36HFWq.png

Constructors Championship Standings

BTWWmQ2.png

Fantasy Championship Standings

6UWKN9Z.png

well, nobody can say Seb didnt earn that fucking pole. I thought for sure Webbah had it in the bag. I hope Grosjean can split the RBR one-two right from the start. Maybe Hulkenberg can have a go at them too, I predict another shoddy start from Webbah

Just a heads up: after I put up the off-season thread I'm no longer going to be doing the F1 threads or previews.

I understand your decision and I'm very thankful for your contribution to this community, even after all what happened in the past two seasons. I hope your still going to stick around.

Milchjon

Yeah, even as a casual follower, those posts were really impressive. Thanks Leunam!

Anyway, I was ready for some F1 with my morning coffee. Why do they have to compete with the NFL when it comes to start times. I mean, obviously the rest of the world won't care, but that doesn't seem like the best way to win US-fans.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Leuman, thanks for very informative posts during this and all other seasons. Really good stuff and it will be missed.

Hackbert

yeah, thanks for all of your great work Leunam, pleasure reading your informative posts.
First race since a few weeks which i am able to watch completely. Great Track as always.

Top Bottom